!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 255663 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3150 on: March 31, 2019, 07:54:26 PM »
My sore throat became a lot worse during the night, but I seem to have been getting a bit better as the day has gone on.  Of course, the clocks went forward last night which meant that, although I had a bit of a lie-in, I still got up earlier than yesterday (in yesterdayís time).  However, we did go for a walk after breakfast and we went to try out our favourite riverside walk now it has been reopened at long last.  When we returned we had coffee and I then managed a session in the Train Shed, where I filmed the next sub-cycle.  After that, I did some more editing and I now have two videos completed plus todayís Ďin the caní, so to speak.

In the afternoon, I had to get out the hosepipes and do some watering.  Now, those of you in the west may have experienced more rain that we have and so may not appreciate how dry it has been here.  The official definition of a desert is an annual rainfall of less the 250mm, which is a little over 20mm per month.  In the first three months of this year, we have had 39mm of rain, which equates to a monthly average of 13mm, considerably less than desert conditions.  Fortunately, in the Winter, ET is normally low (ET stands for evapotranspiration, not phone home) but, nevertheless, the ground is still very dry.  I want to start planting root crops in a week or so and the fruit trees are coming into leaf and blossom, so something had to be done.  I also filled up the ponds, which were getting quite low.

Later, after a cup of tea, I made another visit to the train shed.  I placed a piece of hedge and the five-bar gate on the layout to see what they effect would be with the fence. 

I decided that the fence needed a third coat of acrylic and I also gave the five-bar gate its first coat.

Then I started on cutting more hedging, which I hope to complete tomorrow.  Once done, I returned to upload the next little video, Sub-cycle 5c.

I hope these little videos are giving a flavour of what I see when operating the controls.  I show the start up sequences because I see monitor them to ensure that things are running correctly, but, apart from the terminal run of the branch trains, once the trains are back in the tunnel at the end of their runs, I set the speed to zero and donít need to look at them again.  However, with the branch trains, I need to follow them to achieve uncoupling and move the loco into the run-around headshunt.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3151 on: April 01, 2019, 07:50:51 PM »
This morning we had a committee meeting, but I had time, beforehand, to make my early visit to the Train Shed.  I filmed the next timetable sequence (6c) and then thought I would try out my old Olympus camera for still shots.  I have become very dissatisfied with my Lumix because it only stops down to f8 and so it is impossible to get any depth of focus.  Here are a couple of shots using the 27-year old Olympus.  The first is a shot of the station with the parcels train at Platform 3 and the branch goods at Platform 4.

I think you will agree that the depth of focus is much better and the whole scene is in focus.  Hereís another shot in the opposite direction, after the trains had gone.

In the afternoon, we played table tennis, although we had a slightly shortened session on account of my cold.  After a cup of tea, I returned to the Train Shed and fitted the fencing into place.  First, I tried using Speedbond PVA, but it didnít work too well.  Then I tried using Humbrol Liquid Poly on the bottoms of the fence posts, which seemed to work better.  I suspect the static grass is some sort of plastic, which is affected by the Liquid Poly.  Hereís the total fence in place.

I still need to do a little touching up in places, but the overall effect looks quite good to me.  Then I gave the five-bar gate another coat of acrylic, then proceeded to makes some hedging.  In the end, I was able to fix the hedging in place, this time using Speedbond and then fit the five-bar gate in place.

When I returned from the Train Shed, I uploaded the next video.

Tomorrow, itís more of the same, with additional trackside fencing required
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline andy-sf

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3152 on: April 01, 2019, 08:18:48 PM »
The fencing and hedges look fantastic, Laurence. And they compliment the back scenes really well. Great job.

- Andy

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3153 on: April 01, 2019, 08:22:34 PM »
Yes Laurence, the fencing loks really good.

Now, Iíve been looking at those green chippings as in the third photographs for a few weeks now. What are they please?

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3154 on: April 02, 2019, 06:30:27 AM »
Yes Laurence, the fencing loks really good.

Now, Iíve been looking at those green chippings as in the third photographs for a few weeks now. What are they please?

Martin
At the moment, on the layout, there're called Burnham Rocks.  I can't remember where I bought them, I think it might have been the Tiger shop.  I seem to remember they were for some sort of decorative craft function.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #3155 on: April 02, 2019, 07:00:29 AM »
Nice photos, Laurence.

Shame you can't stop your current kit down.

Olympus cameras were a long-term favourite of mine. I had several including an OM10 which had fabulous optics (for the time) but the electronics sadly didn't last.

Dave G

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3156 on: April 02, 2019, 05:48:33 PM »
Today was a gym day and I made my usual early morning foray down to the Train Shed for a filming session.  I filmed the next sequence (7a).  While I was there, I looked out the stones that Martin enquired about and took a picture of them.

The large ones are, I think, made of wood and painted to look like stone.  The small slate-like ones really are stone.

We had some rain today (hurrah), all 1.8mm of it.  That made it a bit wet to do much in the garden, although I did fill Celiaís compost trays again because she is sowing beans and peas.  I didnít spend too much time outside because my cough is becoming a real irritation.  However, I did get down to the Train Shed again and began work on the next section of fencing.  I havenít begun painting it yet, but I placed it loosely in position to see how it would fit.

Thereís a lot still to be done on the scenic work, what with static grass, hedges and fences.  I havenít even thought about developing the town yet.  I suppose I will have to make some decisions soon about where everything is going to be situated.  But I did upload the next completed video (6b).

If my cough persists tomorrow, I may give the gym a miss.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 08:26:11 PM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3157 on: April 02, 2019, 07:42:51 PM »
I have found an error in the latest video posted on YouTube.  I have corrected it, but there is another, which I am in the course of correcting now.

The error is now corrected.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 08:28:34 PM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #3158 on: April 02, 2019, 08:54:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing the videos Laurence. Looks like your layout runs very well. I smile when I see your fiddle yards. They have reached a wonderful point where signs of previous permanent (or not so permanent) way can be seen. :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3159 on: April 03, 2019, 06:32:43 AM »
Thanks for sharing the videos Laurence. Looks like your layout runs very well. I smile when I see your fiddle yards. They have reached a wonderful point where signs of previous permanent (or not so permanent) way can be seen. :thumbsup:
That's because, when I first laid the track, I laid the curves too close together, which caused problems.  I have had to modify the tracks several times to make sure that everything runs without clashing, particularly as I changed trains around to accommodate increased running.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3160 on: April 03, 2019, 07:09:22 PM »
Last night my cough took a turn for the worse.  As a result, I decided that I would give the gym a miss today (a gym slip?) and Celia went off to her aqua-fit class on her own.  I didnít really feel like going to the Train Shed this morning, so I had an easy time and took some ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation in my sinuses and, later I took some Broncho Stop to ease the feeling of a stick poking down inside my chest.  However, in the afternoon, after a cup of tea, I did go down to the Train Shed to do some filming.

I filmed Sub-cycle 7b, but there were quite a few hiccups.  First, 4571 stopped on its exit from the Norton run-around, although it was fine after that.  Then 46443 was very reluctant to start from the DOWN loops and again when I tried to start it from Platform 3.  Finally, 5572 refused to start to reconnect to its train after its run-around at Norton.  But, apart from that, everything was fine.

Then I thought I would start painting the fencing that I made yesterday.

I used Humbrol matt enamel and it seemed to go on much better than the acrylics I used last time.  I have to finish the front side of the fence sections, but also the backs, because it is not against the backscene like the first run of fencing.

During the day, I completed the editing of the sequence that I shot yesterday and then uploaded the next video to YouTube.

I hope I feel a bit better tomorrow because we had planned to visit the caravan at Knaresborough.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3161 on: April 03, 2019, 07:46:09 PM »
Hello Chums,

John here; imposing myself in Laurence's thread.

Laurence's posts are very much 'warts and all' and his honesty is appreciated, but I think that this film is fantastic.  What an absolutely, splendidly spiffing model railway.  Perfick running!

Not that I'm biased, of course, but the sequence of the 'J26' taking its train over the crossover is really, really good.  It's a Union Mills locomotive, of course!  And I think the 'nice tune'* is better than 'chuffing' sound effects, which generally leave me distinctly unchuffed.

I was the fourth person to see the film.  Roll up, roll up, chums; it's really good!

* Ack. Sir Thomas Beecham.

Laurence,

Congratulations on and thank you for such a splendid post.  What was the music - it's on the tip of my ear?  And I hope you are feeling much better tomorrow.

Toodle-pip.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3162 on: April 03, 2019, 07:58:46 PM »
What was the music - it's on the tip of my ear? 
It's the first movement of Hayden's Clock Symphony (No. 101 in D Major for the technically minded).  You'll hear the clock bit on the next video.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #3163 on: April 04, 2019, 01:13:52 AM »
I do enjoy your excellent videos Laurence. I have to share this with you because you just MIGHT become ultimately responsible for kicking me out of my malaise with regards to actually starting a layout. When your film ended the screen filled with little boxes showing various other videos on YouTube. One was a link to a tour of a huge HO American layout. That's not what I am contemplating but I then started watching some films on US Logging Layouts. A little seed was sown and I am wondering if such a theme might become a layout. Short trains, tight curves and steep -sided valleys would make for a compact but interesting plan. I have taken some tentative initial steps and, maybe, that little seed might grow into a fully-fledged Pine Tree.

Hopefully, some Lumberjack won't come and saw it down and cart it away behind a 2 Truck Shay or Climax. Any thoughts on this?

I do hope your symptoms resolve soonest.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 06:10:31 AM by chrispearce »
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3164 on: April 04, 2019, 06:56:50 AM »
Thanks for the complement, Chris.  I hope you do get started soon.  All you need is a small baseboard and a bit of track.  One loco plus a few wagons and you are away.  You don't need to fix the track down permanently - you could just experiment and see where it gets you.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108%