New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 151710 times)

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2700 on: September 18, 2018, 04:16:00 PM »
There's a bit of work needed on the window side of my layout too.

Any chance I can borrow your hedge cutting ladder/scaffolding, Laurence? The layout's on the first floor!  :D

Dave G
You could practise levitation.  :D

Not without a parachute!  :worried:

Dave G

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2701 on: September 18, 2018, 04:17:55 PM »

I used to do that but gave up due to ever rising costs.

Stop it, Steve!

I really don't appreciate this level of humour  :P

Dave G

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2702 on: September 18, 2018, 07:32:43 PM »

I used to do that but gave up due to ever rising costs.

Stop it, Steve!

I really don't appreciate this level of humour  :P

Dave G

Levitation is impossible.  I only wear tweed trousers.
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2703 on: September 18, 2018, 07:37:59 PM »
For this week, at least, we are back to normal.  So it was off to the gym for a swim this morning, which meant I was able to spend an early session in the Train Shed.  I lifted the sections of track to be moved and completely replaced them with two new one-yard lengths of Code 55.  I have taken to using the old-fashioned method of track fixing using Peco track pins.  This involves drilling a 0.7mm hole in the sleepers and part way into the baseboard, then fitting the pins before hammering them into secure the track.  The big advantage over using Copydex is that once the pins have been located, the large stationery pins used to align the track can be removed immediately.  I completed the new track laying during the first session.

In the afternoon, I cut the grass before returning to the Train Shed to connect up all the tracks.  After several attempts to drill holes in the baseboard to accommodate the droppers, I hit upon a method of using the original dropper holes for the power feed joiners.  This involved connecting the two adjacent sections of track together and then bringing in the droppers to connect to the bridging links.

Once I had completed all the links between track sections and points, I tested them with my multimeter to ensure there was less then 1Ω between adjacent track sections and then I tested the whole loop using 6713.  On the first attempt, 6713 stopped with its front drivers raised above the track level.  On investigation, I realised that one of the links was encroaching on the track and fouling the front end of the loco.  Then, I had a problem with the loco stopping once it passed the throat point.  It was then I realised that I hadn’t connected the droppers to Loop 3.  After that, everything was fine.

Tomorrow, I will start on Loop 4.  I will follow that with Loops 5 and 6, but I think that Loops 7 and 8 will not require realignment, but a simple improvement in the connectivity.  Then I will have to move to the open window to connect all the exit points and track sections.  This could be a long engineering session!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2704 on: September 19, 2018, 07:21:43 PM »
Before we went to the gym today, I was able to fit in a longer than usual early session in the Train Shed.  I managed to lift the whole of Loop 4 and replace it completely with two new yard lengths that overcame the need for more and one additional rail joint.  I was able to connect all the rail sections together electrically and bring droppers up through the original holes for the power rail joiner feeds.  I tested the resistance across each rail joint and even had time for a running test with 6713.  Here are the first four completed loops.

We were late back from the gym because we had quite a few errands (mainly U3A-related) to run afterwards.  In the afternoon, I decided that it was too windy to work in the garden so I had another session in the Train Shed.  This time I completed Loop 5.  Here’s the result of the afternoon’s work.

After testing I made a short video of 6417 during a running test.

I now have only Loop 6 to relocate because Loops 7 and 8 won’t require moving, although I will need to partially lift them to remove the power feed rail joiners.  I will then have to connect them electrically across the rail joints.  However, the big challenge will be the soldering through the window exercise to electrically connect all the points and short connecting sections on the loop exit matrix (if that’s the right word).  Tomorrow, we intend to go into Hull on the train so I’m not sure how much progress I will be able to make in the Train Shed.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2705 on: September 20, 2018, 06:36:20 PM »
Today, as planned, we went into Hull on the train.  Before we went, I had time for a session in the Train Shed and managed to lift and re-lay Loop 6.  But I didn’t have time to start on the electrical connections.  For those interested, we went in on a 158 bound for Scarborough and came back on a 144, which appears to be a three-car version of a 142 (bumpety-bumpety-bump).  But, to be fair, they were built as a cheap means of replacing expensive stock and they have lasted for more than thirty years.  Although Boris Johnson remarked that they were wrongly called Pacers because they are not pacey, they were, in fairness, designed for local passenger duties and have served well in that capacity.  If it is a bit like being on a bus on rails that’s exactly what it is.

Anyway, we had a successful shopping trip and something to eat and drink before we returned home.  That’s when the rain started.  We had 11.2mm in three hours, with one fifteen minute period of 2.4mm and it is still raining now, but the rain is much lighter, or it was until a few minutes ago, when it became much heavier again.  So I won’t be going down to the Train Shed again today and the electrical work on Loop 6 will have to wait until tomorrow.  Also, I will have to make some adjustments to Loops 7 and 8 after all because, to increase the radius of Loop 6 where it leaves the points complex, I have taken it much closer to Loop 7 than it was before.  I will try to remember to take a picture tomorrow to show the problem.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2706 on: September 22, 2018, 09:36:48 PM »
Today we were back to walking into Hessle to the butcher’s and for coffee.  So I managed a short early session in the Train Shed.  I connected all the tracks on Loop 8, including all the connections to the in-bound throat.  The above-board connections look like a bit of a pig’s breakfast, but I thought I might give Mick a fright by showing a picture of them.

Then it was off to the butchers.  When the butcher saw us looking at a chicken he asked “Do you fancy a chicken today?”.  I replied “You can get arrested for that”, which caused a chuckle around the shop.  After coffee, we walked home again and I prepared to do battle with the old Strawberry bed.  I have already raised the sides to the level of the other beds and it needed topping up.  I spread twelve bags of topsoil (bought) followed by two barrow loads of compost (homemade), then finished it off with twelve bags of last year’s leaf mould. 

Next year, the bed will be used to grow our cabbages.  But I needed to get it ready now because, while I was busy topping up the bed, Celia was planting thirty-eight garlic cloves in three-inch pots for next year’s crop.  They will be placed on the bed until they all have healthy shoots and then planted at the top of the bed, where the red cabbage will eventually go.  The will be planted in the ground before the winter sets in and should give us a good crop by about May, so they will be out of the ground before next year’s red cabbage are planted out.

In the afternoon (and in the evening as well) I did quite a bit of work on the U3A website.  But I managed a session in the Train Shed where I used the ‘through the window’ technique to link all the outgoing points to the loops.  Here’s another picture for Mick.

After a cup of tea, I tested all the links with my multimeter and then conducted a running test with 6713, which was running quite badly by this time, but I managed to finish all the checks.  It may be that the dirty track has caused problems.  Tomorrow, I will clean the loops and points thoroughly before hoovering up any debris.  After that, I should be able to move all the trains back again.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2707 on: September 23, 2018, 06:38:51 PM »
Today was no ordinary Sunday.  Our granddaughter was running as part of a relay team in the Hull Marathon.  She left university four years ago and has been working at the local leisure centre, initially working as a life guard, which she started to help pay her way through university, then working as a swimming teacher, receptionist and general factotum.  Last year she decided that what she really wanted to do was to be a primary school teacher, which meant another year of student loans to get her through the teaching certificate.  Fortunately, there was a local job at the end of it at a very good school and she started this term.  But, the school entered several relay teams in the marathon and she drew the longest leg for her team (or was it the shortest straw).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, we were on duty to take her to her start relay station, see her off and then pick her up again from her finish relay station.  But I did manage to get a very short session in the Train Shed before she arrived.  Overnight, I realised that I still needed to add wire links on the branch run-arounds.  There are two sets of power feed rail joiners on each leg, which means four different sections of rail are connected to the DCC bus via the joiners.  I decided that I didn’t need to lift the track and remove the droppers because with all the rail sections strapped together by wire links, there should be plenty of current capacity.  So I began tinning attachment points onto the rails.

In the afternoon, I set about picking beans and pulling a leak, parsnips and carrots.  Then, after a cup of tea, I sliced the runners and cut up the fine beans ready for tea tonight.  After that, I managed another short session in the Train Shed.  I completed tinning the rails and began fitting the straps across the rail joints.  By the time I had to finish, I had completed half of them.  Here are the straps around the ‘tail’ point that leads to the run-around headshunt. 

Tomorrow, I need to finish installing the straps before a thorough cleaning and vacuuming session.

With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #2708 on: September 23, 2018, 08:13:54 PM »
Good on her! I hope your grand-daughter had plenty of sponsors.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #2709 on: September 24, 2018, 07:49:54 AM »

Yes, and we need to know how her team did.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2710 on: September 24, 2018, 09:21:56 AM »
Luckily your pics of naked wire were so mild as to just cause a raised eyebrow, Laurence ;)
I'd beware your butcher, though. In a shop full of customers he might ask if you want a goose!

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2711 on: September 24, 2018, 12:00:55 PM »

Yes, and we need to know how her team did.
Unfortunately, the rest of the team were middle-aged teachers, but at least they finished.  They were one of about nine teams from the school, mostly made up of mums.  One person ran the whole marathon and some teams of two ran half each.  I think they raised plenty of sponsorship money.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2712 on: September 24, 2018, 07:55:43 PM »
Today we were back to table tennis again, which meant a short session in the Train Shed first thing.  I was able to solder in all the remaining links across the rail joints in the branch run-around.  After table tennis, I was supposed to pay in some money for U3A but, when I went into the banch, there was a queue right round the inside with only one cashier on duty.  Based on past experience of waits, I decided that it might take an hour to get to the till, so I aborted and we returned home.

In the afternoon, I set about the pond.  The Hessle pear tree, which overhangs the pond is now (visibly at least) devoid of pears, so I removed the netting which I had erected at the beginning of August to catch any falling pears (and stars, if they decided to fall into the pond).  After the netting was rolled up and the string tensioners were stowed, I set about cleaning the pond with a skimming net.  I removed quite a lot of blanket weed, removing all the snails (or most of them, at least) and putting them back in the pond.  Then I began scraping the bottom (not of the barrel) and I pulled up about a dozen pears that had evaded the netting, presumably bouncing in off the side.  Some of the bottom sludge was quite stinky, but there were lots of creatures in it, so I tried to put them back, where possible.  Finally, I pitched in a new barley bale to try and clear the water.  Our waterlily, which had quite a lot of flowers early on, but has had none for several weeks, has now spawned another flower.  I suppose the extreme weather may have had an effect.

After a cup of tea, I returned to the Train Shed and started by hoovering all the tracks, beginning with the running lines on the UP board and then all the tracks on the UP loops board.  Following that, I cleaned all the rails, both on the UP board and the UP loops board.  Then I had time to start moving the trains back into the UP loops.  The first three mainline trains, that had been stabled in the station for the duration of the engineering works, ran like a dream.  But when I came to move the branch trains, they were a nightmare.  In the end, I had to set the acceleration to zero in every case, which is strange considering they were run into their parking positions with normal acceleration settings.

After that, I ran 6417, with its mainline suburban train, from the DOWN loops to the UP loops.  Again, it wouldn’t run without setting the acceleration to zero.  Then it was the turn of 46443.  To begin with, it was reluctant to get going but, once it had gained momentum, it ran perfectly well.  64960, with the pick-up goods, needed a nudge to get started but, otherwise, it ran perfectly, even at its very slow speed.  At that point, I adjourned for the day, leaving the process of moving all the trains incomplete. 

I have yet to replace the screening panels which hide the UP loops from general view.  Tomorrow, I should be able to move the rest of the trains.  I think, on this occasion,
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2713 on: September 24, 2018, 09:32:10 PM »
so I removed the netting which I had erected at the beginning of August to catch any falling pears (and stars, if they decided to fall into the pond)

Regarding stars, if you caught any I hope you put them in your pocket to save for a rainy day ;)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2714 on: September 24, 2018, 09:34:39 PM »
so I removed the netting which I had erected at the beginning of August to catch any falling pears (and stars, if they decided to fall into the pond)

Regarding stars, if you caught any I hope you put them in your pocket to save for a rainy day ;)
Not too rainy or the pond will overflow
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here