!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 307082 times)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3420 on: July 05, 2019, 07:38:29 PM »
sounds like one had a fun day working those calculations and programming

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3421 on: July 05, 2019, 08:25:09 PM »
Iíve only just realised Laurence that your railway is entirely steam. No diesels.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3422 on: July 06, 2019, 06:44:41 AM »
Iíve only just realised Laurence that your railway is entirely steam. No diesels.
True, but only at the moment.  I have a bubble car on order, but the first one was faulty, so I'm waiting for a replacement.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3423 on: July 06, 2019, 07:34:24 AM »
Thanks for the updates Laurence, I bought some graphite sticks a while back too, have not tried them in anger yet, but now all my tracks are cleared, I plan to do a thorough track clean and finish off with the graphite to see if it prolongs the periods between cleaning any.

You have also reminded me I need to tweak some of the CV's on loco's I got that were DCC fitted & don't run particularly well, even on clean tracks

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3424 on: July 06, 2019, 08:15:19 PM »
Iíve had a busy and very energetic day today.  We began with our weekly walk into Hessle to the butchers.  Not that itís my first walk into Hessle this week.  I had two council meetings and a hairdresserís appointment and walked there and back on each occasion.  So thatís eight miles of walking already.  When we returned we had coffee and then I spent the rest of the morning constructing some U3A advertising cards for Celia (sheís the chairman, so not to be refused) using PowerPoint. 

In the afternoon, I had a very energetic session.  First I extracted my working platform from the garage and erected it in the Bin 3 of the compost system, which has been empty for some time.  This was to enable me to cut the top of the high hedge (box and beech) behind the compost bins.  Then I dismantled the platform and transferred the contents of Bin 2 to Bin 3, ready to transfer the contents of Bin 1, which is full, into Bin 2.  Then I re-erected the platform next to Bin 1 and continued to cut the top of the hedge.  Finally, I dismantled the platform and moved it further up the hedge for more cutting. 

I had intended to transfer the contents of Bin 1 into Bin 2 but, by the time I had finished all the hedge cutting and the re-stowing of the platform, I was just about on my last legs, so it was time for a cup of tea and a visit to the Train Shed.  There, I continued with setting the CV values.  By the time I had finished, Forthampton Grange was complete.  At first I thought that, after setting the Top voltage for maximum speed, I would set the deceleration for stopping in the loops and in the station, before setting the acceleration.  However, the stopping distance is affected by the acceleration because the train doesnít quite reach maximum speed before it is time to decelerate.  I think I got away with it with Forthampton Grange, but I have decided that I will set the acceleration first in future. 

I then moved on to Jubilee Class, 45772 Eire, but I struggled with the Top Voltage.  Whatever I did made no difference.  Then I remembered that it is fitted with a Bachmann decoder.  The Bachmann decoders do not have a setting for the Top Voltage, but require CV66 to be set instead.  On setting CV 66, there was an instant change but, by then, it was time to stop.  I have decided that I will replace all Bachmann decoders, probably with Lenz Silver Minis, but then I will have to reprogram those locos again.  Iím not sure what to do with 6417, because it has its pins set at right-angles, so I may have to send it off to Douglas at Wickness.

After the Train Shed visit, I picked our first peas of the season, which were shelled and eaten with gusto, together with a couple of lamb chops.  Delicious!
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3425 on: July 06, 2019, 08:25:55 PM »
thank you

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3426 on: July 07, 2019, 07:45:55 PM »
Today, being the first Sunday in the month, it was the farmersí market.  We went along first thing to buy some Lincolnshire Poacher Cheese and, while we were there, we bought some plants for the garden.  When we returned home, it was time for coffee.  After coffee, I started work in the garden. 

The season of plenty has begun!  I started by picking Sungold tomatoes from the greenhouse.  Then, I finished what I had started yesterday, moving all the material in compost Bay 1 into Bay 2.  I also carried another sack of soil up to the side of the house for Celia to spread onto the bed that she had started on yesterday.  After yesterdayís exertions, that was quite enough heavy work for today.  Then I brought out the relatively new cordless strimmer to strim round the edges of the lawn.  I cut the grass last week and the new cordless mower is brilliant, but there were some long bits around the edges, particularly along the sides of the raised beds. 

After that, I set about harvesting some soft fruit from the fruit bed.  That entailed unclipping the side netting and climbing inside.  I picked blueberries, blackcurrants and two varieties of gooseberries, red and yellow.  Then it was time for something to eat.  In the afternoon, I picked Tayberries, strawberries and raspberries.  The strawberries are particularly disappointing this year, partly because, at the end of last summer, we replaced the old plants which were four years old and planted out new plants grown from runners.  But the fruit in general is very disappointing this year.  The espaliers have virtually no fruit, although the other fruit trees are doing alright.

After the usual afternoon cup of tea, I repaired to the Train Shed.  On my way, I captured this image of a bus in the sky, which has been around for a couple of weeks now.  You can see that there are a two inspectors in a gondola looking at the underside, presumably wondering how they will get it down.

Once in the train Shed, I continued calibrating the locos.  I managed to complete Eire and then started on the Union Mills G2.  I have pretty well finished it now, running at a scale speed of 15mph.  I would like to have been able to run it at a much slower speed, but it would take forever to get around the layout during a normal operating session.  Because it runs so slowly, it is impossible to get it to proceed fully into the loops under deceleration so I have had to run it at 50% of full speed for its normal running around the layout so that, once safely in the tunnel, I can speed it up to full speed and then set it to stop under deceleration.

Tomorrow, I will continue with the programming.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3427 on: July 07, 2019, 07:49:51 PM »
The cheese sounds lovely. Hope you finish your loco programming laurence

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3428 on: July 07, 2019, 08:26:56 PM »
Thanks Laurence.
Just to continue on the fruit theme.
Our strawberries have been patchy this year though we have picked enough for pudding for several days running over the last 3 weeks or so.
Gooseberries on the other hand have been the bst ever. We picked some 12lbs today with at least the same amount still on the bushes. I have the scratches on my arm to prove it too.
Our raspberries are all Autumn varieties so weíll see what transpires there later in the year.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3429 on: July 08, 2019, 07:41:22 AM »
I don't have any scratches on my hands because I wear kid gloves.  :D  There're actualy made of deerskin and are gauntlets so they protect the hands and forearms.  I did get one or two scratches on my legs and upper arms.  The gloves are fairly expensive at £25 a pair, but we are both really pleased with them.  Whenever I come across a wild blackberry rearing its ugly head (the garden was overgrown with them when we moved in five years ago) I can simply grasp it with both hands and literally pull it up by the roots.  They are particularly useful for attacking pyracantha.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3430 on: July 08, 2019, 09:17:22 PM »
First, an apology.  There are no pictures today.  But we went off to play table tennis, followed by a visit to Waitrose to buy some bread mix.  At one time I used to make all my bread from scratch, banging it on the work top and putting it in a warm place to rise.  Once, before the advent of fitted kitchens, I actually managed to knock the worktop of the wall with my efforts.  However, some years ago, we bought a bread making machine and, now, Iíve become even lazier and use bread mix.  However, if times ever get hard again, Iím sure I can go back to first principles.

Before we went, I managed to finish programming the G2 and set up the route for 80119.  After we returned, I did some printing for Celiaís U3A cards and then, after something to eat, there were some garden jobs.  I tied up the vine to the pergola and removed some pathetic lettuce plants, replacing them with some pots of cut-and-come-again that we bought at the farmersí market.  Eventually, I made it down to the Train Shed again. I worked on 80119 and thought I had it cracked until I set CV6, after which it behaved terribly, leaving me to set its acceleration back to zero to carry out some of the calibration.  At one point, when I started it, the display on the walkaround flashed and then, when I tried to stop it, I had lost control of it completely.  Resorting to emergency shut off of all locos failed to stop it and I had to turn off the power and then turn it on again before I could regain control.  This has happened a couple of times before and I can only assume it is a result of an infinite program loop in the controller.  At that stage, Celia being out for the afternoon, I stopped for a cup of tea.

When I returned to the Train Shed, I was able to complete the programming for 80119 and the moved on to Ditcheat Manor with the parcels train.  Please note that I am carrying out the programming with a full train behind each loco to ensure that the CVs are set for normal operations.  It took a little while to get Ditcheat Manor programmed, but once it was complete, I was able to set the routes ready for the Union Mills J26 with the pickup goods.

Tomorrow, I expect to continue with the locos stored in the UP loops and, perhaps, make a start on the locos in the DOWN loops.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3431 on: July 09, 2019, 08:01:05 PM »
Itís been a very mixed day today.  We went to the gym, as usual, followed by a trip to J Sainsbury.  But, before we went, I had a session in the Train Shed.  I worked on the programming of Union Mills J26, 65761.  It actually went like a dream, but a very slow dream because it takes six minutes for a circuit of the layout at a scale speed of 20mph and I needed three runs to get it right.  Then I managed to program the acceleration and deceleration plus the other CVs.  Given that it had been a problem only a short time ago, it seemed like a miracle that it ran so well.  Then I set up for the next loco, Ivatt Mogul 46443. 

In the afternoon, I gave the espaliers another session, cutting back the leaders and tying in the horizontals.  That was followed by tending the greenhouse tomatoes and fruit picking.  While that was going on, the postman delivered the replacement diesel railcar.  So, after a cup of tea, I repaired to the Train Shed to try it out.  But that is where the good news ended.   :(

The bad news was that it still would not run correctly.  The decoder clearly accepted programming instructions because the railcar jumped each time I sent an instruction, which is common with many decoders.  I could program the acceleration and deceleration to operate correctly but Vhigh (CV5), that controls the maximum speed, had no effect. I also tried implementing the speed steps via CV25 and CV29, but it made no difference.  I checked the Dapol Imperium CV list and there was nothing that would suggest any difference from the NMRA specification.  It made no difference what speed I specified for Vhigh, there was no change to the behaviour.  I was trying to run in the 28-speed step mode (which is the most common configuration).  At Speed Step 1 it crept along.  At Speed Step 28 it also crept along. But at all the intermediate speed steps, its speed increased linearly up to a scale speed of more than 100mph at Speed Step 27 and programming the decoder had no effect on the speed at any of these steps.

At that point, I decided to give up and sent an Email off to Hattons suggesting that the best policy would be to return it for a refund.  One possible solution might be to replace it with a DCC ready version instead of a DCC fitted model and for Hattons to forward it on to Wickness Models for DCC fitting.  I copied this Email to Douglas at Wickness Models in case he knows any information that might shed any light on the problem.

So I never got round to programming 46443 after all.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3432 on: July 09, 2019, 09:43:56 PM »
Laurence, I'm delighted that your Union Mills 'J26' is giving good service again.  Do you think it was the application of graphite to the rails that did the trick?

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3433 on: July 10, 2019, 06:21:18 AM »
Laurence, I'm delighted that your Union Mills 'J26' is giving good service again.  Do you think it was the application of graphite to the rails that did the trick?

Best wishes.

John
The graphite certainly made a big difference.  :)
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3434 on: July 10, 2019, 06:27:52 AM »
Morning laurence. Hope you get your faulty locomotive repaired. Thank you for posting and have a positive day, look forward to this evening's instalment

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal