!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 176170 times)

GreyWolf and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3045 on: February 03, 2019, 08:37:56 PM »
It was a strange day today.

Laurence, did you get up on the wrong side of the bed?  :D

No railroading here, today. The Super Bowl kickoff is just three hours away and lot's of pre-game coverage during that time!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3046 on: February 03, 2019, 09:40:49 PM »
Laurence, did you get up on the wrong side of the bed?  :D
Actually the saying is "Did you get out of bed on the wrong side?"  It may seem a small difference, but it refers to the side you were lying on, NOT the side of the bed.  It's to do with sleeping half the night on one side and the other half on the other side.  In between, there should be an hour of wakefulness, which might (just) involve having a cup of tea.  It's to do with your heart and digestion, apparently.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3047 on: February 04, 2019, 08:59:14 AM »
The 'G2' and 'J26' look splendid, Laurence.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Union Mills!

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3048 on: February 04, 2019, 09:06:46 PM »
I didn’t get much done in the Train Shed today.  We had a committee meeting in the morning and table tennis in the afternoon.  In between, I have been wrestling with getting the contact pages working on the new Hessle U3A website.  But I did manage a running session later in the afternoon and ran the next cycle (4a/b/c).  The branch locos ran OK, but 45572, ‘Eire’, stopped on the way out of the UP loops and refused to leave the station, once it had arrived there.  I checked the traction tyres, but they were OK.  In the end, I gave its tyres the IPA treatment and it did get going and stopped in the right place, so I hope that the IPA will work its way down to the metal.  Even worse, 46443 started playing up as well.  Those two locos have, until now, been my best performing ones, neither having given a murmur for almost two years.  Then the controller went walkabout again and the only way I could stop 92006 was to turn off the power.  Once it was on again, everything settled down again.  The branch ran well enough, with only a couple of hiccups during run-arounds and 4571 struggling to drop its train in the Norton loops.  Perhaps tomorrow will be more fuitful.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3049 on: February 05, 2019, 07:06:25 PM »
Today we went to the gym and, as usual, I managed an early running session in the Train Shed, running the next cycle (5a/b/c).  It ran so well that I decided my afternoon session would be another running session, given that both J26, 65761 and G2, 49368, the two new Union Mills locos, would be running in the next cycle.  46443, which, yesterday, ran so badly that I had to set its acceleration back to zero, ran very well on its out-run and I duly set its acceleration back to normal for its in-run, which was fine.

So, in the afternoon, I returned to the train shed to run the next cycle (6a/b/c).  It was a pretty good session, although 49368 did have four stops, two when passing over points.  I thought you might like to see some videos of the two Union Mills locos.  Here’s 49368 exiting Oakwood Tunnel.

And here it is again entering Gatsby Tunnel at the other end of the layout.

Then I filmed 65761 leaving the goods loop.

I hope you liked the videos and I hope to return to some scenic work tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3050 on: February 06, 2019, 06:51:09 PM »
Today was another gym day and I had an early running session in the Train Shed (7a/b/c).  I do enjoy running trains when everything is going well.  Soon, I hope to be able to make a video demonstrating exactly what a running session is like, warts and all.  Today’s session would have been perfect but for three things.  First, when Royal Ulster Rifleman first started from UP Loop1, it was clear that it had derailed.  On inspection, I found that its rear drivers were clean off the rails.  It’s a few days since I last moved it and I suspect that I must have dislodged it while attending to something else on the UP loops board.  So that one is down to operator clumsiness rather than a running problem. 

Also, 6417 required the tiniest nudge to start from DOWN Loop 18.  But apart from that, it would have been a really exhilarating session, except for the fact that the dumb operator kept watching the trains instead of concentrating on the job in hand (you’re not here to watch trains, you’re here to operate them!).  So I had to make an emergency stop with 80119 because I failed to start deceleration until too late.  I was pleased that 61664 ‘Liverpool’ behaved impeccably after it’s mishaps the other day.  Also, 46443 is now back on song again.  I had given the tyres of its drivers the IPA treatment when it played up two days ago, so perhaps it was the magic potion to return it to normal operation.

So, all in all, it was a very good session.  I didn’t get down to the Train Shed in the afternoon because I spent the time sorting out all the recycling items to take to the recycling centre.  I had been accumulating them for over a year and there were batteries, lamps, fluorescent tubes, printer cartridges, various bits of small(ish) electrical gear (WEEE items), such as a blood pressure monitor, an old Sky box, an egg boiler, a cordless drill, etc, to sort out.  I duly took them to the recycling centre and now there’re gone forever.  By the time that was done and we’d had a cup of tea, there was not time for another sortie to the Train Shed.  So I apologise for the fact that there are no pictures today.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Fardap

• N Gauge Society Number: 26027
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #3051 on: February 07, 2019, 08:30:42 AM »
an egg boiler

We used to call them saucepans...  :D

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3052 on: February 07, 2019, 07:10:53 PM »
Thursday is our away day.  We had planned to go to Fraisthorpe beach for a walk along the sands.  Fortunately we had a bad weather contingency plan: to go into Hull on the train.  In the event, it was a rainy day, so into Hull we went.  I did have what would have been an excellent, early running session in the Train Shed, running the next cycle (8a/b/c).  I say “what would have been” because all the trains behaved perfectly, exactly as directed.  However, the directions were a complete nonsense.  I kept stopping the train that I had just started instead of the one that should be stopped.  The result was that I had to carry out emergency stops on some trains while having to wait for others to arrive because I had to restart them again.  What an operator!  I don’t think I would be allowed into a real signal box or cab.  We had a nice trip into Hull and returned home in the afternoon. 

Yesterday my new specs video camera arrived.  I put it on charge before we went out and thought I would try it out later this afternoon.  I need to wear my reading glasses to read the dials and print, so I tried wearing the specs cam perched on top of them.  I decided to record the whole of the next operating cycle (9a/b/c).  I had a really good operating session and everything was almost perfect apart from one run-around.  But, doom and gloom, wearing the specs that high meant I didn’t actually get to record any trains.  The session lasted twenty minutes, but I recorded twenty minutes of, mainly, backscene.  I have cut out everything after the first minute, but you can see the problem. 

I have since experimented and I can fit my reading glasses inside specs camera, so tomorrow, I should be able to make a proper recording, for your delectation.  By the way, the date and time on the camera is, as you can see, wrong.  I have tried to put it right, but it is impossible to set the year to 2019, so the next video will have a 2018 date.  I have raised the issue with the manufacturer.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3053 on: February 07, 2019, 07:37:12 PM »
I’m sure that you’ll get to grips with that camera very quickly Laurence.
Anyway, a nice little video of the backscene!
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3054 on: February 08, 2019, 08:43:06 AM »
Great video's of the Union Mills arrivals, nice slow running - good luck with the spec-cam!

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3055 on: February 08, 2019, 06:46:03 PM »
Today I had a bit of an upside down morning.  Instead of an early session in the Train Shed, I concentrated on getting all the household chores done, including the monthly ones that have been hanging around for over for a week.  In addition, there has been a lot to do for U3A, what with Charities Commission updates and sorting out changes to the bank mandate.  So I didn’t get out to the Train Shed until midday.  This time, I took the specs camera and fitted it so that my reading specs were inside the lenses.  Then I ran the next timetable cycle (10a/b/c).

I filmed the whole cycle and I had to make a couple of cuts, one because ‘Eire’ had overshot its DOWN loop and had to be shunted back, mainly by hand.  The other was because 4571 refused to re-couple to its train after the run-around and, once again, had to be manually coupled.  It’s a pity, because yesterday’s session was pretty well perfect, apart from the poor camera alignment which prevented me from showing any trains.  Today, I have managed to show all the train movements, although I need to refine my filming technique considerably.  Here is the result, warts and all.

The first lesson is that I must dwell on objects and scenes much longer.  The second is that I must move my head more slowly to avoid blurring and an impression of giddiness.  Also, when I look down at the controller, I need to move my head more, otherwise the controller doesn’t come into full view.  When I am manipulating locos in the run-arounds, I need to move further into the loops so that the full movement can be easily seen.  Apart from that, I think it was OK (I don’t think).

However, I hope the video gives an impression of what it is like to run an operational timetable cycle.  The camera is a new toy and, probably, not the best in class, but I can have a go at improvement.  It worked really well when demonstrated behind the wheel of a car, because the head is looking pretty well straight ahead most of the time.  But following operations on a model railway is a whole new ball game.

There is another lesson, learned from processing and uploading.  It would be better to split the cycle into three separate videos, one for each sub-cycle.  That would reduce the time to process and upload each individual video and would make watching better, because you would not have to sit through the whole thing at a single sitting.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3056 on: February 09, 2019, 05:38:37 PM »
This morning was walking into Hessle day.  My early shift in the Train Shed consisted of fiddling with the CVs (configuration variables) for Loco 9, Jubilee Class ‘Eire’.  This is because it overshot twice yesterday.  After its previous run, I had increased the value of CV3 (the deceleration CV) from 27 to 30, but yesterday’s run demonstrated that this was too much.  So I began by reducing it back to 27 and then ran it together with 80119, to produce a clear circuit through Loops 2 and 15.  As expected, 27 proved to be too low, with the loco stopping a little short.  So I increased it to 28, which seemed to be about right, although it might stop a bit short in down Loop 15.  I think I will have to make a note to check the loops after every sub-cycle, to ensure that all the trains are parked in a ‘safe’ position.

We didn’t stop in town for coffee, but came straight home and I made coffee here.  Then, I had a lot of U3A work to do.  I spent quite a long time searching for the constitution and then it was difficult to make head or tail of it.  It consisted of four different documents, all written in courier typeface.  The reason for the search was that, at the last AGM, an amendment was passed and I needed to find out if it had been implemented.  It hadn’t.  So I made a new document and reformatted the old one, adding the revision.  Then, in the afternoon, I had to deliver a lot of single-sheet newsletters.  The result is that, once again, I didn’t get an afternoon session in the Train Shed.

Tomorrow, I will continue setting CVs while I’m on the case, so to speak.  I have allocated CVs for the two new Union Mills loco, but I haven’t recorded them.  I need to do some experimentation to get the top speed and deceleration right for the sort of semi-automatic running that I showed in yesterday’s video.  It’s really good when you can just say go to make the loco to glide away and then say stop for it to glide to a halt in the correct position.  At some time in the future, I may consider fully automating everything, although I do enjoy taking the controls.  The other drawback of full automation is that, when things go wrong, such as an unplanned loss of traction, it is much more difficult to get things back on track (?) :-[ again.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3057 on: February 10, 2019, 04:52:02 PM »
Today it was rather wet and not too warm so, instead of going for a walk, we went out to a garden centre for coffee and to buy some plants.  In fact, our river walk is not going to be available for some months because of good old Railtrack’s project that gave us a problem at New Year.  They have secured the barriers in a more substantial way now, so it is very difficult to get past.

My early session in the Train Shed this morning involved running the first part of the next cycle (11a).  I needed to run 11a before I could work on programming and testing G2 49368.  That was due to run in the following sub-cycle (11b) and running 11a first let me set up the routes for it to run round in opposition to 46443.  I had made up my mind to record 11a using my specs camera, to try and refine my filming technique.  I made an effort to do things a little more slowly and keep the camera as steady as possible.  Here’s the result.

It’s still not perfect, but I think I am improving.  At the garden centre, we bought three plants and then called in at B&Q on the way home for a couple of bags of sharp sand, to use in the garden for the re-forming project that Celia is working on currently (with support from me for the heavy lifting and digging).  In the afternoon and attacked all the climbers growing up the side wall of next door’s garage, which took some time.

I thought I would film the programming and testing session with 49368 although, in the end, I have only submitted the initial programming demonstration to YouTube because I thought that it might be a little tedious to watch all the tests and modifications to the CVs.  Here’s the initial programming using my Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance DCC02 controller.  CV6 is the mid-point setting for the speed curve.  It is important because if it is set at half the Top Voltage setting, it gives a linear acceleration and deceleration, whereas, increasing or decreasing it produces a curved response.

After the initial programming, I spent quite a long time testing the deceleration into the loops but, as with 3846, there is no way to extend the deceleration sufficiently if the Top Voltage is set to the correct value for the top speed (about 10mph to scale).  So, in the end, I had to set a high top speed and run it on throttle setting 5 (out of 28) in order to get it to run at the correct speed.  The trick then, which I developed originally for 3846, is to wind up the speed setting to maximum once the brake van has disappeared into the tunnel and then, immediately, reduce it to zero.  This gives the train a slingshot and it coasts into the loops, stopping at the correct place.

Tomorrow, when I get to 11c, I will do the same programming exercise with the J26, 65761.  I think I will complete this whole timetable run before having another go at the scenery.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3058 on: February 11, 2019, 07:08:14 PM »
Monday is table tennis day.  I managed a Train Shed session before we went.  This time, I ran the remaining two sub-cycles of cycle 11 (11b/c).  Sub-cycle 11b involved running the Union Mills G2, 49368 round from the UP loops to the DOWN loops, VERY slowly.  I have established that there are four track joints on the 2.5 miles (to scale) of a complete circuit where 49368 comes to grief.  They are all track joints and it appears that when the loco is running at low speed and the tender is over joint, the drive wheels lose traction.  I can hear the motor running and if I give the tender a slight twist, off it goes again.  At higher speeds, it seems to be able to pass the joint before it stops.  Everything else ran perfectly.
In the afternoon, the weather being fine, I had some garden jobs to perform.  Then I managed another session in the Train Shed.  Another issue I had identified from the morning’s session was that the run-in to the loops required more programming.  With the Top Voltage set too high, when I turned up the speed, wagons were liable to derail at the points.  So I spent the time carrying out some more programming to 49368.  Eventually, I reached the point where it would trundle with a speed setting of 15 (out of 28) although there was still an issue over the track joints.  I am loath to rip up track willy-nilly, but I may change a couple of points to Unifrog anyway, which will give me an opportunity to rectify a couple of the problems.  As for the other two, they are both in the loops and so it will not be too difficult to lift the track and re-lay it.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3059 on: February 12, 2019, 07:46:46 PM »
Back Story (continued)
Tuesday February 12th 1959

This morning, the local school had a Founder’s Day holiday.  Alan Cooper, the son of the local Newsagent, took his notebook and Ian Allen combined volume, down to Marton Hinmarche station early to do some train spotting.  He noted all the trains in his notebook. 

First, he saw ex-GWR Small Prairie, 5572, running bunker first, arrive at 0749 with the 0725 from Norton, running into Platform 4.  It waited in the station for two connecting trains.  The first of these was BR standard 2-6-4 Tank, 80119, running bunker first, which arrived at 0751with the 0650 from Worcester, calling at Trubshaw and Evenbury, which stopped at Platform 3.  Then, to his great excitement, 6847, Forthampton Grange, came into view at 0757 with the 0605 from Paddington, calling at Aylesbury on the way, coming to rest at Platform 2.  After a brief stop, Forthampton Grange set off at 0759 for Leamington Spa and Birmingham.  Then, at 0805, 80119 departed for Kingbury, Charlton, Long Martin and Aylesbury, followed by 5572, taking the 0808 branch passenger off to Shipton.

After nearly an hour, ex-GWR Small Prairie, 4571 arrived at 0855, pulling into Platform 4.  Then, at 0900, Ivatt mogul, 46443, arrived with the 0829 from Aylesbury, calling at Long Martin, Charlton and Kingbury stopped at Platform 2.  While both trains were waiting in the station, a return fish train, hauled by 92006, came thundering through Platform 3 on its way back to Hull for another load of fish.  At 0908, 46443 set off for Worcester, calling at Evenbury and Trubshaw.  Shortly afterwards, at 0912, 4571 departed for Norton.

Another hour passed before the branch goods arrived from Norton behind panier tank 6713 and stopped at the far end of Platform 4.  At 1004, panier tank 6417 arrived at Platform 3 with a stopping train from Evenbury.  Then, a few minutes later, a DOWN parcels train from Aylesbury arrived at the far end of Platform 2.  After quite a time, the parcels train departed, on its way to Worcester.  At 1025, 6417 set off for Kingbury.  Finally, after what seemed a long time, 6713 left, taking the branch goods on to Shipton. 

By that time, Alan decided that he would like to make his way home for dinner, although it was still quite early.  He later heard that Forthampton Grange had derailed at the point complex on the approach to Birmingham Snow Hill.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:40:22 AM by Innovationgame, Reason: Date added »
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127%