!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 181968 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3255 on: May 15, 2019, 08:25:20 PM »
Today was another gym day and I had my usual early morning session in the Train Shed.  I began with a short running session.  First to arrive in the station was the branch goods from Norton, pulling up at the goods end of platform 4.  Iím sorry the picture quality is not very good, but the platform slabs show up well.

Then Ditcheat Manor arrived at Platform 3 with a parcels train from Worcester.

The last arrival was Union Mills J26, 65761, with the pickup goods which slowly made its way into the goods depot.

After the branch goods and the parcels train had left the station and made their way to their final destinations, I fixed the hedging into place.

In the afternoon, there was quite a lot of gardening to do, including digging up the last of the tough old grass clumps, followed by weeding the parsnip seedlings.  I think weeding seedlings is often described therapeutic.  There are other descriptions.  But, when I had finished, I could definitely see more parsnip seedlings.  Then, after a cup of tea, I had a final session in the Train Shed.

If you think weeding parsnips is therapeutic, you should try making fences.  However, I did make a few more and there are just four more to go before I have finished the current batch.

I have a busy day tomorrow, but Iíll try to get some Train Shed time , if possible.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3256 on: May 15, 2019, 09:05:08 PM »
Thank you laurence for some more updates superb backscene and photos
blue / grey era diesels / electrics and suitable stock

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3257 on: May 16, 2019, 08:27:56 PM »
Today we were hosting the U3A Opera Appreciation Group and tomorrow, we intend to go shopping for various bits and pieces.  So I needed to get on with my weekly tasks this morning.  But I did manage to fit in a Train Shed session.  I had another running session, centred on B17, 61664 Liverpool, which arrived at Platform 3 from Worcester Shrub Hill with a train destined, eventually, for Norwich Thorpe.

Before it arrived, Small Prairie 5572 coasted into Platform 4, followed by Standard 2 6 4T, 80119, which glided into Platform 2 with a Train from Aylesbury, calling at Longbury and Kingly.  While the three trains were waiting to depart, Panier Tank 6713 ran around the branch goods in the Shipton run-around.  Then 61664 was off to Aylesbury and the other trains departed.

After the running session, I made a few more fences.  Iíve nearly finished making them now and the next task will be to paint them.

This afternoon my BR Western Region 1955 Winter timetable arrived.  I was pleased to see the 1500 (3pm) from Snow Hill recorded as I remember it, leaving Chester General at 1223 and calling at Wrexham General, Ruabon, Gobowen, Shrewsbury, Wellington and Wolverhampton Low Level.  It would appear that some third class carriages were detached at Gobowen and taken on to Oswestry, while others were forwarded from Oswestry and attached to the rear of the train at Gobowen.  The train went on from Snow Hill to Leamington Spa and Banbury and then was non-stop to Paddington via Bicester North.

I remember it as a twenty-four coach train headed by a King and piloted by a Hall.  I used to take it from Snow Hill to Leamington Spa General.  It took 24 minutes to cover the 23ľ miles between Snow Hill and Leamington, so it was really shifting, taking into account acceleration and deceleration.  It is indicated in the timetable as RC (restaurant car) and TC (through carriages) from Birkenhead to Paddington.  However, I think that beyond Chester, the RA was limited to small locos, so the carriages may have been brought from Birkenhead with passengers on board and marshalled into the train at Chester.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3258 on: May 17, 2019, 07:57:36 PM »
Today we had a lot to do.  Partly because it has been a very bad year for germination.  Celia planted 24 sweetcorn and only one has germinated.  We have also had trouble with the beans.  However, before we went out I had time for an operating session in the Train Shed.  Before that, I took a picture of the new timetable.  I have now realised why the line from Chester to Birkenhead is not shown in the GWR route classification.  It appears that it could have been part of the London Midland region.  So I have sent for a 1955 timetable for the London Midland region.  We will shortly be able to find out the truth of the matter.  Hereís a picture of the Western Region timetable.

Todayís operating session centred on ponderous progress of the Union Mills Bowen-Cooke G2, which started in Aylesbury and is headed for Coventry.  It will take it several hours to reach Coventry Colliery.  I took a picture of it plodding through the station but, unfortunately, it was badly out of focus and so I havenít included it here. 

In the afternoon, there were more gardening tasks and then, after a cup of tea, I had another short session in the train shed.  I brought out 2-8-0 3846 for a workout and, after a bit of a sticky start (it hadnít run for several weeks) it ran OK, but the pony truck still derailed at one set of trailing points.  I began by refitting the front coupling in case its removal was the cause, but to no effect.

While it was running around, I finished making all the fencing and began to paint the finished products.  However, this will take some time because I have a lot to paint and they all need to be painted on both sides because the fences will not sit against the backscene. 
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3259 on: May 17, 2019, 08:09:21 PM »
hi laurence

indeed the line from Chester to Birkenhead.today, together with the line from Hooton to Ellesmere Port (on the Helsby branch of the Birkenhead Railway), now form part of the Wirral Line of the Merseyrail network. the lms area would have taken over from gwr around wrexham. this may help

http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/?atk=592

https://britishrailwaybooks.co.uk/wtt/lmregion/br31006-4-d-190955.php

thank you for the nightly blogspot
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:13:04 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3260 on: May 18, 2019, 06:47:05 AM »
hi laurence

indeed the line from Chester to Birkenhead.today, together with the line from Hooton to Ellesmere Port (on the Helsby branch of the Birkenhead Railway), now form part of the Wirral Line of the Merseyrail network. the lms area would have taken over from gwr around wrexham. this may help

http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/?atk=592

https://britishrailwaybooks.co.uk/wtt/lmregion/br31006-4-d-190955.php

thank you for the nightly blogspot
Thanks for the links.  :beers:  I think the LMR timetable will confirm my suspicions.  It's nice to have two 1955 passenger timetables anyway.  Takes me back a bit.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3261 on: May 18, 2019, 06:57:25 AM »
Welcome laurence. Just after thoughts. Happy days perusing timetable schedules

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3262 on: May 18, 2019, 08:58:10 AM »
Thanks for the updates Laurence, the blending of backscene to layout scenics is looking spot on, good job! 

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3263 on: May 18, 2019, 07:50:52 PM »
Today, we were back to a normal Saturday, walking into Hessle to the butchers.  I didnít make an early visit to the Train Shed because the weather looked not at all settled and we thought it would be best to get into town and back before there was any deterioration in the situation.  In the end, no rain arrived, but it was a bit of a cold, dreary day.

After we returned we had coffee and then I visited the Train Shed.  For the last couple of days, I have been struggling with 3846 trying to get it to run without the pony truck derailing.  It seems to derail on trailing points.  Today, I managed to narrow it down to the place where the point blade changes from a normal rail cross-section to a thin section that mates with the stock rail.  I tried fiddling with the back-to-back, using a pair of small snipe-nosed pliers, first slightly reducing the back-to-back and then increasing it a little.  However, nothing I did made any difference to the derailing.  I bought it new, two and a half years ago and it has done this pretty well ever since it was new.  I am currently using the Union Mills G2 as a replacement, but it would be good to get it going again.  However, for now, I have given up.

While all that was going on, I continued with fence painting.  However, I have not got very far with it.  Perhaps I will make more progress now that Iím not preoccupied with 3846.

I didnít have a running session today and I never made it back to the Train Shed because I had quite a lot to do in the garage.  We still have over 100 removal boxes left, stowed in the eaves of the garage roof.  We have now identified someone who will take most of them off our hands and so I spent a merry hour or two, ferreting them out of the eaves and down onto the floor.  Then I stacked them ready for collection and took the opportunity to put some of the boxes of purchased goods up in their place. 

I also had a great struggle with a sheet of 12mm ply, 2400mm X 1200mm, because it was left over from the sitting room flooring project and was causing a problem accessing the racking in the garage.  I donít know if you have ever tried to manipulate a piece of 12mm ply of those dimensions, but it is tricky, to say the least.  I decided that I would stow it up in the eaves and so I managed to up end it and began to feed it up between two of the joists.  If that wasnít bad enough, when I got it so far, there was the problem of the angle between the top and bottom of adjoining joists.  It took a lot of heaving and persuading to finally get it on top of the joists.

After that, I decided against another trip to the Train Shed, although there were a couple of garden jobs that needed to be done.  Then I concentrated on the timetable.  Using my recently purchased 1955 Western Region timetable, I tried to recreate something that resembled the original, but for the fictitious Marton Hinmarche.  I have included extra lines at the top of the timetable because I have included the goods services as well as passenger services.  I have also indicated which locos will haul each train.

I am quite pleased with the result for the UP timetable.  I now need to try to create a DOWN timetable to match it.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3264 on: May 18, 2019, 08:08:28 PM »
laurence

the timetable looks very well drawn up

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3265 on: May 19, 2019, 12:46:54 PM »
That timetable is textbook stuff Laurence  :thumbsup:

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3266 on: May 19, 2019, 08:10:39 PM »
Today, I visited the Train Shed before setting about digging up plants.  I treated myself to a short running session and then painted the other side of the fences that I began painting yesterday.  I still have a lot to start painting, but I hope to be able to make some progress tomorrow.  In the meantime, hereís the last of the video sequences that I filmed before we went to Kingís Lynn.

Todayís little video is the last of the sequence.  In it, you will see 65761 gradually make its way through Marton Hinmarche on its way back to Aylesbury with the pickup goods.  As it passes through the station, 45206 passes in the opposite direction, on its way back to Worcester with the empty milk train.  First, 6713 arrives at the goods end of Platform 4 with the branch goods from Norton.  Once the other trains have left the station, 6713 takes the branch goods on to Shipton, ready for an overnight rest.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3267 on: May 19, 2019, 08:16:07 PM »
hi laurence

thank you for the lovely piece of music accompanying your evening video and the backscene is amazing. to see such realistic running speedsis pleasnt. chris

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3268 on: May 20, 2019, 08:50:46 PM »
Today, we are fully back to normal (well nearly, see later).  So it was table tennis this morning with a short running session in the Train shed before we went.  This time it was the turn of 45572, Eire, to bring in the Nottingham train that originated from Marylebone.  It actually gave me a problem because when it approached the station, I noticed that only first three (first class) coaches were attached to the loco.  On checking the UP loops, I observed that the rear seven coaches had become uncoupled.  So I had to back the train back into the UP loops to recouple the rest of the train (fortunately not all the way back to Marylebone!). 

The problem was that the leading coupling on the buffet car had dropped and would not reconnect with the rear coupling of the third coach.  I reversed the buffet car, but the problem persisted.  So I re-checked the bogie of the third coach and, after that, it all worked OK and I was able to run it into Platform 2.  Before it arrived, 5572 had brought its two coaches into Platform 4 from Norton and 80119 had stopped at Platform 3.  After 6713 had run around the branch goods, Eire set off towards its next stop at Leamington Spa.  Hereís a glimpse of it leaving Platform 2.

When all the passenger trains had left, 45206 was left on its own at the head of the Milk Train in the milk depot, waiting for the milk tanks to be filled.

Although I said we were back to normal today, I had to go out early this evening for a pre-Council meeting, which is an unofficial meeting of our group of Councillors, prior to the Council meeting proper tomorrow evening.  In the meantime, I have been working away on my timetable.  I have now received a copy of the London Midland regional timetable for the same period as the Western Region one, September 1955 to June 1966.  I can see from it that there cannot have been a change of loco at Chester, nor indeed anywhere else, for the train that left Snow Hill at 1500, because all of the stops were too short.  The stop at Chester was eight minutes as was the stop at Shrewsbury.  Also, the train was TC and RC all the way from Birkenhead, with two restaurant cars separated by a kitchen car.  So it is likely that the whole train originated in Birkenhead.  Iím not sure whether eight minutes would have been long enough for the Hall to back up to the front of the King and be coupled up.

With the Council meeting tomorrow, I may not be able to continue fence painting until Wednesday.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3269 on: May 20, 2019, 09:03:59 PM »
thanks for that laurence on the history, the birkenhead service