!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 231012 times)

alwood and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3360 on: June 21, 2019, 07:59:32 PM »
It was a busy day today.  Apart from my usual weekly chores which are due on a Friday, we he a couple of other issues.  First, we had to wait in for the plumber to come and rectify the damage caused by the kitchen fitting companyís project manager, when he tried to repair the door panel to our built-in fridge-freezer.  He managed to force the door off its hinges and the result was damage to the door and damage to the kitchen tap.  A fitter arrived on Tuesday and fitted a new door panel but, when he looked at the tap, he managed to trigger a leak form on of the isolators under the sink. 

He decided that it needed a plumber to fix the tap, but we didnít discover the leak until the next day, when everything in the cupboard under the sink had been flooded.  It Ďs a long story but, eventually, the leak dried up and so the tap was the only outstanding issue.

After the plumber, we had to wait in for the blind man.  No, he wasnít blind, but he fitted blinds.  Now that we have completed all the window replacements, we needed to have some new blinds fitted.  After that, we went to Beverley to try and buy Celia the shoes which we were unable to locate yesterday in Doncaster.  At least, we were able to buy one of the two pairs that she required.

We returned home and, after a cup of tea, I made it down to the Train Shed.  There I began running the Union Mills J26 again.  First I ran it a full speed.

Then I tried it at slow speed, but it stopped not longer after I began to film it.

I got it going again and it sailed off into the sunset.

Itís not quite that simple though.  It stopped several times, even at high speed.  I thought I would try some more IPA, but I noticed that, although the drivers were nice and bright, the tender wheels were very black.  Later, I checked the Union Mills G2 and found the same thing.  Iím not sure how to clean the tender wheels.

While all this was going on, I used some plaster bandage to doctor the ramp for the farm track that I made yesterday.

I think it will all work out OK in the end.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3361 on: June 21, 2019, 09:41:30 PM »
Laurence

Please don't worry about the black tender wheels.  They are like that on new Union Mills locomotives.  After lots of running, the tyres start to go shiny.

If you want to clean them, you can easily take the wheels out (just like a wheel drop for big engines) or you can clean them in situ by applying power.  I have made a little gadget to make this easy.  To remove the wheel sets, please remove the bottom plate by undoing the two machine screws.  The plate will lift off.  Please beware of the spring flying out of the coupling and being lost forever.  I remove the coupling and spring at this stage to prevent this potential annoyance.  Then lift out the wheel sets. 

To clean the wheels on one side (traction tyre on the other side!), I use a non-fluffy rag with that WD40 'Contact Cleaner' mentioned in the US article that @Webbo so kindly drew to our attention.  You could use your IPA if you don't have the WD40.  By the way, the middle wheelset is free-rotating, but picks up power, and its wheels can be cleaned as well.

Hope this helps.

All good wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #3362 on: June 21, 2019, 09:57:37 PM »
Sorry about the kitchen woes, Laurence.

This sprang immediately to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyeMFSzPgGc

Hope all is now well.

Dave G

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3363 on: June 22, 2019, 06:40:16 AM »
Sorry about the kitchen woes, Laurence.

This sprang immediately to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyeMFSzPgGc

Hope all is now well.

Dave G
Yes, Dave, I had a real gas man sequence a couple of months ago, but all is well now.  :)
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3364 on: June 22, 2019, 06:17:08 PM »
Today, being Saturday, we walked into Hessle as usual.  Before we went I had a short session in the Train Shed.  I decided to run 45206 with the milk train, which uses the same routes as the J26.  It ran perfectly, except for one point at the entrance to the UP loops where it suddenly jolted to a halt.  The J26 had also stopped in the same place.  I tried several times, but it seemed to be a mechanical jolt rather than a loss of electrical contact.  In the end I ran out of time and off we went to the butchers. 

After we returned, we walked in the other direction, under the Humber Bridge to have a look at the Humber Bridge Soapbox Derby.  We spent a while there and watched all the practise runs before returning home for coffee, followed by quite a bit of gardening.  During the day, I also had time to do some work on the website I have built for rapid disemination of council news.

In the afternoon, after a cup of tea, I had another session in the Train Shed.  I managed to get to the bottom of the problem at the entrance to the UP loops.  It turned out to be a very short length of rail between two points, about 20mm long, that had no sleeper support.  By adjusting it in the rail joiners, I solved the problem.  So I was able to have another go with the J26.  Before running it, I applied a little contact cleaner to the wheel bearings and that improved things a lot, but not enough to give smooth slow running.  I also tried out my J39, that had been replaced by the J26.  It also required some contact cleaner, but then ran a little better than the J26.

While all this was going on, I laid some more plaster bandage to form the base for the farm track.

When it is all finished, I will paint it brown and the try covering it using some kiln dried sand mixed with ballast magic, in the hope that it wall make a useful farm track effect.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3365 on: June 22, 2019, 06:24:07 PM »
looking good that scenery

hope you blend it in well and enjoy a continuous flow of the landscape. hope you sort j26 out

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3366 on: June 23, 2019, 03:10:47 PM »
Hello Laurence

I did not want to clutter your excellent thread with my ramblings and dodgy photographs about in situ cleaning of tender wheels on Union Mills engines.  Here's a link if of any interest;

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg574846#msg574846

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3367 on: June 23, 2019, 06:40:44 PM »
We had a bit of a family do last night.  It was our son-in-lawís parents sixtieth wedding anniversary and we were obliged to attend.  That meant we didnít get back until late and so we were late to bed.  As a result, we had a little bit of a lie in and so were all behind this morning.  However, we eventually got going, although I decided against the Train Shed this morning.  There was quite a bit to do in the garden again and I wanted to get on because there was a threat of thunderstorms later.  I soldiered on and, after a cup of tea in the afternoon, I eventually made it down to the Train Shed.  I concentrated on cutting up sufficient plaster bandage to complete the EPS layer between the town and the area that I had already been working on.  I havenít wet it and fixed it in place yet, but this this is area in question, with the dry bandage in place ready for wetting.

While that was going on, I concentrated on getting the goods locos going again.  I will leave the Union Mills J26 until I can summon up sufficient courage to take Johnís recommendations on board for cleaning Union Mills locos.  In the meantime, I tried running J39, 64960 again.  At an artificially high full speed, it rattled round the layout, although the drivers were still inclined to lock up a lot.  After a while, I tried running it around slowly and, although there was a stall on the first circuit, it then progressed without further hiccups.  In the end, I reduced its top speed back to normal (45 instead of145) and it was still running nicely.  I also noticed that the drivers were much less inclined to lock up at the slower speed.  In the end, I reset its acceleration back to normal and it was still running normally, although there was a slight tendency to stall when accelerating from rest.  Hereís a little clip of it slow running.

I had another go with the Union Mills J26, but decided to leave it in the siding for now and try and sort it out later.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3368 on: June 23, 2019, 06:46:10 PM »
Thanks for that. Glad you enjoyed the event and hope to hear how the j26 loco performs

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #3369 on: June 23, 2019, 07:08:12 PM »
I've not forgotten the very nearly finished station bookstall. I plan to complete it and post it off, next month, Laurence.

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3370 on: June 23, 2019, 07:31:21 PM »
Hi Laurence,

Having had no time for model railways for what seems like for ever, I'm just catching up on what people are up to.

Your progress on the scenic side has been fantastic, and the videos have been great. I find videos of  trains running really useful, as one day when I get a big layout I will have an idea of what rakes to run.

With all best wishes

Kevin

:beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #3371 on: June 23, 2019, 07:44:32 PM »
When you need info. on train rakes, Kevin. I'll be happy to help, too. There will be a special passenger train running from Morton Hinmarche to North Cornwall, soon.

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3372 on: June 24, 2019, 04:59:55 AM »
Thanks for that Chris ..... it won't be for a long while yet though  :D :D :D

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3373 on: June 24, 2019, 07:02:12 PM »
Today was our table tennis day.  Before we went, I had a short session in the Train Shed, but I didnít have time to do anything significant.  However, I noticed that I had parked the pick-up goods in the UP loops, whereas I should have parked them in the DOWN loops.  So I was able to run it around the circuit, in the charge of J39, 64960.  It ran very well at slow speed.

After table tennis, it was gardening, so it was later in the afternoon that I went down to the Train Shed again, this time, for a change, before a cup of tea.  After the break of the last few days, I ran the next sub-cycle.  Hereís 5572 arriving from Norton with
A branch passenger.

That was followed by 80119 with a local passenger from Evenbury.

Then Cranmore Hall brought I a Hereford train to Platform 2.

After a short pause, Cranmore set off for Worcester.

The 80119 departed for Kingly.

Finally, 5572 set off for Shipton.

Then I applied all the plaster bandage that I had cut up yesterday.

It is rumoured that a Tullibardine malt whisky van has been sighted in the area and that it was carrying samples for the local hotels and hostelries.  Unconfirmed reports suggest that both the Dinsdale Arms Hotel and the Station Hotel will be market testing, as will the Grange House Hotel and the White Antelope.  We will have to await photographs of the van when they are available.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3374 on: June 25, 2019, 07:29:42 PM »
Today was expected to be wet and the expectation was fulfilled.  The forecast was for rain overnight and during the morning, but we had none overnight.  However, once it started, it lasted until teatime.  So there was no gardening.  But I did go down to the Train Shed before we went to the gym.  Tomorrow, we are off to Pickering for a couple of nights to have a day out on the NYMR.  So I needed to have a back story ready for when we are away.  To that end, this morningís session in the Train Shed was a photo shoot ready for the next instalment.  As part of the photo shoot, I used the station pilot, 9744.  But it really wouldnít run at all.  So I gave it a squirt or two of contact cleaner and tried running it around the layout.  It steadily improved, but not to my satisfaction.

After the gym, it was a visit to J Sainsbury and then, after something to eat, we went off to Hobbycraft for some cards and other bits and pieces for Celia.  After we returned, we had a cup of tea and then I had a second shift in the Train Shed.  This time I had an operating session.  First, you see 4571 arriving at Platform 4 from Shipton.

Then 46443 arrived at Platform 2 with a local from Kingly.

After that, Union Mill G2, 49368, was seen trundling through the station with a coal train.  If you look carefully, you may detect a small discontinuity in the video, where 49368 stalled on a set of points.  It didnít loose its electrical connection, but the tender wheels were pulling away, without moving the train.  This has happened before with 46368 at points.  Iím not sure of the cause but, obviously, something must be sticking.  Anyway, I had to run it over the points again and stitch the two videos together using my video editor.

Once 49368 had passed through the station, 46443 set of for Evenbury.

Finally, 4571 departed for Norton.

After the running session, I tried 9744 running around the layout again.  I gave it some more contact cleaner and things improved, but there were places where it still stuck.  Sometime ago, I purchased some graphite sticks, but I was reluctant to use them.  In desperation, I gave some of the track a rub with a graphite stick and that made a real difference. 

In the end, I was able to reset its acceleration again and, when it wouldnít run in the goods yard, where the track has never been cleaned, I tried the graphite stick on the track and, would you believe it, 9744 then managed to run there as well.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 07:45:22 PM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP