!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 169831 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2550 on: August 01, 2018, 08:31:42 PM »
Laurence - in yesterday's post you stated you'd be using a disk cutter on the magnet and today it was 'broke the magnet in half'.
Can I ask if you used the disk cutter and, if so, was it an easy job please?

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2551 on: August 01, 2018, 08:37:56 PM »
Laurence - in yesterday's post you stated you'd be using a disk cutter on the magnet and today it was 'broke the magnet in half'.
Can I ask if you used the disk cutter and, if so, was it an easy job please?
I clamped one end of the magnet in a hand vice and tried cutting it with both the disc cutter and a razor saw.  Neither would touch it so, in the end, I just snapped it off, hence it didn't break along the centre line.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2552 on: August 01, 2018, 08:45:31 PM »
Thanks for the quick response, Laurence. I have lifted the quotes below from a thread about the Dapol magnets so maybe @BobB and @crepello  could advise what they used to halve the magnets.

I have the feeling that messing about with different sizes of magnets is defeating the (for me at least) simplicity of the system. I use the Dapol magnets cut in half and simply glue them in place having removed four sleepers (peco track). They can be covered in ballast if you want to but best to have some kind if indicator where they are if you do. If American outline stock is used, the magnets still work but they need to be set just below rail height. The whole concept of plug in the coupler and glue the magnet is great for those of us who don't need any more of life's complications. Having said that, if the exhibitors are not busy, very interesting discussions about the layout's technicalities can be educational and interesting.........

Agree totally Bob. I cut the Dapol magnets in half (think I removed 6 or 7 code 55 sleepers with a disc cutter in a mini-drill) and Araldited the magnets to the trackbed; I covered them with Woodland Scenics ballast (Evo-Stik on the magnets, then topped up with PVA on and around the magnets. Small white dots on the sleepers show where they are when stock is over them. Works a treat.

Offline Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #2553 on: August 02, 2018, 08:00:58 PM »
When I thought about cutting magnets in half I just scored across the magnet with an old craft knife and it snapped on score.  I decided that the halved Dapol ones were too short to provide reliable automatic uncoupling although the much longer Microtrains version worked ok when cut in half.

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2554 on: August 02, 2018, 08:22:21 PM »
When I thought about cutting magnets in half I just scored across the magnet with an old craft knife and it snapped on score.  I decided that the halved Dapol ones were too short to provide reliable automatic uncoupling although the much longer Microtrains version worked ok when cut in half.
Thanks Caz.  I've tested the half Dapol ones and they seem to work OK.  Because they are polorized laterally, the length (up to a point) doesn't seem to make any difference.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #2555 on: August 02, 2018, 08:25:32 PM »
I use Train Controller to do automatic uncoupling and need the extra length to ensure reliable uncoupling, if you are doing old fashioned "eyeball" uncoupling I guess they'd work fine.

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2556 on: August 02, 2018, 09:16:50 PM »
Today, we really did go to the caravan.  But before we went, I had a short running session in the Train Shed.  And, even before that, I ascertained that it’s possible to but pony trucks for the 45XX brigade.  I have ordered one complete and a bare skeleton.  I will then be able to experiment on them and, if I manage to get one converted successfully, I will be able to swap it with one of the pony trucks on one of the locos.

The running session was bit mixed.  80119 required the slightest of nudges to get it started from the UP loops and 45572 ‘Eire’ required a bigger nudge.  But worse was to come.  When Eire reach its first trailing point, Point 17, it suddenly stopped with a jolt.  I tried it again with the same result.  I tried cleaning the point, but without any improvement.  Finally, Eire exited the loops and the rest of the sub-cycle ran without a hitch.  This is the first time Eire has started from Loop 15; it has always exited Loop 13 using the old timetable.  I have a recollection that Point 17 has caused similar problems before with other locos.  Indeed, I am not convinced that Peco Code 55 points are not blameless in general.  I suspect that the check rails protrude above the level of the stock rails, but this is something I will have to investigate.

The next sub-cycle (13b) ran flawlessly but the next was troublesome once again because of Route 27.  For some reason, when I reprogrammed Route 27 yesterday, I must have missed out Point 13.  The result was that the poor parcels train once again fell foul to a short circuit because the trailing points were set against it.  Once again, while trying to retrieve the situation, I managed to derail the whole of the parcels train.  But eventually, I managed to add in Point 13 and the parcels train ran well thereafter.  But I seem to have switched Point 3 during the course of my activities (I think I might have set the wrong route to reset the station crossovers after the milk train departed).  The result was that 45206 almost ran into the back of 46443’s local passenger train.  More remedial work was required.

Then it was off to the caravan for a lot of work on the decking railings.  There was good news and bad news here.  The good news was that it took me a lot less time than I had allowed.  The bad news is that I had underestimated the materials, so we will have to make another ‘decking visit’, but that might have to wait until the Autumn.  But it did mean we were able to return home by 1700.  Once all the bits and pieces were sorted, I discovered that 6713 had arrived in the post.  So, after a cup of tea, I was able to return to the Train Shed to commission it.

I set the Start Voltage (CV2) to 5, the Acceleration (CV3) to 50, deceleration (CV4) to 80, Top Voltage (CV5) to 70 and Mid Voltage (CV6) to 20.  That seemed to work.  Here is a closeup of 6713 approaching Oakwood Tunnel.

I also made a short video (no music) of the branch goods arriving at and departing from Platform 4.

It runs very nicely although there were a couple of places where a nudge was required to get it started.  But this is almost certainly a track cleaning issue.  Tomorrow, I try introducing run-arounds at the branch termini.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2557 on: August 02, 2018, 09:30:48 PM »
That's excellent news, Laurence. No. 6713 looks at home pulling a similar train, including the "Castle Estates" wagon and "Castle Brewery" van and runs very well. It never had an opportunity to really "stretch its legs" before. As usual, Douglas (Wickness) did a great job DCC fitting it. I look forward to reading and seeing more about the loco. at work at its new home. (I'm awaiting its special replacement, here.)

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2558 on: August 03, 2018, 09:10:09 PM »
Friday is domestic chores day and I managed quite a lot of them before I went to the Train Shed.  However, I didn’t have a good day in the Train Shed.  First off, in Sub-cycle 14a. because I misread the routes and loops, I managed to run ‘Liverpool’ instead of Cranmore Hall.  If I had just carried on with the operational timetable, I think it would have all been OK, but I tried to run the wrong loco, resulting in a short circuit at the trailing points.  Unfortunately, I didn’t spot that I was running the wrong loco and changed the routes to suit the one I was trying to run.  It all began because I had written the wrong loop in the movement line of the operational timetable.  Then 5572 had an incident with Point 39, where its pony wheel caused a short between the ‘free’ point blade and the stock blade.  This appears to be a continuing saga with the small prairies and I may have to paint the insides of the point blades to prevent it from happening.  Un-noticed by me, 80119’s train hadn’t made it fully into Loop 5 (which was the wrong loop because of my incompetence).  :dunce:

Then 3846 had a problem caused by my knocking it yesterday while rerailing the parcels train.  So it derailed and caused a short circuit while exiting the DOWN loops.  Then, in Sub-cycle 14c, Ditcheat Manor had a problem because the rear of 80119’s train impeded its return to the UP loops.  So I finished my morning session somewhat disappointed.   :'(

After that, I had some fruit bed nets to put away because the fruit there has finished.  Also, I had some more nets to erect over the wildlife pond in the front garden to prevent pears from falling in and decomposing.  We are sure that caused the problem last Autumn, when all the snails died and cause the pond to virtually die.  Fortunately, after a good clean up early in the new year, it fully recovered.  Then it was time for coffee.  After coffee, I switched from my original plan of continuing with disposing of the hedge debris to moving the contents of compost Bin 1 to Bin 2 because Bin 1 was too full.  Then I picked tomatoes and blackberries.  That was followed my maintenance work on the espaliers, when it was time for something to eat.

In the afternoon, the alarm man came to service our house alarm.  The main reason that caused us to abort our stay at the caravan was that the alarm failed first thing on Wednesday morning and we decided that we would rather stay in until it was fixed.  Everything went very well until the walk test.  The door sensors were fine, but none of the PIRs would detect me.  It occurred to me that the problem was that the ambient temperature was too high so there was insufficient difference between the heat from a human being and the background radiation.  I came up with the idea of walking round with a bag of ice cubes, which worked an absolute treat.  So the moral of this is, if you are going to burgle someone, do it on a hot day, but don’t take a bag of ice cubes with you.

After a cup of tea, I returned to the Train Shed to further misery.  I still hadn’t realised the errors of my ways and so there was still a problem with the routes.  In addition, there was another instance of a prairie pony truck causing a short and I had a terrible time trying to use the run-arounds at the branch termini.  First, 6713 wouldn’t go at all on the tail of the Shipton run-around, then 4571 had the same problem at the Norton run-around.  I suspect that the problem is dirty track, but I may revise my plans for run-arounds.  Otherwise, there were no other problems, but I didn’t get to run the final cycle (16a/b/c).  However, I now have some trains in the wrong position, so I will have to work out how to reposition them outside of the operational timetable.  :confused2:
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2559 on: August 04, 2018, 06:40:29 AM »
Our alarm system was upgraded last week so thanks for the ice cube tip!  :)

Our 7kg British Blue has also tested the system by getting up on the dining room table (Bad Boy!) without causing distress to either our or neighbours' eardrums.

On the gardening front we have courgettes that want to be marrows. We can't get through them fast enough but the Bramley is suffering from the lack of rain.

Dave G

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2560 on: August 04, 2018, 11:32:37 AM »
I don't know if you use a Peco track cleaning rubber but, if you do, I advise vacuum cleaning (with a handheld cleaner) afterwards to remove the fine grey dust (which I discovered, yesterday) which is not good for locos. and may well end up in axleboxes, too?

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2561 on: August 04, 2018, 01:13:34 PM »
I don't know if you use a Peco track cleaning rubber but, if you do, I advise vacuum cleaning (with a handheld cleaner) afterwards to remove the fine grey dust (which I discovered, yesterday) which is not good for locos. and may well end up in axleboxes, too?
I keep my Peco track rubber in reserve for emergency cleaning when there is a local difficulty.  Normally, I use IPA on plain card to clean the rails.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2562 on: August 04, 2018, 07:56:40 PM »
Today is the day for walking into Hessle.  First thing, I went to the Train Shed to put things right from the routes problems of the last couple of days.  The configuration that greeted me was:-

UP Loop 2: Cranmore Hall (Loco 1)
UP Loop 5: Forthampton Grange (Loco 4)
Down Loop 15: B17 Liverpool (Loco 6)

But, as you can see from Column 15 of my feasibility table

The correct positions should have been

UP Loop 2: Forthampton Grange (Loco 4)
UP Loop 5: B17 Liverpool (Loco 6)
Down Loop 15: B17 Cranmore Hall (Loco 1)

Now, with hindsight, it is easy to see that I need to swap Loco 5 with Loco 2 and then Loco 2 with Loco 6.  But, I made a mess of it and had to carry out four swaps to get it right.  :dunce:  Then it was off to the Butchers and for coffee, via the money shop and the greengrocers.

When we returned, I had quite a lot to do in the garden.  First there was a barrow load of garden compost for Celia, followed by netting some seedlings (to prevent the blackbirds from uprooting them) and picking raspberries.  In the afternoon, I had a lot more shredding to do before it was time for a cup of tea and then I lit the BBQ.  While at the butchers we bought a couple of items to BBQ and spent a pleasant late afternoon/early evening in the garden.

Then it was back to the Train Shed to finish off the timetable runs, which took longer that normal because I practised the branch run-arounds between sub-cycles.  I seem to be getting the hang of them now and, once the track has been cleaned again, they should work more smoothly.  So, tomorrow it will be track cleaning.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 08:59:49 PM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Online themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #2563 on: August 04, 2018, 08:28:52 PM »
via the money shop
do they ever have any bogof or 3 for 2 offers on tenners?

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2564 on: August 04, 2018, 09:00:38 PM »
via the money shop
do they ever have any bogof or 3 for 2 offers on tenners?
No, they only take plastic.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP