!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 309613 times)

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3405 on: July 01, 2019, 07:04:47 PM »
Buffers model railways ten commaodments. A certain e b * y or amaz&n

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #3406 on: July 01, 2019, 07:15:08 PM »
Thank you - just ordered a pack - seem to be very good price!
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3407 on: July 01, 2019, 07:21:50 PM »
Today, being the first Monday in the month, we had a U3A committee meeting, so table tennis had to be deferred until the afternoon.  But I did manage an early running session in the Train Shed.  This time I filmed 46122, Royal Ulster Rifleman at the head of the DOWN South Midlander.

Like Forthampton Grange yesterday, it slowed noticeably when it reached the graphite section of track.  Unfortunately, or in this case fortunately, I failed to switch on the camera and so I had to run it around, tail chasing 46443 to film it again.  It seemed a little better on the second run.  When the operating session had finished, I ran the two expresses (the other being Tiverton Castle with the Dragon Beach Express) in a tail chase for a couple of circuits.  Things seemed to improve, so Iím not sure of the problem.  One possibility is that it could be drag caused by the graphite, the effect of which wears off after a little running.  Iíll have to wait until a few more trains have run to get a clearer idea of whatís going on.

Later in the afternoon, after the inevitable cup of tea, I managed another short running session in the Train Shed.  This time, 6713 brought the branch goods into the goods end of Platform 4, followed by 6417 arriving at Platform 2 with the local Kingly to Evenbury train.

After that, Ditcheat Manor arrived at Platform 3 from Worcester.  I havenít included Ditcheat Manor or 6417 in the filming, because I already have clips of them from a previous session.  However, Ditcheat Manor, over the graphite coated rails, seemed to run more smoothly than previously.  So that is a good sign.  After the departure of Ditcheat Manor, 6417 set off for Evenbury.

Then 6713 took the branch goods away to Norton.

After that, I cut a small triangular section of EPS to allow the road to pass by the corner of the goods yard (pictures later).
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3408 on: July 01, 2019, 07:27:30 PM »
thanks laurence

darren - you visited a certain website to but graphite sticks ?

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #3409 on: July 01, 2019, 10:13:56 PM »
Great results with the Graphite sticks! Any recommended suppliers?

Try Hobbycraft, @DarrwestLU6 they sell artists loft graphite sticks, a pack of 4 costs £2. I have hardly had to do much cleaning since I started using them over a year ago

Regards,

Alex

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #3410 on: July 02, 2019, 09:19:09 AM »
HB, 2B, 4B, 6B, or 8B pencil grades?

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3411 on: July 02, 2019, 09:27:19 AM »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #3412 on: July 02, 2019, 09:30:21 AM »
Thanks, Laurence. I, normally, buy via eBay or Amazon, depending on which one is cheaper (overall,  inc. postage to Prague). 6B it is.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3413 on: July 02, 2019, 05:23:43 PM »
Today was a really busy day.  First, we went to the gym as usual, but then had to go straight into Hull for a couple of fairly urgent things.  So we had a meal while we were there and then finished off with a trip to Beverley to take some things for our daughterís holiday.  The result was that we didnít arrive home again until 1630 and I have to go out again at 1900 for a council meeting (whose idea was it to stand for the council? Ė well not mine, thatís for sure).  Anyway, I had a couple of hours to write up todayís episode in the Train Shed.  I had a good running session this morning, before we went to the gym and ran two sub-cycles, which leaves only one before I reach the cleaning cycle, when I will apply the graphite to the storage loops.

This morningís session featured B17, 61664 Liverpool, which arrived at Platform 2 with a train from Norwich.

Prior to the arrival of 61664, 5572 trundled into Platform 4 from Norton and 80119 arrived from Evenbury with a Worcester to Aylesbury local.  I have already filmed these so I didnít need to film them again. 

After a brief stop, which allowed me to run 6713 around the branch goods at Norton, Liverpool set off again for its final destination, Worcester.

After all the trains had left, I decided that there was enough time to run the next sub-cycle, featuring Tiverton Castle with the up Dragon Beach Express, on its way from Pwllheli to Paddington.

The other trains had been filmed before, so I didnít make new films of them as such, but I thought a little shot of them both leaving the station might be appropriate.

I have another council meeting tomorrow, but the day wonít be quite so busy, so I should be able to get as far as the cleaning cycle.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3414 on: July 02, 2019, 05:28:47 PM »
Thanls louely videos

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3415 on: July 03, 2019, 06:35:07 PM »
Today was another gym day and I had an early session in the Train Shed.  Todayís film clip is slightly unusual in that it involves two trains passing each other through the station.  First, you see the Union Mills J26, 65761, with the return pick-up goods trundling through the Platform 3 on the DOWN line.  The camera follows it along the platform, then pans left to pick up Class 5 45206 at the head of the return milk train on the UP line through Platform 2.  The camera follows the milk train before returning to the pick-up goods until it disappeared under London Road bridge.

Iím pleased to say the Union Mills is now running nicely, after the graphite application.  However, it stalled at the final exit point from the DOWN loops and again once the cameras were rolling at the point for the junction to the branch.  So I had to reset the acceleration back to zero to make the video. 

Yesterday, the replacement pony truck for 3846 arrived and, after the filming session, I fitted it to 3846.  It ran better, but was still prone to derail at a couple of points.  When the afternoon post arrived, there were some small people in the post.

Later, after gardening and a cup of tea, I returned to the Train Shed and had another go with the pony truck for 3846.  I reinserted the little collar that I had made to lower the pony truck, but it made it worse.  It then occurred to me that the problems had beset 3846 soon after I began running trains, when I had removed the front coupling.  So I thought I would reinsert the coupling.  However, there was no NEM pocket in the pony truck, so I had to add one before inserting the coupling.  After that, the pony truck ran perfectly.  But it seems a bit sad that I have to run with a front coupling that is superfluous to requirements and looks out of place.  Perhaps I need to add a little weight to the front of the pony truck instead.  Iíll think about a little blue tack for a tester.

After running 3846, I had time (just) to move all the trains out of the UP loops ready for graphite application.  I have to go out to another council meeting tonight, so there will be no more Train Shed activity until tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #3416 on: July 03, 2019, 06:49:08 PM »
Very nice little video Laurence. Its good to see your trains running through at modest scale speeds.

So many videos are posted showing trains careering round radius 1 curves at unrealistic high speeds with unimaginable g-forces on the poor passengers! (Rant over - a pet hate!)  :)

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3417 on: July 04, 2019, 07:12:31 PM »
Today I had an early appointment at the hairdressers to get my hair cut.  So there was no early session in the Train Shed.  Celia had to go out to the hairdresser later, so there was not really time for a visit before I made the coffee.  After Celia went out, I cut the grass before visiting the Train Shed.  I began by applying the graphite to the UP loops and then moved all the trains out of the DOWN loops.  In the afternoon, we had the U3A opera appreciation group (we hold the DVD player) so there was no time for the Train Shed until nearly teatime.  In the post today, came the last of the little people I ordered.

I then had time to graphite the DOWN loops before moving all the trains back to their correct starting positions.  I have realised that the slow running in places, after the application of the graphite, is caused by wheel slip on the tender drive locos.  So, now the trains are all ready to run again, I have created a calibration sheet and I will recalibrate everything with the track in its current state.  I wonít begin the latest timetable until calibration is complete.

With kind regards
Laurence

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3418 on: July 04, 2019, 07:20:29 PM »
Thank you. Hope the graphite did the trick

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3419 on: July 05, 2019, 07:31:30 PM »
Friday is my domestic chores day and, also, we were expecting the blind man.  I think I pointed out previously that it was not the man with the white stick but the man with some new blinds for our windows.  So there was no Train Shed activity this morning.  However, eventually, in the afternoon I was able to make it down to the Train Shed.  I began by transcribing all the values from my exercise book for the CV values programmed into the locos. 

Later I tried to calibrate Tiverton Castle.  After a few runs, I was able to get it to the right values for a 70mph average around the layout.  This is what it looks like at a scale 70mph on its DOWN run.

And here it is again on the UP run.

I constructed a new form to record the CV values that I set to achieve the best running conditions.

Once I had completed the values for Tiverton Castle to my satisfaction, I began on the calibration for Forthampton Grange.  I will continue with the calibration tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58%