!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 226663 times)

Snowwolflair and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3660 on: October 18, 2019, 09:24:13 PM »
Looks like youíre about to snort a line of parsley :goggleeyes:

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3661 on: October 19, 2019, 06:22:49 AM »
Looks like youíre about to snort a line of parsley :goggleeyes:
Unfortunately, I don't have the thyme!  :D
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3662 on: October 19, 2019, 07:34:50 PM »
Today, it being Saturday, we walked into Hessle to the butchers.  When we returned, we had coffee and then I set about the greenhouse.  We have to convert it back to winter mode, so that we can move all our tender plants into it from the garden to protect them from the winter weather.  This involved taking down the heater that is attached to the roof in the summer and set to blow cold to prevent overheating and then putting up bubble wrap to cover the inside of all the windows.  By the end of the morning, I had finished all the main windows, but that left all the fiddly bits behind the benches plus the doors. 

In the afternoon, I finished all the remaining insulation work before it was time for a cup of tea.  After a cup of tea, I managed a session in the Train Shed.  I began by adding static grass to the mound area that I had prepared yesterday.

Then I did the same for the verge along the road leading up to Marton Creamery.

The road looks as though the council have just been along cutting the grass, but it is the loose static grass that will be hoovered up tomorrow, when the PVA has fully dried.  Once that was done, I fixed the hedges in place that I greened up yesterday (if thatís an allowed term). 

Once that was done, I had a go at cutting one of the new hedging blocks that I bought the other day.  I cut a strip off one end and then cut it in half vertically.

]

As delivered, the blocks are 25mm thick, which gives a hedge height of over twelve feet.  So it needs to be cut in half to produce a hedge of realistic height.  After that, I added some more paving.

Tomorrow, I will clean up the loose static grass and think about more hedging.  I havenít yet decided whether or not to run the hedge all the way along the road to Marton Creamery.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3663 on: October 19, 2019, 07:37:13 PM »
Looking very good! You are (literally) making great progress with filling in the scenery. Makes for an excellent landscape. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 07:49:01 PM by chrispearce »
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3664 on: October 20, 2019, 07:45:31 PM »
Today, we went for a walk along the river for the first time for several weeks.  However, we had to make a detour to get there.  We set off on our usual route through the country park, but found our way barred.  There is a black windmill carcass on the other side of underpasses beneath the railway and A63, which used to crush the chalk from the quarry.  The old quarry is now the country park.  The area around the mill has been closed off to allow it to be restored, which means that the path will be closed for about six months.  However, because there is no way for wheelchairs to enter the county park from the top car park, another route has been opened.  We were able to use the alternative route and so all was well.

After we returned, we had coffee and then I paid a visit to Screwfix to collect some items I ordered yesterday, including a new set of drill bits and a small paint brush for applying PVA, although it is still in the box.  The main focus of the order was to buy some additional boiled linseed oil and white spirit for oiling the wooden garden furniture, ready for the winter.  I apply it with a brush in the ratio of one part linseed oil to two parts white spirit.  That seems to be the idea mixture to allow it to soak into the wood. 

My next task was to lift some potatoes, carrots and parsnips for tonightís tea.  I also got some cabbage.  There were several runts in pots that I managed to glean odd bits from.  There were also a couple of large summer cabbages left, but both had been ravaged by the tiny slugs.  The slugs really are a problem.  One of the cabbages was a complete write off but I managed to salvage about half of the other one, removing about a dozen of the tiny slugs as I did so.  So we now have much more cabbage than we need for today.  The remainder has been temporarily frozen to use over the next couple of weeks.  When that has gone, we will start on the winter cabbage and the red cabbage.

Then I set about getting ready to treat the furniture.  First I removed the patio umbrella from the table and took off the oil cloth cover, which still had a layer of water on it.  I hung that on the line and then re-erected the umbrella, to allow it to dry thoroughly.  That took me up to the end of the morning.  When I went out in the afternoon a very fine drizzle had set in so, not only had the umbrella and tablecloth become wet again, but the washing needed rescuing before it became too wet.

I inspected the cushion on the old swing seat that we found in the jungle when we moved in.  When we found it, it was rusty and its canopy and supports had long disappeared.  But Celia painted it with Hammarite and it does us pretty well now.  This yea, we bought a waterproof cover for it and so we were able to leave the cushion on when not in use.  However, there was a small wet patch on the cushion, so I stood it on end in the summerhouse, hoping that it will be dry enough to put away in a week or so.  I also put the patio umbrella and the table cover in there.  The hope is that, whenever there is some sunshine, they will all dry out ready for winter storage.

By then, I was ready for a session in the Train Shed.  I began with a running session, although it didnít go as smoothly as I had hoped.  But there were no disasters, if you donít count the short circuit when 46443 entered the UP loops.  The problem turned out to be the fact that the Cobalt had not thrown the switch blades, but had changed the polarity of the frog.  A slight adjustment of the fulcrum soon cured the problem. 

After the operating session I set about cutting some more lengths of hedge.  Hereís the one to separate the new hump from the slope down from London Road Bridge.

And hereís the other to go alongside the lawn that will be next to the footpath.

Once they were cut, I added green scatter to them.

Finally, I added some weeds to the bottom of the hedge I fitted yesterday down the slope from London Road Bridge towards the station yard.  At the same time, I sized the lawn area, which you can see here with a large white patch on it.

Tomorrow, I should be able to fit the hedges and add 1mm static grass to the lawn.  For fields, I use 2mm static grass because, in N scale, I think 1mm static grass looks too much like a lawn.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3665 on: October 21, 2019, 07:00:40 PM »
We were back to our normal Monday morning table tennis today.  Before we went, I had time for an operating session in the Train Shed.  I ran the next cycle, so I have now run three sessions without showing the resulting view of the operations.  I hope to be able to run two more by the end of tomorrow, which will mean that I have run a complete day in the life of Marton Hinmarche since the cleaning cycle.  We will be away for three days later in the week, so I will be able to show the missing operational cycles while we are away and I have no access to the Train Shed.

In the afternoon, I had to take Celia to her U3A session and, while I was there, get some signatures on cheques so that I could pay the rent for the various room hires last month.  After that, I delivered the payments, before returning home again.

I was able to manage another short session in the Train Shed this afternoon.  I fixed into place the two pieces of hedge that I had greened up yesterday.  Hereís the first, the hedge that divides the mound from the bridge.

The second is along the grassy area between the bridge and the station yard.  I also added static grass to the grassy area.

Iím afraid that I forgot to use 1mm static grass, as I had decided yesterday, to make it into a lawn, so it will have to be a patch of rough grass instead.  I also sized the area beyond it for the addition of more static grass.

I then went on to cut some more hedgerow for the lane leading to Marton Creamery.

When I have cut all the lengths necessary to reach the gates of the creamery, I will green them all up and prepare them for final location.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3666 on: October 22, 2019, 08:00:52 PM »
Today was another gym day.  I managed another operating session in the Train Shed before we went.  I ran the next operational cycle and everything ran pretty well.  In the afternoon, I set about oiling the patio furniture.  It took me about two hours to complete the patio dining set.  By that time, my back was beginning to break, so I decided to leave it for now and made a cup of tea.  After that, I managed another operating session in the Train Shed.  That completed the whole of a day in the life of Marton Hinmarche. 

Then I did a little scenic work.  First, I cut the rest of the hedges to complete the lane to Marton Creamery.

Then I grassed the area on the other side of the road down from London Road Bridge.  I took this opportunity to add 1mm static grass instead of 2mm grass, so the council must have decided to mow the grass on that area.

We will be away now until Saturday.  I will attempt to post some of the videos of the operational sessions that I have been running over the last few days.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #3667 on: October 23, 2019, 12:25:16 PM »
Steady progress Laurence. Its all starting to come together now.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #3668 on: October 23, 2019, 02:06:57 PM »
I'm really liking those fields Lawrence.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3669 on: October 23, 2019, 08:17:01 PM »
Well, here we are in sunny (?) Milton Keynes.  Our visit to the dentist in Oxford today was successful, if a little expensive.  We had a good drive down, although the initial Northern sunshine turned to patchy mist as we came south and, eventually, to a cloud covering.  There was no time for a Train Shed session today, but here is a video of the next operating session that I ran a few days ago.

While Iím away, I am thinking about the rear of the terraced houses on Dairy Lane, which is the name I have hit upon for the lane from the bridge leading to the creamery.  I want to create some vegetable patches behind them, rather like mini allotments, but actually like a shared back garden.  My grandadís house in Clifton on Dunsmore was a bit like that.  There was a row of terraced houses, each with a vegetable plot at the rear, but there was no garden fence between them.  There were passageways between them to get to the back doors, but some occupiers had to cross behind other houses to reach the nearest passageway.

Anyway, I am considering laying some strips of plaster bandage as vegetable strips and painting them brown.  Between the strips, I could lay some static grass to represent grassy pathways between them.  Iím not ready to start on them yet, but itís good to think ahead when there is some spare time, such as sitting in a hotel bedroom.  Also, I need to think about what to do with the triangular patch of ground between the bridge and the terraced houses. 

Thatís enough brain power for one evening.  Iíll think of something to write tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #3670 on: October 23, 2019, 11:11:53 PM »
It all looks really neat. Well done. :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3671 on: October 24, 2019, 10:41:55 PM »
The Alfa, which will be ten years old in less than a month, went in for its annual service today.  We took the loan car (another 147) along to Bletchley Park for old times sake.  We used to live less than two miles up the road from Bletchley Park and remember it from its early days of public opening, back in the nineties.  We were very disappointed.

It has been really dumbed down with lots of video presentations and hands-on activities for kids.  However, trying to find out details about break-through decoding episodes and, for example, the role of the Poles in cracking Enigma, is now almost impossible.  It is more like a school history project now, with most of the huts turned over to recreating the atmosphere of wartime operations.  They used to have an ALVIS (BID/610) cipher machine in the museum, which was still a prototype when I was at the Catterick Cipher School, but it doesnít seem to be available to the general public any longer.  It was just in the commissioning stages by the time I left the Signals, when it seemed destined to replace our (then) existing HST (BID/30, also known as 5UCO).

So here instead is the video of what you would have seen if you had been in the Train Shed on Sunday.

I have been looking at some of the pictures of the other side of the layout.  Hereís a picture I posted some time ago, showing the town on the other side of the station.

Just beyond the goods shed, I will need to build a vehicle ramp for road vehicles to reach the goods depot and yard.  Then I might think about some more buildings or something else for the rest of the area.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3672 on: October 25, 2019, 08:36:07 PM »
This morning, we had a beautiful walk in what used to be one of our favourite areas for walking, Aspley Heath Woods.  We used to go there frequently when we lived in Bletchley.  We didnít discover it until two or three years before we moved away but, once we found it, it became a firm favourite.  The area consists of sandy hills covered with mainly pine, but also a lot of birch and including other deciduous trees.  The whole area is about a square kilometre with literally miles of crisscrossing paths, which twist and turn throughout the whole woodland.  On a cloudy day, it is very easy to become disorientated and, if like today, your familiarity with the area is a bit rusty, you just have to trust your rather hazy memory of the layout.  Its more than eleven years since we were last there so, because itís a living environment, things have changed somewhat.  But we really enjoyed it and walked for more than an hour. 

We heard the other day on the radio that it is a wonderful autumn for fungi and it was certainly the case in the woods.  Everywhere we looked there were fungi of an amazing variety of species. Then we saw this beauty.

It was about 20cm (8 inches) across.  Wow!  In the end, the forecast rain arrived and we went into Central Milton Keynes for coffee and for Celia to do some shopping,

I have now been thinking about the other side of the station again.  A possible way forward might be to build some livestock pens for a livestock market, a bit like the old Rugby market or, another possibility, might be to have a town market.  I will need to think about this more carefully, but I have plenty of time to get it right.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3673 on: October 26, 2019, 07:32:36 PM »
We returned from Milton Keynes this morning.  It rained all the way.  But at least I had decided to drive the first part via the A5 instead of on the M1.  There was hardly any traffic with nice, pleasant autumn scenery and, most importantly, there was no spray.  Once we reached the M69, of course, we were back into the spray and standing water problems.  But it only took another ten minutes or so to reach Leicester Forest East, where we stopped for coffee.  There was quite a lot of standing water and some spray on the A46, but it was quite tolerable, compared to motorway conditions.  We arrived home in time for a midday snack.

After a bit of a rest, I made it down to the Train Shed.  The temperature was only 11.9C, so I switched on the fan heater for a short while.  Then I set about greening up the hedges that I had cut for Dairy Lane.

After that I cut up some more hedging to complete the other side of the road from London Road Bridge down to the town.

Iíve added the next video, which shows what happened during the operational session on Sunday (the last one would have actually been on Saturday Ė my mistake).

I am now thinking about what to do with the area of 1mm static grass.  I think I will turn it into a childrenís play area, with swings, slides and a roundabout.  That would fit with its position at the end of the town.  I need to think about making some different types of fencing for the town and station areas.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3674 on: October 27, 2019, 09:24:16 PM »
Today was a beautifully sunny day and, after our little break and the heavy rain, I just had to spend some time in the garden.  I began by sorting out the garden things that I had put in the summer house the other day to dry out and then stored them in the bike shed.  Not that there are any bikes in the bike shed.  Itís just a low pent roof shed with double doors and no window.  We saw one quite a few years ago in a garden centre and it was described as a bike shed, so thatís what we call ours.

After that, I attended to the bird feeders.  One seed feeder was completely empty.  Last week, I had to strip it down because the seed level wasnít going down.  I found that there was a lot of compressed residue in the bottom that was preventing the seeds from dropping into the dispenser tray.  But now the seed is disappearing very rapidly. 

Once the bird feeders were sorted, I set about picking runner beans.  I think I can fairly safely say that I have now, at last, picked the last beans.  There are a couple of miserable looking flowers left and a lot of very small bean pods, some of which are shrivelled and the rest are probably too small to survive the colder temperatures and shorter days.  But itís been a record crop this year.  Previously, our record crop way 31lb, two years ago.  But this time they have yielded 42Ĺlb, so we have enough to keep us going right through until next summer.  After coffee, I then dug potatoes, parsnips and carrots, for our tea tonight.  Finally, I lifted all the heavy plant pots into the green house that were too heavy for Celia to lift.  So almost all the tender plants are now inside.

In the afternoon, I finally made it down to the Train Shed and began with an operating session to make up for the lack of running trains over the last few days.  Then I took the sections of hedging that I had greened up yesterday and secured them into place along Dairy Lane.

After that, I took the sections that I had cut yesterday for the far side of the bridge and applied green scatter in the usual manner.

I have decided to make the area at the bottom of the slope into a childrenís playground and I have ordered this Langley kit.

I also ordered some other Langley bits, such as a pillar box and a phone box.  So things are gradually coming together.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575%