!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 233443 times)

Gooner1953 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3450 on: July 17, 2019, 07:27:09 PM »
the lunch and the event by the project catzero sounds fun and rewarding and a chance to discuss with the people - hope the scenics will be rewarding too laurence -

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3451 on: July 18, 2019, 08:02:31 PM »
Today, we thought that we would have an easy day for a change.  We have been retired for nearly ten years now and we don’t seem to have much time to relax and enjoy our house and garden.  So we decided that we would have a short walk this morning before coffee and then take it a bit easier.  It had been raining overnight, so we waited a little before putting out the washing and going for our walk.  That gave me time to visit the Train Shed. 

I hadn’t been able to complete the programming of 3846 because, without a train, it was difficult to asses where the loco would be when the end of the train disappeared into the tunnel.  So I decided to bring out the G2 with the coal train, accompanied by 92006 with the fish train (the two circulate through shared storage loops) and determine where the loco would be when the brake van disappears into the tunnel.  In doing this, one of the Union Mills foibles resurfaced.  Neither of them like changes in track elevation, which seems to occur sometimes at trailing point frogs.  The G2 would not exit the DOWN loops without assistance.  There was nothing wrong with the electrical connectivity.  The tender wheels were rotating at full speed, but the were incapable of pushing the loco over the frog.  It was at this point (sorry!) that I decided to replace it with the original loco, 3846.  It wasn’t long before 3846 was fully programmed.  Here it is hauling the coal train out of Oakwood Tunnel and through Black Horse Cutting. 

The G2 has now been assigned to the siding where 3846 formally resided.

After coffee, I thought I would carry out some easy summer-enjoyable tasks, so I picked Tayberries, Blueberries and raspberries.  We are having problems with the Tayberries, or should I say with the blackbirds.  If I leave them for two or three days, all the best ones have been attacked by the blackbirds.  I guess we will have to accepts this and hope that as the bushes become more dense, there will be enough for everyone.

In the afternoon, I cut the grass, which is now a pleasant activity with our new battery-powered mower.  It now takes about half an hour instead of an hour and a half.  After that, we took it easy and, after a cup of tea, I returned to the Train Shed. 

I decided to replace the Bachmann decoder in 92006 and then reprogram it.  That was not too difficult.  I also calibrated J39 64960 while I was at it.  I just have a couple of movements left to do before calibration is complete.  I must say that the graphite seems to have solved many problems, thank goodness.  I may concentrate on completing my filming sequences next before a big onslaught on the scenic work in the town.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3452 on: July 19, 2019, 07:06:53 PM »
Today was domestic chores day.  I managed to complete most of them before it was time for a visit to the Train Shed.  First, I rechecked the deceleration calibration of 92006 to make sure it would stow itself in the loops correctly.  Then I moved 6417 back into its ‘home’ Loop 18.  I still had one Lenz Silver Mini decoders left, to I took the opportunity to replace the original cheap Bachmann decoder in Jubilee Class, 45572 Eire.  In order to test it, I needed to move 46443 back out of Loop 12 and into Platform 4.  By coffee time, I had completed the calibration, but still had t check the deceleration point for the DOWN loops. 

Calibrating for the loop stops is a little tricky because the braking point is different for the UP and DOWN loops for some (but not all) locos.  In addition, for stopping trains, the deceleration has to be set to allow the train to come to a halt fully within the length of the platform.  This is particularly critical for the Jubilee with its ten coaches because it occupies the full length of Platform 2 on its DOWN run.  It is now fine for everything except its entrance to the DOWN loops.  It is just a question of identifying which carriage enters the tunnel when the brakes are applied.  In general, it is the last carriage for the DOWN loops and the third from last for the UP loops.  But some require it to be the third from last at both ends of the layout, while others require it to be the last one.

Later I pressed on with the outstanding chores and then had some U3A work to do.  That took me up until cup of tea time.  Then I went back to the Train Shed and completed the work with 45572.  The deceleration required a few more tweaks, but here is a video of the result. 

The nice thing about DCC is that it makes operating simple.  For each start, all I did was to set the speed to full speed and the DCC decoder took care of the acceleration and the maximum speed.  For each stop, likewise, all I had to do was to set the speed to zero and the DCC decoder took care of the deceleration and stopped the train in the correct position.

Once that was complete, I moved 46442 back into Loop 12.  Tomorrow, I will think about the area I have created to the East of the town.  This is the far end of it.

And this is the town end.

Here is an overview of the whole thing.

The first task will be to pain it with a base layer before adding any scenic features.  My attention has also been drawn to the UP leg board, where I have created Burnham Rocks.  I think I will need to add some EPS and plaster bandage to the inside of the branch line, in a similar manor to Black Horse Cutting.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 07:34:41 PM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3453 on: July 19, 2019, 07:10:37 PM »
taking shape around the station area. all you need to create is a road scene and pavement.

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #3454 on: July 19, 2019, 08:29:04 PM »
Here is an overview of the whole thing.

Laurence, is that area of the layout about 8 linear feet? You seem to have lot's of room to be creative.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3455 on: July 20, 2019, 06:39:27 AM »
Yes Leon, the area you see is almost exactly 8ft long.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3456 on: July 20, 2019, 07:55:59 PM »
Saturday is the day we walk into Hessle to visit our butcher.  In keeping with our new schedule, we set off fairly early and returned in time for coffee.  After coffee, I set about some garden tasks.  First, I picked 6lb of peas, which meant a lot of shelling later.  Then I picked some Sungold tomatoes from the greenhouse, before performing maintenance on all the tomatoes, removing side shoots, further string winding and ‘topping out’ the taller ones in the greenhouse. 

After that, I topped all the potato plants to reduce the risk of blight.  The variety we are growing this year (we grew the same variety last year) are supposed to be blight resistant, but I had to spray last year, so I thought it prudent to allow more air to circulate around the base of the plants, which is where blight usually takes hold.  However, this year we have had other troubles with the potatoes.  One never came up at all, and two were very weedy, one dying and the other looking very sickly.  Then, two of the plants on the lower bed looked very poorly and I think we have leaf curl virus.  Apparently this comes in on the seed tubers.  Unfortunately, I have been able to find only one supplier of this variety, so I might try something different next year.

We had fresh raw peas in our salad at midday and then it was back to the garden.  This time, I concentrated on thinning and weeding the carrots and parsnips.  It always seems a shame to uproot strong, healthy plants when two really good ones are growing next to each other.  With three of the uprooted carrots, I used a long stick to make a deep hole and replanted them.  They may take root but, if not, nothing has been lost.  Once that was completed, I did a little light hedge trimming and then repaired to the Train Shed.  First I began to add EPS to the tack side opposite Burnham rocks.  This is the view looking towards Gatsby Tunnels.

This is the view looking away from the tunnels.

This is an overview, looking through the window from outside the Train Shed.

Then I added a second layer.

This is looking in the opposite direction.

After that, I prepared for painting the area I showed yesterday.  I began by screening the backscene with old sheets of paper.  I have plenty of Tacky Wax and this came in handy for fixing the sheets to the backscene.

Then, with my airbrush, I began my patent camouflage pattern.  The first pass was with burnt sienna.

Tomorrow, I will add plaster bandage to the newly laid EPS and continue spray painting the flat area.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3457 on: July 20, 2019, 08:00:09 PM »
The scenery taking shape after all that gardening laurence. Looking good

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #3458 on: July 21, 2019, 06:42:29 AM »
Scenics coming along a treat Laurence! Cheers  :beers:

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3459 on: July 21, 2019, 07:09:55 AM »
We all look forward to the next scenic instalment

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #3460 on: July 21, 2019, 11:31:24 AM »
It's all coming along very nicely Lawrence  :thumbsup:

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3461 on: July 21, 2019, 08:52:50 PM »
Now and again, instead of going for a walk on a Sunday morning, we drive out to a garden centre on the other side of Hull (Kingston-Upon-Hull, to give it its proper name) and have an early coffee and buy something for the garden.  That’s what we did today.  But I did have an early running session in the Train Shed.  I thought that I need to start running again because I have spent quite a long time calibrating my fleet of locos.  Also, because I was dressed for going out, I didn’t want to do anything with paint or plaster bandage.  The one new video recording for the station board was Cranmore Hall with an UP train from Herford, bound for Paddington.  Here it is arriving at Platform 3.

It overshot a little, not because I had mis-programmed it but because I had trouble setting the controller speed to zero.  Here it is leaving the station, on its way to Aylesbury.

After we returned, I had some U3A tasks to perform and then it was time for garden jobs.  First, I tied up the hollyhocks, which had been taking a pounding in the wind although, to be fair, much of the trouble was caused by the dreaded convolvulus that is a pain to get rid of and drags the stems all over the place.  Then there was a Roundup session to attack the perennial weeds on the drive, pathways and gravel areas.  It only needs doing about twice a year and this was the second time.

After that, I picked runner beans.  We had our first few last week, but they are now in full swing.  Then there were more Tayberries to pick, followed by raspberries and blueberries.  By then, it was time for a cup of tea before returning to the Train Shed.

I didn’t have time to add any plaster bandage to the terrain I created yesterday.  But I did continue with painting the area to the West of the Town.  After a few applications, I finished the camouflage effect, ready for the application of static grass and anything else that needs to be added, such as the road, pavement and buildings.  This is the view looking South West from the town.

Here is an overview of the area.

We are now starting to get back into the home grown vegetable regime.  For tea (sorry, in modern parlance, dinner) tonight, we had home grown peas and runner beans, together with bought potatoes, carrots, swede, cabbage and leeks with our meat.  Next week, we should be able to start on home grown cabbage and carrots, with potatoes to follow soon and parsnips in a few weeks.  We don’t grow swede or leeks because we don’t seem to be able to get them to fatten up. 

Tomorrow we are off in the morning to see our friends at MS Solihull and we won’t be back until Tuesday afternoon, so Train Shed time will be limited. 
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3462 on: July 22, 2019, 08:16:52 PM »
Back Story (continued)
Monday July 22nd 1959

Wally Percival and Alun Peacock Have now settled down comfortably at Beresford.  Because of their liaisons with Anglika and Anne-Marie, local gossip about ‘the two odd fellows’ has subsided to the extent that Alun has now been able to move back into the cottage with Wally.  They really enjoy each other’s company whenever they have time to spend together.  They still maintain their relationships with Anglika and Anne-Marie and, quite often, when they get the opportunity, they make up a foursome for social occasions.  They have also taken an interest in the operations of the Aylesbury and Worcester.

Baron Tiverton has now settled on the current locomotive stock running on the Aylesbury and Worcester.  There will be no more diesels, at least not in the foreseeable future.  However, he considers that some refinement is required to the coaching stock, so that the trains are what he calls ‘fit for purpose’.  He will do this in conjunction with the Thin Controller, Brendan Beanpole.  The South Midlander currently sports two restaurant cars.  They will consider whether two are absolutely necessary, or whether there should be a buffet car in place of the second.  The Dragon Beach Express has only a single restaurant car, but needs at least an additional buffet car, considering its long run between Pwllheli and Paddington.  Also, the two cross-regional trains, one running between Norwich and Worcester and the other between Marylebone and Nottingham, both require a restaurant car.  In addition, the two trains plying between Paddington and Herford really need a buffet car each. 

So the requirement is for three crimson and cream restaurant cars, one chocolate and cream restaurant car, one crimson and cream buffet car and three chocolate and cream buffet cars.  So far, they have available to them four crimson and cream restaurant cars, one chocolate and cream restaurant car, one maroon buffet car and one chocolate and cream buffet car.  They would also like to add an additional brake coaches to each train, including the two mainline suburban trains.  So far, only the Dragon Beach Express has two such brake coaches.  So there may be some purchasing or trading of stock required to upgrade the trains to the new requirements. 

Alan Cooper and Mick Gibson are also becoming more interested in the technicalities of running the Aylesbury and Worcester, expanding their interests from mere train spotting to an active interest in the stock and timetables.  They have taken to meeting Duncan Hardy at the station, who has always been keenly interested in railways.  He has been able to give them a lot of information and also has directed their studies to books by people such as O S Nock.  They have heard, with interest, of the plans for updating the trains running through Marton Hinmarche.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3463 on: July 23, 2019, 07:27:28 PM »
Yesterday, we went off to Solihull and only arrived back in the early afternoon.  After something to eat, we graced J Sainsbury with our presence and, when we returned home again, we had a cup of tea.  Then, at last, I went to the Train Shed.  When I first opened it up the temperature was 33.6C, so I opened the door wide and opened the windows.  While I was working in there, the temperature fell below 30C (just).  My first task was to examine 6417 to see if I could fit in a 6-pin plug and socket for a Lenz decoder.  But it all looks a little tight, so I think I will send it off to Douglas at Wickness who can remove the socked and hard wire in a Lenz decoder.

Then I turned my attention to the terraforming adjacent to Burnham rocks.  I applied the first layer of plaster bandage.

The tunnel end is not very clear in the first photo, so here is one of the tunnel end.

After that, I moved the whole town West, to enable work to proceed on the roads. 

Next, I cut to shape and glued down a small piece of EPS to allow the road to pass the corner of the goods yard.

Then I cut out a piece of carborundum paper for the station yard, before moving the hotel back into position. 

The road from London Road Bridge will enter the station yard and the deviate outside and will then run alongside the station yard, in front of the hotel.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3464 on: July 24, 2019, 08:00:24 PM »
Today we were back to a normal gym day.  So that meant I had time for a train shed session this morning.  I began with a running session and filmed Tiverton Castle at the head of the Dragon Beach Express, thundering through Platform 2 at 70mph. 

Then I began to stick down the station forecourt by applying some PVA to the East end of the wet and dry paper and weighting in down with my socket set.

That concluded the morning session in the Train Shed.  In the afternoon, I decided that it was too hot for any strenuous work, so I picked fruit instead.  Today it was blueberries, Tayberries and raspberries.  Then I pick a few peas that I had missed at the weekend, before setting about the runner beans once more.  Once that was done, I repaired to the Train Shed again, having opened it up much earlier to allow some air flow.  This time, I applied the second layer of plaster bandage to the side of the Burnham Rocks Cutting.

It’s difficult to get a picture, but I did it through the window from the outside again.  This is a picture taken through the adjoining window, looking the other way.

After that, I glued down the station forecourt and added a side road.

I will need to find some way to simulate bitumen strips to join the various bits of road surface together.  Then I added some plaster bandage to the corner of the goods yard that I created yesterday with a piece of EPS.

Tomorrow, I hope to be able to finish the plaster bandage in the cutting, ready for painting. 
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58%