!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 308926 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3090 on: March 02, 2019, 10:11:56 PM »
Excellent, Laurence.  The PW people have got on top of the matter.

That 'Super D' is running very nicely.  In my mind's ear I can hear the 'chuff-wuff-piffff-woof' of an LNWR 0-8-0.  The third beat always sounds weak to my cloth ears.

Great stuff.

John.
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3091 on: March 03, 2019, 06:39:54 AM »
Excellent, Laurence.  The PW people have got on top of the matter.

That 'Super D' is running very nicely.  In my mind's ear I can hear the 'chuff-wuff-piffff-woof' of an LNWR 0-8-0.  The third beat always sounds weak to my cloth ears.

Great stuff.

John.
And the second one much stronger, although it depends where you start counting.  It went some thing like Chuff Chuff Chuff Chuff.  You could tell them a mile off, even if you couldn't see them.  Funnily enough, the Fowler version didn't have that trait at all.  I suppose one cylinder had a much stronger down beat than upbeat.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3092 on: March 03, 2019, 05:13:51 PM »
The first Sunday in the month is the local farmers’ market in the Humber Bridge car park.  I had a quick visit to the Train shed before we went and pinned down the new section of track, ready for the next timetable run, which includes G2, 49368, running over the replaced rail joint.  I bought a piece of Lincolnshire Poacher cheese at the market and we returned home in time for coffee.

After coffee, we had to make a trip to Currys because our Microwave needed replacing.  The old one was seventeen years old and had been a bit suspect for a while.  We noticed that, when we have smoked haddock form breakfast (on Saturdays) it needed longer to cook and was not always fully cooked in the middle.  Then, last night, when we had the family for dinner, the peas were still frozen in the middle after the normal cooking time.  Other things didn’t seem too bad, but we decided that it was time to replace the old one before it finally lets us down in a big way.

After that, I managed quite a long session in the Train Shed and set about filming the next timetable cycle.  It didn’t all go as well as previous sessions and I had quite a bit of repeat filming to get things right.  This mainly involved branch locos not restarting after station stops.  In addition, 49368 found another spot that it objected to.  It had always been alright there in the past, but I was running it even slower now that I thought everything was good again.  It appears that the G2 is particularly susceptible to high points at track joints, where the tender centre axle lifts the tender slightly, sufficient for the drive wheels to loose traction.  I may have to do a lot of track replacement unless I can find another solution.  Of course, I could run it just a little faster, which should be OK.  Another solution might be to pin down the track either side of the joint to see if that will prevent the problem from occurring.

I also got in a muddle with the camera at one point so that, when I thought I was filming, the camera was off and when I thought it was off, I was actually filming.  The result of this is that I missed 4571 leaving the station, but it is only a small omission in quite a long sequence.  Because I have tried to give an overall view of the station, the shots are from a distance, so it would be best to view the video in full screen mode, if possible.

Tomorrow, I will be short of time, but I may be able to have a go at a couple of the rail joints where 49368 is experiencing trouble.

p.s.  Did you spot the building move?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 05:15:30 PM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3093 on: March 04, 2019, 07:59:42 PM »
Well, whatever happened to Storm Freya?  I gather others may have suffered but, here, we had 2mm of rain in total making the total for the whole year 14.2mm, which is a desert-like amount.  We had one gust of wind of about 35mph at midnight and a few other gusts of over 30mph, but it wasn’t too much different to Friday night, when we had a few gusts approaching 30mph.  And yesterday’s local forecast for today was suddenly downgraded by 06:00 this morning to a bit blowy. 

Anyway, I digress.  This morning we had a committee meeting so I managed an early session in the Train Shed.  I concentrated on G2 49368, checking its ability to get round the whole layout.  At a speed setting of 10, which equates to a scale speed of just about 9mph, there is a sticking point at a joint adjacent to the goods shed.  I investigated the joint, but there seems little wrong with it.  However, if I run the loco with a setting of 15, which equates to a scale speed of about 14mph, it will pass without a problem.  The only other point of contention is the joint in DOWN Loop 11, but that isn’t a problem because it is just after the loco starts up for its UP run and I can wind it up to full speed and then set the controller back to 15.  That gets it past the joint and gives it time to settle down to its normal speed by the time it emerges from Oakwood Tunnel.

Although Storm Freya was a bit of a damp squib here, something dramatic did happen in the night.  After I had finished in the Train Shed, I went to open the front gates and, as I passed the pond, I saw something move.  When I looked, I could see several dollops of frogspawn.  So the frogs have arrived, just about on time, a little earlier than last year, when they were definitely late.  There may be more in the morning.

Because of the committee meeting, we had to rearrange our table tennis for this afternoon.  So, rather later than usual, we had a cup of tea and then I had another session in the Train Shed.  This time, I thought I would have a running session, with some photo shoots.  Because I wanted a good depth of focus, I decided to use my mobile phone instead of my Lumix, which only stops down to f8.  Unfortunately, the quality is not as good as the Lumix and, perhaps, I should have used the Lumix from a greater distance and cropped the picture.  Anyway, here’s Forthampton Grange heading at speed towards Oakwood Tunnel with a DOWN express while 80119 emerges on the UP line with a local passenger.  On the branch, 5572 is meandering towards Shipton.

Unfortunately, that’s as far as I got because Forthampton grange threw itself off the track at Point 20.  This is the same place that I had that problem with B17 Liverpool, until a new bogie was fitted, after which it behaved well again.  I had many tries with Forthampton grange, but even at low speed and even when manhandled, the bogie seemed to derail.  After a lot of attempts, I decided that it was when the bogie reached the start of the switchblade that the derailment occurred.  Now Liverpool is OK since fitting its new bogie and Cranmore Hall, Eire and 80119 do not have a problem, so it may be a matter of ordering another new bogie.  However, before that, it might be worth replacing the point, although that will be a difficult operation because it is in the middle of a point complex.  I may just order the bogie first.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3094 on: March 04, 2019, 08:06:33 PM »
Well, Storm Freya did appear down here and it was windy and wet but in reality, nothing more than we are used to. Winds were up to about 55mph but we get that fairly often so much ado about very little.
As for frogspawn, that does illustrate the difference between North and South. We had spawn in he third  week  of January and have little tadpoles wriggling about now.
I rather like your photo. The lack of clarity gives a sense of distance and speed.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3095 on: March 05, 2019, 08:22:16 PM »
Today was a gym day.  Before we went, I had an early session in the Train Shed.  I began by running the remainder of the timetable cycle I had started yesterday (12b/c).  I took the opportunity to take some more pictures of the trains running in the cutting approaching Oakwood Tunnel.  Here you can see 4571 on its way from Shipton to Marton Hinmarche, while 46443 makes its way towards Evenbury and 92006 thunders out of Oakwood Tunnel with the celebrated fish train.

In the next picture, 6417 approaches Martone Hinmarche with its ‘B’ set while Ditcheat Manor takes the parcels train on to Worcester and 6713 meanders its way towards Shipton with the branch goods.

After that, I set the routes for 5572 to work a couple of circuits of the mainline to se if the IPA treatment could be worked into its contacts.  It ran well for the first lap and then I re-set its acceleration to normal, and it still continues to perform excellently.

After the gym, we visited J Sainsbury and then, in the afternoon, I had to take the new bank signatory to the local branch (well not that local these days) to identify herself, etc.  After a cup of tea, I made another visit to the Train Shed.  This time, I ran the next sub-cycle (13a) before running 6713 around the mainline to make sure that it was on form.  There were no problems and so, tomorrow, I will continue with the timetable and hope to be able to run 4571 around the mainline to the same good effect.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 06:21:06 AM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3096 on: March 05, 2019, 08:27:16 PM »
Great Video Laurence, your getting really smooth operation from what I can see, great stuff
Thanks for looking - Andrew

My attempt at a box layout - Bogindollo

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50114.msg652980#new

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3097 on: March 06, 2019, 06:37:15 PM »
Today was taken up by the funeral of one of our old MS colleagues in Solihull.  So there was a lot to do before we went.  But I did manage a short session in the Train shed before we set off.  I ran the rest of the operational cycle that I had started yesterday (13b/c) and then ran 4571 around the mainline without incident, apart from an instantaneous short circuit, which happened when 4571 was crossing one of the mainline exit points and Ditcheat Manor was leaving the station.  I suspect, but can’t prove, that the front pony wheels of 4571 caused the short at the frog, although its rear coach bogie might have been responsible at the previous point.  But 4571 ran perfectly well and was returned to the Shipton run-around, ready for its next timetabled duty.

We had 6.8mm of rain last night and, with an additional 0.4mm this afternoon, so that has increased the year’s total to 22.4mm, which is still a tiny amount.  I can tell you this because, although we are in Solihull, I can see my weather data at http://www.hessle.org.uk/weather/bulletin/bulletin.htm. So, when we get back to gardening again, as soon as the weather permits, the ground should be well watered.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3098 on: March 07, 2019, 07:32:01 PM »
Eventually, we returned home this afternoon.  I managed to cram in a Train Shed session later.  This time, I thought I would try another video using my camera specs, warts and all.  Unfortunately, I overcompensated for the looking down shots by tilting my head down too far, resulting in loosing some of the shots over to the UP loop boards and a few others besides.  I will keep trying to get it right.  I ran Cycle 14 and included anything that went wrong.  Here’s the whole session.

I’ll have to see how I get on tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3099 on: March 08, 2019, 07:40:53 PM »
This morning was a bit different to usual.  What with our funeral on Wednesday and another trip out tomorrow, we had to get more petrol and something for dinner on Sunday.  So, after I had completed most of my weekly chores, we went off to J Sainsbury.  After we returned, we had coffee and then I set off to deliver newsletters to 160 local residents.  Then it was time for something to eat.

In the afternoon, I carried on with some of the weekly chores before a visit to the Train Shed.  First, I distributed the farm animals around the layout.  Now, in the West Country, there are several hills bearing white horses.  But on this layout, there is a brown horse hill that forms part of the cutting approaching Oakwood Tunnel.

Also, some sheep have appeared on the plain at the end of the cutting.

Plus, two more cows have appeared in the field next to the hedge.

And, on the other side of the hedge are more sheep.

I apologise for the poor focus, but I was sure I had set it correctly.  After that, I ran the next timetable cycle (15a/b/c).  I started off with by creating another video with my specs cam but it was still not good enough.  I apologise once again for yesterday’s video, but I am getting better (honest).  Today’s effort started well enough, but the quality deteriorated as time went on, so I have not shown it. 

During the timetable run, I had some problems with Forthampton Grange.  So, once the timetable run was complete, I thought I would run it in a tail chase  with 80119 to see if I could blow away the gremlins.  The first problem was with Point 20 accessing Loop 13, where Forthampton Grange once again threw itself off the track.  So I then changed the routes and ran it around with Cranmore Hall.  Here’s a brief video of them passing in the station.

After a while, I put them to bed, but I must remember that, when I get to the end of the timetable, to clear everything out of the DOWN Loops and change Point 20 for a Unifrog.  I will almost certainly also change Point 32 at the entrance to the Shipton run-around, that is sometimes shorted by 4571.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3100 on: March 09, 2019, 04:04:46 PM »
We are away again, this time in Nottingham.  Again, I had a session in the Train Shed before we left.  I ran the last timetable cycle and everything would have been absolutely perfect, but for two most unexpected problems.  Firstly, as Tiverton Castle ran into UP Loop 1, it suddenly came to a halt, although the wheels were still turning.  It turned out that the rear bogie of the sixth coach had jumped the rails at Point 5.  There appeared to be no cause for this.  When the coaches were all re-railed, the train continued as normal.  The second problem was even more of a surprise.  Union Mills J26 kept stopping at low speed and had to be run at full speed to get it around the layout.  It may of course be my track that is the problem.  The Union Mills locos seem to object to slight changes in level, even though none of my other locos have any problems in those places.

I am pleased to say that B17 ‘Liverpool’ ran into DOWN Loop 13 as good as gold, so I have to ask myself whether or not the problem with Forthampton Grange throwing itself onto its side at Point 20 is really a problem with the point or with its bogie.  That was the problem with Liverpool when it did the same at Point 20 and a new bogie cured it.  However, I have now reached the stage where I can clean all the track again, so I will do that and then, while the DOWN loops are empty of trains, I will change the Point 20 and replace it with one of the new Unifrogs.  I think I will also change Point 32 at the entrance to the Shipton run-around because, although 4571 hasn’t caused a short there for several days, replacing the point will prevent a recurrence of the problem.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3101 on: March 10, 2019, 06:37:27 AM »
Excellent videos Laurence and a great insight into the timetable operation via the googlecam! 

Thanks for looking - Andrew

My attempt at a box layout - Bogindollo

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50114.msg652980#new

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3102 on: March 10, 2019, 05:15:46 PM »
Yesterday, we had a very squally journey to Nottingham.  But it cheered up in the afternoon and we were able to take a tram from the University into the City Centre, although the wind was still very cold.  This morning, we had planned to have a walk around the campus, but the rain and sleet ruled that out, so we had another very blustery and showery journey home again.  Later this afternoon, I ventured down to the Train Shed again and started on the track cleaning cycle.  I cleaned all the ‘open’ tracks, that is to say, all the tracks between the UP loops and the DOWN loops.  Then I moved everything out of the UP loops and cleaned them.  I was about to pack up for the afternoon when a heavy snow shower set in, so I used the time to move everything back into the UP loops and clear the DOWN loops ready for cleaning. 

While all the train movements were going along, the local photographer managed to nab a shot of Cranmore Hall passing the Brown Horse Hill with an UP express while 6713 meandered along in the direction of Shipton.

Before I set about cleaning the DOWN loops, I will replace the two points that I have already identified as needing replacement.  I will also pin down the frog end of Point 28 because it is causing a problem for the Union Mills J26.  On examination, it looks as though pinning down that end of the point might improve the situation.  I might also have a go at realigning the joint on Track 11 that has caused the other Union Mills to falter. 
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3103 on: March 11, 2019, 05:18:11 PM »
Today, Celia had meetings all day, so there was no table tennis.  She had quite a few things to take into town, so I took her down in the car, which gave me some time in the Train Shed before we went.  First, I decided to change Point 20, which had been causing Forthampton Grange to derail.  However, when I viewed it from the diverge end, I could see that the point blade wasn’t engaging fully with the stock rail when switched to the turnout setting.  I investigated underneath the baseboard and discovered that the fulcrum slide bar had risen right to the top of its travel and popped out of its runners.  You can see what I mean here.

The point operating rod connects the servo lug at the bottom to the point tie bar at the top via the fulcrum slide bar.  The point tie rod moves in the opposite direction to the servo lug because the point operating rod pivots in the fulcrum hole in the slide bar.  The lower the slide bar, the move leverage at the tie bar end.  However, if the tie bar comes adrift of its runners, there will be minimum pressure on the tie bar.  The result was that the switch blade was not forced against the stock rail with any pressure. 

After a deal of fiddling, I managed to relocate the fulcrum slide bar onto its runners and slide it down to give a good pressure at the tie bar end.  I then needed to test the repair, so I had to move Royal Ulster Rifleman from Platform 2 into DOWN Loop 11 to clear a circuit for Forthampton Grange and B17 Liverpool.  I was then able to run them round Loop 3 at full speed without any recurrence of the derailment.  I then ran them back to the starting positions and backed up Royal Ulster Rifleman.  I suspect that, although the new bogie cured the problem for Liverpool a few weeks ago, I probably didn’t need one, had I realised that the point adjustment was the root cause of the problem.  It was a bit misleading that none of the other locos that use that loop (Cranmore Hall, 80119 and Jubilee class Eire) had given the slightest indication of the problem.

Then I changed Point 32 for a Unifrog to overcome the tendency for the front pony of 4571 to cause a short circuit between the switch blade and the stock rail.  Here’s the result, with the new point in place and the original one beyond it.

The hammer was for re-fitting the track pins that I now use instead of Copydex, particularly on curves approaching points, to ensure that the rail joints remain in alignment.

After I had taken Celia into Hessle, I returned and finished off the weekly jobs that were left over from Friday.  Then, after a cup of coffee, I set about pruning all the remaining shrubs at the bottom of the garden.  In the afternoon, I cut the grass with the new lawnmower, which was a joy to use.  Then I attacked the remaining tasks on the DOWN Loops board. 

First, there was the matter of the joint at Point 27, where the Union Mills J26 stops when running at slow speeds.  I had considered pinning it down to try to level the track, but I realised that the whole point was sitting too high above the baseboard because of the soldering on the underside, where the frog dropper was connected to the frog wires.  So I utilised the Unifrog point that I had originally intended to use to replace Point 20.  Once it was in place, the track appeared to by more level, although I won’t know for sure until I run the J26 out of DOWN Loop 17.  Here’s the new point.

Point 27 is the one under the point of the screwdriver blade, which I have simply used as a pointer.  Once again, the original point is beyond it.  After that, I had a look at the joint where the G2 has a problem, but I’m not sure I can do much about that.  Because the G2 starts at full speed, it should pass the joint without any trouble.

That left me with all the track on the DOWN Loops board to clean, after which, I moved all the trains back to their starting positions, ready for the start of the first timetable cycle.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3104 on: March 12, 2019, 01:21:42 AM »
I was then able to run them round Loop 3 at full speed without any recurrence of the derailment.

Laurence, to say I'm impressed with your problem solving and execution of fixes is an understatement!!!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal