!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 247078 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3690 on: November 04, 2019, 06:05:13 PM »
The wall is looking good Laurence.
Could I suggest afew more abutments to break things up a little?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3691 on: November 04, 2019, 06:10:15 PM »

I agree. But may I point out that 'ahbut' is my phrase.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3692 on: November 04, 2019, 07:12:50 PM »

Don't you mean 'Yes, but'?
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3693 on: November 04, 2019, 07:14:39 PM »
Thanks Martin
The odd buttress might be appropriate.  I would have to see how to add them, now I have made the lengths of wall.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3694 on: November 04, 2019, 07:21:38 PM »

Not when I'm from Yorkshire!  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #3695 on: November 04, 2019, 10:44:24 PM »

Not when I'm from Yorkshire!  ;)
:hellosign:
  I'll second that, nice one Dave.
   Excellent progress Laurence all looking good.  :thumbsup:
         regards Derek

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3696 on: November 05, 2019, 06:30:09 PM »
Today was a gym day and I managed an operating session in the Train Shed before we went.  In the afternoon, we had agreed to take some interview clothes and chefís attire to Cat Zero for their people.  Then we had a carpet man call to measure up for a new bedroom carpet.  Before he called, I had an hour in the Train Shed.  I was able to take down the Create and Shape that arrived during the day. 

Its just like the low density filler used by locksmiths and others.  I used it to smooth over the surface of the ramp down to the goods depot, ready for adding some Ďtarmací.

After that, I started on the buttresses suggested by forum members for the wall along the edge of the goods yard.  I have made two so far, but I will make more before continuing the wall further along to the ramp.

I have a council meeting this evening, so my Train Shed activities have been curtailed a bit.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3697 on: November 06, 2019, 06:37:50 PM »
Today was another gym day and I was able to make another visit to the Train Shed before we set off.  I had another operating session, the final one before I can clean the track again.  Everything was going well until I tried to do too many things at once and the trains got out of kilter a bit.  Then the controller software had an embolism and I lost control of everything.  Even a global emergency stop failed.  So I had to switch off the power and then reboot, after which everything returned to normal.  It may have been a hangover because I began by starting Eire instead of Cranmore Hall and so there was a short circuit when Eire reached the exit points from the UP loops.  After the false strart, every seemed OK until the controller freaked out.

This appears to be one detraction of DCC.  Because the controller runs under the control of a pretty complicated computer program.  If the computer crashes, the consequences are dire as all control is lost and the power has to be switched off.  It happens only rarely and may be caused by a short a circuit.  It may also be specific to my Gaugemaster controller.  However, for 99% of the time, the system works brilliantly.

After that, all the trains ran smoothly until the milk train ran into the DOWN loops, when one of the milk tanks derailed and split the train.  This has happened before in the same place, but it never happened before I swapped the milk train and pickup goods, which use the same loops, with 6417 and its ĎBí set, which now uses their original loops.  I made the swap because the Union Mills J26 didnít like Loop 18, but was OK using Loop 17.  I will have to experiment with the loop allocations to see if I can overcome the problem.  The long term solution will be to lift all the track in the loops and relay it more carefully.

In the afternoon, I had a visitor and then spent a while commissioning a new food slicer that I had ordered to replace the old one which had given up the ghost.  Then I had another session in the Train Shed.  I made the last two buttresses that I needed for the existing wall sections and then started on new sections of wall.  First, I had to cut and assemble new substrate because I had used all the original sections.  Then I made the short section along the top of the ramp down to the goods depot.  Hereís the existing wall with the new section added.

I next need to make the connecting section, together with a couple of buttresses to cover the joins.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3698 on: November 06, 2019, 06:53:32 PM »
It may have been a hangover because ....

Not too much red wine I hope Laurence  :D

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3699 on: November 07, 2019, 07:13:22 PM »
Today, I had to go into Hessle early for a haircut.  It has been raining continuously here today, but, fortunately, I have a long riding coat and a wide brimmed hat, so I was able to do my Sandman impression (the port wine, not the bringer of sleep, although the two may be synonymous).  When I returned, we had coffee and then it was Celiaís turn to go off to the hairdressers.  By then it was raining really hard, so I got the car out of the garage and ran her into town.  While she was away, I made a quick visit to the Train Shed.  I was able to make the missing section of wall and one of the buttresses to go with it.

After Celia returned, we had a quick midday snack because we (or more correctly, I) had the opera group in the afternoon.  Celia canít stand what she calls Ďscreaming sopranosí.  It was Rosiniís (Mr Crescendo, as Steve Race once called him) La Cenerentola (in other words, Cinderalla), which was brilliant.  By the time everyone had gone, it was dark and still raining pretty hard, so another visit to the Train Shed was out of the question.  So, as todayís activity was a bit truncated, I though it was about time that I showed the next video.

I hope you enjoyed it and I hope to have more news to post tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3700 on: November 08, 2019, 06:59:47 PM »
Well, the rain finally stopped at 03:45 and it was a bright start to the morning; not that it lasted.  But at least we had a cheerful start when we set off for Driffield.  I managed a short session in the Train Shed before we set off.  Overnight, I decided to try swapping the milk and pickup goods trains from Loops 7 and 17 with the parcels train from Loops 6 and 16.  So I moved the milk train into the milk depot and the pickup goods into the goods depot so that I could bring out the parcels train and then run it in and out of Loops 7 and 17.  That all worked well, so I then ran the milk train and pickup goods in and out of Loops 6 and 16.  Once again, everything worked perfectly, so that left me free to reset the routes on my next visit to the Train Shed.

When we arrived in Driffield, the weather was still fine and we slipped into the old Bell Hotel for coffee.  Currently, they are offering a free scone with jam and cream to accompany each cup of coffee, which is all very nice.  Itís a cracking hotel, in the finest tradition of old market town hotels.  After that, we did some shopping, which was the reason for visiting.  Itís the nearest branch of Yorkshire Trading, a cut price shop that has some very good quality lines and a variety that is difficult to match elsewhere.  When we emerged, we found that it had been raining and, indeed, rain began to fall again as we made our way back to the car.  On the way home, we passed through some fairly heavy showers, but they didnít last long.

Friday, as you may well know, is my domestic chores day.  I managed to get quite a few done before we set off and a chunk of the afternoon was spent clearing up the rest.  Then I made another visit to the Train Shed.  This time, I concentrated on switching the route definitions on the controller.  That meant deleting Routes 11 and 15 for the milk train and pickup goods together with Routes 27 and 28 for the parcels train.  Then I had to redefine them.  Route 15 was defined with the original definition for Route 27 and vice versa, with the same procedure for Routes 28 and 11.  Testing the routes proved very necessary because there were a couple or errors and omissions, so it wasnít quite as straightforward as I had anticipated.  But it all turned out right in the end.

Iím afraid there are no pictures today, so I thought I would include the next little video episode for you delectation.

Tomorrow, I may start the cleaning cycles, before setting about the station yard once again.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3701 on: November 09, 2019, 08:02:12 PM »
We were a little late getting going this morning.  So, by the time we got back from our walk into Hessle this morning, it was time for a later than usual coffee.  I had planned a session in the Train Shed straight after coffee, but there was a slight hiccup.  I had decided that I would go out into the lane this afternoon and shovel leaves into bags for the next dose of leaf mould.  Celia volunteered to empty six of the sacks of the leaf mould from two years ago onto the raised bed where I had cleared the sweetcorn.  Unfortunately, she mistook the bed and emptied them onto the top potato bed.  So that meant I had to remove the netting supports from the potato bed and shovel the leaf mould onto the correct bed, which somewhat curtailed my activities in the Train Shed.  However, I did get time to clean all the open tracks (on the main layout) and also had time to move all the trains out of the UP loops.

In the afternoon, I started shovelling leaves into old compost bags.  I had intended to fill twenty-four bags but, by the time it started to get dark, I had only filled nineteen.  So I cut my losses and started to move the bags into the garden.  By that time, my obliques were really complaining.  So I had a cup of tea and sat down for a while, but things were happening elsewhere in the house.  Our daughter and son-in-law arrived while I was out in the lane.  He had come to fit our new WC in the shower room (he is a plumber).  So I went down to the Train Shed again and cleaned all the UP loops.  I then began to move all the trains out of the DOWN loops but I didnít have time to complete all the train movements.  So here, instead, is the final video of a dayís timetable at Marton Hinmarche.

I should be able to finish the cleaning cycle tomorrow (with a bit of luck).
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3702 on: November 10, 2019, 07:16:22 PM »
Today, I thought I would give my back a rest.  Not that itís bad, but my left and right side obliques were a bit tender this morning, after all the shovelling and carrying yesterday afternoon.  So we decided to go for a walk this morning after breakfast.  We didnít set off straight away because the weather was good enough to put the washing out.  At this time of year there is no point in putting it out too early and it took quite a long time to put it all out because there were a lot of socks and other small items in addition to the usual shirts, etc.

After our walk we had coffee and then I harvested some vegetables for our tea tonight.  After dinner, I ventured down to the Train Shed again.  I finished moving all the trains out of the DOWN loops and then cleaned them, before moving everything back into them ready for the first timetable cycle.  While they were moving round, I took the opportunity to film a long shot of the Union Mills G2 (or Ducky Eight, as we used to call them), trundling round the layout with its long train.

On the way back to the house, I noticed that the last two rows of peas were still in flower.

Not that they will come to anything.  Last week, I picked what pods there were, but the peas were tiny and the pods hadnít grown.  I think I will have to grub them out soon to allow the raised bed to rest over winter.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3703 on: November 11, 2019, 07:04:14 PM »
Monday is table tennis day.  There was no time for a visit to the Train Shed before we set off.  On the way back, we had a couple of errands to perform and when we arrived home, one of the U3A group leaders had left a poster for scanning.  That was when my trouble started.  We had recently ordered a new all-in-one printer because Celia wanted to be able to copy documents and the old all-in-one printer had ceased to be able to print.  I had been able to set this one up for copying, but I just could not get it to scan.

In the end, I went online to the HP site and tried to install the software, but I kept getting error messages.  I hunted around online and tried various strategies, but I kept getting an error message.  In the end, I gave up and had my dinner.  When I went back after dinner, I discovered that it was now all set up for scanning.  I can only assume that the installation process must have been extremely slow.  I was able to scan the poster, but then discovered that I had somehow disabled the printer driver on my computer while fiddling around trying to get the scanner to work.  Fortunately I was able to reinstall the printer driver, not that it is really required because I normally print to our laser printer.

Then Celia was having trouble using the new paper trimmer that I bought the other day.  I have tried to get her used to it, but I guess its just a matter of time and experience.  Finally, I managed to get down to the Train Shed.  Now you may have noticed that, on pictures of the loops, I have several bottles, jars and containers placed in the middle of the loops.

In fact, I have many such items, in both loops and elsewhere in the Train Shed.  The problem is that, it is becoming increasingly difficult to identify them and I have to resort to taking off the lids and sniffing the contents.  So I have bought myself a Dymo tape machine to label them. 

I will also use it to label the isolator switch to the fridge-freeze in the kitchen because, on Saturday night, I went down to the Train Shed after dark and switched on all the outside lights.  Celia needed to come down to tell me something and switched on what she though was the outside light switch.  Unfortunately, the lights were already on and what she actually did was to turn off the fridge-freezer.  I didnít discover this until the following morning.  Fortunately, nothing was spoiled, but I resolved to label the switch, which spurred me on to buy the Dymo tape machine.

I painted the ramp for the roadway down to the goods depot with black paint and, when it is dry, I will add a little umber and green.  Then I made another buttress for the corner angle of the walling that I have made so far.  Hereís the painted ramp and the buttress, ready for installation once the paint is dry.

Iím not sure how much I will be able to accomplish in the Train Shed over the next couple of days because we are having a new bedroom carpet and we will need to clear everything out of the Bedroom before the carpet man arrives.  He wants to fit it on Wednesday afternoon, but I may have to put him off for a day or two.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3704 on: November 12, 2019, 07:29:59 PM »
 :thankyousign:Today was a gym day but, before we went, I was able to muster a short session in the Train Shed.  I fixed the buttress I had made yesterday and made some more walling to fit down the slope of the ramp to the goods depot.  I didnít have time to clad it in stone paper, but at least it fits nicely.

In the afternoon, we had to go into hull again to see the same man about the same hypothetical dog.  But, at least, we got to go on the train, albeit one of the infamous 142s (in fact two, one each way).  Actually, I am quite fond of the 142s, despite their general lowly place in many railway enthusiasts hierarchy.  They were built to serve a purpose and they have done for more than thirty years.  They may not give the best ride, but think of them as the modern equivalent of the Terrier-, Jinty- or 1400-hauled local trains.  They are not so glamourous, but they do a sterling job and Boris Johnsonís description as ďPacey they are notĒ is completely inaccurate.  They waltz along quite happily at speeds of up to 70mph plus which, for an omnibus train, is pretty fair going.  Iíll stop now, but I hope I have made a point.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142%