!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 170064 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2625 on: August 26, 2018, 09:10:12 AM »
I agree. The Dapol Collett autocoaches are much cheaper than the later Graham Farish BR / Hawksworth ones. Autocoaches were used on just such mainline infill local passenger duties between Malvern-Worcester/Worcester-Evesham so would be appropriate and make a change from BR Suburban coaches. I'd recommend buying a pair; one in BR Crimson & Cream and one in BR Lined Maroon.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2626 on: August 26, 2018, 03:07:13 PM »
The problem is that 6417 won't run in reverse, so an auto coach wouldn't really work.  I'll have to think things through.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2627 on: August 26, 2018, 05:17:45 PM »
If I were to run 6417 with two auto coaches, would it be acceptable to run the loco sandwiched between the two coaches?  That way I could justify them.  Otherwise, where would the driving cab end go on the coach immediatley behind the loco?
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2628 on: August 26, 2018, 05:20:51 PM »
If I were to run 6417 with two auto coaches, would it be acceptable to run the loco sandwiched between the two coaches?  That way I could justify them.

Absolutely no problem.

Otherwise, where would the driving cab end go on the coach immediatley behind the loco?

The driving end of the autocoach is furthest away from the loco

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2629 on: August 27, 2018, 08:07:34 AM »
I managed a few more minutes in the Train Shed first thing this morning.  I ran 6417 round a few times with stops and adjusted the acceleration and deceleration to suit mainline running, as opposed to branch running.  The main difference is for deceleration because the run-in distances into the hidden loops and into the platforms are much longer than for branch running.  I also added the couplings to the NEM pockets (except for the skeleton).

They are now ready to be fitted to 5572 and its ĎBí set.  The coupling will be added to the skeleton once I have added the wheels and pivot, but I canít do that until I have replaced one of the pony trucks on 5572 to release the wheels and pivot from the original pony truck.  The dodgy bogie fitment was still a bit dodgy this morning, so I have given it another dose of Liquid Poly.  The problem is that there is only a very small contact area between the pocket and the bogey frame, but I think it will be all right on the night.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2630 on: August 27, 2018, 07:04:34 PM »
Our visitors have gone.  After a cup of coffee, we went for a short walk to post some letters and get some fresh air.  Although we went into Hull yesterday, we spent the time in the Ferens Art Gallery and the Maritime Museum, so we didnít get any fresh air.  By the time we had finished it was raining, so the rest of the day was spent indoors.  After our walk, I managed to get some jobs done in the garden, despite one or two very light showers.  Later, I was able to manage another session in the Train Shed. 

This time I swapped the outer bogies on the ĎBí set, replacing the existing ones with the two fitted with NEM pockets and Easy-Shunt couplings.  Then I replaced the bunker end pony on 5572 with the complete one that I had made with the NEM pocket and Easy-Shunt coupling.  I removed the wheels and pivot pin from the one I had just replaced and fitted them to the skeleton that was awaiting them.  However, when I fitted the wheels, the force necessary to push the wheels into the housing was sufficient to snap off the NEM pocket, so I couldnít swap it until the new joint had hardened.  However, I was able to test the bunker-end coupling for uncoupling and coupling with the Dapol magnet and it was fine. 

While this was going on, I ran 6417 round the circuit and into Loop 18 to allow me to run the next cycle (5a/b/c).  5572 ran nicely during 5a and after 5b, was due to run around ready for its return run.  It this stage, I risked fitting the new pony truck to the front and it was fine (phew!).  Then I ran it around the train and coupled it up ready for its next run.  Hereís a picture of 5572, together with its ĎBí set, complete with new couplings.

During the running, I did find one or two issues with blank spots on the track, so Iíll have to keep an eye on that during the rest of the remaining timetable runs.  I am about half way through writing the new, extended timetable with 6417 built into the running schedule.  I hope that, by the time I have finished running the current one, I will be in a position to implement the new timetable.  My original plan, when I began work on construction, was to run four intermediate passenger trains, two non-stop expresses, two suburban passenger trains, two non-stop, long-distance freight trains, the milk train and pick up goods plus a branch passenger train, making a total of thirteen trains.  However, it was some time before I had enough locomotives to do that because I couldnít obtain everything I needed to give me the variety I wanted.  But, over the course of time, my fleet has expanded and the new, extended timetable will increase the number of running trains to seventeen (although not all running at the same time).

With any luck, I will be able to motivate myself to get on with the scenery at some time in the near future.  I must say that the idea of a table-top railway does have its appeal!  I think I will need a more robust technique for constructing trees.  I have found the Seafoam ones to be easily damaged and readily destructible on the tunnels and think Iíll take a leaf out of Rodgerís book and try twisted wires.  But first, I need to decide how I am going to continue with the terraforming.  I really donít have any idea at the moment, so Iíll probably just blunder on, hoping to reach a satisfactory result in the end.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2631 on: August 28, 2018, 07:54:54 AM »
You may find it helpful to try out various contours using foil as a test for your ideas.

I did this, using the heavy Celotex foil, as it holds its shape and can be used as a template or base for the permanent structure. A bit cheaper than possibly wasting Shaper Sheet should the plan change.

Dave G

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2632 on: August 28, 2018, 07:14:39 PM »
Today, we were back to the gym again, in my case for a swim.  Which left plenty of time for an early morning session in the Train Shed.  I ran the next cycle (6a/b/c) and everything out on the running lines worked well, apart from an aberration on my part when I ran 6417 into Loop 8, forgetting that the milk train was already there.  So I had to literally pick it up and return it to the branch sidings.  The branch run-arounds were less convincing and 5572 had a real problem.  I found that its front coupling was too low and the Easy-Shunt coupling activation bar kept sticking on the run-around Dapol uncoupling magnet.  After some investigation, I decided that it was at too low an angle and the pony truck kicked down, allowing the coupling to foul the magnet.

I swapped the pony truck with the rear one and that one worked perfectly on the front, but the faulty one had the same problem under the bunker.  I decided to try the pivot pin from the old coupling that I had previously removed but, when inserting the replacement pivot pin, I broke off the NEM pocket from the pony truck.  At that point I ran out of time. 

After the gym, it was J Sainsbury and then something to eat.  In the afternoon, I stripped the pea bed, removing all the contractorís orange safety fencing that I use as pea supports.  It also serves as a deterrent to would-be pea shoot eating birds.  I also picked all the sweet corn cobs that appeared to be on the point of drying up.

Later on, I had another session in the Train Shed.  Because the 5572 was using the bunker coupling on the next run, I substituted the old front pony truck for now while I tried to repair the broken one.  Before I tried to refit the NEM pocket, I filed a tiny bit off the joint on both sides, to encourage the coupling to point upwards by one or two degrees.  Here it is after the repair.

I have not tried to refit the coupling for now.  I will wait until morning, when the bond should be stronger.  Hopefully, the repair will prevent the coupling from fouling the magnet again.  I still havenít started any scenic work, but I am thinking about it (honestly!).
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline ASFC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22622
    • Awards
« Reply #2633 on: August 28, 2018, 11:39:29 PM »
When I did what you are doing with the NEM boxes a couple of years ago (in my case some older Farish Mk1s) I used a two part epoxy resin as liquid poly cement simply never held, and just fell off at the slightest touch.

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2634 on: August 29, 2018, 06:47:24 AM »
When I did what you are doing with the NEM boxes a couple of years ago (in my case some older Farish Mk1s) I used a two part epoxy resin as liquid poly cement simply never held, and just fell off at the slightest touch.
Yes, most people seem to have used epoxy or superglue.  I've found the Liquid Poly OK in general, but I used too much force trying to push the pivot pin through the hole.  In some ways, it's a good job I can break the joint becasue it allowed me to change the angle a little.  I'll see how the new alignment goes, but I will always have the option to rebreak the joint and change the angle again, if necessary.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2635 on: August 29, 2018, 07:46:58 PM »
Today was a good news/bad news day.  We went to the gym, as usual but, before that, I had a good session in the Train Shed.  The good news is that the repaired pony truck works a treat.  The bad news is that all the replacement pony trucks have an increased tendency to derail, so I may need to think about an alternative strategy for running around.  Also, the branch run-arounds werenít very good.  There was a lot of stopping and hesitation, so I determined to give both run-arounds a good clean in my next session.

I ran the next two cycles (7a/b/c and 8a/b/c).  The mainline and branch runs through the station were pretty good, although I did make a couple of operator errors, mainly because the controller is playing up and the rotary knob sometimes fails to change the speed setting of a loco.  This means that a loco may not begin to slow down in the right place, so I started pressing the reverse button before twiddling the knob.  However, on a couple of occasions, I pressed the emergency stop button by mistake so completely ruining the running sequence.  This unreliability of the speed control knob seems to be a perennial problem with my Gaugemaster DCC02 controller, so I may need to think about buying a different controller at some future date. 

After the Gym and something to eat, I set about cutting the remaining hedge at the bottom of the garden.  By the time I had cut it and cleared up (after a fashion) I needed a cup of tea.  Then I had time for another session in the Train Shed.  Before I began the next cycle, I thoroughly cleaned the Norton branch run-around using eight passes of clean card.  The cards became very dirty, but with each clean, they became less dirty.

The first two passes are on the left and the final two on the right.  As you can see, the first two pieces of card were very badly soiled, but the deposits became less with time.  The effect was to make the Norton run-arounds much smoother.  Then I ran the next cycle (9a/b/c) followed by a repeat cleaning of the run-arounds, this time at the Shipton end.

I have been thinking of an alternative strategy for run-arounds in case the pony truck derailments continue.  One possibility would be to buy four new (original) pony trucks and make an uncoupling ramp for the couplings.  I began experimenting, making a ramp out of layers of 0.5mm Plasticard.

The ramp was made by using decreasing lengths of Plasticard and then filing the ramp surface to make it as smooth as possible.  It wasnít entirely successful, but I have some 3mm thick plastic that I can file down to see if that will make a better job of it.  One of the problems is that different coupling types have different length descenders so it might not be possible to make a satisfactory ramp.  But I will keep trying until I reach a decision as to the viability of the solution.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2636 on: August 29, 2018, 08:47:08 PM »
If Gaugemaster have a lifetime warranty why not have a word with them and try a replacement first, Laurence?

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2637 on: August 30, 2018, 08:24:00 PM »
Today we went to the hairdressers and then out for a short excursion.  Before I went for my haircut, I managed a session in the Train Shed running the next cycle (10a/b/c).  Branch termini operations were very frustrating this morning, particularly at the Norton terminus.  Considering that I cleaned the track thoroughly yesterday and things seemed to be going well thereafter, nothing would run properly this morning.  5572 needed a LOT of encouragement to get it out of the Norton loops, but then ran well, including a good run-around at the Shipton end.  4571 also needed some encouragement to get started from the Shipton loops and another nudge to start from Platform 4.  6713 had great difficulty running around in the Norton loops, but then ran faultlessly during its trip to Shipton.  Finally, 4571 had terrible trouble running around in the Norton loops again.  I even re-cleaned the track using IPA this time, which led to some improvement.  The temperature was below 14C, which may have been a contributory factor. 

On the mainline, everything ran well, apart from 80119 stopping suddenly on the final exit point from the DOWN loops.  Nothing I did would get it started.  Finally I took my multimeter to it to see if there was voltage across the rails but, just before I deployed the probes, 80119 suddenly burst into life again.  Very Strange!  Then, as it entered the UP loops at the end of its run, there was a short circuit and everything stopped.  I checked the loco, but it was OK.  Then I noticed that one of the coach bogies had taken the wrong exit from a set of points, causing the short circuit.  I put it back on the track and everything was alright thereafter. 

After our excursion, we had the obligatory cup of tea and then I had another session in the Train Shed.  This time the temperature was 23.5C and things ran considerably better on the branch.  I ran two cycles (11a/b/c and 12a/b/c).  In general, 5572 ran pretty well, even running around without too much trouble, although the Norton run-around was a bit problematical to start with.  I cleaned the track again and that improved things.  4571 seems to be the worst affected and is now objecting to several rail joints, including the front pony derailing at one in particular. 

The joint looks a little mangled now, but thatís mainly because I have been manipulating it with a pair of bent-nosed pliers to try to prevent the derailments.  5572 has no problem with the joint and 4571 used to cross it without issue until I replaced the coupling on the front pony truck.  If I canít cure the problem I may have to lift that whole run of track and replace it.

6713 had a little trouble running around at the Norton end, but it was generally OK.  However, itís almost deja vu.  When I first started running 9744 and 6417 on the branch they behaved impeccably.  But after a while they began to play up.  The same seems to be happening with the three new branch locos.  However, the branch run-arounds have considerably more traffic than the mainline loops.  Each mainline loop has a total of, at most, eight arrivals and eight departures in the whole timetable, whereas each leg of the branch loops has twelve arrivals and twelve departures plus twenty four complete run-arounds.  Iím sure the problem, particularly at the Norton end, was caused by poor track contact because if I pressed down on a stalled loco, decreasing the contact resistance, it began to run again but stopped when I let go.  I may have to persevere with track cleaning and, perhaps, wheel cleaning.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2638 on: August 30, 2018, 08:52:09 PM »
Laurence

Many thanks for the fascinating updates.

I've never found that room temperature has influenced running.  It normally is in the 10-20 degree centigrade range.  During that lovely weather it got a good bit hotter, though.

I have mentioned this before, I know, but I wonder about your controller.  It is the 'common factor' if you like.  If there is something a tad dodgy with it from time to time, that might explain the gremlins, various, that appear to afflict you more than you deserve.

Yes, I should certainly replace that stretch of track if I were you.

With regard to wheel cleaning - there is little point in cleaning the track if one doesn't clean the wheels.  My Union Mills locomotives are a doddle - the wheel sets drop out just like with big engines - but the rolling stock requires a degree of commitment and Eric Coates on the gramophone.

With all best wishes and Happy New Haircut!

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2639 on: August 30, 2018, 09:14:54 PM »
I wonder whether you have enough power feeds to the track, Laurence, as DCC locos. are more sensitive than DC ones, I've read.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything