!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 152228 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1860 on: January 12, 2018, 08:19:34 PM »
Today, we had to pick up the car from the repairers, so that led to some fragmentation in my Train Shed activity.  First, I made some watercolour touch-ups to the edges of the tunnels.  Tomorrow, I need to start on the DOWN tunnels.  The structure there reminds me a bit of Beechwood Tunnel between Tile Hill and Berkswell &Balsall Common on the London and Birmingham.  I used to walk over that and pick blackberries.

Then I managed to run some timetable sub-cycles.  6417 is running particularly badly and I had to set the acceleration time back to zero before I could get it to run successfully.  Also, Forthampton Grange is having starting problems again.  In addition 80119 had problems at the points exiting the DOWN loops.  I also had a problem with Eire suddenly stopping.  I was able to get it going again, but when I tried to reverse it to have another run, it just would not run.  It seems that the valve gear was locking up in reverse, so I might need to have another look at it.  I had a good look today, but I couldn’t see the problem.  But it ran forwards without another problem. 

Yesterday, I did a little touching up with graphite sticks, but those areas seemed to be the most problematical, so I recleaned them with IPA, which led to some improvement.  Stanier Class 5, 45206 also had starting problems today, but it seemed to be OK afterwards.  Most of the locos are running well and I have now finished another complete timetable.  Tomorrow, I will have a look at the cab-to-tender wires and Forthampton Grange’s bogie.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1861 on: January 13, 2018, 06:48:20 PM »
I had some more good news yesterday.  The dry graphite that I had ordered arrived in the post.  I have yet to use it because all the trains are working well and none has any problem with the load, but it’s ready and waiting if I need to lubricate any wheel bearings.  I ordered two because they were fairly cheap and I thought I might as well extract the maximum value from the postage.

First thing this morning, I set about adding grass to the next tunnel structure.  It turns out that the first tunnels that I showed before are called Gatsby Tunnels.  The branch tunnel is short and quite separate to the mainline tunnel, which is a over a mile long.  This is because the branch deviates quite sharply away from the mainline in the tunnel, heading in the direction of Norton.  The seconds tunnels, that I started today are called Oakwood Tunnels.  The branch again deviates away from the mainline in the tunnel, heading off to Shipton.  I first started on the top of the tunnel structure.

Then we had our usual walk into Hessle to the butchers and for coffee.  The rest of the morning and some of the afternoon were taken up with domestic chores but, eventually, I was able to get back to the Train Shed.  I used my Rule 55 sheet to release Forthampton Grange out onto the mainline and moved it round to the station, where I was able to lift it and put it in the loco inversion cradle.  First, I used the spare 38XX bogie screw that DCC Supplies sent me when I asked for a spare for the 38XX and secured the bogie.  Then I used my Optivisor to remove the screws holding the severed cab-to-tender wires.  It turned out that both were severed.  Fortunately, I have a miniature magnetic screwdriver set (down to screw size 000) and several pairs of fine tweezers.  I managed to extract the first two screws but, when I was removing the wire tag from one of them, it shot out of the tweezers and I was unable to find it.  It was a good job I had ordered a spare pair of screws when I ordered the wires.  After that, I was able to complete all four screws and tuck the surplus wire up into the footplate area.  Here’s Forthampton Grange with the new wires secured.

While I was doing this, the Cardan shaft managed to disconnect itself and it was quite a fiddle to reconnect it because it had rotated and became out of alignment.  However, I managed to rotate it back again and all was well.  I tested Forthampton Grange with the new wires, but it was very graunchy and came to a halt more than once.  But it was usually able to recover on its own.

Then I lifted Cranmore Hall, which had one wire severed.  Then I found that there were no screws on the cab side because, when I had my first problem with it, I had soldered the wires onto the tags.  Fortunately, one was sound, so I was able to use the remaining screw to secure the new wire.  It was a real fiddle to unsolder the existing wire and then fit the screw into the socket but, in the end, all was well.  After I put Cranmore Hall back and tested it, I then ran Forthampton Grange round to its ‘home’ loop and it ran really well this time.  I have added some graphite to one or two points on the tracks, but I am not convinced that it didn’t make things worse, so I will give everything a good clean with IPA again.  When I had finished work on the locos, I reset the points and put the Rule 55 sheet to bed.

During this session, I managed to complete the first pass at completing the Oakwood Tunnels grass.  Before I left, I returned it to the layout.

I need to touch up the edges of the tunnel structures, ready for attaching the portals and adding walls.  Hopefully, I will be able to report progress on this soon.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1862 on: January 14, 2018, 07:55:21 PM »
After the loco servicing of yesterday and the completion of the base layers of grass on both tunnels, I thought that, given the running issues I have had over the last few days, I would resort to yet another cleaning cycle.  In fact, the actual track cleaning doesn’t take long at all.  To clean each set of loops takes about ten minutes and the open tracks take slightly longer.  The main time-consuming part of track cleaning is moving the trains about to leave clear tracks for cleaning.  Anyway, first thing this morning, I cleaned all the open tracks and then moved everything out of the UP loops ready for cleaning them.  Normally, we go for a walk along the river after that, but Celia had a problem with trying to log into her pension website so, by the time we had sorted that out, it was time for coffee.  Then I had quite a lot of cutting back in the garden.  In the afternoon, I had quite a few jobs to do before it was time for a cup of tea.  Then I went back to the Train Shed and finished the entire cleaning run. 

After cleaning the UP loops, I moved the trains to enable me to clean the DOWN loops.  I took the opportunity to take some pictures of trains as they moved around the layout.  First is a picture of 45572 ‘Eire’ standing at Platform 2 with its ten coaches, which just fit into the length of the platform.

Here’s another picture from a distance, showing the whole train in the station.

Later, I was able to get a picture of 46122 ‘Royal Ulster Rifleman’ emerging from Gatsby Tunnel with a DOWN twelve-coach express.

Later still, I snapped this one of 5041 ‘Tiverton Castle’ just about to enter Gatsby Tunnel with an UP eleven-coach express.

When I had cleaned all of the DOWN loops, I remarshalled the trains back to the ‘home’ loops.  Recently, there has been talk of fish trains on other topics. So I thought I would show a picture of 92006 emerging from Gatsby Tunnel with an DOWN fish train, for comparison with the picture of an A4 with a fish train emerging from a tunnel.

During the final movements, Stanier Class 5, 45206, began to labour with its milk train, with much grinding of tender drive wheels.  So tomorrow, before I do anything else, I will have to investigate whether the problem is caused by bearing friction in the train or the need for lubrication of the valve gear.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:21:14 AM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1863 on: January 15, 2018, 08:04:25 AM »
Great photo's Laurence, good to see you getting some issues with the loco's resolved

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #1864 on: January 15, 2018, 08:11:14 AM »
Love the fish train!

Much discussion about same on Wrenton thread at moment!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1865 on: January 15, 2018, 08:51:39 AM »
Talking of the superlative Wrenton. Here is what Roger posted re: static grass which may be useful for you, too, Laurence: "Hi Chris. Yes, static grass everywhere! I wish it had been around when I last tried building a layout (1960s - ouch!). Most of it is War World Scenics but there's a little bit of Noch here and there. As with painting roads, I think it's important not to use the same colour all over an area. I've avoided using the spring colours and only used the summer ones mixed with some autumn colours. Their patchy mix is quite useful, too. I've used Gaugemaster glue most of the time, but have also used the WWS stuff. Also the latter's layering spray for adding longer or differenly coloured patches. I usually make a paper mask when using the spray adhesive so that I can control the area that I want to cover. I use 1mm length in cared-for situations (mostly the gardens, of course) and 2mm as the norm elsewhere but with some 4mm here and there (along that fence in the village photo for example) and even a few small areas of 6mm.

There are some step by step videos on the WWS web site (http://www.war-world.co.uk/) and loads more on YouTube."

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1866 on: January 15, 2018, 08:03:32 PM »
Today was a rather strange day.  First, I checked the operation of Point 26 in the DOWN loops, which had failed again yesterday.  The turnout blade had become detached from the tie bar.  This was the fourth time it has happened.  The first two times, I simply levered the lug back into the slot in the tie bar and it worked for a few weeks, before failing again.  On the third occasion, I put a dab of PVA on the inside of the switch blade to stop it from moving.  However, it failed again yesterday.  This time I have put a dab of UHU onto the inside of the switch blade.  If it fails again, I will try one of the singe use Superglue capsules that I have.  The final fall-back plan is to replace the point with a spare one I have, but that will entail lifting at least one other point and some track, so it’s not a simple job.  But, when I tested it this morning, all was well.  I’ll just have to keep my fingers crossed (not that it will make any difference).

Then I began to address the problems with Stanier Class 5, 45206.  The first task was to invoke Rule 55 and set some points to allow it to circulate on test.  It was terrible.  But then we had to go off to play table tennis, which was the end of Train Shed operations for the morning.

Later, we had the plasterer visit to assess the work involved in removing all the tiles in the kitchen before our kitchen makeover.  In the afternoon, I began to drain the wildlife pond.  I don’t know what’s happened to it but, in the Autumn, it started to smell rather like sewerage and an oily film formed on the surface.  Later, I noticed that all the snails were floating, dead, on the surface.  So, today,  I took one of our hose reels, connected it to the tap and turned on the water.  I stretched it away so that the far end was lower that the bottom of the pond and opened the outlet until I was sure the hose was full, then I closed the outlet.  I was then able to turn off the water and disconnect the hose from the tap before submerging the tap end of the hose in the pond.  I opened the outlet at the far end and the water began to flow, although only at a dribble.  By tea time (sorry, dinner time) the level had dropped by about three inches, so I will just leave it draining until it’s empty.

But I digress.  After a cup of tea, I returned to the Train Shed to address the problems of 45206.  First, I removed the train and ran the loco as a light engine, without the obligatory speed restrictions.  It still wasn’t good, although much better than with a full load.  I tested each tanker in turn, in addition to the brake van.  All but four were very free running.  Two of the others responded to some wheel spinning.  The other two were not so good.  Here’s 45206 with the removed tankers.

The two on the left were the worst.  I tried puffing some graphite powder into the bearings, but that seemed to make matters worse.  Then I applied some Dapol oil and worked them back and forth over some kitchen role covered track to remove all the oil from the wheels.  They were still not much better.  So I reassembled the train, minus the two suspect tankers and tried some circuits.  There was much grinding of tender drive wheels on some of the curves, mostly tight radius ones but, notably, on one of the largest radius curves.  I noticed that the tender seemed slightly askew.  I removed the loco and examined the tender.  One of the rear axle traction tyres was missing and the other was half off the metal tyre.  I replaced it, but there was no improvement.  Indeed, it seemed to become worse.  Another examination showed that the tyre had come off again, so I removed it.  There was still no improvement and I surmised that it needed two new traction tyres.

Fortunately, I had a small stock of ‘O’ traction tyres that I had bought for Dicheat Manor when it had shed its tyres.  With a certain amount of manipulation, using two pairs of fine tweezers, I was able to fit the new tyres successfully.  Here’s 45206, on its back, in the service cradle, after the two tyres were fitted.

To my great relief, that did the trick.  Everything was back to normal and I was able to reduce the top speed back to its original setting.  I had increased it during the investigation to see if that would help, but it didn’t.  So, there was not much modelling, nor running today, but at least we are back in business again.  My final action was to reset the Rule 55 points to normal and sign them off. 

I must investigate the traction tyres of 45572 ‘Eire’ because it displayed the same symptoms after the previous track cleaning session although it seemed to improve again later.  I may need to check traction tyres more regularly.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1867 on: January 15, 2018, 08:34:45 PM »
I'm starting to wonder if one of your track cleaning fluids is attacking the rubber of the traction tyres, Laurence :hmmm:
I'm not aware of IPA attacking rubber but, out of curiosity, once you've cleaned with IPA do you leave it for a few minutes to evaporate before running anything over it?

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1868 on: January 15, 2018, 09:25:11 PM »
I'm starting to wonder if one of your track cleaning fluids is attacking the rubber of the traction tyres, Laurence :hmmm:
I'm not aware of IPA attacking rubber but, out of curiosity, once you've cleaned with IPA do you leave it for a few minutes to evaporate before running anything over it?
I clean it with IPA on clean card and then use another piece of clean card to dry it off and absorb any residue.  It's generally some minutes after cleaning before any trains run over the newly cleaned track.  The problem with Eire started after using Track Magic, so I'm not going to be using that again.  What is strange is that, after a full cleaning, every time I run a piece of clean card over the track, it gathers track stains just like when I am cleaning it .  No matter how many times I repeat this, it still happens.  I can only think that a microscopoic layer of metal film is being coated onto the card.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1869 on: January 16, 2018, 09:41:48 AM »
I used the 'Clean Track Solution' out of the WS Tidy Track cleaning kit and found it left a greasy residue on the track so, needless to say, I have never used it again and just use IPA with the kit. Trouble is the pads tend to snag on pointwork.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1870 on: January 16, 2018, 10:48:24 AM »
I know we have often discussed track cleaning on here but I wonder how often people clean the their track/wheels.
I clean my track (using IPA rubbed on with card) about every 8 weeks but I do pay extra attention to the points, making sure using a tiny scraper, that no crud has accumulated around the plastic frogs (I use insulfrogs)I also clean the inside of the blades where they make contact.  Sometimes, I have to quickly clean a small section of track if I notice a stutter but that’s faiirly infrequent,
I also clean the wheels of all my locos about every 3 months using my Tidy Trak wheel cleaner. Occasionally, if a loco is a little “off colour” I’ll perform an ad-hoc wheel clean.
As for stock - well I’m completely lazy and never do it unless I notice a problem.
This routine keeps me going quite well and I run trains probably 5 days a werk (but sometimes only for 5 mins or so).
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1871 on: January 16, 2018, 08:22:39 PM »
After a few days without any timetable running, I decided that I needed to run a few trains to get back into the swing of things.  So first thing, I managed the first six sub-cycles of a new timetable.  First off, 9744 was a bit uneven on its first outrun, but thereafter it was OK, so I think it was just suffering from inaction in a not-too-warm environment.  80119 also had trouble getting out of UP Loop 5 but, eventually, it ran nice and smoothly again.  Forthampton Grange needed a little prod to get started from UP Loop 2, but apart from a little jerkiness, which is normal for that loco, it ran well.  When the milk train came out of the loops, 45206 ran absolutely perfectly, as though it was new, so the replacement traction tyres have really done their job. 

After that, we went off to the gym and then to our weekly expedition to J Sainsbury.  In the afternoon, I had to put more work into the pond.  The initial draining had finished and I needed to re-prime the syphon to remove the remaining water from the water lily sump.  Once the syphon was running again, I removed the sludge from the exposed bottom (or at least, as much as I could).  It meant shovelling it into a bucket and then draining it through a sieve, before dumping it into the wheel barrow.  Eventually, it was all dumped into the compost system.

Later, I was able to complete the first full cycle.  Here’s a few pictures of the station on the next sub-cycle.  First you see all the trains in the station from the UP end.  Nearest the camera is 9744 with its ‘B’ set branch passenger train at Platform 4.  Further away, on the adjacent track, is 45206 with the milk train, standing at the milk deport platform.  On the other side of the island platform, at Platform 3, stands B17, 61664 ‘Liverpool’ with an eight-coach Peterborough-bound intermediate passenger train.  On the DOWN main, at Platform 2, is 80119 with a local passenger bound for Worcester.  In the distance, you can see J39, 64960, with the local goods at the goods depot platform.

This is a picture taken from the other end of the station, with the same trains in the same positions.

The next picture is a close(r) up of Liverpool and 9744, with 80119’s train behind Liverpool.

However, after the photos, 80119 had a rather unfortunate run into DOWN Loop 13.  First it ran into the back of the local goods in the goods depot, because I had failed to reset the points after the goods sub-cycle.  I backed it up and reset the points before setting it off again.  Then, it ran into the camera tripod, which must have moved inadvertently when I removed the camera for the photo shoot.  Eventually, I managed to restore it to its correct location.  Everything else worked fine until 80119’s turn came around again.  This time, it stalled at Point 25 on the way out of the DOWN loops and again at Point 37 approaching the platform.  Then it failed to start from Platform 2 and stalled again under the London Road Bridge.  However, everything else was fine.

After that, I turned my attention to the tunnel structures.  I have fixed some walling into place around the approach to the branch side of Gatsby Tunnels. 

The work isn’t complete yet, but I think it gives an indication of the final result.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1872 on: January 17, 2018, 09:02:30 PM »
I would have liked to have got on with some more modelling today, but was mainly confined to running.  First thing, I ran the next six sub-cycles.  9744 was a bit uneven to start with, but soon warmed up.  Also, Forthampton Grange needed a prod to get it started from Platform 3.  But all in all, most things ran pretty well.  80119 had a hiccup at Point 37, the turnout for the branch and 45572 had a stall at Point 31, in the exit from the DOWN loops, otherwise everything was fine.  Then it was time for the gym. 

After our return, I had quite a bit of printing to do for U3A and the afternoon started with a continuation of the pond work.  I managed to shovel up most of the sludge, which went off to the compost system.  Then I started to fill it with clean water.  Later, I managed to get back to the Train Shed for a short session.  I was able to run the remaining four sub-cycles with only a few coughs from 6417 and a solitary prod to get Ditcheat Manor started from Loop 16, although 80119 had another London Road Bridge episode.

Then I had a quick assessment of how I can use some Shaper Sheet around the London Road Bridge.  I am also thinking about how I can modify the operational timetable to allow more running of some of the locos.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1873 on: January 17, 2018, 09:11:08 PM »
Thanks for all the updates, Laurence. I do hope that you'll be able to solve all the running problems. New model locos. on a new layout where they are run very regularly (unlike mine) over long distances should not exhibit so many problems, surely? I don't recall reading of so many problems in similar circumstances. It's rather worrying.

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1874 on: January 18, 2018, 09:07:43 PM »
Today, I just made four timetable sub-cycle runs.  But I did make a composite video of one of the runs.  Now, over the last few weeks (and indeed months) you may have got the impression that I have real trouble with my locos.  However, most run OK and I really can’t complain overall.  To give you a flavour of what’s really going on I have listed them here.

Loco1:  4915 ex-GWR Hall Class 4-6-0 ‘Cranmore Hall’.
It pulls an intermediate passenger train of 9 chocolate and cream corridor coaches, stopping at Marton Hinmarche.  It runs really well, and its one severed tender-to cab wire (now repaired) didn’t really affect it.

Loco 2: 46443 ex-LMS Ivatt Class 2MT 2-6-0.
It pulls a local passenger train of 4 marron non-corridor coaches, stopping at Marton Hinmarche.  It runs absolutely beautifully.

Loco 3:  3846 ex-GWR 38XX Class 2-8-0.
It pulls a long distance mineral train of 27 mineral wagons plus a brake van, non-stop, running at a very, very slow speed.  It runs extremely well and just has to be speeded up a bit over the points in the hidden loops.

Loco 4:  6837 ex-GWR Grange Class 4-6-0 ‘Forthampton Grange’.
It pulls an intermediate passenger train of 7 crimson and cream corridor coaches, stopping at Marton Hinmarche.  It runs fairly well, but needs an occasional prod to get it started from rest.  It has always been somewhat jerky in drawbar pull.

Loco 5:  92006 BR Standard Class 9F 2-10-0.
It pulls a long distance perishbles train of 27 insulated vans (mostly of which are fish vans) plus a brake van, non-stop, running at about 5mph (scale speed).  It runs extremely well but is inclined to wheel spin a little on start-up.  It has traction tyres on the middle drivers.

Loco 6:  61664 ex-LNER B17 Class 4-6-0 ‘Liverpool’.
It pulls an intermediate passenger train of 8 crimson and cream corridor coaches, stopping at Marton Hinmarche.  It runs beautifully, but the bogie can derail in the milk loop crossovers, which only come into play on the track-cleaning cycle.

Loco 7:  45206 ex-LMS Stanier Class 5 4-6-0.
It pulls a milk train of 12 milk tank wagons plus a brake van.  It runs extremely well although it recently had a problem owing to missing or faulty traction tyres.

Loco 8:  5041 ex-GWR Castle Class 4-6-0 ‘Tiverton Castle’.
It pulls an express passenger train of 11 chocolate and cream corridor coaches, non-stop.  It runs really well.

Loco 9:  45572 ex-LMS Jubilee Class 4-6-0 ‘Eire’.
It pulls an intermediate passenger train of 10 crimson and cream corridor coaches, stopping at Marton Hinmarche.  It runs really well, although there have been a couple of incidents of it stopping on points in the hidden loops.

Loco 10:  64960 ex-LNER J39 Class 0-6-0.
It pulls a local goods train of 13 assorted wagons plus a brake van, running at a very, slow speed.  It runs extremely well and just has to be managed a little over the station cross-overs..

Loco 11:  46122 ex-LMS rebuilt Royal Scott Class 4-6-0 ‘Royal Ulster Rifleman’.
It pulls an express passenger train of 21 crimson and cream corridor coaches, non-stop.  It runs really well.

Loco 12:  80119 BR Standard Class 4 2-6-4T.
It pulls a local passenger train of 6 marron non-corridor coaches, stopping at Marton Hinmarche.  It runs mainly OK, but does have the occasional stop at various points.

Loco 15:  7821 ex-GWR Manor Class 4-6-0 ‘Ditcheat Manor’.
It pulls a parcels train of 4 full brakes plus a GUV, stopping at Marton Hinmarche.  It runs fairly well, but sometimes needs a prod to get it started from rest.  It has always been somewhat jerky in drawbar pull, although less so that Forthampton Grange.

Loco 19:  9744 ex-GWR 57XX Class 0-6-0PT.
It pulls the Branch passenger, a crimson ‘B’ set.  It generally behaves very well, but, on the odd occasion, can need a prod to start from rest.

Loco 20:  6417 ex-GWR 64XX Class 0-6-0PT
It pulls the Branch goods, assorted wagons plus two brake vans.  It often behaves well, but can be inclined to stall without warning, often at favourite spots..

To give you an idea of the running, I have made up a composite video of sub-cycle 10a.

Perhaps tomorrow, I might be able to get on with some scenic work.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £265.00
Above Goal: £210.00
Site Currency: GBP
482% 
December Donations