!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 153231 times)

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2490 on: July 17, 2018, 12:49:53 PM »
I tried rogerdB's method using Humbrol Liquid Poly with a strip of the paper on a spare section of Plasticard and it worked a treat, so thankyou Roger.  :thankyousign:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2491 on: July 17, 2018, 01:38:09 PM »
I usually apply a coat of matt varnish the next day to protect the printed surface.
Do you use acrylic or enamel varnish?
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #2492 on: July 17, 2018, 02:20:00 PM »
I usually apply a coat of matt varnish the next day to protect the printed surface.
Do you use acrylic or enamel varnish?

I've tried several different varnishes. I wanted something that could be brushed on, not sprayed, and finished up with Humbrol Matt Cote. Provided it's given a really long stir it seems to be as matt as any. I found that the artists' acrylic varnishes I tested seemed to dry with a slight sheen. I wondered if they might have better UV filtering effects than the Humbrol which is why I tried them.

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #2493 on: July 17, 2018, 02:31:30 PM »
how about Testors dullcote? it comes in either aerosol or bottle. I have used the aerosol with confidence for a few years now, not tried the bottled version (yet)

Regards

Alex

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2494 on: July 17, 2018, 07:55:25 PM »
Last night, we finally had some rain.  At first it looked as though we had had only 1.8mm, but it later transpired that there had been, in fact, 3.2mm.  Thatís because the outlet hole at the bottom of the rain gauge funnel had become clogged up.  This is something that happens occasionally and I had promised myself that I would check it in the spring, but I never got around to it.  Later in the day, I decided that I must do something about it.

But, before that and before we went to the gym, I managed some time in the Train Shed and in the garage with the guillotine.  First, I ran the next six sub-cycles of the timetable, with mixed results.  Apart from 64960, everything else ran well, but several locos required a little nudge to start from rest.  But 64960 was a real problem.  It kept hesitating and then, at the crossover complex, it stopped completely several times.  I set the acceleration to zero and tried again, but it was still a problem.  So I put it upside down in the loco cradle and applied some IPA to each driver tyre and to the inside of each driver.  I then left it there for the IPA to run down into the works and do its job.

After that, I returned to the garage and set about cutting up the Scalescenes aged red brick paper for the platform walls.  I had cut about four strips before it was time to go to the gym.  I made a complete mess of my arrangement for the gym.  I had intended to go for a swim but, for some reason, I put my Pilates mat on my bag instead of putting my swimming things in the bag.  So I couldnít have a swim after all, but I did a fairly relaxed Pilates routine instead, without out any weights work.

After we returned, there was a lot to do in the garden.  Before we had something to eat, I picked Sungold tomatoes.  They are cropping really well now.  Afterwards, I picked gooseberries, which sliced up my forearms nicely again.  However, that is the last of the gooseberries, so there will be no more suffering for my forearms, at least not from the gooseberries.  Then, I used the strimmer to cut the long grass on the edges of the grass and, particularly, along the sides of the raised beds.  Although the main areas of grass (I donít call it a lawn) are very parched and burned up by the Sun, the edges and bits between the raised beds have grown very long and needed cutting.

By that time, it had become clear that there was a problem with the rain gauge.  The usual symptoms began to show themselves.  Overnight, it looked as though there had been a steady trickle of rain, even though we had heard quite heavy rain when we went to bed.  But then the (even slower) trickle continued throughout the day.  This is a bit of a giveaway, considering there had been nor rain since last night.  It means the bottom of the funnel has become clogged and water flows out through the blockage at a very slow rate.  So my next job was to erect my platform (not a railway one) to climb up and clear the blockage.

In front of the tower, on the ground, you can see the rain gauge funnel ready for reattachment to the weather station, which is fixed to the pole on the gable end.  The platform is just under 3m above the ground, which means I can work on the weather station, which is about 4.5m above the ground.  Erecting the platform and putting it away again takes about an hour so, by the time I had finished, I was ready for a cup of tea.

After a cup of tea, I returned to the garage to finish cutting the red brick strips and then repaired to the Train Shed to fix the strips to the platform side walls.  But before I affixed the brick paper, I extracted 64960 and ran it over the same tracks that had caused it a problem earlier in the day.  Iím pleased to report that the IPA treatment seems to have worked.  The first time I ran it, I left the acceleration at zero, but I then ran it again with the acceleration reinstated.  Then I managed to finish attaching all the brick paper strips.  I think the effect is quite good.

There are a few smudges here and there where the solvent had soaked into the paper a little but, given that is supposed to be aged brick, I think it adds a little to the effect.  Hereís a view of the whole platform, although the distant end is somewhat out of focus.

Tomorrow, I may not get much done because we are off to the Driffield Show.  Neither of us has been to an agricultural show for years, so it should make a nice change.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2495 on: July 18, 2018, 07:15:24 PM »
Today was the day of the Driffield Show.  The show started at nine and we wanted to get there early so we had to make an early start.  Now, 08:00 is not early if your working but, since we retired, we have tried not to start out on a journey until after the morning peak.  So it was early for us.  However, I did manage three sub-cycles of running in the Train Shed before we went.  Iím pleased to report that 64960 ran perfectly this morning.  Everything else ran well too, except Jubilee class ĎEireí which stopped on each of the three exit points from its DOWN loop.  I tried it again, with the same result.  I gave each of the point blades and stock rails a good clean with the trusty Peco track rubber and then Eire ran through the point complex without a problem.  After that, it was off to Driffield.

On the way back, we had to deliver the U3A room hire cheques and visit J Sainsbury.  In the afternoon, I had a visitation from the U3A auditor and after that we had a cup of tea.  Then it was down to the serious business of the island platform.  I cut up all the red brick wall sections for the other side of the platform and printed and cut two sections of white edged slabs for the paving.  After some time, I was able to complete the wall sections and began adding the slabs.  I used the same technique for sticking the slabs down as I had used for the red bricks.  Unfortunately, some of the liquid poly soaked through the slab sheet but I think that, after a bit of weathering, it will be OK.  I had decided to make the slab sheets slightly wider than the platform surface and fold the surplus under the overhang.  That was easier said than done.

First, I tried using the liquid poly to secure the overhang, but without success.  I had a look at using Rocket Glue, but decided that it was too difficult to control the flow.  Then I tried DeLuxe Materials Speedbond PVA, which I have used successfully for Metcalfe card kits.  It was difficult to achieve the required result, but I persevered.  I had to use my finger nail to fold the small flap over and make it fast to the underside of the platform surface.  But, eventually, I achieved the desired result.  Here you see the end of the platform with the slabs in place.

I placed the new island platform on top or the original so that it can be seen better in a photograph.  Tomorrow, we intend to go into Hull on the train, but I hope to be able to make more progress with the slabs.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2496 on: July 18, 2018, 10:05:59 PM »
A neat bit of edging, Laurence :thumbsup:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #2497 on: July 19, 2018, 07:15:10 AM »
Looking good. I donít think that the areas where the glue has soaked through is a problem. It breaks up the uniformity, in reality the slabs will only be perfect on the day they are laid!

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2498 on: July 19, 2018, 07:39:40 AM »
in reality the slabs will only be perfect on the day they are laid!
That's a good point Keith.  Perhaps I should create one or two broken slabs with a black pen.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2499 on: July 19, 2018, 08:33:41 PM »
Today was a bit of a mixed day in the Train Shed.  We went into Hull on the train: Class 158 on the way out, Class 144 on the way back (essentially a three car version of the 142 Pacer).  Before we went, I had a reasonable session in the Train Shed.  When I say reasonable, I mean a reasonable time.  First, I ran three sub-cycles of the timetable and everything ran well except that 3846 cased a short at Point 37.  I have had shorts at points on occasions with other locos.  I think the inside of the pony wheel must have shorted between the free point blade and the stock rail.  It ran perfectly alright when I retried it.  I may have to use Lil Chrisís idea of painting the contact side of the point blade.

Then it was on with the platform slabs.  Unfortunately, when I had fixed the next two sheets in place, I realised that I had failed to align them with sufficient accuracy and was forced to remove them (with difficulty).  Lesson 1 for the Day was that I must temporarily fix the other end of the sheet rather than just holding it in place when beginning the permanent adhesive fix.  Lesson 2 was to fix the slabs in place before adding the brickwork to the side walls (too late!).  The result of removing the slabs was to damage the side walls.  In the end, I had to remove most of one of the brick strips and I will replace it when the slabs are finished.

The other side was not so bad and I might be able to mask the damage with a bit of weathering.

Eventually, I hit on the idea of a small dab of Pritt Stick at the far end, checking that if I peeled the other end from the surface and let it go, it would return to the correct position.  After a while, I managed to fix three more sheets in place.

In response to Mickís comment about the neat edging, I have to admit to cheating.  I print the slabs and edging all on a single sheet, as shown here.

Then I fold the edges around the edge of the platform surface.

There was more good new today.  The rail buffer stops I ordered from Rails of Sheffield arrived.

Hereís one perched roughly in place.  Once they are painted, I will have to work out how best to fix them in place.

Tomorrow, I should be able to make more progress on the platform.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #2500 on: July 19, 2018, 09:33:13 PM »

In response to Mickís comment about the neat edging, I have to admit to cheating.  I print the slabs and edging all on a single sheet, as shown here.

What a gent for 'fessing up ;D

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2501 on: July 20, 2018, 07:34:20 AM »
I forgot to include the other adversity of yesterday morningís session.  I thought I would see if the Dapol magnet would fit the curve of the Branch run-around.  I picked it up but it immediately slipped through my fingers and fell onto the floor, where, being brittle ferrite, it broke in half (approximately).  Now I had contemplated cutting them in half so I could cover all four tracks (two at each end) using only two magnets.  I believe this has been successfully done by others in the past.  But the sad bit is that I could only find one half.  Search as I would, including inspecting all the metal surfaces to which it might have adhered, I could find no sign of it.  So I will have to buy another pack after all.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #2502 on: July 20, 2018, 09:53:17 AM »
If you conduct experiments using Ĺ a magnet I will be following with interest, Laurence.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2503 on: July 20, 2018, 10:57:34 AM »
If you conduct experiments using Ĺ a magnet I will be following with interest, Laurence.
I've tried it with the remaining half a magnet and it works fine.  The magnets are polarised laterally (that is to say the North pole runs along one edge and the South pole along the other), so breaking it in half has little effect on the efficiency unless the couplings move very fast indeed.

One thing I did notice, with both a whole magnet and a half magnet is that the coupling often uncouples in the forwards direction (pulling) as well as when pushing.  For me that's no problem because the uncoupling will be to separate the whole train from the loco for running around, but for marshalling operations, it could be more of a problem.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2504 on: July 20, 2018, 07:58:07 PM »
Today we had hairdressing appointments.  But, before we went, I managed four sub-cycles in the Train Shed.  Everything ran well until Forthampton Grange suddenly stopped just after passing under London Road Bridge.  I tried it again with the same result.  After a third failure, I gave the track a quick burnish with a Peco Track Rubber.  That did the trick.  But itís funny that no other loco had a problem there.  That now completes the old operational timetable and I will commence the new one when I next run trains.

After my Ďdropsyí incident with the Dapol magnet yesterday, this is what remained of the magnet.

You can see that the original magnet occupied eight sleepers whereas the remnant only occupies four.  Hereís a complete magnet on the curved section of the branch run-around.  I think it will be OK to install them there, although I will have to cut away the sleepers to accommodate the magnets.

Before we went off int Hessle, I adhered two more sections of paving to the platform.  In the afternoon, I had a session removing ivy from tree trunks.  I also did some general tidying up.  After a cup of tea, it was back to the Train Shed again to complete the island platform.  Here it is in its correct position.

I havenít tested it with running trains yet, but that will follow soon, hopefully tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £347.00
Above Goal: £292.00
Site Currency: GBP
631% 
December Donations