!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 226685 times)

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2595 on: August 18, 2018, 07:59:07 AM »
'Today was domestic chores day.  More importantly, the gas man cometh (but I didn’t request it for a Monday morning!).'

Oh! It all makes work for the working man to do!  :whistle:

It will be interesting to see how well your new Unifrog points perform, not that I'll be swapping out the goodness knows how many Electrofrogs there are on Hurst Hill.

Dave G

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2596 on: August 18, 2018, 07:39:13 PM »
Today is the day we walk into Hessle to the butchers and, on this occasion, to Boots the greengrocer’s and Specsavers.  But, before we went, I was able to run the next cycle (14a/b/c).  Once again everything ran smoothly, apart from operator errors and 4571 stuttering a bit during the run-around.  64960 ran well, although the drivers are still prone to locking up from time to time.  When I returned from the Train Shed, a package had arrived for me.  It turned out to be the Dapol ‘B’ set bogies I had ordered from Rails of Sheffield. 

After we returned home I got the car out of the garage and we went off to Beverley to collect the spice rack which we had made to match our kitchen table.  By the time we arrived home, it was time for something to eat.  Then I raised the sides of the old strawberry bed, ready for its return to the normal rotation.  My raised beds normally have sides 300mm high, comprising two boards each 150mm wide.  But, for the strawberry bed, I removed the top ones to allow more air to the strawberry plants.  So I needed to put the top planks back again.  Then I set about picking peas and beans, etc, etc.  After a cup of tea, I returned to the Train Shed and began to modify coach bogies to take NEM pockets.  First, I filed away (into the filing system, not with a :censored: file) the new Dapol bogies and started on the Farish Mk 1 bogies.  Here is one before I began to modify it.

I began by cutting away the housing for the Rapido-type coupling. 

Then I filed (this time using a six inch engineer’s file with a safe edge) the vertical surface at the back of the coupling to make sure it was reasonably flat.  I tested the fit of the NEM outer pocket before fixing it into place.  As with the prairie pony truck couplings, I used Humbrol Liquid Poly to secure the pocket.  I began by coating the remaining back surface of the original coupling and the ends of the side supports.  After it was reasonably secure, I coated the edges of the joins with more Liquid Poly to reinforce the joins.  The paper under the bogie is to prevent the Liquid Poly from making a join between the cutting mat and the bogie. 

I completed the second bogie and then fitted the NEM inner pockets.  Here are the two bogies ready for installation.

So tomorrow, I should be able to swap the pony trucks on 4571 and swap over the bogies on the Farish suburban brake second.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2597 on: August 18, 2018, 07:42:55 PM »
It will be interesting to see how well your new Unifrog points perform, not that I'll be swapping out the goodness knows how many Electrofrogs there are on Hurst Hill.

Dave G
I'm not sure when I will test them out for real.  I have 46 points, although twelve of them are curved and I can't use Unifrogs there.  The main targets are on the branch, where there are eight points that could be replaced, but I'll wait until I really need to replace one before I go ahead.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2598 on: August 19, 2018, 05:27:55 PM »
Sunday is our going for a walk first thing day.  Rain was forecast for today, but each time I looked at the forecast it was predicted later and later and the duration less and less.  So we were able to have a walk in the dry.  Before we went, I had another early morning operating session in the Train Shed.  I ran the next cycle (15a/b/c) and there were some incidents.  First Forthampton grange refused to restart from Platform 3 and needed a bit of a nudge to get it going again.  The next problem actually occurred yesterday and lay in wait overnight to ambush me today.  When I ran 64960 out of the goods depot yesterday, I forgot to reset Route 29 to ensure that all the through lines in the station were set to ‘straight through’.  As a result, when 80119 reached Point 36 there was a short circuit and everything stopped.  Fortunately, Forthampton Grange had already reached its storage loop and was quite safe.  5572 had hardly started from Platform 4 so it was just a question of sliding 80119 back far enough to remove the short and reset the route.  Then I was able to restart 80119 and 5572.  80119 arrived in its storage loop safely, but 5572 caused another short circuit when it reached Point 8 at the entrance to the Norton run-around.  On inspection, it was clear that the front pony had become derailed and bridged across between the free switch blade and the stock rail.  After the required corrective action, it ran safely home.  Finally, 6713 had one of two stalls at the beginning of its Shipton run-around.  Everything else was fine.

After the walk, I put up the spice rack that we had brought home yesterday.  Then I attacked the peas and beans that I had picked yesterday.  I had a few garden jobs to do but, later, I managed another session in the Train Shed.  This time I started to fit the couplings that I had converted.  The first prairie pony that I had completed simply fitted where the original had been without a problem.  However, the second one broke when I tried to fit the axle from the one that I had just removed.  I checked the coach bogies with a good tweak and they broke also.  So it was (almost) back to square one.  This time I gave them plenty of Liquid Poly and several additional applications across the joints once they were held fast.  That seemed to do the trick and I was able to fit them all and get 4571 working again.

However, I discovered that there is an art to setting the Easy-Shunt couplings to get them to work correctly.  It was a question of making sure them operating levers were at the right angle and height relative to the rest of the coupling.  The latter is achieved by easing them up or down with a pair of tweezers.  I also noticed that the coupling on the front pony truck tended to droop a bit.  I’m not sure why.  I can’t see anything different about it.  I also found that the brake end of coach would not couple reliably to the front pony, but both ends worked fine with the coach reversed.

I also fitted the new magnets.  This meant cutting away seven sleepers.

I also found that the magnets protruded too much above the sleepers and had to remove the cork underlay beneath them to ensure safe passage of the locos.

Eventually, I fitted all four, two at the Norton run-around and two, shown here, at the Shipton run-around.

My next task will be to convert the next two pony trucks and then the Dapol ‘B’ set couplings.  Before I complete that task, however, I will need to order some more Easy-Shunt couplings.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline GreyWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #2599 on: August 19, 2018, 07:43:52 PM »
Nice clean and precise work!  :thumbsup:
Could I please ask where did you get the magnets from Laurence?

Cheers  :beers:

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2600 on: August 19, 2018, 07:58:20 PM »
Nice clean and precise work!  :thumbsup:
Could I please ask where did you get the magnets from Laurence?

Cheers  :beers:
They are standard Dapol magnets.  You can get them from Hatons or Rails of Sheffield.  I think Hattons postage rates might be better for Switzerland.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2601 on: August 19, 2018, 08:08:26 PM »
Good evening, Laurence, is Liquid Poly a type of super glue? I would use an ordinary (not the super strong version that glues flesh together) Super Clue for this sort of materials glueing.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2602 on: August 19, 2018, 08:14:58 PM »
Good evening, Laurence, is Liquid Poly a type of super glue? I would use an ordinary (not the super strong version that glues flesh together) Super Clue for this sort of materials glueing.
Humbrol Liquid Poly is a plastic solvent.  It works just like plastic cement, but is much easier to use.  Basically, it melts some of the plastic surface, so if you join two pieces of plastic together after painting the surface of one with Liquid Poly, they fuse together as a singe piece of plastic.  I expect that it works better with some plastics than others.  Ideally, it is used for polystyrene, and it certainly doesn't work for EPS, which just melts into holes.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+88)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2603 on: August 19, 2018, 09:36:52 PM »

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2604 on: August 20, 2018, 06:41:32 AM »
Hi Laurence,
Maybe the gauge in this Dapol pack would help setting heights etc of the easi shunts? Seems a versatile tool.
I already have the gauge.  The drooping coupling has its NEM pocket at the correct height, but the Easy Shunt just seems to droop a bit.  Maybe I should swap it for another.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2605 on: August 20, 2018, 12:38:14 PM »
Hi Laurence,
Maybe the gauge in this Dapol pack would help setting heights etc of the easi shunts? Seems a versatile tool.
I already have the gauge.  The drooping coupling has its NEM pocket at the correct height, but the Easy Shunt just seems to droop a bit.  Maybe I should swap it for another.
I checked them on the gauge today and they are a bit low.  The problem is that they only just clear under the buffer beams, so it is impossible to raise them any more.  I'll have to see if I can figure a way out.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Black Sheep

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2606 on: August 20, 2018, 03:48:59 PM »
As your layout runs to a sequence of timetables, have you thought about computer control and automation at all?
Or is your enjoyment from operating with direction from the timetable and so automation would be counterproductive to this?

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2607 on: August 20, 2018, 03:54:51 PM »
As your layout runs to a sequence of timetables, have you thought about computer control and automation at all?
Or is your enjoyment from operating with direction from the timetable and so automation would be counterproductive to this?
Yes, computer control was always my intention in the long term.  However, I need to ensure the running reliability is up to scratch, otherwise it could mean repeated intervention on my part, which sort of defeats the objective.  Of course the next question would be, what sort of computer control.  I could write the whole thing in FORTRAN, but I would then need to interface that with the DCC system. I would probably need to buy a different DCC controller, because I don't think my Gaugemaster has an interface.  But thanks for the suggestion.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Drakken

• Building Llanrumney
    • Awards
« Reply #2608 on: August 20, 2018, 04:07:41 PM »
I literally have no idea about this sort of stuff but while just wanting to test reliability would something like this be possibly useful?

There's probably better options on the same thing out there but a timer instead?

Sorry if useless

http://www.trainelectronics.com/AnimationTimer/article_Part_I.htm

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2609 on: August 20, 2018, 08:10:09 PM »
Monday is table tennis day.  Before we went, I had an early session in the Train Shed.  This was to be my last running session before a mammoth deep clean.  I ran the last cycle (16a/b/c).  80119 had a sudden halt on its outrun, so sudden that, at first, I thought there had been a short circuit.  However, it began to pick up again on its own, so I suppose it must have been a dirty spot on the track.  After that, there were no issues on the mainlines and only slight ones at the branch run-arounds.  The worst problem was the rear pony on 4571, which derailed in the Norton loops while running around.  It may have had something to do with the new coupling, so I need to investigate.

After table tennis, I helped Celia with manhandling and emptying some very large, very heavy plant pots.  In the afternoon, I cut the grass.  Even if I wanted to call it a lawn, it certainly isn’t one at the moment.  The bit that’s supposed to be a lawn is a patchwork of bare patches and perennial weeds, interspersed with some grass.  The grass between the raised beds was long, lank, wet and very difficult to cut.  So, the whole operation took the best part of two hours.

While we had a cup of tea, I began to write this up on my new laptop.  But I had a problem when I saved it.  Both my PC and my laptop have Dropbox installed but, when I saved the laptop version of the file, it wouldn’t update Dropbox.  Eventually I had to call up the original version via Dropbox and open it with Word Online, then copy the new material from the laptop file and paste it into the online version and save it.  It still took some time for things to settle down but, in the end, it all turned out alright.

I then had another session in the Train Shed.  First, I checked the new Easy-Shunt couplings.  I found that the ones on the coach bogies are also too low but, again, they cannot be raised because there is no room below the buffer beam.  Then I began to clean the track.  I cleaned the down-leg board.  First, I cleaned the DOWN main three times using IPA and card.  Then I cleaned it with a Peco track rubber, carefully cleaning the surface of the rubber beforehand with sandpaper.  It was black after I had cleaned it.  Then I had another couple of cleans with the IPA and card.  It is noticeable that every time the track is cleaned the same marks appear on the card.  I can only suggest that they are caused by a microscopic layer of metal rubbing off the tops of the rails and being deposited on the card.  It seems that no matter how many times the track is cleaned, the residue still appears.  After that, I cleaned the UP main and the branch. 

I also investigated the Dapol conversion tool.  There is a handy template on it to check the angle of the operating pin.  Once you know the correct angle, other couplings can be corrected by eye.  There is also one for pin height.  Given that the couplings are lower that they are supposed to be, I have simply raised the height of the pin to the maximum, which seems to work pretty well.

Tomorrow, it will be on with the track cleaning, making several passes at each stretch of track.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575%