!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 199670 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2445 on: July 06, 2018, 06:28:00 AM »
I agree with both comments.
Will bending the track back down and fitting a new fishplate sort it?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2446 on: July 06, 2018, 06:35:32 AM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I think the problem with the fish plate has been caused by the bent rail end.  The big problem for the correcting operation is the ballast.  I will have to lift the whole section of track and I think it would be best to cut a new one (carefully) and refit it.  I will then have to re-lay the ballast.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #2447 on: July 06, 2018, 07:32:28 AM »
Good luck with the repairs Laurence, you seem to be having more success with the timetable running now though.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2448 on: July 06, 2018, 08:42:42 PM »
Baron Toby had been busy over the last few weeks, negotiating with the management of the Aylesbury and Worcester Operational Department and the two breweries, Norton Ales and Shipton Ales.  While at work in negotiations, he has also taken on board the Shipton Engineering Company and he Norton Wool company.  He has undertaken provide locos (the two small prairies and a possible future BR 2-6-2T) to operate the branch line and to provide funding for continued steam operations on the Aylesbury and Worcester for the foreseeable future.  This is providing he can retain the revenue from branch operations, where he hopes to generate significant revenue from the goods services, which will increase in frequency.

But now, itís back to the Train Shed.  Itís been a good news/bad news day today.  The first batch of good news is that I managed to run all the first six sub-cycles without so much as a hiccup, apart from one or two operator errors.  After that, we went out and came back in time for a midday light meal.  Then there was gardening, maintaining the espaliers, topping the potatoes (to stop humidity building up around the base of the plants) and picking raspberries.  Yesterday, we picked our first Sungold tomatoes.

Later, I managed another session in the Train Shed.  I had hoped to finish the last four sub-cycles to take me to the halfway point of the operational timetable.  But, first, I thought I would investigate Point 33 with Eire and Forthampton Grange.  With Eire (later confirmed by Forthampton Grange) I discovered that the suspect joint was not the culprit.  The stop in acceleration occurred when all the loco drivers were on the switch blades.  As the drivers are the main instruments of electrical pickup and they were beyond the potential Ďbumpí of the rail joint, there must be some other cause, which I will further investigate. 

Then came the bad news.  Forthampton Grange threw itself sideways off the track while exiting the UP loops.  I had difficulty getting it back on to run, so I moved the loco onto a bit of straight track, only to find that the drivers were locked.  It looked as though the securing bolt on the right-hand front driver was fouling the connecting rod.  I disconnected the connecting rod and checked the tightness of the coupling rod bolt, which seemed OK.  I reconnected the con rod and tried again, but the con rod itself seemed too close to the drivers, so a little coaxing was required to induce some clearance.  After that all was well and the test confirmed that the track joint was not the cause of the problems with Point 33.  So at least I wonít have to lift the track. 

Then there was more good news.  The Dapol magnetic coupling bits arrived in the post so now I will be able to experiment with them to create run-arounds at the branch termini.

Tomorrow I will concentrate on completing the timetable runs, before further investigating the Point 33 issue.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2449 on: July 06, 2018, 09:29:26 PM »
I look forward to your experiments with the easi shunts whenever you can fit them into your work schedule.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2450 on: July 07, 2018, 09:20:29 PM »
This morning, we had an early start to try and beat the heat.  But, before we went, I managed to run the four sub-cycles that I missed yesterday, all without incident (apart from operator error).  Then it was off to the butcherís and coffee.  We thought that we would have a BBQ today, so we bought a small piece of steak big enough for the two of us and we already had some of his minted lamb burgers in the freezer.  After we came back I picked peas, tomatoes, tayberries and strawberries, plus pulling up a couple of baby turnips for our dinner tomorrow.

Then I had another session in the Train Shed and it all ran very smoothly, not counting more operator errors (I must concentrate on the instructions instead of gazing around at the trains).  Suddenly, itís all very encouraging (although thatís usually when something creeps up behind and bites you).  Then it was time for to prepare and light the BBQ.  That leaves us clean out of charcoal, so I need to put it on the shopping list.  We were able to have several home grown salad items with it: tomatoes, lettuce, rocket and peas plus several bought items.  It was followed by home grown strawberries.  That made a nice afternoon.  After that, Celia went off to watch the football and I returned to the Train Shed to finish the full timetable cycle.  I made a short video of the two goods trains parking up to await a clear road. 

I apologise for using the same music as in the last video, but time was pressing.  Later, I had to water everything again to keep the crops growing and producing.  Tomorrow, I will try to finish the timetable and then I really must start on the platform replacement.  4571 has a tendency to catch the rough edge of Platform 4 when stopping and starting, so it is becoming fairly urgent.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 09:24:03 PM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #2451 on: July 07, 2018, 09:33:39 PM »
Not meant as a criticism Laurence, but as a general rule, Locos were not normally allowed in the goods shed, in this case the train would reverse into the goods shed road.

Regards,

Alex

Offline sp1

• Awards
« Reply #2452 on: July 08, 2018, 01:12:33 AM »
Not meant as a criticism Laurence, but as a general rule, Locos were not normally allowed in the goods shed, in this case the train would reverse into the goods shed road.

Regards,

Alex
I agree- and shouldnít the milk train have a passenger brake vehicle and not a goods brake van?
Great layout, by the way, am avidly following

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2453 on: July 08, 2018, 07:09:46 AM »
Thanks for the comments folks. 

I claim Rule 1! 

The goods shed is only a temporary afair as a first build with Metcalfe kits.  Eventually there will be a goods depot built on the reverse side of the platform.  As far as the milk train is concerned, the milk tanks were generally attached to the back of passenger trains, but I don't want to have to do any shunting, so I have formed it as a fully fitted express freight.  I could always add a full brake and a siphon G at some time in the future.  However, this is Bridgefordshire, where things might not be quite prototypical.  Prototypical operations would certailnly require shunting and I definitely want to avoid shunting.  :no:
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2454 on: July 08, 2018, 07:58:02 PM »
First thing this morning I made a start on running the last ten sub-cycles of the operational timetable.  Everything ran perfectly, apart from the errors of the idiot operator.  I ran the first five before we went out for a walk.  After coffee, I picked the remaining broad beans, the rest of the blackcurrants and some gooseberries.  Our soft fruit harvest this year is much reduced from last year, presumably because of the weather in the Winter and early Spring.  It was Hessle Feast today, but it was just too hot to walk into town in the middle of the day, so we missed it.  Not that itís been too high a temperature, itís hardly risen above 25C but the intermittent cloud has kept the humidity above 60%, so it has felt hotter.

Later I managed to finish the whole operational timetable and everything went very smoothly, apart from the idiot operator again.  I have reprogrammed 4571 and 5572 with a slightly lower top speed, which meant I had to increase the deceleration time to ensure they stopped in the correct places.  Then I had a first look at the Dapol magnetic couplings.

I had a go at fitting one to a plank wagon, but I need to file a little off the underside of the wagon to allow the NEM pocket to fit correctly.  Iím not sure if Iím going to be able to do this successfully, but Iíll have a try.

If I get disheartened with the coupling fitting, I can always make a start on the replacement island platform.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2455 on: July 09, 2018, 08:11:50 PM »
Today, I have had fun (if thatís the right word) with couplings.  I tried to fit an NEM pocket to a Farish plank wagon.

But it proved beyond me.  First, I tried to fit it at the end where there was already a coupling missing.  When I found that too difficult, I removed the existing one at the other end, without any improvement.  Then, there was even more fun trying to replace the one I had removed.  It took quite a time with the operation of tweezers and a headlight.  But, in the end, I managed to get it back again. 

Later, I took the two pannier locos, which both had NEM pockets fitted.  I removed the original couplings and inserted the Dapol Easy-shunts.  I had to use a bit of spare track and cut away eight sleepers to fit the magnet.  Here they are coupled together.

Here they are over the magnet.

And here they are after separation.

I then pushed one with the other and they remained uncoupled.

After that, I found a brake van with NEM pockets and fitted an Easy-shunt to it.  I then made a short video of the process, pushing by hand because there was no power to the track.

Unfortunately, although most locos have NEM pockets, neither of the new small prairies do.  As they are what I really need for the run-arounds, I will have to work out whether of not I a capable of converting them or whether I will need to send them off for conversion.  Letís see what tomorrow brings.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2456 on: July 10, 2018, 07:41:25 PM »
In my early morning session today, I decided that I would develop withdrawal symptoms unless I ran a few trains.  I overcame this by running the first three sub-cycles before turning my attention elsewhere.  Then I had another look at the couplings before starting on the platform replacement.  However, I had made an error.  What I thought was Plasticard turned out to be heavyweight shiny paper that I had ordered to make membership cards for U3A.  So I didnít get very far on that front.

Then it was off to the Gym (for a swim) followed by our weekly visit to J Sainsbury.  In the afternoon there was quite a bit of picking to do and some tidying up of the lower leaves of the potatoes.  Itís important to remove any dying, damaged or infected leaves (brown spots) to reduce the risk of blight.  The variety I am growing this year are supposed to be blight resistant, but itís better to be safe than sorry.

Later, I managed to identify the Plasticard and set about making the island platform.  However, cutting the Plasticard to the correct width turned out to be more difficult than I had envisaged using a steel rule and a craft knife.  It was then that I remembered that we have a guillotine which I thought might make a better fist of it.  So, after a bit of experimenting, I hit on a methodology for cutting the Plasticard to width.

There are two widths, 78mm for the platform surface and 74mm for a substrate layer that will serve as a spacer for the side walls.  On reflexion, I should have decided on 72mm for the substrate, so I will have to make an adjustment with a fine cut.  The measurements are the result of a 2.5mm overhang each side plus the 0.5mm thickness of the side walls.  This may take a little while, but Iíll persevere until I have a workable island platform.  If thatís successful, I may scratch build the other platforms as well.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2457 on: July 11, 2018, 06:20:26 PM »
This morningís early session began, like yesterdayís, with an anti-withdrawal-symptom running of the next three sub-cycles of the operational timetable.  Everything went well, apart from a mammoth error on my part which resulted in 46443 running into the back of the local pick-up goods in the goods loop.  I really must not ignore the route resets from the timetable!  Then it was on with the platform work again.  I discovered that, even with the guillotine, the edges of the cut sections of Plasticard were not parallel.  They were only out by a millimetre or two, but that is too much.  The problem is that the Plasticard tends to buckle very slightly under the pressure of the guillotine blade, so that the width at the end of the cut is slightly different to that at the beginning. 

I resorted to the guillotine because it was difficult to prevent my steel rule from creeping on the surface of the Plasticard, resulting in either a change in width along the length of the cut or multiple cuts.  Also the 30cm rule is not long enough to cut the Plasticard with a single stroke.  I thought of using the rule to hold the Plasticard in position on the guillotine, but the same problem occurs.  To combat this, I have ordered an 45cm steel rule with non-slip cork backing.  That should serve both cutting methods, although I will experiment with both to see if one works better than the other or is easier than the other. 

After discovering the problem with the cutting, I decided to have a go at assembling some of the less-than-perfect pieces.  First, I took a piece of platform surface and a piece of substrate and overlapped them.  I marked the position of the substrate on the back of the platform surface and then used Humbrol liquid cement to fix them together.  The next thing I discovered was that the ends of the pieces were slightly out of being at right angles with the sides.  This meant that when I butted up the next piece of platform to first, the substrate not parallel to it.  So I had to trim a tiny sliver off the end of the second piece so that it would be perfectly in line.  That seemed to work.  Then I cut, very carefully with a rule and craft knife, a 10mm strip for the side wall and a 9mm strip to form the internal supports for the side wall.  It took a bit of fiddling but, eventually, I managed to get it all together.

Then it was off to the gym.  In the afternoon we had to run the U3A table tennis meeting, so the Train Shed didnít get another visit until much later.  When I returned, I tried a different method for supporting the opposite side wall.

Then I added another section of platform.  Finally, I checked the platform height and it looks good to me.

When the new rule arrives, I will try starting again from scratch with the correct width for the substrate and I will cut the cards crossways instead of longways because, that way, I will be able to make more sections from each piece of card (four 220mm long instead of two 325mm long). 

Tonight, for tea, we had the first of the climbing (fine) beans that I picked yesterday.  They were delicious!  Tomorrow I will decide what to do when I have had another run on the operational timetable.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2458 on: July 11, 2018, 06:46:24 PM »
Many thanks, Laurence.

This is very helpful.  I am thinking about re-doing the platforms on my layout and your observations are of great interest.

Thanks again and best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2459 on: July 11, 2018, 06:51:38 PM »
The blade and/or guide rule 'skating' away from the line you want is something I've encountered as well.  :censored:

Using a workmate type bench, I clamped the steel rule to the material and that helped a lot. These are the kind of clamps I have in my armoury:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/25mm1-heavy-duty-plastic-hand-clamp/

I fear that your guillotine blade may well be jiggered (that's technical for  :censored:) after cutting the tougher material!

My platforms are based on Metcalfe side walls and cut to width A2 mounting card. I made up Z shaped inserts to support and reinforce the long runs. The A2 board let me produce platforms without any joins as my usual passenger train length is rarely more than 6 coaches.

Look forward to seeing the results of your trials.

Dave G

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything