!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 232619 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #210 on: December 08, 2016, 04:56:32 PM »
We're getting there - or at least making progress

I went to Screwfix and bought the requisite screws and so now I have finished assembling everything I have.  I did make one or two more goofs but nothing that couldn't be retrieved.  As luck would have it, sods law dictated that the screws that Martin posted on Monday arrived this afternoon - good old Christmas post!  I took a picture of the boards from outside the window to give an idea of the scale of things.

Since then, I have attached the 4' X 1'6'' extension boards next to the doorway, although I need to fit the legs when they arrive.  I have finished attaching all the solder tags and I am ready to start wiring.  Here's another picture from inside showing the extension boards attached.  At the moment, they are just bolted on.

All I need now is the legs for the extension boards and the 5' X 1' side boards.  Once all the wiring is complete I will start locating the points and point motors, prior to laying the track.  Is it possible that I might have something running before Christmas?  Well, that might be too much to expect, but I might be able to start commissioning in earnest in the new year.  You never know, but I prefer to err on the conservative side because I have seen too many disappointments in the past.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline keithfre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5036
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: December 08, 2016, 05:10:30 PM »
That's a work of art on its own. Why not put it in for the Turner Prize  ;)

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: December 08, 2016, 05:16:21 PM »
Looks brilliant. :thumbsup:

Cant wait to see it when the track-laying starts.

Wonder what happens to all those circles as a result of them there holes? Shed loads of Roundtoits?

Haven't got a coat so I'll crawl back under my layout.

Dave G

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: December 08, 2016, 05:23:19 PM »

I think its probably too orderly for that.  I suppose I could add a few plastic plates and a teapot or two to various parts of the baseboards.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: December 08, 2016, 05:28:45 PM »
Wonder what happens to all those circles as a result of them there holes? Shed loads of Roundtoits?
I don't know, but the holes are very useful for wiring.  Perhaps I'll ask Martin what he does with them.  Reminds me of when I was a teenager and we used to buy triangular 5-ply off-cuts from the timber yard and turn them into boomerangs.  I sold the small ones for a shilling (5p today) and the large ones for half a crown (12.5p today).
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: December 08, 2016, 05:36:16 PM »
With regard to the modified layout for the goods yard, it looks as though I may have to resort to Plan B.  I tried to order another Digikeijs 4018 today, but the manufacturers are out of stock.  So I may have to resort to wiring points across board boundaries.  I guess the judicious use of barrier strip might be the best bet.  I will order the points first, but there's no rush.  I just can't make the final screw-down of the station baseboards until the situation is resolved, one way or another.  I'll start by using Plan B wiring and then I can always revert to Plan A if the decoder becomes availalbe in time.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #216 on: December 08, 2016, 05:41:25 PM »

I think its probably too orderly for that.  I suppose I could add a few plastic plates and a teapot or two to various parts of the baseboards.

No, what you need is a shark :goggleeyes:

Looking good.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: December 08, 2016, 07:59:16 PM »
The shark idea sounds like Bill Heine revisited.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #218 on: December 08, 2016, 08:43:20 PM »
Looking good the Laurence, you seem to have some large mice though with those large holes. I bet you can not wait to make a start on the track.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: December 08, 2016, 10:14:49 PM »
Excellent progress, Laurence. That is a very impressive collection of baseboards. I'm also looking forward to seeing some trains running before year end. 8-)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #220 on: December 09, 2016, 07:20:27 PM »
I've definitely decided to use Plan B.  In fact, strictly speaking it's Plan B2.  I have received a pack of barrier strip from RS today

I will use it to connect the point motors to the decoders at the board boundaries.  This will make it easy to split the boards in future.  I have now wired all the bus lines for the UP loop boards and have stripped the insulation off the connecting plugs & sockets.  I have tinned four of them, but I had to go out this afternoon so the rest will have to wait until tomorrow.  Next it's fitting the Digikeijs and installing the wiring for the point motors.  Of course, I will then have to repeat it all for the DOWN loop boards.

The final 5' X 1' boards should arrive next week together with the braced legs for the extension boards.  It should be fairly simple to attach the legs because the extension boards can be detached by unfastening the M10 bolts and unplugging the connectors.  So then it should all fit together and it will be time to start positioning the points and installing the point motors.  Of course, I will also have to order the additional points for the coal yard, but they can be left until last.  I will also have to order some additional platform sections to allow for the fact that I have doubled up on the mainline platform widths.  I will also need to order the goods shed and factory (that I am going to use for the mild depot).  The first will be necessary to ensure the correct spacing of the goods loop.

On the subject of the good yard, at the risk of being repetitive, I think I have now formed the final layout plan, which includes a third siding in the yard

One will be for coal, very important in a rural town, one for livestock including horses, with stud farms common in the area and a third for general bulk goods.  This should give me an excuse to site a crane in the goods yard.  So I should be busy for a while yet.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #221 on: December 10, 2016, 08:01:42 PM »
I've now wired up all the bus wires and connecting plugs on both the UP and DOWN loop boards.  Hopefully, you can get an impression of the result here

The silver wires are the bare TCW of the DCC bus and the white cable is the power bus for the Digikeijs accessory decoders to give sufficient power to the Seep coils, independent of the DCC.  You can also make out the red and black connection wires of the plug and socket connections between the boards, on the upper left for the DCC and the lower left for the power bus.  The usefulness of the holes in the cross members should be apparent from the picture.

I've ordered the extra points and platform sections and I've also ordered the good shed, milk factory and some buildings for the town from Metcalfe.  I should finish the points looms for the loop boards tomorrow and then I can get on with positioning points and point motors on the station boards.  The first priority will be positioning the main lines through the station with the associated points, followed by the branch and the milk depot.  The goods loop will have to wait until I've constructed the card goods shed to determine the spacing between the goods loop and the main down line.  I have decided to adorn the front o the factory buiding to be used for the mild depot with a large (relatively) sign "MORTON CREAMERY".  This is consistent with the original prototype which had a similar sign "UNITED DARIES LONDON".
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 08:05:29 PM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #222 on: December 10, 2016, 10:59:31 PM »
 :hellosign: Excellent progress Laurence, very neat work   :thumbsup:
      regards Derek.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #223 on: December 11, 2016, 06:50:42 PM »
I've now connected both Digikeijs decoders to all 16 points looms on the DOWN loop board.  This should give some idea of the arrangement.

I've also connected one Digikeijs to its 8 points looms on the UP loop board.  So there's just one to go before I set about the station boards, first locating the points on the DOWN main and then fitting the Seep PM1s.  I will use the built in switch on the PM1s to switch the polarity of the frogs, so each frog will require a dropper to connect to the point motor.

While on the subject of points polarity and the possibility of shorting, much has already been said, but I would like to make the following observations, many of which have been made by others at some time.  Clearly the frogs must be isolated from the running rails to which they connect.  There are then two possibilities of shorts.  The first is the action of a loco approaching a set of trailing points from the "wrong" direction.  In real world prototypes this is often used where a loco runs around a train, with the force of the loco wheels sufficient to create a gap for the flanges.  However, with an electric powered two-rail model, when the pick-up wheels cross the insulation between the frog and the running rails, they will create a short circuit by bridging the insulation.  It is also possible for a short to be created if a non pick-up vehicle pushes the point bladed across onto the other rail.  There is little that can be done about this other than to ensure that a vehicle never approaches from the wrong direction.

The second scenario is where the inside of the flanges of the wheels make electrical contact with the open point blade as they pass.  With Peco Code 55, this should not happen unless there is a derailment or a very poorly aligned wheel because the gap is unrealistically wide.  However if you are worried about the possiblity, it is best prevented by ensuring that there can be no electrical contact between the wheel flange and the point blade.  A simple method is to paint the contact side of the point blades with a non-conducting paint.  Contact is not required when the point is set because the frog dropper will connect the point blades to the correct rail.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 08:29:42 PM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #224 on: December 11, 2016, 06:55:51 PM »
Great progress Laurence.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything