!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 319011 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3060 on: February 13, 2019, 07:03:44 PM »
Back Story (continued)
Tuesday February 12th 1959

After Alan Cooper’s train spotting efforts in the morning, he went home for dinner.  After dinner, his friend from down the road, Mick Gibson, came round to see him.  Mick was the son of a local plumber, Fred Gibson.  The two thought it would be a good idea to spot some trains at speed, away from the station.  However, they couldn’t agree where the best place would be.  Alan wanted to sit on top of the cutting between the station and Oakwood Tunnel, whereas Mick wanted to look over from the London Road at the trains on their way to Aylesbury.  In the end, they decided to separate, agreeing to meet up again at four o’clock at the station before going home to tea.  Here’s a little video of what they saw.

With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3061 on: February 13, 2019, 07:21:25 PM »
That’s a lovely little video Laurence.
I hope the boys managed a few ‘cops’ out of that lot.
I’ll get round to fixing it drekkly me ‘ansome.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3062 on: February 14, 2019, 07:30:09 PM »
Today, the weather was wonderfully sunny and we really did go to Fraisthorpe beach.  It’s a glorious beach and there is a relatively new café that opened a year or so ago, called The Cow Shed.  It was designed by the son of one of Celia’s Pilates friends, who is an architect.  The first thing we did when we arrived was to have a cup of coffee and a piece of cake.  Then we had a wonderful walk along the golden sands.  The beach stretches for miles, from Bridlington in the North, all the way to Spurn Point in the South, with hardly a break in the sands.  Here’s a view looking North towards Bridlington.

We had dinner there (old fashioned dinner time) before returning home in the afternoon.  Because I had several U3A tasks to complete before we left in the morning, I didn’t get an early session in the train Shed.  However, I made up for it during the afternoon.  I made a video of the next timetable cycle (14a/b/c).  If you can view it in full screen, it is best because of the long range photography.

When I had completed filming, I added a little more to the static grass on the plateau.

Tomorrow, I will try to finish the static grass.  After that, I need to add some detail, using flowering meadow mix and 4mm grass to break up the monotony.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3063 on: February 15, 2019, 07:20:34 PM »
Yet again, today, I didn’t manage an early session in the Train Shed.  We had to go to Beverley in the morning and I am also working on redesigning the U3A website because, when I submitted it to Google, Google Analytics reported that it was not mobile friendly.  And, of course, Friday is my weekly jobs day as well.  Hey, Ho.

However, I did get into the Train Shed for a bit in the afternoon.  I ran the next cycle (15a/b/c).  It would have been an absolutely perfect run, but for the fact that, after yesterday’s filming session, I forgot to run round 4571 in the Norton run-around.  The result was that, when 5572 arrived there today, 4571 was still occupying the headshunt.  So I had to back up 5572 and run 4571 around its train before I could continue.  But, running-wise, it was probably the best operating session I have ever had.  Not only did all the trains run perfectly, but the numbskull operator managed to do everything in the right order!  During the session, I took a picture or 46122 ‘Royal Ulster Rifleman’ thundering through Platform 2 while 46443’s train was waiting at Platform 3.

After that, I finished off the static grass on the plateau.

However, I may have to do more work on it because, when I brushed up the loose grass from yesterday’s session and then hoovered up the debris, it revealed several patches where the static grass had not adhered to the layering spray.  So I had to re-do those areas.  I will have to wait until tomorrow to find out if everything has stuck today.  Once it is all finished, I will add some patches of layering spray to be covered with flowering meadow mix or 4mm lank grass.  That should break up the uniformity of the plateau.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3064 on: February 15, 2019, 07:49:36 PM »
The static grass area looks good Laurence. I think adding the extra including a few areas of longer grass and summer flowers will make it look even better.
I’ll get round to fixing it drekkly me ‘ansome.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3065 on: February 16, 2019, 07:36:28 PM »
As we went to the butcher’s yesterday, we didn’t need to walk into Hessle this morning.  So I was able to spend a bit of time in the Train Shed instead.  Unfortunately, it didn’t turn out too well.  I thought I would run the final timetable cycle (16a/b/c), but things didn’t go at all to plan.  To be fair, 5572, 6713 and 80119 all behaved impeccably.  But B17, 61664 ‘Liverpool’ proved to be a problem, on which I spent a considerable amount of time and so didn’t get beyond the first sub-cycle, 16a.  On exiting UP loop 5, the bogie derailed.  So I set it to rights and tried again, with the same result.  At this stage, I thought I would continue with the timetable and decide what to do afterwards.  But, when it entered DOWN loop 13, the same thing happened. 

Now Liverpool has been a star runner in the two years plus that I have been running operations.  However, when I first introduced the cleaning timetable, 61664 was allocated to the Milk Loop for its station parking session while the DOWN loops were cleaned.  It immediately had a problem with the bogie derailing on the curve on the first element of the double crossover from the UP main to the Milk Loop.  Sometimes, if I ran it very slowly, it would stay on the rails but, more often than not, it would derail.  Nevertheless, it ran perfectly everywhere else, so I assumed that the radius of curvature of the crossover was too severe for it.  When I reconfigured the timetable to include additional running, I rewrote the cleaning timetable so that 61664 ran straight into Platform 3 rather than crossing over into the Milk loop.  And that, I thought, was that.

However, very recently, its bogie has derailed on occasions when entering the DOWN loops.  So, after the completion of sub-cycle 16a, I decided that the problem required investigation.  I tried it over Point 13, which was where the problem occurred on the exit from Loop 5.  I tried it at fast speed and very slow speed, but the result was the same.  Strangely, when I tried a manual exit, pushing the first coach, it exited perfectly every time, regardless of the speed.  But it just wouldn’t exit without a bogie derailment under its own steam (excuse the pun).  Even worse, it just would not enter
DOWN Loop 13 without a derailment.  In the end I resorted to the loco cradle and removed the bogie.  I tried to slightly bend the suspension arm for the bogie but, when I tried to refit the bogie, I found that the screw threaded insert had come adrift from the arm.

Eventually, I superglued it back again, but it was still no good.  So, sledgehammer in hand, I bent the suspension arm quite aggressively to see if that would cure the problem.  Unfortunately, this resulted in too little adhesion for the drivers, so they just slipped under acceleration.  In the end, I decided that the bogie was unserviceable and removed it.  I will contact DCC Supplies to see if I can obtain a replacement complete assembly.  So poor 61664 is now running as an 0-6-0 (how ignominious!). 

By then, it was time for coffee.  After that, I had a lot of pruning to do, which kept me busy for the rest of the morning.  In the afternoon, I had some digging to do but, then, after a cup of tea, I returned to the Train Shed and took some pictures of poor, beleaguered (that’s not the right adjective, but it will do for now) 61664.  Here’s one of it in the cutting.

And here’s another with 80119 on the DOWN line.  Poor 80119 had been subject to lots of running to allow me to test 61664.  In the end, I parked it, temporarily in Platform 4 to allow me to concentrate on 61664.

So 61664 will have to survive as an 0-6-0 for the time being.  It runs perfectly without its bogie.

After that, I had another go at the static grass.  I am pleased to be able to report that, when I hoovered up all the loose grass, the covering was still very good.  So I took the opportunity to add a couple of patches of 4mm lank grass.

It’s the two darker patches that are the 4mm grass.  I’m quite pleased with the result and, tomorrow, I will add a little flowering meadow mix between the two patches of lank grass.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3066 on: February 17, 2019, 06:01:46 PM »
We are not able to walk the river at the moment because of Network Rail’s project that will, by all accounts, take several months.  So instead, we walked around the Humber Bridge Country Park, which is virtually next door.  I fitted in a short session in the Train Shed before we went.  I managed to finish the timetable run that I had begun yesterday (16b/c).  The mainline trains ran particularly well, especially J26, 65761, the Union Mills loco heading the pickup goods.  However, branch operations weren’t quite so good.  Both 4571  and 5572 required tiny nudges to get started on their run-arounds, but 6713 was a real problem.  It first stopped on the UP leg board and then required lots of encouragement to make it round to Platform 4, where it stopped again before its deceleration had finished.  When I came to start it again, it really didn’t want to know.  In the end, I gave it the IPA treatment and then set its acceleration to zero.  That got it home to the DOWN loops.  After it came to rest in the headshunt, I set its acceleration back to normal, in the hope that the IPA would do its work while it was standing overnight.

I didn’t get another session in the Train Shed because I had, first, digging and, then, extensive pruning to do in the garden.  Also there was quite a lot of U3A work to do, including creating new name badges and a set of labels for the rent cheque envelopes.  But I’ve sent an Email to DCC supplies to see if they can rustle up a new bogie for the B17.  I do hope so!
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3067 on: February 17, 2019, 06:47:12 PM »
I'm absolutely delighted, Laurence, that the Union Mills engines are proving their worth on your splendid layout.  If the branch line is still giving slight problems, why not allocate the UM locomotives to branch line workings for a few days?  That'll let you know if the PW chaps might need to make some adjustments.

Thank you for all these fascinating posts.

All the best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3068 on: February 18, 2019, 06:46:23 PM »
Today was supposed to be table tennis day, but Celia didn’t really feel up to it, particularly as she had an important meeting in the afternoon.  So, in the end, I had quite a good session in the Train Shed this morning.  First, I cleaned up the loose 4mm static grass and then added some flowering meadow mix to a couple of spots on the plateau, one to the right of the right-hand lank grass and another between the two areas of lank grass.

I also added some at the top of the slope behind the retaining wall.

Then I added a patch of lank grass to the slope at the other end of the London Road Bridge.

All of this was done using layering spray, because the new layers were added on top of existing layers.  Then I thought I would try a different technique for extending the grass on the far side of the bridge.  I hadn’t had much success with neat PVA in the past so, taking a leaf from another thread, I thought I would try sizing the area first to see if that would help the PVA to hold the static grass better.  So I applied some PVA from a bottle.

Then I used a half inch paintbrush dipped in water to spread it over the surface.

This I left to dry as a size.  Later, in the afternoon, I returned and used the same technique to spread more PVA and then added 2mm static grass.

Of course, I wont know whether it has been a success or not until the morning when I go to clean up the loose grass.  After that, I thought I would try to make some progress with the road at the far end of the bridge, running down the slope towards the station yard.  Before I could add the road surface, I needed to fix a roadbed in place because the wet & dry paper isn’t rigid enough to form a realistic road surface over the rough terrain.  I used 3mm Plasticard.  First, I tried to fix it with Speedbond, but it proved difficult to hold in place.  Then I tried Superglue, but it didn’t adhere to the Plasticard very well.  In the end, I reverted to Speedbond, but just glued the top two highlights of the scenery and then weighted it down.

If, in the morning, I find that has worked, I will try gluing some more high points.  But, if it is still a failure, I will have a go with Gorilla Glue instead.

There was some very good news today.  DCC Supplies are able to send me a replacement bogie and bogie mount for B17, 61664 ‘Liverpool’, so I have purchased them and await the postman with bated breath.  I also found that 6713 was much better today, now that the IPA has had time to work so, with any luck, it should not need further attention.

With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3069 on: February 19, 2019, 07:56:49 PM »
Well, today was much more like a normal day.  We went off to the gym this morning and, before we went, I had my customary session in the Train Shed.  There was good news because the road bed I had fixed with Speedbond had really taken.  So I added Speedbond to the remaining two scenic highlights and the end of the roadbed, before weighting it down with a much heftier weight, which was required to hold it in place.

The socket set is probably nearly fifty years old, but it still gives good service.  Then I began to clean all the ‘open’ tracks (i.e. those not in the hidden loops).  First, I removed the Oakwood Tunnel structure and cleaned all the tracks between the initial points on the DOWN loops board and the station crossovers.  Then, I replaced the tunnel structure and removed all the buildings that obstructed the cleaning of the station tracks.  I cleaned everything in the station up to the London Road Bridge and then removed the Gatsby Tunnel structure before cleaning all the tracks between the London Road Bridge and the initial points to the UP loops. 

After that, I began moving the trains.  First there was a bit of juggling because I had to move 46443’s train out of DOWN Loop 12, round the whole layout and into DOWN Loop 18, behind 6417’s ‘B’ set, which I had to move forward a bit within the loop to allow room for 46443.  Then I had to move 65761, with the pickup goods, out of UP Loop 7 round to DOWN Loop 17, first moving 45206 with the milk train from DOWN Loop 17, right round the layout and into the goods loop, ready for its final movement back into Loop 17.  At that point I ran out of time.

After the gym we visited J Sainsbury and then, in the afternoon, I started shredding some of the prunings that I had cut earlier in the week.  However, before that, there was more good news.  The postman delivered the replacement bogie for B17, 61664 ‘Liverpool’.

I will fit it in due course.  Then I made another visit to the Train Shed.  There was some good and not so good news.  The good news is that the new technique of sizing the scenery before painting on the PVA for the static grass worked a treat.  The not so good news is that, when sizing or painting on the adhesive, it affected the previous application of static grass at the join, so some had become loose and was removed when I cleaned up.

But, as you can see, the new area of static grass is very good, so I will just have to go back and re-do the bald part.  Then I found that the latest fixing of the road bed with Speedbond had worked a treat and it is now ready for the addition of the ‘tarmac’.  Here it is ready to be fixed into place.

After that, I concentrated on moving the rest of the trains out of the UP loops ready for cleaning.  6837 Forthampton Grange stopped on two different set of points on the way out of the UP loops and stumbled on several other points on the way round.  Also, Jubilee Class, 45572 ‘Eire’ stopped a couple of times on its way out of the UP loops.  But everything else ran OK.  Here are all the trains parked in the station.

Tomorrow, I will concentrate on cleaning the UP loops and then try to move everything out of the DOWN Loops, ready for cleaning.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3070 on: February 20, 2019, 06:53:18 PM »
Wednesday is another gym day, but Celia’s class starts a little later than on Tuesday, so I had a reasonably long early session in the Train Shed.  First, I cleaned all the tracks in the UP loops and then I began to move all the trains out of the station, back into the UP loops, followed by moving all the trains out of the DOWN loops.  When I got as far as moving 61664 Liverpool, I took the opportunity to fit the new bogie that I received from DCC Supplies.  Here I would like to say a big thankyou to DCC Supplies, firstly for being able to supply a new bogie and, secondly, for sending it first class by return of post.  Here’s Liverpool with its new bogie fitted.  I hoped that it would perform well over the point complexes.

After the gym, we returned home for a late coffee and then I had a major job in the hallway.  We have some old, IKEA bookcases that we want to replace.  We have ordered some replacements, made to measure and they will be delivered on Friday.  So I brought in four removal packing cases from the garage and began stacking books in them.  I have arranged with Barnardo’s furniture shop for the old ones to be collected tomorrow.  While I was unpacking them, a surprise package appeared through the letterbox containing two PO vans.  They have come all the way from the Tora Bora Line for through running between Marton Hinmarche and the west country.

Later, I was able to get down to the Train Shed again and I attached the PO vans to trains.  The fish van was attached to the back of 92006’s fish train, which runs from Hull to the West Country.

The other was attached to the back of 65761’s pickup goods as an ‘export’ from the West Country.

Then I proceeded to clean all the tracks in the DOWN loops.  I made a short video of part of the process, using my Specs CAM.  I apologise for the shadows.  Had I realised the effect, I would have turned off the light cluster behind me.  But I am still learning how to use the Specs CAM.

Once all the tracks were cleaned, I moved all the trains back to their ‘home’ loops’, ready to start the next timetable runs.  B17, 61664 Liverpool managed to negotiate all the points without any problems, so I hope the new bogie has done its job.  When I had finished, I had a go at relaying the static grass that had been damaged yesterday.  I sprayed the bald area with layering spray and recovered it with static grass.

Tomorrow, I will check that it has all bonded to the surface.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3071 on: February 21, 2019, 05:45:43 PM »
This morning, I waited in for the men from Barnardo’s to collect the bookcases.  I had an earlier than usual session in the Train Shed.  The first item was to check the static grass that I had applied yesterday to cover the bald patch.  I’m happy to report that it is all tickety-boo.  Overnight, I remembered that I had forgotten to clean the Shipton run-around after making the cleaning video.  So, this morning, I ran the first complete cycle (1a/b/c) which cleared 5572 out of the Shipton run-around and then moved 6713 out of the run-around and onto the branch line outside Oakwood Tunnel.  However, before I could safely clean the run-around, I needed to reverse Royal Ulster Rifleman back along Loop 11 far enough to ensure there was sufficient room to clean the run-around without derailing anything.  I thought I would try another video, with the lights switched off behind me.

Unfortunately, as you can see, the Sun was streaming in through the gaps in the blinds, so the result was still not too good.  However, I think I have improved the position of the camera so as to show the focal point a little better. 

After the men had taken away the bookcases, I had another short session in the Train Shed.  I thought I would try to make a hedge.  I cut a 25mm wide piece of a Metcalfe packet, similar to those I use for track cleaning.  Then I scored it so that it would fold up with two sides about 11mm high and a top 3mm wide.  This I then covered with PVA, painted on with my wet brush.  I spread some green scatter on it and pressed it down, before spraying it with a water mist.  Then I left it for the PVA to dry out. 

I realised this morning that I had mis-described the fish train as bringing fish from Hull but, of course, it comes from Grimsby.  Grimsby is at the end of a northern tentacle of the old Great Central, with a direct link via Sheffield, Nottingham Leicester and Rugby after which trains fanned out onto several routes.  In the case of the fish train, it runs via the Aylesbury and Worcester, switching onto the old Great Western Route from Stratford-upon-Avon to Cheltenham and then onto the old Midland route to Bristol, before re-joining the Great Western to go on to the West Country.

On returning to the Train Shed later in the afternoon, I was somewhat disappointed with the results for the hedge.  I vacuumed it and folded it along the scores, but the result looked rather shabby.

I’m afraid I forgot to focus the camera, but I think you can see enough to appreciate the poor quality of the result.  But, not to be beaten, I got out my WWS Pro Grass Box and put some 1mm static grass on it.  I then sprayed the hedge with layering spray, switched on and held the hedge over the Pro Grass Box, holding it with a pair of tweezers.  I think the result is now a lot better.

Tomorrow, I will think about where to place the hedge.  I already have an idea that it will straddle the field behind the London Road Bridge.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #3072 on: February 21, 2019, 07:42:52 PM »
I have used a pan scrubber boiled for about an hour and then teased apart a little ... dunked in PVA-Water mix to set in place.

Means you can cut to size and for me, it gives a very good look. You could cover it in static grasses too if you like.

Cheers  :beers:

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3073 on: February 22, 2019, 11:12:44 AM »
I have used a pan scrubber boiled for about an hour and then teased apart a little ... dunked in PVA-Water mix to set in place.
Means you can cut to size and for me, it gives a very good look. You could cover it in static grasses too if you like.
That looks very good.  What sort of pan scoureres are they, please.  I will have a look at the different types next time we go to the supermarket.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3074 on: February 22, 2019, 07:47:48 PM »
Today I had to wait in for the furniture to be delivered.  They had promised mid-morning (whenever that might be) so I had an early session in the Train Shed.  I ran the next cycle (2a/b/c) and it began well enough.  5572 started, but stopped and required a very slight nudge before it would exit the Norton run-around.  However, after that, it behaved impeccably.  80119 was its usual well-behaved self, but Forthampton Grange was a real handful.  First, it was difficult to get it started from UP Loop 2 and then, after its station stop, it really didn’t want to know about getting going again.  Even when it was running free, it kept up a jerky motion.  4571 ran almost perfectly, but required a slight nudge during its run-around at Norton. 

5572 did have a problem at the Shipton run-around, but that was because its train didn’t release first time at the magnet and a couple of shunts were required to activate the coupling.  But that can’t be blamed on 5572.  A real worry was 6713, which required several nudges to restart after unexpected stops.  Also, Ditcheat Manor, although it ran without any unscheduled stops, ran with a jerky motion for most of its run.  Fortunately, Union Mills J26, 65761, ran like a dream. 

Well, mid-morning came and went and, at 12:15, I picked up the phone to find out what was happening with the delivery when it rang while it was in my hand.  It was the furniture people ringing to apologise because the delivery men had experienced real problems with the early deliveries and, in the end, had to return to base to sort things out.  In the end, they did arrive and were really good at installing the bookcases and screwing them together for us.  That left us with the task of working out the spacing of the shelves and fitting them.  Then I had to get out the stepladder and fix the tops of the tall units to the wall.  After that, we had a cup of tea and then Celia started to empty the packing cases of books while I had another session in the Train Shed. 

I placed the newly created hedge on the layout and, although it’s not entirely convincing, I think it will do for the time being.

I hope to try Grey Wolf’s pan scrubber technique, when I can find one that’s appropriate.  After that, I did a bit of wheel cleaning, using Mick’s patent method of IPA on kitchen roll.  First, I cleaned the wheels of 6713, which seemed to improve it.  Then I cleaned the wheels of Forthampton Grange and Ditcheat Manor.  I then gave them both a full circuit, complete with station stops and there was an improvement in both cases.  My next scenic task will be to lay the road surface from the London Road Bridge down to the station yard.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100%