!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 309788 times)

bellringer and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2640 on: August 31, 2018, 07:39:01 PM »
Today we went to the caravan, not to stay but for a flying, working visit.  But, as usual, before we went, I had a session in the Train Shed.  Things worked somewhat better today on the branch.  It wasnít perfect, but the run-arounds were much improved, albeit with 4571 running around at the (less troublesome) Shipton end.  I ran the next cycle (13a/b/c), but there was a real problem when Jubilee Class ĎEireí stopped suddenly at the final exit point of the DOWN loops (Point 25).  80119 has done this twice in the last few days and Eire also did it a few days ago.  The point has been passing trains on a daily basis for more that eighteen months without there ever having been a problem before.  But there was a bit of a give-away.  4571 failed to stop in the station and I couldnít control it.  I placed it on the program track and discovered that itís loco ID had reverted to the factory pre-set of 3, instead of 16.  I reprogrammed it and all was well.  But this suggested that there had been a short circuit at Point 25, which can sometimes transmit false instructions to decoders.  I tackled this on my next visit to the Train Shed.

Whilst at the caravan, I treated the outside of the decking rails with a mixture of boiled linseed oil and white spirit (1:2) and then started on the decking furniture.  I ran out of materials before I had finished the furniture because a second tin of linseed oil was out of stock and had to be back-ordered.  We returned home in the afternoon and immediately had a cup of tea.  Then I returned to the Train Shed.

The incident with Eire and that with 80119 were with the locos approaching from different sides of the point.  So I doctored the free blades, which I have done elsewhere with success.  Here you can see the curved free blade with a straight profile instead of a slightly curved one.

And here you can see the other free blade with a tiny negative curvature.

After that I ran the next cycle (14a/b/c) and all was well.  4571 was a bit fussy about running around at the Norton end of the branch, but much improved over the previous attempt at that end.

At last, I have finished the new, extended timetable with 6417 running an additional, local, mainline passenger when there are no movements for either the milk train or the pickup goods.  So, when I have run the last two cycles of the current timetable, I will have the excitement of changing some of the train positions in the loops and then redefining a few of the routes to allow the new timetable to work.

Iíll keep my eye open for the performance of 4571 on the dodgy rail joint to see whether or not I need to replace it.  Replacing it will be a real challenge because I will have to lift the track. complete with ballast, and then do something with the droppers.  At the moment, I have Peco power rail joiners at that joint, which means that I would have to either replace the whole 2m of track, or make some solder connections to the new rails.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2641 on: August 31, 2018, 07:46:17 PM »
Laurence.

I thought that Friday was household chores day.
I do hope that you havenít neglected your duties!

Only joking.   :D

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2642 on: August 31, 2018, 07:54:08 PM »
Laurence.

I thought that Friday was household chores day.
I do hope that you havenít neglected your duties!

Only joking.   :D

Martin
No, I did get some done today.  But we would normally have gone to the caravan yesterday.  However, the hairdressers appointments got in the way of that.  I hope to fit the rest of the chores in over the weekend.  But, MOST IMPORTANT, they mustn't get in the way of visits to the Train Shed.  :)
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2643 on: September 01, 2018, 08:49:09 PM »
Today, we returned to normality. We walked into Hessle to the butcherís and for coffee.  Celia went to the money shop and, I must say, they give very good value.  In exchange for a cheap bit of plastic they give you a handful of notes (Sterling, not musical).  As usual, before we went, I had an early session in the Train Shed.  I ran the next cycle (15a/b/c) and all was nearly well.  Forthamton Grange stuttered almost to a halt on Point 25.  It has never had a problem there before.  I gave the free blade a further tweak, but 46443, although needing a slight nudge to start from Loop 17, never batted and eyelid at Point 25.  4571 again derailed its front pony at the Ďproblemí rail joint, but nothing else has ever suffered at that point.  But its front pony derailed again in the run-around, so I think there may be a problem with the converted pony trucks.  The couplings definitely dive as they pass over the Dapol magnets.  It might be worth replacing the medium couplings on the pony trucks with short ones to see if that will alleviate the problem.  In general, the branch run-arounds were better than expected.

After our return, I picked (yet more) tomatoes and did one or two of my chores left over from yesterday, plus one or two monthly ones, as it is the start of a new month.  Later, I shovelled compost into the wheelbarrow to add to the new strawberry bed and then cut the grass, which is looking (a little) less sad than a couple of weeks ago.  After the obligatory cup of tea, I returned to the Train Shed.

I ran the final cycle of the current timetable (16a/b/c) and all was well.  Even the run-arounds were not too bad.  6713 had a really good run-around at the Norton end of the branch.  Once all the timetable runs were complete I proceeded to move the trains to their new positions for the new, extended timetable.  However, the last movement caused a problem because, when I first built the layout, I had specifically reserved Tracks 4 and 14 for freight trains to avoid contact between coaches on the adjacent tracks.  Royal Ulster Riflemanís coaches were fouled by the coaches on the adjacent tracks and so I had to return all the trains to their original positions, ready for a rethink. 

However, it didnít require too much of a rethink.  I can keep the eight re-defined routes for the extended timetable and retain the same order of running, but with all of the trains starting on their original loops, apart from 46443 and 6713, both of which start from the loops defined in the new, extended timetable.  This gives a slightly different order of running for the straight through trains.  Instead of 92006 preceding Royal Ulster Rifleman, it follows it.  That means swapping 92006 and 3846 over between Tracks 4 and 14.  Alternatively I could leave 92006 and 3846 in their current starting positions, which would mean 92006 following 3846 instead of preceding it.  Otherwise everything will run as planned. 

I now have the train movements (if any) and route re-programming to look forward to tomorrow.  I will also have to print out the new operational timetable.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2644 on: September 02, 2018, 05:32:17 PM »
Tomorrow, we are back to the boring old committee meetings again.  Which means we had to bring table tennis forward to today.  But, as usual, before we went, I had a brief session in the Train Shed.  I didnít manage to run anything, but before I went there I printed out the extended timetable and cut it to size.  The latter was necessary because I had to print it in portrait rather than landscape and A4 sheets wonít fit onto the edge of the baseboard unless I trim a bit off the bottom.  While I was there, I deleted the routes to be changed and set them up for the extended timetable.  The timetable has not been extended in length, but now includes an extra train, the local passenger hauled by 6417, which will run opposite the parcels train behind Ditcheat Manor.

After table tennis, we went to ScrewFix to pickup the additional can of boiled linseed oil that was on back order.  Once we arrived home, I picked beans and pulled some carrots and parsnips, then picked all the apples on the little James Grieve.  In the afternoon I did some housekeeping on the pea sticks that had been salvaged when I dismantled the pea bed.  Later, after a cup of tea, I returned to the Train Shed to start the new, extended timetable.  First, I had to run 46443 and 6417 round the circuit to send them to their new starting tracks.  Here they are passing each other in the station.

Once they were in position, I began the first cycle (1a/b/c).  Iím pleased to report that, apart from a small typo in the new timetable sheet which didnít affect the running, everything went according to plan.  Even the branch run-arounds were pretty good.  5572 and 6417 both needed the gentlest of prods to restart from Platform 4 but, all in all, I was very pleased with the running session. 

I will spend the next few days running all the way through the new timetable to ensure that it is completely sound.  I will need to order a proper coach for 6417 to replace the corridor (non-brake) second that it is using as a temporary stop-gap.  I will also order a couple of pairs of short Easy-Shunt couplings to see if that will improve the performance of the front pony trucks, principally the one on 4571.  Then I hope I really will be able to return to scenic work.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2645 on: September 03, 2018, 08:08:27 PM »
Today was the day of our first committee meeting of the new academic (donít laugh  :no:) year.  I had a nice running session in the Train Shed before we went, running the next cycle (2a/b/c).  It all went very well, apart from the start of Forthampton Grange. Even the branch run-arounds werenít too bad.  But Forthampton Grange stopped at the first point on the way out of the UP loops and then at the second point.  I backed it up and tried again, but this time it all ran well, so I just have to put it down to the gremlins.

In the afternoon, there was a bit of excitement (in our garden anyway) as we spotted a maintenance team on the bridge.  Previously, we have seen a team of two walking up the main cable and periodically checking anchor points using a bosunís chair.  But today, there were no less than four bosunís chairs in operation simultaneously.  This time, instead of just inspecting the anchor points, they descended over a period of an hour or two, seeming to do things to the suspension cable that they were working on as they descended.  Hereís one of them.

I took pictures of three of them, but all the pictures are similar.  During the afternoon, I picked yet more tomatoes and replenished the bird feeders (yet again).  Then I started work on dismembering the pallets that we have stored opposite the wood stacks.  I managed to complete one, using a 4lb hammer to break it apart and a mole wrench to pull out all the nails (all fifty of them).  Then it was time for a cup of tea.

After the cup of tea I returned to the Train Shed and began to run the next cycle (3a/b/c).  I had planned to run two cycles, but things conspired to upset my plans.  Apart from a bit of operator ham-fistedness, the first real problem occurred when I tried to run 46443 into UP Loop 4.  It ran into Loop 6 instead and collided with the back of the parcels train.  I checked the settings of Route 3 (for that was the one that should have sent it into Loop 4) and it seemed OK.  I tried again with the same result.  It was then that I discovered that Route 21, which brought 3846 out of Loop 4 had, somehow, been programmed to reset Point 4, sending 46443 onto the wrong half of the loops.  I deleted Route 21 and reprogrammed it, after which 46443 was then routed into Loop 4, as required.  But that wasnít the end of my woes.  You may recall that I had to abandon my first attempt at the extended timetable because of the contact between the corridor coaches in Loop 4 and those in Loop3.  Well, this time, there was contact between the suburban coaches in Loop 4 and the corridor coaches in Loop 5.

So I will either have to abandon the extended timetable or make some adjustments to the UP loops.  There is room to move Loop 6 in a little and then move Loop 5 in a little too, which should overcome the problem.  But I will have to wait until I reach a cleaning cycle where all the UP loops are vacant.

There were some branch run-around issues during this cycle and I failed to run the next cycle because I ran out of time.  At the suggestion of Grey Wolf, I have ordered some Mouldmaster Craftrock (Plaster Bandage), which might goad me into restarting my scenic work.  I need to continue testing the new, extended timetable to ensure I have removed all the bugs from it.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Fardap

• N Gauge Society Number: 26027
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #2646 on: September 04, 2018, 03:17:37 PM »
This time, instead of just inspecting the anchor points, they descended over a period of an hour or two, seeming to do things to the suspension cable that they were working on as they descended.

I did read somewhere that there were going to be more/more in depth inspections of bridges in the UK after the tragedy in Italy. Maybe that was the extras they were doing?

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2647 on: September 04, 2018, 07:24:33 PM »
Today was the day for going to the gym for a swim.  On my early shift in the Train Shed I began to run the next cycle (4a/b/c).  All the mainline trains ran well, although I had to shoehorn 46443 out of Loop 4 in a similar manner to when it entered yesterday.  However, the branch run-arounds were becoming progressively worse, so I made a decision to clean the run-around loops as soon as possible.  So, when all the trains were in the station on Sub-cycle 4c, I cleaned the Shipton run-around by shunting 5572 forwards and then back again.  I didnít have time to clean the Norton loops before it was time to go, so I left all the trains in the station until later.

After the gym, we made our obligatory weekly trip to J Sainsbury and then went home for something to eat.  There were a lot of pears down this morning, fortunately, mainly on the netting I have strung across the pond to catch them.  But I think that tomorrow, I will have to start picking pears.  They are Hessle pears and taste unbelievably good, far better than any other pear I have ever tasted.  But they donít keep, so we will have to give quite a lot of them away.  We make pears in red wine and freeze them, but there are enough damaged windfalls for that and it seems a pity to chop up perfectly good ones from the tree. 

Later I continued breaking up pallets to add to the wood stacks for next winter.  Itís quite back-breaking work so I was glad to have a rest and a cup of tea.  Then it was back to the Train Shed, where I began by cleaning the Norton Loops.  4571 was still a bit Ďiffyí there and so I gave its pick-up wheels a spot of IPA as well.  Then I finished the sub-cycle and embarked on the next cycle (5a/b/c).  Forthampton Grange stopped on the exit points from the DOWN loops again, but everything then ran well until I had to shoehorn 46443 back into Loop 4.  The run-arounds worked a little better this time and everything worked will until 45206 tried to enter Loop 8.  There it stopped and itís a good job it did, because I discovered that Point 2 was not being activated by Route 11, which sets the route into Loop8.  I checked to make sure there was nothing else causing the problem and then added it to Route 11.  That did the trick.

6417 is now quite happily running on the mainline, although it is missing its auto coach, which I still havenít ordered.  Here it is Ďplayingí with the ĎBig Trainsí in the DOWN loops.

I will try to run everything up to Cycle 8 and then see if I can clear the UP loops to adjust the alignment of Tracks 4, 5 and 6.  I think I might be able to get away with the current alignment of Loop 14 by careful positioning of the trains, but it might be as well to think about adjusting that as well.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2648 on: September 05, 2018, 07:17:32 PM »
I didnít go to the gym today because I had to wait in for a delivery.  Itís a good job I did wait in because it was a load of several heavy items and I had to carry them in from the gate.  We will be having wooden flooring laid and I needed to ensure that I could get what we wanted in plenty of time.  But oak planks do weight a lot.  Before the delivery arrived, I spent a session in the Train Shed.  After last nightís halt with 45206 entering the UP loops, I discovered a couple of track pins standing proud of the sleepers.  So I hammered them down and needed to test them this morning.  I set up the routes for 45206 to run a complete circuit, from Loop 8, along the DOWN line, through Loop 18 and back up the UP line and into Loop 8 again.  Iím pleased to report that it ran perfectly.

After that I ran the next cycle (6a/b/c) and, apart from some small hiccups with the branch run-arounds, everything ran well.  The Dapol Easy-Shunt couplings work well for uncoupling, but are sometimes reluctant to re-couple, probably because the run-arounds involve fairly tight curves where the coupling is supposed to happen.  I hope that, when I acquire some short couplings, they will couple better, apart from improving the running over magnets and rail joints.  6713 is no problem, but the front pony trucks of the small prairies, particularly that of 4571, tend to be troublesome.

In the afternoon, I had an opticianís appointment, as a result of a letter which I had not expected.  Apparently, when I went last year, a very small amount of cataract was detected, so they have changed my frequency to once a year from every other year.  Iím pleased to report that there was no change in anything so I will be alright for another year (hopefully for many years to come).  When I returned home, we had a cup of tea and then I repaired to the Train Shed again.

This time, a ran the next TWO cycles (7a/b/c and 8a/b/c).  Iím pleased to report that, again apart from some hiccups in the branch run-arounds, it all went pretty smoothly, although 64960 did stop as it entered the UP loops with the pickup goods.  It is a joy when I am able to twiddle the controls and all the trains behave as expected.  The rotary knob on the walkaround is still unpredictable, so I might buy another one and then try sending this one back to Gaugemaster.  If that doesnít work, I will consider replacing it with something like a Lenz.

I have now reached a point where I can, with a little jiggery-pokery, run all the trains out of the UP loops and try to realign Loops 5 and 6 to prevent contact between 46443ís suburban coaches and Cranmore Hallís coaches.  So that will be my next task.  I do want to get on with the scenery, but I consider smooth operations to be more important.  Once I am happy with the operations, the scenic work will take precedence.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #2649 on: September 05, 2018, 07:58:51 PM »

In the afternoon, I had an opticianís appointment, as a result of a letter which I had not expected.

Thought you were going to say "which I had not seen".  :D    (Sorry!)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #2650 on: September 05, 2018, 09:07:48 PM »
You seem to be getting the better of the running nowadays Laurence, that track cleaning seems to pay dividends. Regarding temperature affecting running, on my layout in the loft I found it was affecting me more than the railway....lol.  Love the nice warm weather but that loft was unbearable with the heat. I still think that some extra feeds would solve the rest of your problems.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2651 on: September 05, 2018, 09:36:14 PM »
I still think that some extra feeds would solve the rest of your problems.

There was me thinking Laurence seems to eat quite well with all his home grown produce :confused2:

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2652 on: September 06, 2018, 07:39:39 AM »
I still think that some extra feeds would solve the rest of your problems.
One of the issues may be the resistance of the tiny plugs and sockets I have used for inter-board connection of the DCC bus.  This may be responsible for some of the odd behaviour that is possibly associated with the Gaugemaster controller.  I plan (at some future date) to replace them with much heavier duty connections.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #2653 on: September 06, 2018, 10:01:05 AM »
My layout is of a modular design and I have used banana plugs to connect each board. You can buy them cheaply enough from Rapid electronics,they are also available in various colours and matching sockets.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2654 on: September 06, 2018, 09:21:54 PM »
Today was the big day for re-aligning the UP loops.  We didnít have a day out because the U3A Opera group now meets here on the first Thursday of the month.  Instead, I began with a session in the Train Shed where I cleared all the UP loops ready for the engineering work. 

While moving trains around, I discovered a problem thatís probably always existed and is likely to be more widespread than I imagined.  80119 suddenly stopped on one of the exit points from the DOWN loops.  I tried it several times without any luck.  When I measured the voltage across the stock rails, it was OK without the loco, but fell to a fraction of a volt with the loco on the point.  So I am getting high resistance across the rail joiners there and, probably, at all four loop throat complexes.  This the point in question.

The big problem is that there is a very short piece of track connecting consecutive points together.  I effected a temporary repair by pinching the rail joiners together.  Fitting droppers to every point and every connecting section would involve an extra sixty pairs of droppers, just for the throats alone.  But, because they are Ďhiddení loops, I should be able to get away with hard wired connections above board level.

After the first session, we had a cup of coffee and then I started on some of my weekly jobs, scheduled for tomorrow.  Then I managed another session in the Train Shed, when I managed to complete the reconfiguration of the geography of Loops 5, 6 and 7, although I had t have two or three goes at them after testing with two corrido coaches for touching all the way round.  Then it was time for something to eat.  Freshly picked sweet corn was a nice treat.  There will be a few more cobs, but then I have to pull up the plants to prepare the raised bed for next year.

I had one final session in the Train Shed before the visitors arrived for the opera group and I ran all the trains back into the UP loops ready for a fresh start tomorrow.  I hope I have made enough room for the coaches to pass in anger.

Later, I received a package in the post.  It was the Craft Rock plaster bandage, which I hope to put to use in the near future.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58%