!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 308962 times)

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3105 on: March 12, 2019, 07:24:05 PM »
Iíve had great fun today.  Of course, today was a day for going to the gym.  But, as usual, I managed a good session in the Train Shed before we went.  I have decided that, after my failure to convey the operatorís perspective of the timetable operations using my Specs Cam, I would try to make a composite video of operations.  So I started by making a video of me, pointing to all the lines on the operational timetable for Cycle 1 and then went on to try to film the setting of the controller for all those timetable operations.  However, I failed although, by the end of the session, I had managed to set up the camera tripod in a position that I would be able to use for the controller settings.

The weather was not conducive to garden work today.  There was far too much rain and, even when the rain had abated, everything was much too wet.  So I did get another session in the Train Shed.  Iím afraid I donít have anything to show for my labours at the moment, but I am working on the editing.  After the first session filming the operational timetable, I managed to film all the controller settings.  When I had finished that, I had to return all the trains to their starting positions ready for the start of train filming tomorrow.  The editing process is what I described at the beginning as great fun.  It means messing about with the videos, cutting and pasting and will be a long process.  When I have finished, I will have to splice in all the (yet to be filmed) train movement videos.  So there wonít be any pictures for a few days, but Iíll try to keep everyone up to date with the progress.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3106 on: March 13, 2019, 09:11:47 PM »
I managed to finish filming today, but editing is taken almost forever.  I hope to be able to post something tomorrow.  It's all very complex, but at least it's all electronic splicing and not old-fashioned cutting.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3107 on: March 14, 2019, 09:11:08 AM »
Iím sorry that I was too busy with the video yesterday to write up anything of significance.  It was of course a gym day and I did manage to finish all the filming before we went.  Like Freya, Gareth didnít cause much of a stir here again.  We had a few gusts of 30mph on Monday night and quite a bit of rain on Tuesday morning, but apart from a couple of gusts of just over 40mph in the early hours of yesterday morning, the winds never really got up over 30mph.  We had a little more rain yesterday morning, but that was it.  We seem to be well protected from Atlantic storms over here.  Also, we are just far enough inland to shelter us from the worst of any Easterlies.  Being in the Humber valley also helps with shelter and frost protection.

Anyway, most of yesterday was taken up by film editing and I have manage to complete the first part of the video.  Here it is.  Do watch it on full screen, if possible, to see the information on the operational timetable clearly.

Because of the length of the first timetable cycle on film, I may release it as a series of parts.  Iíll see how much I can get done today.

With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3108 on: March 14, 2019, 05:05:40 PM »
Well, after yesterdayís preoccupation, I have been even more pre-occupied with video editing today.  I have come to realise that there is far too much to do. 

We often have a day out on Thursday, but as the weather has not been good for the last couple of days and the forecast for the morning was showers (which never materialised) we thought we would go to a garden centre this morning, have coffee and buy some plants for the garden.  We also needed to buy some Savoy seeds that we were unable to obtain earlier in the year.  Unfortunately, all the seed merchants now seem to be supplying only F1 hybrids, which are about £4 for a packet of 20, instead of £2 for a packet of 300.

However, when we returned, I continued editing for a while.  Then I did some serious digging up of coarse, ornamental grasses, which had dep roots and required a great deal of levering to get them out of the ground.  Then it was time for a cup of tea.

I carried on adding to the video I displayed this morning and I have now finished Sub-cycle 1a.  I have filmed all the timetable sheet shots for the whole of the cycle (1a/b/c) and all the shots of the controller settings for the same.  But I have only filmed 1a and 1b of the train movements.  At this rate it will take at least a week to complete compiling and editing the whole of the cycle.  The other thing that occurs to me is that, although it is nice to show all the shots of the timetable and the console settings first time round, it becomes somewhat turgid, long-winded and boring (for the viewer) to continue in that vein.  However, here is the whole of Sub-cycle 1a, just for the record.  It extends what was done in the previous video.

I think, now that people have seen the basic operations, it would be better to simply show the train movements with captions.  Even the movements in the hidden boards can be removed once people understand what is going on behind the scenes.  And, of course, I ought to get on with the scenic work a bit.  But now Iíve got the shots of 1a and 1b, I might just take the shots of 1c and then stitch them all together without the operatorís console bits.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3109 on: March 14, 2019, 06:05:19 PM »
Hi Laurence,

:thankyousign:

After my first filming and editing of a video with trains moving ..... less than 2 mins long, and taking a day and a half to edit  ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lh4VEAz95Y

I have huge respect for people like yourself producing fantastic videos here.

Thank you so much for all the time and effort put in for our enjoyment.

All best wishes

Kevin

:beers:

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3110 on: March 14, 2019, 08:13:21 PM »
Many thanks, Laurence, for the fascinating films which provided me with an insight into the world of DCC.  Do you have a checklist list or something similar so that you can easily match the locomotive's own number with the number you have allocated it for control purposes?

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3111 on: March 14, 2019, 08:30:05 PM »
Do you have a checklist list or something similar so that you can easily match the locomotive's own number with the number you have allocated it for control purposes?

Best wishes.

John
Hi John
I have an Excel workbook that contains the operational timetable and many other sheets that help me.  One of them is the manifest and, amongst other things, it has a matrix that assigns loco models/fleet numbers with DCC Loco IDs.  When operating, I only have to enter the DCC Loco ID, because the operational timetable links that to the actual loco via the manifest sheet.  I use  Excel formulae to translate the IDs to locos.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3112 on: March 15, 2019, 08:09:53 AM »
Many thanks, Laurence, for the fascinating films which provided me with an insight into the world of DCC.  Do you have a checklist list or something similar so that you can easily match the locomotive's own number with the number you have allocated it for control purposes?

Best wishes.

John
To show how I match the loco to the DCC ID, this is part of the timetable page I used for my video

The loco ID in the third column is used to look up the loco and put it in the eigth column.  It does this by finding the loco ID on the first row of the manifest sheet

It extracts the loco info from the entry immediately under the loco ID.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3113 on: March 15, 2019, 08:27:57 AM »
Thank you, Laurence; what an impressive system!

I understand; instead of matching the locomotive's own number to the 'Loco ID' number, you match the class to the Loco ID number.  For instance, the 'Hall' is 1 and the '67xx' is 14.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3114 on: March 15, 2019, 08:44:52 AM »
I understand; instead of matching the locomotive's own number to the 'Loco ID' number, you match the class to the Loco ID number.  For instance, the 'Hall' is 1 and the '67xx' is 14.
Yes, although I could , of course put in the full number, but as I know that I have only one 67XX, which is 6713 and only one Hall, which is Cranmore Hall, it saves cramming things in on the spreadsheet.  If I start to acquire multiple locos of the same type, I may have to use the full fleet number instead.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3115 on: March 15, 2019, 07:09:45 PM »
Friday is domestic chores day and I managed to get most of them done before coffee.  The outstanding two will have to wait until tomorrow.  After coffee, A visit to the Train Shed was in order.  I finished filming the train movements for Sub-cycle 1c and then took a picture of Stanier Class 5 45206 at rest in the milk depot, after bringing its train in to collect more milk.

[

Then it was on with the gardening, digging up more grasses and collecting prunings to stow in our brown bin.  We have three wheelie bins, a green one for general waste, a blue one for recycling and a brown one for composting.  We try to compost as much as possible ourselves, but there are lots of prunings that are too coarse for our compost system and too flexible for the shredder, so they all go to the East Riding Council, along with the extremely coarse grass tussocks that I am gradually removing from the garden.

After a cup of tea in the afternoon, I made it back to the Train Shed again.  This time I thought I would try to add some scatter material to the barren hedge that I made a while ago.  I sprayed it with layering spray and then added the scatter with a tea spoon, pressing it home as much as possible.

Iíll take a look at it in the morning and I may have to add one or more layers to get the right effect.  I thought I would finish with a picture of five locos in the UP loops.

On the far left is Cranmore Hall, while furthest from the camera is J26, 65761 and nearest the camera is Forthampton Grange.  In between can be seen G2, 49368 and Jubilee Class 45572, Eire.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3116 on: March 15, 2019, 08:41:43 PM »
Laurence,

I love that clever photograph of 'Hiker' 5206.

Many thanks.

John

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3117 on: March 16, 2019, 05:20:10 PM »
Saturday is our day for walking into Hessle, but it was raining and we wanted to go further afield to buy some ericaceous compost, so we went in the car.  I didnít have an early session in the Train Shed because I wanted to complete the remake of the video of Sub-cycle 1a, without all the shots of the controller and the timetable sheet.  Iím quite pleased with the result.

Later on, I did get a session in the Train Shed and concentrated on scenic work.  First, I placed the hedge in position after yesterdayís flocking.  I think it looks quite good.

Here it is from the other side.  There is some sunlight shining through the base of the hedge, which may be prototypical, but I think there is too much and so I stuck the hedge down with PVA and put some weights on it to get it closer to the ground. 

You may remember the paper mock-up of a farmhouse that I made several months ago.  I have resurrected it and placed where I think it might fit in.

Then I found the Plasticard version that I had produced and cut out all the pieces, ready for assembly.  I had begun to cut out some of the windows before I took this picture.

I also stuck down the roadbed for the road from the London Road bridge down to the station yard.  Then I made a small hedge for the slope down from the other side of the London Road Bridge and applied appropriate flock to it.  That rounded off the morning session, but I did have another session in the afternoon.  I removed the weights from the hedge, which looks much better at the base.

You can just see the weighted-down road bed at the bottom of the picture.  I then removed the weights from the roadbed, ready for applying the road surface.

After that I worked on the other side of the London Road Bridge.  I fitted the small hedge that I had made and added some scrub and weeds to the other side of the road.

Finally, I cut out all the windows on the prototype farmhouse, using Rogerís patent method of cutting diagonals and bending out the triangles, before fixing it together with Humbrol Liquid Poly. 

Of course, I should have glazed it and fitted the widow frames and curtains before assembling it, but I wanted to see how it would work out, once assembled.  I must look again at Rogerís tutorial because I have forgotten most of it but, once I am happy with my ability to make buildings, I should be able to start building in earnest.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #3118 on: March 17, 2019, 07:32:47 AM »
Good scenic progress Laurence.  :thumbsup:

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #3119 on: March 17, 2019, 11:18:39 AM »
I must look again at Rogerís tutorial because I have forgotten most of it but, once I am happy with my ability to make buildings, I should be able to start building in earnest.

If you want a printed version treat yourself to a copy of the current (April) issue of Railway Modeller!

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal