!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 217868 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3330 on: June 10, 2019, 08:12:40 PM »
Enjoy the Severn Valley Laurence. I do hope that the weather is kind to you.

We picked our first strawberries (all 2 of them) yesterday and I think that on Sunday (when we have guests staying) we should be able to pick our first crop of new potatoes. We’ll very much look forward to that.  If we are very lucky, we may also get a first tasting of baby carrots.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3331 on: June 11, 2019, 06:28:12 AM »

We picked our first strawberries (all 2 of them) yesterday and I think that on Sunday (when we have guests staying) we should be able to pick our first crop of new potatoes. We’ll very much look forward to that.  If we are very lucky, we may also get a first tasting of baby carrots.
Wow, you are advanced down there in Cornwall.  My first sowing of carrots came to almost nothing and the second are doing well, but they won't be ready for several weeks.  I've gone for maincrop potatoes for blight resistance  since moving here and this year they are very slow.  One hasn't come up at all and two look like very sickly weeds.  I've never had a seed potatoe fail berore, ever.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3332 on: June 11, 2019, 04:43:34 PM »

Wow, you are advanced down there in Cornwall.  My first sowing of carrots came to almost nothing and the second are doing well, but they won't be ready for several weeks.  I've gone for maincrop potatoes for blight resistance  since moving here and this year they are very slow.  One hasn't come up at all and two look like very sickly weeds.  I've never had a seed potatoe fail berore, ever.
It’s the mild climate down here though you wouldn’t know it this week !
Our first early potatoes went in mid March so are virtually ready. Second earlys went in early April with main crops late April with a test single row going in at the very end of May (to see what happens).
We grow our carrots in raised beds covered with fleece. This does two things ie adds just a little warmth and protects against carrot fly.
Runner beans and Broad Beans are doing well though we’ve had limited success this year with French Beans which is a shame as they are a big favourite.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #3333 on: June 11, 2019, 04:48:25 PM »

It’s the mild climate down here though you wouldn’t know it this week !
Our first early potatoes went in mid March so are virtually ready. Second earlys went in early April with main crops late April with a test single row going in at the very end of May (to see what happens).
We grow our carrots in raised beds covered with fleece. This does two things ie adds just a little warmth and protects against carrot fly.
Runner beans and Broad Beans are doing well though we’ve had limited success this year with French Beans which is a shame as they are a big favourite.

Sounds fantastic, my wife focuses on fruit and the plums, peaches, apples, pears (and the rest) are all coming along nicely.  The birds got the gooseberry crop but apart from that its going to be a good season.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3334 on: June 11, 2019, 07:43:17 PM »
Today, we set off for Bromsgrove, where we will stay over a couple of nights to give us a full day at the SVR tomorrow.  It was not as pleasant drive as it could have been because of heavy rain for most of the way.  I didn’t really stop until we reached Redditch.  But we came via our usual, scenic route via Lincoln and the A46 to Warwick, before taking to the back road via Claverdon and Henley-in-Arden.

Before we set off, I had an operating session in the Train Shed.  The first train to arrive, at Platform 4, was 4571 with its single coach from Norton.  That was followed by Ivatt Mogul, 46443, with a four-coach local passenger from Evenbury, originating at Worcester Shrub Hill.  I didn’t film these this morning because they have already been uploaded to YouTube, but I have included the videos I filmed previously.  Here you see 4571 arriving.

It was shortly followed by 46443.

But the main event was the passage of Union Mills G2 49368, which left Aylesbury at 1930 (time, not year) and will eventually reach Coventry Colliery at 0030 in the morning to collect a new train of full wagons, ready to take out in the morning.

I can almost hear the Chuff, CHUFF, Chuff, chuff of the exhaust beat as it passes through the station.  After it had departed, 46443 set of for Kingly, on its way to Aylesbury.

Finally, 4571 left Platform 4, heading for Shipton.

I won’t be able to get back to the Train Shed for a couple of days, but I may be able to post some pictures of the SVR tomorrow, mobile phone and weather permitting.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3335 on: June 12, 2019, 09:42:24 PM »
I wasn’t able to visit the Train Shed today.  However, we did get to visit the Engine House.  On the way we had some adventures.  Please forgive the quality of my mobile phone pictures.  It seems that it was affected by glare, even though the day was very dull.  We left Kidderminster hauled by Class 42, Warship, D821 Greyhound.

Not long after we left Kidderminster, we encountered some poppy fields.

There seemed to be a lot of hectares.

We wondered if the Worcestershire farmers are branching out into opium production, but a little investigation suggests that they might be part of a farm nature reserve where the Worcestershire Wildlife Trust are encouraging native plants and wildlife to return to the fields.

When we arrived at Hampton Loade, 7714, at the head of the train running in the opposite direction stopped outside our window.

It was at the head of a rake of Gresley teak coaches.

We had a brief stay at Bridgnorth before re-boarding D821’s train for Highley.  Once we arrived there, we crossed the footbridge with a fine view of 33108.

Behind 33108, was what appears to be a GTRM Rail tamping machine with the fleet number 73202.  After we crossed the footbridge, we saw a brake van.

Once we entered the Engine House, we saw 46443 that was working the Alesbury and Worcester in 1959 (in the world of Martone Hinmarche, at least).

There was a nice view of the controls of a Manor, where it appears that the driver would have been stationed on the right-hand side of the cab.

Then we boarded a travelling post office that had been part of the train that was held up near Leighton Buzzard in the great train robbery.

They also have a loco that is used to reproduce Thomas the Tank Engine, by painting it blue and adding a face.

On the way back to the station, we observed the water crane.

Nearby, there were two livestock docks, complete with drinking troughs.

We also had a good view of the Highley signal box.

Our return from Highley was behind Panier tank 1501.

When we returned to Kidderminster, we observed that Standard Class 4-6-0 was at the back of the train, so it must have pushed all the way from Bridgnorth.

Once we had alighted from the train, we had a look at the museum, but it does need a lot of curating (if that’s the right word).  We then walked down the road from the station to the Footplate model railway shop but it was closed.  I checked later on the internet, only to find that it is closed on Wednesdays.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3336 on: June 12, 2019, 10:03:25 PM »
Sound like an interesting fun day laurence. Svr fun and informative. Enjoy the trip

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3337 on: June 13, 2019, 07:16:16 PM »
We arrived home safely just before 1300, after another drive through the rain although, thankfully, it was nothing like as heavy as on our drive down on Tuesday.  After we had something to eat, we visited our good friend J Sainsbury and then had a cup of tea.  That meant I could visit the Train Shed again.  I made a couple of errors today, not with the running of the trains, but with the filming.  I have been conscious that there is some glare from the lights in the Train Shed, so I decided to try filming with them turned off.  It all looked OK on the monitor, but the results were much too indistinct.  In addition, I began filming the first sequence with the focus totally wrong, which was only corrected right at the end.  In it you see 6417 arrive at Platform 2 from Kingly with its ‘B’ set.

Fortunately, I will have another chance to reshoot this sequence later, so all is not lost.  Then you see Ditcheat Manor arrive at Platform 3 with a parcels train.

I didn’t film the branch goods, headed by 6713 because I already have a version of that uploaded onto YouTube.  Next you see Ditcheat Manor depart for Aylesbury with the parcels train.

After that, 6417 took its ‘B’ set away to Evenbury, where it will terminate.

I had hoped to size (i.e. add a priming layer of PVA) the mound for Burnham rocks, but I should be able to do that tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3338 on: June 13, 2019, 07:19:44 PM »
Thanks laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3339 on: June 14, 2019, 07:55:13 PM »
Friday is domestic chores day.  I managed most of them before a session in the Train Shed, where I began with an operating session.  I filmed the two snippets of Forthampton Grange and I have used ones shot a few days ago to make up the sequence.  First, 5572 arrived at Platform 4 from Norton with a branch passenger.

Then 80119 brought in a local from Worcester.

After that, Forthampton Grange arrived with the 0729 from Paddington.

After a Brief stop it set off for Worcester.  It will finally arrive at Hereford Barrs Court at 0951.

The 80119 set off for Kingly, eventually destined to arrive at Aylesbury at 0906.

Then 5572 left for Shipton.

After the running session, I sized the raised ground where Burnham Rocks will eventually stand and then added some more plaster bandage to the area that I have been working on.

I’m not sure what to do at the left-hand end of the bandage, because I have to leave room for a farm track to the farmhouse.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3340 on: June 14, 2019, 08:12:32 PM »
laurence

regarding the e left hand side would you not want to blend greenery  with farm land / the farmtrack ?

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3341 on: June 15, 2019, 06:48:18 AM »
laurence
regarding the e left hand side would you not want to blend greenery  with farm land / the farmtrack ?
Yes, I need to decide how far I want the town to extend and where the farm track should start.  It's an ongoing thought process.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3342 on: June 15, 2019, 07:42:59 AM »
morning laurence

as you know plaster cloth is an easy, convenient and fast method for modelling landforms, hill and terrain and i used some for a club layout and found the  plaster-coated cloth creates a durable hard shell. Having allowed to dry hard it accepted paints, pigments and landscape materials.

i was happy with the shape,happy with the shape, paint ed everything with standard PVA and sprinkle builders sharp sand onto the wet PVA .then i let this dry and made some muddy coloured emulsion paint and paint over the sand. this gives you the base colour of the ground surface

sadly no photos as the layout was brought by someone

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3343 on: June 15, 2019, 05:56:47 PM »
We are going to be very busy over the next couple of days.  Celia’s U3A Healthy Aging group are coming on Monday afternoon for a session of garden games.  So there is a lot to do in the garden to make sure things are safe, tidy and presentable.  Because the last few days have been wet, in addition to our trip to the Severn Valley, we are all behind with the garden jobs.  As a result, although we walked into Hessle to the butchers as usual, I forwent my early Train Shed session so that we could get home and start on the garden.

After a quick cup of coffee, I moved gravel sacks and then set about the hedge and shrubs behind the fruit bed.  It wasn’t a very pleasant job because the hedge is Pyracantha, which needs kid gloves (or, in reality, goat skin gloves) to handle it because of its wicked thorns.  That took me up until the end of the morning.  In the afternoon, I cut the grass before, finally, getting down to the Train Shed.

As has been usual over the last few visits, I began with a running session.  I am still filming the bridge end of the station and, in today’s session, it was the turn of 92006 with an UP fish train.  The other runs weren’t filmed today, although I really should have filmed 4571’s departure, because the film ‘in the can’ isn’t very good.  I must make a note to film its next UP departure.  So I have included previous snippets for completeness.  First you see 4571 arrive at Platform 4 with a branch passenger from Shipton.

Then 46443 arrives at Platform 2 from Kingly. 

With both trains in the station, 92006 runs through Platform 3 on its way back to Grimsby for another load of fish.

92006 left Bristol Midland Road goods depot at 1910 and will arrive back at Grimsby docks at 2310.  After that, 46443 set off for Evenbury, on its way to Worcester Shrub Hill.

Finally, 4571 departed from Platform 4 for Norton.

Once all the trains had run, it was time, once more, for some scenic work.  First of all, I coated the top of the raised ground where Burnham Rocks will stand with a layer of basing PVA and applied static grass. 

When I have tried this previously, the static grass has not stuck down.  But this time, I have given the area a priming coat of PVA, so it is a bit of an experiment.  I won’t know the result until I get the mini-vacuum out tomorrow.  For that reason, I have only coated the top for now and left the sides until the top is secure.

Then I applied more plaster bandage to the area I was working on yesterday.

I resolved the farm track issue by adding plaster bandage to the next length of edging, but skewed it so that it reduced to a vertical edge.  You can see it a little better in the next picture.

The road out of Marton Hinmarche will run along the higher level and, eventually, disappear behind the high-level field where the sheep are grazing.  I intend to add plaster bandage all the way along to the section which already has Shaper Sheet plaster on.  The vertical edge will become a brick wall.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3344 on: June 15, 2019, 06:00:37 PM »
looking good

Please Support Us!