New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 151810 times)

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2085 on: March 12, 2018, 08:45:33 PM »
The motor is quite noisy, but not unacceptably so and there is a nice reassuring click of the Peco points when they change over.

Where does the click come from, Laurence? I've got about 30 Cobalts and don't hear any clicks. If it's the point itself making the noise, have you removed the spring from the tie bar?

By the way, I've found that it's important not to over-tighten the fixing screws when using the fixing pads. Much of the gear train is running in 'bearings' which are moulded into the inside of the case and I suspect that if there is any difference in the tightness of the screws it can slightly distort the case. I've no proof of that, but when a motor runs slowly I've usually found that slackening the screws solves the problem.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2086 on: March 12, 2018, 09:00:01 PM »
The motor is quite noisy, but not unacceptably so and there is a nice reassuring click of the Peco points when they change over.

Where does the click come from, Laurence? I've got about 30 Cobalts and don't hear any clicks. If it's the point itself making the noise, have you removed the spring from the tie bar?

By the way, I've found that it's important not to over-tighten the fixing screws when using the fixing pads. Much of the gear train is running in 'bearings' which are moulded into the inside of the case and I suspect that if there is any difference in the tightness of the screws it can slightly distort the case. I've no proof of that, but when a motor runs slowly I've usually found that slackening the screws solves the problem.
No, Roger, I haven't removed the spring.  When I am changing a sequence of a up to a dozen points, it is quite reassuring to hear the click to confirm the change.  Perhaps when I become more used to the Cobalt motors and have more confidence in the changes, I will remove the springs.

I only managed to fit three screws, because the fourth was just too dificult, round the far side of the motor.  But I will check the tightness of the remaining screws to ensure they are not too tight.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2087 on: March 13, 2018, 07:46:35 PM »
I’m not usually one to crow(k) on about things, but this year the frogs have been spectacular.  We’ve had nothing like it since we left Astwood Bank in Worcestershire.  On Sunday, I spotted a boule (more like a cricket ball in size) of frogspawn.  Yesterday morning there was another and later I spied another frog in the act of spawning.  This morning there was another making four and this afternoon, we identified two more making six altogether.  I don’t think it’s over yet.  Some of the frogs are sitting with their head out of the water making the characteristic ‘Thrrrrrrr, thrrrrrr, thrrrrrrr’ noise.  Here’s one

And here’s one in the weed

In addition, there is movement in the pond which suggests interaction between males and females.  So we may finish up with a whole pond full of frogspawn.  Here are three boules, almost joined on to each other

But I digress.  Back to the Train Shed.  I am beginning to feel like a Chinese jade carver.  I find myself looking at the DOWN loops boards and wondering what will be the best use of the resources, now that I have the wherewithal and opportunity to make changes.  But in the meantime, I have mixed, but not thoroughly, some opaque black and opaque white acrylic paint in my air brush and created a dirty grey effect between the ballast and the bank on the UP leg board.

I think it needs another coat of dispersed black to create the right colour for the cinder type material that would have been the base for the ballast.  Then I created my first corridor connection between coaches.

Finally, I practised soldering droppers directly to the rails on part of the Shipton loops which I intend to replace.  The large solder blob on the left was produced by my 150W Weller solder gun and I was actually able to attach a wire to it. 

The wire that you can see was attached using my 25W Antex soldering iron.  The goods van is there to test the track to ensure that the solder did not impeded the wheels.  Both soldering attempts passed the running test.  So far, I have used Peco power feed joiners to feed the track, but my current thinking is to gradually replace them with hard soldered droppers.

Now, I’m awaiting the new order of Cobalt point motors, to allow me to get on with the renovation of the DOWN loops.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:06:02 AM by Innovationgame, Reason: Typo »
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2088 on: March 14, 2018, 07:55:42 AM »
I soldered all my droppers to the underside of the rails. Nice flat surface to work on and lower risk of causing problems.

I guess as you're 'retro-soldering' to already laid track that ain't an option!

The best results for me were using an similar Antex iron with a small tip.

Good luck with the upgrading - quite a bit of work but I'm sure it will give better running.

Dave G

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2089 on: March 14, 2018, 08:04:19 AM »
What a great post! I thought you were talking about point frogs!

Awesome post, funny and useful at the same time.

Thanks!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2090 on: March 14, 2018, 09:00:16 AM »
Looks like the word has gone out to Frogsville.
It's party time in Laurence's pond!!! :claphappy: :beers: :bounce:

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2091 on: March 14, 2018, 09:15:40 AM »
There're definitely live frogs rather than insulfrogs! :D
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2092 on: March 14, 2018, 09:19:02 AM »
 :doh:

Dave G

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #2093 on: March 14, 2018, 11:59:10 PM »
Hi there Laurence, you seem to have had no trouble with the Cobalt motors, they are cheaper of course in boxes of 12. Its funny some of my motors are noisy and some are quiet, got me wondering if I tightened the screws on some of them too tight, hence the noise. I find them very good and reliable, I have had two faulty ones but new ones were supplied under warranty by DCC concepts so no problem there.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2094 on: March 15, 2018, 06:32:00 AM »
This was yesterday’s update but the NGF website was down for quite a long time and, in the end I gave up until morning.

Today was a busy day, what with going to the gym in the morning and running the U3A table tennis group in the afternoon.  Then there was Sainsbury’s, because we have got rid of the kitchen fitter for a few days.  We are still waiting for the flooring to arrive and there are a couple of small additional task to be done, but our time is our own again, at least for a few more days.

There was more frogspawn this morning and I was able to get down to the Train Shed for a short while before we went out.  I decided that I need to lift the small DOWN loop board as well.  At first, I though I would cut the track at the join with the DOWN leg board and drilled suitable holes in the sleepers of all three tracks (UP, DOWN and branch) that cross the board join.  The idea was to insert track pins and then cut straight along the join with my razor saw.  But in my eagerness to get on, I cut the branch track through before I inserted the pins.  Surprise, surprise, the alignment changed, only very slightly, but enough for me to abandon the idea.  When I checked all three tracks, the pieces of track that crossed the join only ran a short way onto the DOWN leg board, so I decided to lift them and re-lay them once the work on the small board was complete.  I won’t need to disconnect them again to work on the DOWN leg board because it is only 300mm wide and there are no points.  Then I removed all the screws and prepared the board for lifting.

That was it for the early session, but I managed to fit in a few minutes after our return.  To lift the board, I had to disconnect most of the frog droppers from the Hex Frog Juicers. 

The Cobalt motors have a frog terminal.  It has occurred to me that this might offer the same service as a frog juicer if I connect the frog to it, but I just don’t know.  Perhaps someone can advise me.  It may be that I need to swap the red and black wires to terminals 1 and 2 to get it to work correctly.  If this can be done, it would relieve the problem of having to disconnect the frog droppers to lift the boards.  It would also mean I have spent quite a lot of money on frog juicers which now turn out to be not needed.

My order for twelve Cobalt digital point motors arrived while we were out.  Tomorrow I will set about installing the nine on the small board that I have just lifted and three of the six remaining on the large board (I have already replaced one).  It will almost certainly take me more one day because we plan to be out for quite a chunk of the day tomorrow.  If I order another box of twelve, that should be enough to move on to the small board at the UP end of the layout.  However, I will try to get things back to normal operations before moving on to the UP loops.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2095 on: March 15, 2018, 12:06:24 PM »
We had frogspawn in md January which is very early. Of course, the very cold weather of two weeks ago won’t have done it any good as the pond froze over. We are however hopeful that the deeper spawn has survived. We shall see.
Interestingly in the old quarry high up on the carn behind our cottage there are actually tadpoles (incredibly early) in the ponds.

These little chaps seem happy in one of the ponds high up on Carn  Marth this morning. Obviously survived the freeze of two weeks ago. The photo shows only a few tadpoles but there were actually plenty about. Only spawn in our own garden pond though.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2096 on: March 15, 2018, 06:15:20 PM »
I managed my usual early morning session today.  I began with fitting the fourth screw to the Cobalt I installed yesterday.  It was tricky, but I made it fast in the end.  Then I assembled the first of the new batch and removed the Seep.  Fitting the second should have been easier after the first installation but, somehow, it was more difficult.  I centred the blades of Point 28, inserted the point rod through the hole in the tie bar and fixed the Cobalt in place with its sticky pad. 

Unfortunately, when I finished the installation procedure, the point would only throw in one direction.  There simply wasn’t enough travel to throw the switch blades in the opposite direction.  So I had to prise it off the board and move it over a little.  Of course the sticky pad wasn’t as effective the second time, but I inserted a screw to hold it in place.  This time it worked, although I needed to move the fulcrum bar down slightly to ensure that there was an adequate margin for error.

When I came to disconnect the Seep from the Digikeijs, I realised that I had programmed the Cobalt with the wrong address and had to reprogram it which, fortunately, only takes a minute.  So by the time I had to go out for the first time, the second Cobalt was safely installed.

Later this morning, I managed another session and this time I fitted two more Cobalts, one for Point 25 and the other for Point 26.  They were a lot more straight forward to install.  Instead of fiddling with the point blades to get them to the central position, I inserted the Cobalt point rod through the hole in the tie rod, switched the point back and forth a couple of times by moving the whole Cobalt and then moved the point motor a fraction towards the middle of the throw before sticking it to the baseboard.  This method seemed to work well, involved less work and worked better that the method used for Point 28.  I managed to insert and tighten all the fixing screws, including some I had missed earlier.  I also removed the original Seeps and tidied up the wiring.

We then had another sortie, which kept me away from the Train Shed until mid-afternoon.  However, when I returned, I managed to install two more Cobalts, one for Point 29 and the other for Point 27.  By now I was beginning to get the hang of it and I should be able to speed up further when I start again.  I fixed all the screws, removed the unwanted Seeps and even had time to unscramble some of the spaghetti wiring.  By the time I have finished, everything should look a lot tidier, although there will still be hanging wires because of the form of construction of the baseboards.  One day, I might just tear it all up and start again with a much more user-friendly baseboard arrangement.  But that may be several years down the track.  Here is the current state of play on the small board, with five Cobalts installed and four Seeps remaining.

I have another busy afternoon tomorrow, but I should be able to get on with Cobalt installation during the morning.  I hope to be able to at least complete the remaining four installations on the small board, but I’m not sure whether I will have time to start work on the large board.  I must order the next lot of Cobalts.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2097 on: March 15, 2018, 07:16:14 PM »
Stop Press

While the railway is under major maintenance, the services are being maintained by a fleet of Coventry Corporation Transport buses, on loan to the Aylesbury and Worcester Railway.

With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #2098 on: March 15, 2018, 08:44:49 PM »
Stop Press

While the railway is under major maintenance, the services are being maintained by a fleet of Coventry Corporation Transport buses, on loan to the Aylesbury and Worcester Railway.

A lovely photo. I much prefer these oldies to the modern characterless charabancs. 
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #2099 on: March 15, 2018, 10:08:27 PM »
Love the pic of the buses, pleased to hear how successful you are with the Cobalts, I prefer mine to the Peco or Seep motors. By the way you can use the switch to work the frog, I only have one digital cobalt and mine controls the frog, you need the wires the correct way round for the frog polarity, sorry forgot how I did mine. I also have mine with a local push switch on the edge of the board near the point, I can work it digitally or press the switch.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:10:56 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations