New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 152110 times)

Invicta Alec and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1770 on: December 14, 2017, 10:03:01 PM »
Good evening Laurence, have you thought about access to under the tunnel. You will need to clean the track in that section has well as the possibility of a train stopping and needing the hand of god to get it going again. Here a couple of pics of what I did on a similar tunnel section on my layout, the rest of the tunnel behind a big ply board lifts off completely for access. Its going to have a town built on it sometime in the future, its another of those jobs that needs doing.

this section lifts off for access.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1771 on: December 15, 2017, 08:09:43 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, Chris.

The idea of Shaper Sheet is that, once it's moulded and finished with Shaper Sheet Plaster, it forms a hard shell that can be lifted off to access the track.  The problem is interfacing it with the Metcalfe card tunnel entrances.  But, if I made a plywood box section to fit against the tunnel entrances, I could make the Shaper Sheet to fit the plywood box and that should do the trick.  I'll need to think about the design of the box and then make it, but I think that might just be the answer.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1772 on: December 15, 2017, 05:56:22 PM »
Being Friday, I managed almost two hours in the Train Shed first thing this morning.  Today was a track cleaning day.  That means that every train ran at least twice, once to clear the loops and again to return it to its ‘home’ stable loop.  As usual, first I cleaned all the track between the storage loops.  I have really taken to the card and IPA method.  It deposits large amounts of black muck on the card, so I hope it makes the track a lot cleaner.  After cleaning all the ‘open’ track, I moved everything out of the UP loops and cleaned them.  Then I moved everything out of the DOWN loops ready to clean them.  6417 stalled again on the run from the DOWN loops.  I cleaned its wheels, but I was still not convinced about its performance.  I may try a little Dapol oil on its bearings.  After coffee, I had a number of garden jobs to do, so I returned to the Train Shed for a short period before dinner time (sorry, I think I’m supposed to call it lunch these days).  After cleaning the DOWN loops, I moved everything back to their home loops, starting with the trains temporarily held in the station.  Here’s a video of Cranmore Hall starting from Platform 4 and making its way round the layout, through the UP loops and eventually stopping in DOWN Loop 15.

I managed an hour in the Train Shed again this afternoon.  This time, I concentrated on the tunnels.  I have some ply panels that were not required for the backscene so I started cutting pieces to make a box to support the Shaper Sheet.  Here’s the first box, ready to insert into place behind the UP tunnel.

I fitted it into position and it fits quite well.

I now need to make a second box for the single-track tunnel.  This will join onto the first one behind the tunnel entrance, which I have put in place here to show the effect.

I will then have to add some vertical pieces to support the Shaper Sheet.  I may treat this as a prototype and then make another ‘finished’ product, but I’ll see how this one turns out when I try to fit the Shaper Sheet onto it.  When the UP tunnels are complete, I will then make another set of boxes to fit the tunnels at the DOWN end of the layout.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #1773 on: December 16, 2017, 12:00:41 AM »
Hi Laurence

Putting a support frame in like this is the way to go. Presumably this will be a lift-out arrangement or can you get your hand down the box?

Rather than vertical pieces of wood to support the spacer sheet, I suggest gluing on some pieces of extruded polystyrene especially if you have a hot knife for shaping it. In fact, if you cover the box with EPS entirely and shape it, you may not need your shaper sheet at all.

Webbo

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1774 on: December 16, 2017, 06:07:06 PM »
Today was another day of tunnel construction.  First thing, I cut out the sections for the single-track tunnel and drilled them ready for fixing together.  After that, we had our usual Saturday foray into Hessle to the butchers and the coffee shop.  It was cold and icy this morning, so we had to be careful of our footing as we walked into town.  I decided that it was too cold for the garden after we arrived back home, so I had another session in the Train Shed.  I began by fixing the box section together and put it into place beside the double track one.

Then I began work on the platform to carry the Shaper Sheet.  By dinner time, I had cut out the base to shape and fitted the battens, ready for fitting the risers to give a rough outline for the Shaper Sheet.  Here it is in place.

When everything’s finished, the idea will be to be able to lift off the Shaper Sheet platform, complete with Shaper Sheet and then remove each tunnel box section to access the track.  After dinner, I set about digging up all the parsnips and carrots because, as the winter progresses, the tops die down completely and it becomes impossible to identify the position of the roots.  The best of the carrots are long gone, but there were plenty of good sized parsnips, as you can see here.

After I had pulled some cabbages for tonight’s and tomorrow's evening meal, I returned to my task of the tunnels.  First I cut out and fixed into place the back panel, from which the Shaper Sheet will descend.  Then I spent some time measuring up and cutting out the risers. Here they are all fitted into place, ready to be screwed down. 

I need to make a section for the bottom, on the nearer side of the single-track tunnel.  Then, before I install the Shaper Sheet, I will fix the Metcalfe tunnel entrances to their respective boxes and replace the side wall with a new one fixed directly to the double-track box section.  But, once that’s all done, I will be able to progress with the Shaper Sheet.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1775 on: December 17, 2017, 08:15:45 PM »
First thing this morning, I screwed the risers onto the Shaper Sheet platform, before we went for our Sunday morning walk.  This week it was delivering Christmas cards.

After coffee, I went back to the Train Shed and thought I ought to run a few trains, as it is a couple of days since any ran.  Oh dear!  First 9744 started OK and then really ran into problems, first losing power intermittently and then stopping altogether.  Remembering that my last operational activity was a complete track clean, I first tried cleaning the wheels, but to no effect.  Then I tried a drop of Dapol oil on the gears, but still without success.  Then I tried 6417 running light engine on the branch, again with awful results.  So I did some emergency switching, using my Rule 55 sheet and tried the two in a tail chase, with zero acceleration on the main.  Thing were not good, so I tried running Tiverton Castle with its full express train and that ran OK.  After that, the paniers improved, although not completely.  It is as though a film had formed on the track through lack of use and the express train helped to remove it.  In the end, I was able to return the two paniers to the branch line, albeit with acceleration set to zero, but at least they now worked.

I was then able to run the first three sub-cycles, although as each new section of track cane into use, there was some faltering.  But, in the end, I did manage to complete all the runs.  I ran them through the new, nearly complete, tunnel section.  Here you can see 80119 and Cranmore Hall about to pass each other just outside the tunnels.

During the afternoon, I had a number of household-related tasks to do, but I did manage another hour in the Train Shed before our guests arrived.  I have now constructed all the fabric (if that’s the right word for ply construction) of the tunnel sections and I am now ready to add the Shaper Sheet. 

Once the whole thing is finished, I will be able to fix the tunnel mouths in place and add some stone wall card to the exposed bits of ply.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #1776 on: December 18, 2017, 09:44:08 AM »
A neat bit of fabrication there. I'm sure it will be a tremendous help in supporting and blending in the shaper sheet.  :thumbsup:

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1777 on: December 18, 2017, 08:06:28 PM »
First thing this morning, I worked on the tunnels.  The first job was to start by cutting the Shaper Sheet to size and fixing it to the back board.  I have used a hand staple gun suitable for upholstery to fix the Shaper Sheet to the frame.  Here you can see the Shaper Sheet taking shape, so to speak.

You will notice the bumps and depressions, typical of the sort of ground that might lie above a tunnel.  Once the first part was fixed and cut, it was just a question of continuing the process over the whole frame.

Once everything was trimmed off I was able to put it in place with the tunnel entrances placed in the correct positions.  I still have to replace the walls (including fitting a new wall surface to the wing wall on the left).

However, before I do any more to the walls and tunnel mouths, I will need to add Shaper Sheet plaster to the surface of the Shaper Sheet and then colour it with a base colour.  I will add some fine green flock to give a base grass surface.

After that, I concentrated on some more timetable running.  I found that the branch line had become practically unusable again, so I concentrated on the mainline operations.  There were some hiccups and I had a few tail chases to try to clean everything up.  In the end, the main line was working well enough to last until the next track cleaning session.

My next session began with a thorough clean of the branch line.  That made things really workable again and I was able to restore the acceleration to both panier tanks.  Although they generally needed a prod or slight push to get them started, they worked pretty well, once they were moving.  So I was able to carry on with more timetable runs, this time including the branch line operations.  I made a couple of videos of trains through the station.  The first has 9744 arriving from Shipton, followed by a local DOWN passenger headed by 80119.  Then 45572 ‘Eire’ arrives at Platform 3 before moving off again in the direction of London.  After that, 9744 departs for Norton and, finally, 80119 heads off towards Worcester.

In the second clip, 9744 has already arrived from Norton at Platform 4.  First you see Ivatt ogul 46443 arrive with an UP local passenger at Platform 3, before 92006 comes thundering through Platform 2 with DOWN Fish train.  Then 46443 moves off in the direction of Aylesbury, followed by 9744 departing for Shipton.

In both videos, there are a couple of discontinuities, partly because I over-ran the arrivals and partly because of a reluctance to start unaided.  I’ll have to see what tomorrow brings.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1778 on: December 18, 2017, 08:10:11 PM »
Thanks for the update Laurence. I do like the way in which the two tunnel mouths are staggered. Looks much more effective than being side by side.

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline greenlaneman

• N Gauge Society Number: 25444
    • Awards
« Reply #1779 on: December 19, 2017, 01:12:59 PM »
In all your references to poor/bad running and fixes for same, you only refer to cleaning track and wheels. Have you looked at the pickups? Fluff and other debris can get between the pickups and the wheels causing bad/intermittent contact.
Homeopathic warfare - the smallest army wins!
Terry Pratchett

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #1780 on: December 19, 2017, 02:00:47 PM »

Once everything was trimmed off I was able to put it in place with the tunnel entrances placed in the correct positions.  I still have to replace the walls (including fitting a new wall surface to the wing wall on the left).

Just needs the local children sledging does that, looks very like a snow covered field / scrubland to me!
(I know it's the bare plaster)

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1781 on: December 19, 2017, 04:16:18 PM »
In all your references to poor/bad running and fixes for same, you only refer to cleaning track and wheels. Have you looked at the pickups? Fluff and other debris can get between the pickups and the wheels causing bad/intermittent contact.
I tried cleaning the pickups once and wrecked the loco, so I'm a bit wary about doing it again.  Fortunately the one I wrecked was under guarantee and they replaced it FOC.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #1782 on: December 19, 2017, 04:20:36 PM »
I tried cleaning the pickups once and wrecked the loco, so I'm a bit wary about doing it again.  Fortunately the one I wrecked was under guarantee and they replaced it FOC.

I like the little brush that came with my trackmagic, dipped in and then gently slid between wheel and pickup and I've not noticed any issues following this process.

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1783 on: December 19, 2017, 08:46:54 PM »
I have come to a decision about construction and running.  It looks as though the sawing of plywood had caused problems with the track.  There is no sawdust anywhere near most of the problem areas.  But plywood contains a lot of adhesive, sticking the layers of ply together.  I suspect that, when it is sawn, even though I am only using a tenon saw, some of the adhesive is dispersed into the atmosphere as microscopic droplets or particles, invisible to the naked eye.  Now, the mainlines seem to have been returned to a reasonable state of cleanliness just by the volume of traffic running over them.  The branch has been cleaned and, after some problems with the milk loop and goods loop, they have now both been cleaned.  So I will limp along with running at the moment and defer any further construction work until the end of the full timetable.  At that point, I will construct the tunnel frames for the DOWN tunnels, followed by a comprehensive clean of the track.  After the suggestion of Track Magic, I will order some and see if that can help with the problem.  I don’t think there’s a pickup problem because both 9744 and 6417 start OK if pressure is applied to the tops of the boilers, thus increasing the conductivity between the wheels and the track.  Once moving, they are fine.

First thing this morning, I did some more timetable running, before we went off to the gym.  After the gym, we made our final, pre-Christmas supermarket trip to J Sainsbury and spent all our accumulated Nectar points.  After something to eat, I was commandeered to record some ‘music’ (Played by Celia) for a Christmas game (I think it’s spot what this was called on the sheet music).  After a cup of tea and making up the fire for the log burner, I eventually returned to the Train Shed for some more timetable running.  Just to show that things are not running too badly, I made a video of Timetable sub-cycle 11a.  First 9744 arrives with a branch passenger from Shipton, followed by 80119 with a mainline local passenger from Aylesbury.  Then 61664 ‘Liverpool’ arrives with an UP intermediate passenger from Worcester, destined for somewhere in East Anglia.  After a brief pause, Liverpool departs pursuing its onward journey.

You will notice a discontinuity as 9744 starts, which is due to my having to give some encouragement manually.  Finally, 80119 departs on its way to Worcester.

When Liverpool was exiting the DOWN loops, it derailed at Point 26.  92006 had derailed at the same point during the previous sub-cycle.  On inspection, I found that one of the point blades had had liberated itself from the tie bar.  Fortunately, with the aid of a pair of tweezers, I was able to relocate its lug into the tie bar.  This is not the first time this has happened with a Code 55 point, so I have to assume that it is a weakness of them.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:54:54 PM by Innovationgame, Reason: Addendum »
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1784 on: December 20, 2017, 07:56:16 AM »
Thank you, Laurence, and a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you both. Perhaps you need to use one of those mini vacuum cleaners all along the track? I look forward to the next instalment.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £200.00
Above Goal: £145.00
Site Currency: GBP
364% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything