!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 224186 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3345 on: June 15, 2019, 06:41:40 PM »
looking good

Laurence, your progress is motivating me to work a little harder!!!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3346 on: June 16, 2019, 08:15:46 PM »
Today was a very busy day, so I had to defer my visit to the Train Shed until later on in the afternoon.  I began the day by moving all the bird feeder poles to reduce the amount of seed falling on the lawn (sorry, grass).  The first was quite straightforward.  The second had rusted up and required a deal of effort to separate the two parts of the upright.  Once apart, I treated the joint with Castrol LM grease to prevent the problem occurring again.  But the third was much more difficult.  Try as I would, I just could not separate the bottom section from the rest of the pole, which was necessary to knock it back into the ground.  I tried WD40 on the joint, to no avail.  I wanted to squirt oil from the bottom, but it was clogged up with clay.  I tried to make a hole in the clay with a long tent peg, but it wasnít long enough.  Eventually, I found something long enough to reach the joint and poured in some 3-in-one, but there was still no joy.  After a long time and many attempts, I managed to start twisting the two sections apart.  Phew!  More grease was applied to the screw thread before re-assembly.

I then did some staking of armoured cables to the garden lights, followed by netting the fruit bed and the raspberry bed.  After that I attended to the espaliers, snipping and tying.  By which time I was ready for something to eat.  In the afternoon, I dug out a section of lawn under one of the bird feeders and laid some block paving.  Then, after a cup of tea, I finally made it down to the Train Shed.

As is my wont, I began with a running session.  However, I first needed to hoover up all the static grass beside the mound I covered yesterday.  The first thing I did was to run 4571 back out of the Norton loops and re-filme it leaving Platform 4.

The I ran the next sub-cycle.  I havenít include the branch goods because that was already in the can.  So the first snippet is of 6417 with its ĎBí set arriving at Platform 3.

Then Ditcheat Manor arrived at Platform 2 with a parcels train from Aylesbury.  I re-filmed this as the previous snippet didnít include 6417 in the station.

Eventually, Ditcheat Manor set off for Worcester.

Then 6417 departed for Kingly, where it will terminate.

Once all the running was over, I turned my attention to Burnham Rocks once again.  I completed the static grass, but the picture I took was largely out of focus, so Iíll include another tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3347 on: June 16, 2019, 08:22:01 PM »
sounds like a productive day laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3348 on: June 17, 2019, 07:39:48 PM »
Today was the big day in that we had the U3A Healthy Aging group for the afternoon.  So this morning was all about getting ready.  But I did fit in a Train Shed session before the end of the morning.  First I ran an operating session and, this time, I tried viewing the station using a panorama view, panning from one end of the station boards to the other.  Itís all an experiment at the present, but eventually, I will want to create some definitive videos to demonstrate the whole of the latest timetable.  So I need to find the best way to film the trains and the layout.  First here, you see 5572 arriving at Platform 4 with a branch passenger from Shipton.

Then 80119 arrives at Platform 2 with a local passenger from Kingly, originating from Aylesbury at 1754.

Then Jubilee Class 45572, Eire, arrives at Platform 3 with the 1625 from Nottingham Midland.

After a short pause, 45572 departs for Aylesbury.

Then 80119 sets off for Evenbury.

Finally, 5572 pulls away, taking the branch passenger on to Norton.

Once the running was all done, I turned my attention to the scenic work again.  First I re-took the picture of the work done yesterday because I made a mess of the focussing.

Then I added some flowering meadow mix to the ends before placing the Burnham rocks on top of the mound.

In the afternoon, the visitors were quite keen to see the layout, so I set 6417 running as a demonstration.  They were keen to take pictures and even a movie or two, which was all very gratifying.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3349 on: June 17, 2019, 07:57:24 PM »
laurence

thanks for the nightly videoposting, super scenery

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3350 on: June 18, 2019, 07:30:21 PM »
Today was another busy day, but for a different reason.  First, we had the window man arrive to replace the remaining five ground floor windows with new μPVC ones.  While he was here, the kitchen man called to replace the door panel for the fridge section of the integrated fridge/freezer.  In the meantime, Celia went off to her class at the gym, which meant that I had to stooge around for the workmen.  So I didnít get down to the Train Shed this morning.  But I did sneak out and pick some strawberries, nearly a pound and a half, so they are really coming into their own now.  We had the ratty ones, cut up, with balsamic vinegar and a little castor sugar, which is really delicious.  We learned to do that from a favourite Italian restaurant that we used to visit in the centre of Birmingham, now long gone.  The rest we will have tomorrow with cream.

After all the workmen had gone, I had to make a trip to the bank to pay in some bags of coins, followed by some deliveries and, finally, a visit to J Sainsbury.  However, after a cup of tea, I eventually made it down to the Train Shed.  There was no scenic work today but I did manage a running session, using yesterdayís panorama format for the station board.  First you see 4571 arrive with its single coach from Norton.

The 46443 arrived from Evenbury with a local train.

While both trains were waiting in the station, 92006 came rushing through with a full train of fish from Grimsby, on its way to Bristol Midland Road.

Then 46443 set off for Kingly.

Finally, 4571 departed from Platform 4, bound for Shipton.

Tomorrow, I may get some scenic work done.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3351 on: June 18, 2019, 07:40:42 PM »
laurence

thanks for sharing your videos

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3352 on: June 19, 2019, 07:54:12 PM »
Today we were back to normal with going to the gym.  I had my usual running session in the Train Shed before we went.  I tried a slightly different filming position today, but Iím not convinced it really worked.  It began with 6713 bringing the branch goods into Platform 4 from Shipton.

Then Ditcheat Manor arrived at Platform 3 with a parcels train from Worcester.

Once both trains were installed in the station and their loads were being attended to, J26, 65761 trundled out of the goods depot.

65761 is one of the two Union Mills locos that I bought recently.  I have to say that I am very disappointed with the two Union Mills locos because they are not very good when running at prototypical unfitted goods speeds.  The G2 is by far the better of the two, but 65761 is now only running with the acceleration set to zero and, even then, sometimes stops for no reason.  I had to curtail the above sequence because it stopped while passing through Black Horse Cutting.

After that, Ditcheat Manor departed from Platform 3 with its load of parcels for Aylesbury.

Finally, 6713 set off for Norton with the branch goods

I didnít get back to the Train Shed later because of other commitments so, once again, I didnít get round to any scenic work.  My disappointment is not only with the Union Mills Locos.  The Panasonic Lumix camera that I bought last year has also been disappointing.  The problem is that it doesnít have an aperture less than f8, so the depth of focus is very poor.  This means that, when filming from a tripod, a lot of the film is out of focus.  It isnít practical to change the focus when filming, because there is no benchmark to show the focal point.  I think it would be a very good camera for filming out of doors scenes, but the small scale of N gauge is not suitable for it.  Ah well!
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3353 on: June 19, 2019, 08:50:53 PM »
65761 is one of the two Union Mills locos that I bought recently.  I have to say that I am very disappointed with the two Union Mills locos because they are not very good when running at prototypical unfitted goods speeds.  The G2 is by far the better of the two, but 65761 is now only running with the acceleration set to zero and, even then, sometimes stops for no reason.  I had to curtail the above sequence because it stopped while passing through Black Horse Cutting.

I am so very sorry to hear this, Laurence.  My Union Mills goods engines (particularly those with the post-2015 motor) run very well with unfitted trains.  Of course, my layout is much smaller than yours and is DC, so my experience does not immediately translate to your circumstances.  I know that @Chris in Prague has a fleet of Union Mills engines which run on DCC and perhaps he will be able to offer some experience of slow running with DCC.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #3354 on: June 19, 2019, 09:30:04 PM »
I'm very sorry to read that Laurence. Who did the DCC-fitting for you for these locos.? Douglas at Wickness does all of mine, including the Union Mills ones (which Douglas says convert very well) and always sends me a video, after conversion, showing me the loco. run from slow to fast ahead, stop, then slow to fast reverse on his oval test track. Which DCC controller are you using? I hope that someone with far more knowledge of DCC can help you. Cant Cove is not a typical layout as the trains only trundle to and fro over very short distances. I don't use any sophisticated settings just slow ahead, stop, slow reverse. For me, DCC-fitting is an investment, now, for running trains on my planned future retirement layout which will add Penmayne and the line between it and Cant Cove. DCC-fitting will only get more expensive.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3355 on: June 20, 2019, 08:33:00 AM »
Both locos were converted by Douglas and seemed fine when they arrived.  However, the G2 found a couple of rail joints that it would not cross at low speed.  None of my other locos have a problem at these rail joints.  The J26 worked well for a while, but has now become a problem.  I gave it the IPA treatment, which sorts out other locos, but it hasn't made any difference.  It is not too bad with the acceleration set to zero, but otherwise it is a problem.  I have found acceleration settings cause problems with all locos when there are dirty wheels or track because each time the loco loses the DCC supply it has to start accelerating again from rest and it is the very slow speeds that cause the problems.  I will try giving the J26 a really good work out around the layout to see if that cures the problem.  Once I get to the end of the current operational timetable, I will give all the tracks a good clean again.  When the milk train returns to the loops, I can give all the open track (other than the loops) another good clean before I reach the end of the operational timetable.   It would appear that the combintion of DCC, acceleration, low speed and the length of track (it is over a scale mile from one set of loops to the other) combine together to form a convoluted problem that I will have to keep working away at.  In general, all my other locos are reasonably will behaved.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3356 on: June 20, 2019, 09:43:02 AM »
Many thanks, Laurence.

I can understand how the acceleration characteristic of DCC will require perfect electrical continuity.

I think there is a clue in that the 'J26' ran well at the start (I recall an earlier post when you were pleased with her) but is now giving problems.

I think that a good cleaning of the locomotive might help.  I find that the locomotive needs cleaning more often than the tender with Union Mills models.  Just in case it helps, here is a link to my Poppingham thread concerning another Union Mills 0-6-0 being cleaned.  Her running was getting fairly erratic (poor steaming!) but the 'treatment' as described had her back in tip-top form.

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg567111#msg567111

With all best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3357 on: June 20, 2019, 06:49:51 PM »
I can understand how the acceleration characteristic of DCC will require perfect electrical continuity.

I think there is a clue in that the 'J26' ran well at the start (I recall an earlier post when you were pleased with her) but is now giving problems.

I think that a good cleaning of the locomotive might help.  I find that the locomotive needs cleaning more often than the tender with Union Mills models.  Just in case it helps, here is a link to my Poppingham thread concerning another Union Mills 0-6-0 being cleaned.  Her running was getting fairly erratic (poor steaming!) but the 'treatment' as described had her back in tip-top form.

Thank you John for reiterating your post.  I'll try to do my best.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3358 on: June 20, 2019, 07:04:38 PM »
Today we went to Doncaster, which is once more the home of LNER.  However, we didnít go to look at the trains, but to do some shopping.  Nevertheless, we did see one of the new Northern 331 electric trains parked on a through line in the station.  In addition, we noted that some of Northernís aging 158s have been replaced by 170s.  They still appear to be running 142s and 144s (we went on a 142 and returned on a 144), but they must be past their sell by date by now and I hope weíll see some replacements soon.  Perhaps the new 195s will take over from the 170s and the 170s will replace the 142/4s.

However, as usual, I had time for a Train Shed session before we left.  Today, I concentrated on running the Union Mills J26 around the layout, initially at full speed, which is far too fast for a pick-up goods train.  The idea was to see if the IPA which I administered a few days ago would take effect.  After a few circuits, I reduced its speed to normal but it did have one of two stalls at that speed.  However, it seems a little better that it was yesterday.

While all that was going on, I cut a piece of EPS with my hot wire cutter and chiselled it down into a slope.  I then fixed it to the board with PVA for form a ramp between what will be the farm track and the road (which has yet to be engineered). 

The road surface is very rough at the moment, because slicing at a shallow angle through a section of EPS is too difficult for me to do in a straight line.  However, I will finish it with a layer of plaster bandage, which should make it sufficiently smooth for a farm track.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3359 on: June 20, 2019, 07:31:01 PM »
Hope you get yous locos fixed and the scenics finished

Please Support Us!