!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 231765 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3525 on: August 14, 2019, 07:50:03 PM »

First you see the Union Mills J26, 65761, with the return pickup goods.  It left Worcester Shrub Hill goods yard at 2050 and should reach Aylesbury at 2230.

Thank you Laurence.

That Union Mills 'J26' is a lovely little locomotive.

1 hr 40 mins is a very impressive time for a pick-up goods to travel from Worcester to Aylesbury.  How far is it - 65/70 miles or so?

Great films, as always.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3526 on: August 15, 2019, 07:32:54 AM »
1 hr 40 mins is a very impressive time for a pick-up goods to travel from Worcester to Aylesbury.  How far is it - 65/70 miles or so?

Great films, as always.

Best wishes.

John
I am still working on the timetable so the times may need to be changed.  I will eventually add the mileages and then recalculate the arrival and departure times at the beginning and end of each journey.  The current journey times are simply a first guess.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3527 on: August 15, 2019, 07:20:23 PM »
Today, it was our day for visiting the hairdressers.  I had an early appointment, but I had time to visit the Train Shed.  I am now running the remaining trains that I need to complete the library of videos.  Today it was the turn of Tiverton Castle, with the UP Dragon Beach Express and Royal Ulster Rifleman with the DOWN South Midlander.  First we see Tiverton Castle emerge from Gatsby Tunnel.  It left Paddington at 0610 and will eventually arrive at Pwllheli at 1110.  It rushes through Burnham Rocks Cutting at 70mph.

Next up is Royal Ulster Rifleman rushing through Burnham Rocks Cutting and into the tunnel mouth.  It left Wolverhampton High Level at 0800 and is scheduled to arrive at Marylebone at 1010.

On the way back, I visited our U3A business secretary because she was having trouble transferring the newsletter to my Dropbox account.  It took quite a bit of sorting, but I eventually sorted it all out for her.  I didn’t get another session in the Train Shed today because I am busy stripping out my little office in readiness for the joiner next week.  I am taking down all the makeshift shelving that I put up when we moved in so that he can make some proper units for me.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3528 on: August 16, 2019, 07:12:15 PM »
Friday has come round once again and it was time to carry out all my routine chores.  I managed to finish most of them in time to have a Train Shed session before coffee.  I continued with the completion of the missing runs, so here you see Cranmore Hall with the 0509 from Hereford Barrs Court, scheduled to arrive a Paddington at 0731.  It has left Marton Hinmarche station and appears under London Road Bridge before heading out through Burnham Rocks Cutting and disappearing into Gatsby Tunnel.

About forty minutes later, Forthampton Grange emerges from Gatsby Tunnel with the 0729 from Paddington, which is scheduled to arrive at Hereford Barrs Court at 0951.  It rushes through Burnham Rocks Cutting before beginning to slow to stop at Platform 2.

After the video session, I had time to move the branch trains into position for the start of the new timetable.  First, in the Shipton run-around, I ran 6713 with its branch goods from its run-around loop and out into Black Horse Cutting.  Then I pulled 5572 forward beyond the points and reversed it into the loop vacated by 6713.  After that, I reversed 6713 into the vacant loop.  At the Norton end of the Branch, I pulled 4571 forward beyond the points and, finally, reversed it into the other loop.  So now the branch trains are ready to run once the new timetable is invoked.

I printed out the new timetable this morning so, once all the remaining filming is complete, I will be in a position to restart timetable operations.  I have been looking at distances between stations and I now have some idea of new timings for the new timetable.  I hope to incorporate them soon.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3529 on: August 17, 2019, 07:27:36 PM »
Today, being Saturday, we walked into Hessle to the butchers first thing, as is our custom.  When we returned, we had coffee before I made time for a quick session in the Train Shed.  In today’s video sequences, 61664 Liverpool with the 0957 from Worcester Shrub Hill as it emerges under the London Road Bridge after restarting from Platform 3.  It’s next stop is Aylesbury and it is scheduled to arrive at Norwich Thorpe at 1253.

Then we see 5572 rushing out of Gatsby Tunnel with the 1129 from Marylebobne, before it begins to brake to stop at Platform 2.  It will eventually arrive Notingham Midland at 1436.

That concludes all the passenger in-fill videos, but there are still some goods sequences that require filming.

I have been very busy for the last few days because the joiner will arrive on Monday and we needed to empty all our wardrobes and, in addition, I needed to empty my small office.  So I have moved our little trailer out of the garage put a blanket down in its place.  After that I removed my desk extension and supporting pillar, before beginning to empty the wall shelves.  I had to pack all the books into removal boxes and now it is all finished, apart from my desk and computer.  They will eventually have to be removed, ready for moving into a new position.  The result is that I have had to limit my visits to the Train Shed.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3530 on: August 18, 2019, 06:17:24 PM »
Today was the final day of preparation before the joiner arrives in the morning.  I began the day with a short session in the Train Shed.  Today’s little video involves J26 65761 hauling the pickup goods, on its way to Marton Hinmarche goods depot.  It left Aylesbury at 0850 and it takes just an hour to reach to the goods depot, where it will wait for the goods to be unloaded and loaded.  It emerges from Gatsby Tunnel and trundles through Burnham Rocks Cutting, eventually disappearing under London Road Bridge.

I now have only the final part of the UP run of the fish train to film, plus three sequences with the coal train.  There is only one of the latter missing but, unfortunately, I filmed a couple of them with 3846 hauling the train but with the Union Mills G2, 49368 at the head of the train for all the others.  So I will need to refilm the two filmed with 3846, otherwise it will appear that the loco mysteriously transforms as it passes under London Road Bridge.  After that, I have some coaches to swap around so that the two trains that ply between Paddington and Herford both have buffet cars and the other two long distance trains both have a restaurant car.  The South Midlander already has two restaurant cars and the Dragon Beach Express will have an additional buffet car added adjacent to its restaurant car.

After coffee, I spent the rest of the morning harvesting.  I picked runner beans, French beans, Borlotti beans and peas, before pulling a cabbage then lifting carrots and potatoes.  I also picked tomatoes and blackberries, but which time I was ready for something to eat.

In the afternoon, it was on with getting ready for the joiner and stowing on top of the garage joists various bits that I had been dismantling.  However, after a cup of tea, I managed to do a little bit in the garden.  While the joiner is here next week, I should get some quality time in the Train Shed.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #3531 on: August 18, 2019, 09:16:02 PM »
progressing nicely. particularly impressive around london road bridge

Seconded!

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3532 on: August 19, 2019, 07:11:29 PM »
Today was the day of the joiner.  After he arrived, we went over the project plans and then he dismantled the unwanted fitted wardrobes.  After that, I was very busy, helping him to move wardrobes and getting everything into position so that he could determine the precise dimensions of the fitted units that he needs to make.  In the afternoon, I had to go out to deliver 160 newsletters, which took quite a time.  While I was out the weather deteriorated and I was a bit wet by the time I arrived home again.  After a cup of tea, I eventually made it down to the Train Shed.  I filmed four sequences.  The first was the coal train on its way back to Coventry Colliery, passing through Burnham Rocks Cutting.

Then I filmed the fish train on its way back to Grimsby, again passing through Burnham Rocks Cutting.

After that, I filmed the coal train again as it passed through Burnham Rocks Cutting on its way to Aylesbury.

Finally, I filmed the coal train, yet again, this time passing through Marton Hinmarche station.

That’s most of the filming complete, although I have still to film the pickup goods on its last pass through Burnham Rocks Cutting.  Tomorrow, I may be able to add some more static grass.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3533 on: August 20, 2019, 07:08:56 PM »
Today I had to baby sit the joiner while Celia went to the gym.  So I busied my self with a rather tedious U3A task, printing membership cards for the coming year and then cutting them with my guillotine.  It all takes quite a time.  I print the cards, double-sided onto 200g/m2 paper, eight to a sheet.  Then I cut the sheets vertically in two followed by four horizontal cuts, but it has to be done carefully to ensure the cards are all the same size.

After that, I continued to check and correct the new operational timetable.  I printed it out on Friday, but, once I began to check it, I realised that there were errors in the route setting.  So I went through it, movement by movement and made sure that it would all work correctly.  I also spent some time with the joiner over various aspects of the finer details. 

In the afternoon, I did manage to get down to the Train Shed.  I have checked that all the film sequences are complete, so I concentrated on some scenic work.  I had a static grass session.  I began by extending the static grass beyond the cutting in the direction of London Road Bridge.

Then I applied some in the opposite direction towards Gatsby Tunnel.

After that, I finished the area behind the hedge at the bottom of the wing wall.

Once that was done, I added some more grass to the bare patch next to the road.

Finally, I added some flowering meadow mix to the field on the other side of the road.

I still have to hoover up all the stray static grass, but I will leave that until tomorrow, after the PVA has dried thoroughly.  Once the track is clear of debris, I will be able to bring out some of the trains and swap some of the coaches to form the required trains with restaurant and buffet cars.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3534 on: August 20, 2019, 09:28:46 PM »
progressing along rather nicely. yes, would be best to wait until the pva has thoroughly dried

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3535 on: August 21, 2019, 07:15:18 PM »
Today, I was at the beck and call of the joiner for most of the day.  I had to begin by shutting down my computer and stripping out all the IT equipment from my desk, prior to dismantling it.  I also had to box up all the bits and pieces which I usually keep on the desktop.  That was followed by removing all the drawers.  Then I had to get the car out of the garage so that there would be room to put down a dust sheet and lay the desktop on it.  Once that was done, I needed to set up my laptop in the dining room.  Then, in between times, I worked on my notional timetable.  I have two timetables, the operational timetable and the notional timetable.

The operational timetable is the one I use to run my trains.  The timetable is divided into sections and subsections.  There are sixteen sections, each with three subsections, a, b and c.  For each subsection there is, first, a list of routes to be set.  To set a route, it is just a question of selecting it via the walkaround and selecting either ‘1’ or ‘2’.  ‘1’ sets the route and ‘2’ resets it.  For most of the operations, the route has to be set.  There is no need to reset it afterwards, because the next set of routes will override the previous settings.  However, for branch operations, the branch run-arounds operate from one side to the other, depending where the trains are at the end of the previous sub-cycle, so I have to alternate between ‘1’ and ‘2’.  Also, I need to reset routes that divert trains onto or away from the main line after the train movements.  Finally, I have to change the run-around points during a run-around operation.  That is done be selecting the accessory address of the points and setting it to ‘1’ or ‘2’, to change the points.  All these instructions are included in the operational timetable.

Indeed, the term ‘timetable’ is a bit of a misnomer, because there are no times in it, only a list of operations in the required order to achieve the train movements.  Once all the routes have been set (usually three) the locos (again usually three) are selected and set into motion in the required order.  The operational timetable is really an aide memoir because it indicates which order the trains should be started and stopped.  I don’t have to worry about speed settings because the speeds, acceleration and deceleration are all programmed into each loco’s decoder.  Here’s an example of the operational timetable.

On the other hand, the notional timetable looks just like a timetable from the 1950s.  I don’t use it to time the trains but extract the information from it when describing the train movements.  Here is the first page from it.

I have now revised the timings, based on observed distances between stations.  I didn’t get down to the Train Shed at all today, but I hope to be able to have a session there tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3536 on: August 21, 2019, 07:19:41 PM »
Fascinating stuff, Laurence.

Thank you very much.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3537 on: August 22, 2019, 06:33:21 PM »
Today, I did manage to get down to the Train Shed.  I concentrated on rearranging the passenger stock to reflect the descriptions in the notional timetable.  I began by replacing the maroon buffet car behind the Jubilee that plies between Nottingham and Marylebone.

I replaced it with a first-class dining car.

Then I turned to the B17 with its train that runs between Norwich and Worcester, first removing a second-class corridor coach.

This was replaced with a classless dining car.

After that it was the turn of trains that run between Paddington and Hereford.  Cranmore Hall lost its rather nice buffet, which is intended to complement the restaurant car that’s part of the Dragon Beach Express.

It was replaced with a rather seedy looking buffet car that I bought on eBay.  It has a maroon stripe along the top of the carriage side walls, above the windows.  It is an old Farish model and I suspect that it has been repainted at some stage from a maroon one.

I might think about repainting the maroon stripe to convert to a proper chocolate and cream livery.  Then I removed a corridor second from the train behind Forthampton Grange.

That was replaced with the maroon buffet car that I had removed from the Jubilee’s train earlier.

Finally, I rearranged the Dragon Beach Express.  I had originally installed a brake composite behind the dining car because I was unable to find a suitable buffet car.  I removed a first-class open coach in front of the dining car and moved the brake in front of the dining car.  Then I added the buffet car that I had removed from behind Cranmore Hall earlier, positioning it behind the dining car..

So I am now ready to start running the new timetable, which will represent a day’s running with twenty-four train movements in a day, most of which will be through running, but some of which will terminate or start from Marton Hinmarche.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3538 on: August 22, 2019, 09:31:58 PM »
I think all those peckish/famished passengers will be much relieved at the stock changes, Laurence ;D

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3539 on: August 23, 2019, 09:08:57 PM »
Unfortunately, I didn’t have any time to get down to the Train Shed today.  The joiner didn’t finish until after half past one and we have guests arriving tomorrow so it was all hands to the pumps to try and get everything back into ship shape order.  Not that he has actually finished.  Because of unexpected problems involving additional work, he will need to come back for another day, as soon as he has a free day, to twiddle some of the finishing touches.

However, in the evening, before going out to water the vegetables, etc, I did manage to put together a video sequence of the first timetable sub-cycle.  I didn’t have time to edit in music or captions, but you need to imagine that Alan has gone trainspotting overlooking Black Horse Cutting, Marcus and Julius are overlooking the station and Mike is overlooking Burnham Rocks Cutting.  You will see the three trains from the perspective of each of them in turn.

Tomorrow, I will try to edit it so that it flows a little better.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25%