!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 217193 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3225 on: May 04, 2019, 06:37:12 PM »
Today has been a busy day getting the sitting room back to rights.  So it was furniture moving and replacing curtain poles etc.  After that, I had curtains to put up and fences to mend.  The curtains was quite a big job because we had bought new ones and so I had to fiddle with the pleats, add hooks, adjust the number of curtain rings etc.  But in the end, I managed to get everything done.  Then it was time for a cup of tea.  After that, I did manage a short session in the Train Shed.  After the neglect of the Train Shed I thought I would have some fences to mend but, in the event, I started making the next lot of fences.

As you can see, I didnít get very far, but I did take the opportunity to take some photos of locomotives at rest in their loops.  So there was no problem with missing crews because they had all gone home.  Hereís Tiverton Castle, which normally hauls the Dragon Beach Express that runs between Paddington and Pwllheli.

Then there was Forthampton Grange, that operates the service between Hereford Barrs Court and Paddington.

Finally, hereís a picture of Jubilee Class 45572, Eire, that operates the service between Nottingham and London Marylebone via Coventry and the Aylesbury and Worcester.

Tomorrow, there is still some work to finish in the sitting room and, if itís fine, there will be gardening as well.  But Iíll try to press on with the fencing.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3226 on: May 04, 2019, 06:38:15 PM »
Thank you for your congratulations, not that they are really deserved.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3227 on: May 04, 2019, 06:40:18 PM »
love the photo of ' Tiverton Castle ' on the Cambrian Coast Express

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3228 on: May 05, 2019, 08:23:13 PM »
Iím pleased to be able to announce that the sitting room project is now complete.  Today, we began by visiting the farmers market to buy some cheese and plants for Celiaís hanging baskets.  Then I did a bit of work on the new Ďrealí timetable (as opposed to the operational timetable).  Just for clarity, the real timetable is the one which shows every train, where it started from and its final destination, together with the intermediate stops, indicating the arrival or departure times.  The operational timetable, on the other hand, shows what buttons to press on the controller to get the trains around the layout.

After coffee, it was on with the sitting room, putting up mirrors and pictures.  I also had some work to do on the rug non-slip underlays.  By early afternoon, I had completed everything, but there were still other jobs outstanding.  After a cup of tea, I made it down to the Train Shed.  I made some more fences, but I forgot to cut the running rails on the final one of the day, so I simply made a double length section instead.

After that, I thought I would take some more pictures of locos in the storage loops.  Hereís Rebuilt Scot 46122 Royal Ulster Rifleman that hauls the South Midlander which runs between Marylebone and Wolverhampton Low Level via the Aylesbury and Worcester, non-stop at Marton Hinmarche.

Then here is B17 61664 Liverpool, that hauls the train from Norwich to Worcester, calling at Marton Hinmarche.

Finally, we have Mofified Hall, 4915 Cranmore Hall, which hauls one of the trains the runs between Paddington and Hereford Barrs Cours, calling at Marton Hinmarche.

By now, after the track cleaning and fencing construction, I was getting withdrawal symptoms, so I ran the first sub-cycle of the operational timetable.  This centred on 4915 Cranmore Hall with the 0615 from Hereford Barrs Court, wit support from 80119 and 5572 on the branch.  Everything ran really well.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3229 on: May 05, 2019, 08:34:41 PM »
we are pleased the house is developing, your blogspots make fabuluous tea time reading, laurence.hope celia is well and thank you for those as ever,superb photos

Online dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3230 on: May 05, 2019, 08:55:37 PM »
Some nice pictures as usual Laurence. Bet you are glad the sitting room is finished. One thing is puzling me though, why does Celia want to put cheese in her hanging baskets?  :confused2:

Oh ..... I see.  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3231 on: May 06, 2019, 07:05:30 PM »
Weíre going off to Kings Lynn for a few days on Wednesday.  So this morning was spent clearing up all those domestic chores that have been neglected or skimped during the last couple of weeks or so.  In particular, the car had a good check over, which is something I do every week normally, but I also changed a faulty number plate lamp.  In the garden, I had to fix the netting onto the cabbage bed because some of the cabbage plants have been planted out and it is important to ensure that no butterflies or moths get in to lay their eggs.  The netting also keeps off the wood pigeons, which are partial to decimating any cabbage plants if they get the chance.

After coffee, I began weeding the raised beds.  The root beds with parsnips and carrots were becoming really overgrown with weeds.  If you think thinning carrots is a pain, weeding emerging plants that are overgrown is even worse. 

It has been a strange year so far.  Nothing, or at least very little, is doing well (apart from the weeds).  The beans that Celia planted in pots have been (sorry!) very disappointing and some have failed completely.  So we have had to do some direct sowing in the empty spaces.  Iím pleased to be able to report that over half of the potatoes have now emerged above ground and every row of carrots has some carrots showing.  The parsnips are normally slower, but over half the rows have at least one parsnip showing now.  The real disappointment has been the sweetcorn.  Celia planted 24 in pots.  Only one has come up.  When we get back from Kings Lynn, we will have to see if we can buy some seedlings to plant out.

Eventually, after the obligatory cup of tea, I made it down to the Train Shed.  I began by taking some of the 3mm Plasticard up to the garage and chopping of a dozen strips for fence posts.

Each strip is enough for four or five fence posts, so each will make a run of fencing.  Then, with the thought of no Train Shed for a few days, I ran the next sub-cycle.  Hereís 5041 Tiverton Castle roaring into the station under the London Road Bridge.  It left London Paddington at 0745 and will eventually arrive at Pwllheli at midday.  It will be turned and leave Pwllheli at 1400, arriving back at Paddington at 1815. 

Waiting patiently at Platform 3 was Ivatt Mogul 46443 with a four coach train from Worcester to Aylesbury.

On the branch, at Platform 4, Small Prairie 4571 waited with its single coach from Norton, ready to set off for Shipton once given Right Away.

I still have some videos Ďin the caní so I will be able to post a new video each day that we are away.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3232 on: May 06, 2019, 07:15:59 PM »
seriously looking good laurence. enjoy king's lynn

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3233 on: May 06, 2019, 07:30:34 PM »
Looking good Laurence.
Like you , we have had mixed results gardening wise this year. Rarely, for us, we had a slight frost on Sunday evening which caused a slight panic with the emerging potatoes. Luckily, I was able to earth them up just a bit more to ensure they were all covered. Bean wise we have virtually 100% germination but the three long rows of parsnips have produced zero germination to date.

Anyway, back to your photos. I really like the picture of Tiverton Castle emerging from under the road bridge.
My attention however is drawn to the siding going off to the left. Is it a trick of the camera or does that rail joint look dodgy?
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3234 on: May 06, 2019, 08:12:31 PM »
These low camera angle photographs are especially good, Laurence.

Thank you very much.

I hope you both have a lovely time in Lynn.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3235 on: May 07, 2019, 07:32:23 AM »
My attention however is drawn to the siding going off to the left. Is it a trick of the camera or does that rail joint look dodgy?
It's actually the crossover from the branch to the UP main.  The camera really exagerates the angle at the joint.  It doesn't cause any running problems, but it is an example of how Copydex creep has occured where I have bent a stretch of track into a curve close to a track joint.  There are several examples of that on the layout.  Next time, I will try to avoid curves close to track joints and, where they are unavoidable, I will use track pins to prevent any creep.

A good trick if you wake up to a frost is to water the shoots (using cold water).  It will be a few degrees warmer than the surrounding air and prevent frost damage.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3236 on: May 07, 2019, 07:27:49 PM »
Today was our last before a few days break.  It began with a trip to J Sainsbury, where we filled up with petrol to the gunnels to, at least, get us there.  After a loft expedition, we had coffee and then I had several calls to make, including making my councillorís declaration at the Town Hall.  Then it was on with the gardening.

The espaliers required quite a bit of attention.  They are disappointing this year.  The Sunset apples, which gave a good crop last year have had no blossom at all.  The Bramley still has the only four blossom heads it spawned although the greengage has a few nascent fruit forming.  After that, I tried to install a (rather cheap) watering system in the greenhouse, but I think it was too cheap and I havenít been able to get it working satisfactorily.  I think I will have to invest in something slightly up-market.

After a cup of tea, I managed another short session in the Train Shed.  I had to say goodbye to all the trains for a few days, but I began with a little bit of running.  Hereís 6713 at the head of the branch goods, arriving from Shipton at Platform 4.

After that, Ditcheat Manor arrived at Platform 2 with the parcels train that plies between Aylesbury and Worcester.

Then 45206 brought in the milk train from Worcester.  Here you can see it crossing the double crossover from the UP main, across the branch and into the platform of Marton Creamery.

After the running session, I took a picture of the crossover that Martin had remarked on yesterday.  You can see that there is a kink in the alignment, which wasnít there when I originally laid the track, but it is nothing like as bad as it looked in yesterdayís photo.

Finally, I set about cutting some fence posts for the next set of fences.

Tomorrow, I will post another video and, perhaps, bring you some more news from the back story.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3237 on: May 07, 2019, 08:16:20 PM »
Thanks for those latest photographs Laurence.
I didnít mean yesterdayís post as a criticism but just wanted topoint out something that might have been a potential problem. However, Iím glad that it isnít a serious fault.
Enjoy your trip to tomorrow.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3238 on: May 07, 2019, 09:44:51 PM »
thanks for todays'blogspot and the photos. hope the council meeting went okay and sfae travelling

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3239 on: May 08, 2019, 07:55:36 PM »
You may recall Gene Kelly singing in the pouring rain.  Well, today I was driving in the pouring rain.  All the way.  100 miles might not be too far to drive in more clement weather, but 100 miles in the driving rain, well, that is a bit of a handful.  Now I know why they call it driving rain.  But we arrived safely in the end.  It was bit of a turnaround from the usual state of affairs.  Over recent years, we have made the outward journey in good weather and had rain on the homeward journey.  But not rain like todayís!  This is the hotel where we are ensconced at the moment.  It did stop briefly at about 1730 and we got a little fresh and I took the picture on my phone.

I had to use quite loud music for todayís video because, when I filmed it, the rain was pouring down and making a lot of background noise on the Train Shed roof.  That must have been a precursor to todayís journey.  But here it is anyway.

Todayís little video is fairly unremarkable.  It shows run-of-the-mill train operations at Marton Hinmarche.  First, you see the branch goods behind 6713 making its way from Shipton to Platform 4.  Then the little very local train that runs between Kingly Junction and Evenbury arrives at Platform 2 with its ĎBí set behind 6417.  The biggest train of the sequence is the parcels train behind Ditcheat Manor, which arrives from Worcester at Platform 3.  We see 4571 run around its single coach in the Shipton run-around before Ditcheat Manor heads off to Aylesbury.  When it is underway, 6417 departs for Evenbury before, finally, the branch goods leaves for Norton.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66%