!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 217601 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3300 on: May 30, 2019, 07:18:27 PM »
We decided that we ought to go to the caravan in Knaresborough today, just to keep an eye on things.  I managed a session in the Train Shed before we departed.  I began with a running session and recorded the only part of the session not yet on video record.  It was 6417 with its ĎBí Set, emerging from Oakwood Tunnel.

After that, I switched my attention to scenic renovation (if you can call it that) and managed to hack away all the elevated sections of the town, ready for replacement by a level surface.  Hereís the mayhem that resulted from the hacking.

I have run out of 10mm EPS to replace the missing sections, but I have ordered some more (far too much, but thatís how it comes).  I may turn my attention back to Burnham rocks tomorrow.  In the meantime, I have ordered quite a lot of little people.  The first arrived today.

The big job lot is of 100 people, so I may be able to offer a few to other forum members.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3301 on: May 30, 2019, 07:42:50 PM »
Thank you laurence. The beautiful town of knaresborough on the york harrogate line with the station situated on a beautiful viaduct

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3302 on: May 31, 2019, 07:11:19 PM »
Today was weekly jobs day.  I completed most of them before going to the Train Shed, where I had my usual morning running session.  I had already filmed the branch passenger and local mainline passenger so I just filmed Cranmore Hall with its nine-coach train from Paddington, on its way to Hereford Barrs Court. 

However, once the running session was complete, I took the opportunity to film a couple more intermediate passenger movements.  First, you see Cranmore with its return run from Hereford to Paddington.

I was able to do this in conjunction with 45572 Eire that needed another run to be filmed.  That way, I was able to run them through each otherís loops.  Here you see Eire with its ten coaches from Marylebone on its way to Nottingham.

I didnít manage any more scenic work today, but my order of 10mm EPS arrived later, so I am now in a position to carry on with reconstructing the town.  After coffee, I had some more leaflet deliveries, which took my up to dinner time (sorry, lunch).  In the afternoon, there was more heaving of earth, bagging up and storing.  Hopefully, I will be able to do some more scenic work tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3303 on: May 31, 2019, 07:16:09 PM »
Thanks for the videos. Superb and good luck with the scenics

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3304 on: June 01, 2019, 06:22:08 PM »
Saturday is our day for walking into Hessle first thing.  I managed a short session in the Train Shed and ran the next sub-cycle.  Todays little snippet is of Tiverton Castle at the head of the UP Dragon Beach Express, which left Pwllheli at 1510 and is due to arrive at Paddington at 2010.

During our trip to town, I had to go and sign my election expenses form.  Not that I had spent anything, you understand.  But the expenses associated with producing election material, etc, are split between all of the candidates (from out lot, of course) and so I had to sign a claim for £22.82 to recover my portion of the expenses incurred. 

Then it was on with garden work.  I had decided to cut the grass, which was in danger of getting right out of control, but a light shower forced me to divert to help get the washing in.  Then I cleared the lawn (a somewhat fanciful term for our grassy area) of bags of earth, dug from the area that I have bricked over, followed by moving various other things to allow a clear run with the lawnmower. 

After something to eat, I actually cut the grass and then pulled up various bits of wild blackberry that insist on trying to colonise our garden.  Eventually, after a cup of tea, I made it back to the Train Shed.  I filmed the two express trains on their reverse runs.  First you see Royal Scot, 46122 Royal Ulster Rifleman, with the UP South Midlander which left Wolverhampton Low Level at 0800 and is due into Marylebone at 1010.

Then I filmed Tiverton Castle with the DOWN Dragon Beach Express with left Paddington at 0610 and will eventually arrive a Pwllheli at 1110.

After that, I turned my attention to the town area.  Yesterday afternoon, the parcel of 10mm EPS arrived and so I took a piece of it and cut out a section to replace the pieces I had removed on Thursday, using my hot wire cutter.  Each piece is 600mm long, so one piece was sufficient to replace the two 300mm sections that I had removed.

I have yet to stick it down and, also, I would like to get on with the Burnham Rocks area.  The last of my little people arrived today.  The second lot were two loco crews, but this lot is two packs of 100 people for a knock down price.  They appear to be made from coloured plastic and the range of colours is not wonderful.  However, I may find it therapeutic to try painting some of them when I am at a loose end (if only).  I suspect I will need a very fine brush and a powerful magnifier to paint them.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3305 on: June 01, 2019, 06:29:46 PM »
Hi thats £23 useful modelling pounds laurence - and painting people

i used this tutorial to have a start one day when i had flu last year. worth a thought. thanks for your blog !

http://www.gaugemaster.com/patpaint.html

chris

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3306 on: June 02, 2019, 06:34:16 AM »
i used this tutorial to have a start one day when i had flu last year. worth a thought. thanks for your blog !
http://www.gaugemaster.com/patpaint.html
chris
That's a very useful link, Chris.  I read it with interest.  I also downloaded the next page, although he did say that it wasn't much use for anything smaller than '0' gauge.  I'm not even sure about the eye detail for N gauge.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3307 on: June 02, 2019, 06:37:06 AM »
have fun laurence and look forward to tonight's instalment  !! of
the life at Marton Hinmarche

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3308 on: June 02, 2019, 07:23:08 PM »
On the first Sunday in the month, there is a farmersí market in the Humber Bridge car park.  We generally walk there, under the bridge, around 0900.  Today was no exception.  However, I managed a running session in the Train Shed before we set off.  I ran an operating session with both the milk train and the pickup goods returning to their home loops ready for the next days operations.  I had terrible trouble with the Union Mills J26, which stalled on the points complex at the exit from the DOWN loops.  No matter what I tried, it just would not work at all.  I tried giving it several nudges and it just kept stalling.  In the end, I set its acceleration to zero and that did the trick.  Recently, my other Union Mills loco has also stalled on occasions, so I need to look into the problem.

Worse was to follow.  Halfway through the filming of the pickup goods, the J26 stalled yet again.  It stopped on a straight stretch of track, not on a rail joint and each time I retried it, it refused to pass that location, just stopping dead.  Nothing else has ever stopped there.  In the end, I decided to administer the IPA treatment.  First I had to identify the pickup side of the tender, which was fairly easy because the other side is fitted with traction tyres.  I gave the treatment to the tender wheels on the other side and to both sides of the drivers.  It was still reluctant to pass so I cranked it up to full speed and ran a tail chase with the milk train.  That seemed to do the trick.  As you can see in this snippet, with J26, 65761 trundling out of Oakwood Tunnel and through Black Horse Cutting. 

The next snippet is of Class 5, 45206, with the return milk train.

Once I had filmed those, I needed to film the milk train in the opposite direction because I hadnít started filming the snippets when it first ran out of the tunnel, so here it is now.

After the farmersí market, we had coffee and then I set about netting the strawberries.  Yesterday, on the way down to the Train Shed for my afternoon session, I noticed that we had one strawberry that was fairly ripe.  I hid it with some straw and made a note to net the strawberries this morning.  However, when I went out later to do the watering, I found that it had been half eaten, presumably by a blackbird.  I picked it, cleaned and washed it and we had half of half of our first strawberry each.

Once the strawberries were netted, I set about weeding the carrots and parsnips (again).  The weeds are prolific this year, growing much faster than any of the seedlings.  I think the slugs have been eating the seedlings, but leaving the weeds well alone.  I almost finished the first bed before the rain started.  We didnít have heavy rain, but it was sufficient to make my shirt wet, so I gave up until the afternoon.  Then I finished that bed and started on the next, but rain stopped play yet again.  There was another repeat performance and I gave up, but I had completed half of the second bed and the remainder had much less weeds, so I hope to finish that tomorrow.

After a cup of tea, I made another foray down to the Train Shed.  This time, I stuck down the piece of EPS that I had cut to size yesterday.  I had to weigh down one end with my old socket set because it would not lie flat for the PVA to bond.

After that, I set about the Burnham Rocks area with plaster bandage.

I wont give it a second (nor a third) layer because I donít need to iron out the contours any further.  When I made the Black Horse Cutting, I had quite a lot of contouring to do because of its height.  By the time it is painted and covered with static grass, I think it will be ready for the rocks.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3309 on: June 02, 2019, 07:44:43 PM »
thanks laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3310 on: June 03, 2019, 08:14:03 PM »
Normally, Monday is table tennis day.  However, on the first Monday in the month we have a U3A committee meeting, so table tennis was deferred until the afternoon.  Before we went to the committee meeting, I managed to run the remainder of the trains in the directions that had not previously been filmed.  We start with B17 61664, Liverpool, with the 0957 from Worcester Shrub Hill to Norwich Thorpe, scheduled to arrive at 1253.

Then, Forthampton Grange made its way through Black Horse Cutting with the 0729 from Paddington, scheduled to arrive at Hereford Barrs Court at 0951.

I then filmed Panier Tank 6417 with its ĎBí set, making its way from Marton Hinmarche to Evenbury, where it will terminate.

Finally, I filmed Union Mills G2, 49368, chugging along with the coal train back to Coventry Colliery to collect another load of coal for tomorrowís run.

After we returned from table tennis, we had a cup of tea and then I had another session in the Train Shed.  This time I concentrated on scenic work.  I extended the level base from the town right along to the far end of the station board.

Here you can see the far end in a bit more detail.

Then I decided that I would need to bridge the gap between the existing scenery and the newly added section, so I cut and inserted a couple of wedge shaped pieces of EPS into the small gap between them.

That will enable me to patch it all over with plaster bandage prior to painting and the addition of static grass.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3311 on: June 03, 2019, 08:22:15 PM »
Thanks for the videos laurence. Hope the scenery modelling is as much therapeutic as the rest of the day has been. Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3312 on: June 04, 2019, 06:25:52 PM »
Today was our usual Tuesday trip to the gym, followed by a visit to J Sainsbury.  Before we went I had a running session in the Train Shed and filmed some snippets.  I have now completed the filming of the Down leg board and have started on the bridge end of the station board.  The idea, in the end is to have a complete set of snippets that I can stitch together into a complete video (or set of videos).  Here is 5572 arriving at Platform 4..

The you see 80119 arriving at Platform 2.

B17, Liverpool arrives at Platform 3.

The first to depart is 61664, on its way to Norwich.

Then 80119 sets of for Evenbury.

Finally, 5572 departs for Norton.

I was unable to make a second visit because, now Iím on the council, the first Tuesday and Wednesday of the month are committee meetings.  So the scenic development will have to wait a couple of days.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3313 on: June 04, 2019, 06:29:31 PM »
look forward to the scenic developments laurence - time permitting

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3314 on: June 05, 2019, 06:33:15 PM »
Today was another gym day and, once again, I managed a filming session in the Train Shed before we went.  First you see 4571 arrive from Norton with its single coach.

Then Ivatt Mogul 46443 brings in a local from Evenbury.

While both trains are standing in the station, Tiverton Castle thunders through with the DOWN Dragon Beach Express.

Later, 46443 departs for Kingly, on its way to Aylesbury.

Finally, 4571 sets off for Shipton.

I had to forego this afternoonís Train Shed session because I had another council committee meeting this evening.  Fortunately, itís only once a month.  I shanít get much done tomorrow afternoon either, because we have the (again monthly) U3A opera appreciation group here.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £69.00
Below Goal: £31.00
Site Currency: GBP
69%