New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 151709 times)

25901JFM and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1695 on: November 26, 2017, 06:23:38 PM »
Hope the tablets do their job soon Laurence
Take ir easy.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1696 on: November 26, 2017, 07:31:12 PM »
Take care and I hope you are better soon.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1697 on: November 26, 2017, 10:10:28 PM »
Just to clear up any misunderstand. The tablet is this cheap thing I am holding in my hand, not anything I am taking. It's a bit of a pain to use, but that is all mental pain, not physical. I hope to be able to get back to the Train Shed before too long. But thanks for all your good wishes anyway
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #1698 on: November 26, 2017, 10:22:43 PM »
Just a quick post to say I am still “tuning in” for every update that you so diligently give  :wave:

Some excellent craft and woodwork skills on show. I am also a Workmate owner and the thing is indispensable. With bits of kit like this I often wonder do the manufactures do themselves out of money? I have never heard of somebody replacing a workmate!

Glad the layout is performing well, and thanks again for the thread.

Skyline2uk 

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1699 on: November 27, 2017, 07:55:17 AM »
Just to clear up any misunderstand. The tablet is this cheap thing I am holding in my hand, not anything I am taking. It's a bit of a pain to use, but that is all mental pain, not physical. I hope to be able to get back to the Train Shed before too long. But thanks for all your good wishes anyway
Apologies Laurence, one of the problems with two words with differing meanings.
Anyway, hope you can cope with the tablet and it doesn’t drive you to have to take tablets!

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1700 on: November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 PM »
I haven't been to the Train Shed today, mainly because it's over a hundred miles away. But I hope to be able to get there tomorrow. In the meantime, I have been having some thoughts about how to create more comprehensive videos showing the workings of the operational timetable. So, for an 'a' sub-cycle, I will video 9744 exiting the tunnel from the DOWN loops and pan round to the station. I should be able, briefly, to release the panning handle and set the speed to zero, then continue panning through the station until it comes to rest at Platform 4. Then I will repeat the process from the other tunnel, following 80119 into Platform 2. After that I can repeat the process once more from the DOWN tunnel, following the intermediate passenger into Platform 3.This will be slightly more tricky because the train will be train traveling faster when I have to release the panning handle to stop it.

Once all the arrivals have been recorded, I can then film the reverse processes, with each train disappearing into the tunnel at the other end of the layout. When all six sections have been filmed, I should be able to use my editing software to splice them together into a single video. There are forty such sub-cycles altogether, so that might take me the next year, interspersed with all the modeling activities that I hope to be able to fit in during that time.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1701 on: November 28, 2017, 07:46:58 PM »
I was able to get down to the Train Shed later this afternoon and thought I’d better have a running session.  Nothing has moved since Sunday morning and the temperature, when I went in, was just over 8C.  So the first thing I did was to override the time switch on the heater for a while.  Considering everything, it was a very good session.  9744 needed a nudge to get going in the DOWN loops and one or two more during the session but, by and large, it ran very well.  6417 also ran well, requiring only one nudge to get it started from the station.  Forthampton Grange had a bit of a tantrum while stopping in Platform 2, but otherwise ran well.  Ditcheat Manor also required a nudge to get it started first time from the UP loops and 80119 had a couple of hiccups on the way into the UP loops.  But all things considered, I think it was all very successful.  I managed to finish all six sub-cycles to complete the third complete cycle of the operational timetable. 

Tomorrow, I hope to be able to complete the whole of the last full cycle so that I will be able to clean all the tracks using the IPA and cardboard method, which has worked very well for the branch.  Then I intend to start filming the complete timetable, using the methodology I described yesterday.  It may take some time to complete, but I think it will be well worth it.  While all that is going on, I will try to make some progress terraforming the landscape.  I really ned to by some Shaper Sheet for the tunnel entrances and to help smooth other parts of the landscape.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1702 on: November 28, 2017, 09:44:44 PM »
Sounds like things are coming along nicely now Laurence. Keep up the good work.

Cheers, Timmo
There’s the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1703 on: November 29, 2017, 07:52:56 PM »
Today, I managed three short sessions in the Train Shed.  When I first arrived there, the temperature was down to 12C.  On the second visit, it was down to 10C, so I switched on the heater for a while.  During the three sessions, I managed to run all ten sub-cycles of the final operational timetable full cycle, so I am now in a position to use the new (to me) method of track cleaning using IPA and card.  While I was running, I took a picture of a busy scene at Marton Hinmarche.  Here you see 9744 waiting at Platform 4 for the OFF signal to Shipton and 46443 standing at Platform 2 with a local passenger destined for Worcester at the far end of the line, stopping at all stations.  On the right is 3846 pulling a long train of empties in the direction of Aylesbury.

When I had almost finished the running session, I thought I would have a go at making a part of the video I have been planning, showing all the timetable operations.  This shooting was very much an experimental attempt and the focus is poor, to say the least.  Also I need to work on the telephoto effect and the camera angle.  But the whole idea was to test the theory of filming, train movement by train movement, to make up the whole.  I managed to get the operation of the camera and the controller right first time, although the camera panning still needs some improvement.

Tomorrow will be a day of track cleaning and then I might start on making the video piece by piece.  In the meantime, I really must order some Shaper Sheet.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1704 on: November 30, 2017, 06:17:40 PM »
The permanent way team have been busy today on what was the coldest day of the year so far.  Admittedly, the temperature in the Train Shed never fell below 8C, but it could have been a problem.  However, the heater soon got to work and temperatures as high as 15C were recorded during the afternoon.

Last night, the operations team handed over all the tracks to the Permanent Way Department (PWD) who set about cleaning the tracks first thing this morning.  All the trains were safely stowed in their ‘home’ loops and the team were able to clean all the tracks between the loops using the newly introduced card and IPA treatment.  The card used was the thick grey support card leftovers from Metcalf kits.  The technique used involved putting a little IPA on one end of a strip of card wide enough to encompass the two rails on each track.  This was then pressed onto the track and moved round to clean a length of track, typically 1.5m to 2m long.  The card was then reversed so that the dry side was pressed against the rails and the action repeated to remove any excess IPA and or residue.  After that, the end of the card was cut off, and the new end used for the next length of track, etc.

Once all the tracks between the two sets of storage loops had been cleaned (apart from the goods yard and bay platform, which are used as storage sidings and not accessed by any of the locos), a special operations team took over the tracks and moved all the trains out of the UP loops.  Normally, there are seven trains stored there, but there are only two spare tracks in the DOWN loops.  This meant that the operations team had to store five trains in the station temporarily so that the UP loops could be handed over to the PWD ready for cleaning.  This involved eight special train movements.  The station became a very busy place with every available track occupied by a train.  Here you can see Jubilee Class 45572 ‘Eire’ at Platform 2 with its ten-coach train, 6837 ‘Forthampton Grange’ at Platform 3 with its seven-coach train, 80119 at Platform 4 with its six suburban coaches and 7821 ‘Ditcheat Manor’ in the milk loop.  In the distance at the Goods Platform is J39 Class 64960 with a local goods train.

The PWD team must have been feeling particularly energetic this morning because they have moved the entire Milk Platform bodily away from the tracks.  Once all the trains had been moved, the UP loops were handed over to the PWD, who proceeded to clean each track, one at a time, including the branch run-round loops.  Then the loops were handed back to the special operations team who’s job was then to move all the trains back into the UP loops and all the trains out of the DOWN loops.  Once again, this involved storing five trains in the station.  In fact, 64960 remained where it was to simplify the process.  This process involved no less than fifteen train movements. 

Here’s an unusual picture of the crowded station with 46122 ‘Royal Ulster Rifleman’ stopped at Platform 2 with its twelve-coach express passenger.  The platform only accommodates ten coaches so the last two are stranded under the London Road Bridge.  Even more unusual is 92006 stopped at Platform 3 with its fish train.  I hope it wasn’t there too long because that train always leaves an aroma of fish behind, wherever it goes.  Also unusual is the sight of Cranmore Hall on the branch line with its nine-coach corridor train at Platform 4 and 61664 with its eight coaches in the Milk loop.

The DOWN loops were then handed over to the PWD, who employed exactly the same procedure as they had used for the UP loops.  Once all the loops had been cleaned, the track was handed back to the special operations team who had to carry out eleven train movements to restore all the trains back to their ‘home’ loops.  After that, there were several point operations to restore all the points to their starting position for the next day’s timetabled operations.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1705 on: December 01, 2017, 06:32:24 PM »
I only spent an hour in the Train Shed this morning.  It was cold (about 10C, having been down as low as 8C) and I switched on the heater for a short while.  Then I set about filming the first sub-cycle (1a) of the operational timetable.  By the end of the hour I had all I needed ‘in the can’ and later I was able to edit the individual ‘takes’ into a single video stream.  In it, you first see 9744 emerging from the DOWN branch tunnel with the branch passenger from Shipton and making its way round to Marton Hinmarche, where it eventually stops at Platform 4.  The 80119 emerges from the mainline UP tunnel with a six-coach DOWN local, eventually stopping at Platform 2.  After that, 4915 ‘Cranmore Hall’ leaves the mainline DOWN tunnel at the head of a nine-coach rake of Western Region chocolate and cream corridor stock and arrives at Platform 3

After a brief wait, Cranmore Hall then departs and races round to the mainline UP tunnel, where it disappears in the direction of Aylesbury.  Following that, 80119 departs from Platform 2 and makes its way round to the mainline DOWN tunnel heading off in the direction of Worcester.  Finally, 9744 leaves and eventually disappears into the UP branch tunnel, en-route for Norton.

This is the first of forty such sub-cycles, so I have quite a long way to go.  I apologise for all the debris scattered around the layout, most of which is used for maintenance and modelling.  Also, the buildings in the background are not yet fastened down and look a bit rickety.  The backscenes, which were excellent when first put up, have since lifted, stretched and bubbled up.  I used the recommended method of fixing with spray glue but, if I can successfully lift them, I will try using double-sided sticky tape to replace them.  At least it will then be easier to correct any blemishes.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 06:40:22 PM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1706 on: December 01, 2017, 07:09:21 PM »
Laurence, that all seems to ge running really nicely.
Very smooth stops at the station and pretty realistic speeds.
You must be pleased.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1707 on: December 01, 2017, 07:23:32 PM »
Thanks for the video.

Disappointing about the backscenes.

I've only put up one length of around 7ft but used wallpaper adhesive. That gave me a bit of wiggle time to get the join reasonably neat. It's not perfect but it hasn't bubbled or lifted.

In my dubious experience, double sided tape doesn't allow any adjustment so you'd need to be bang-on to get it right! Hope you get that sorted to your satisfaction.

Dave G

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1708 on: December 01, 2017, 07:58:26 PM »
Thanks for the video.

Disappointing about the backscenes.

I've only put up one length of around 7ft but used wallpaper adhesive. That gave me a bit of wiggle time to get the join reasonably neat. It's not perfect but it hasn't bubbled or lifted.

In my dubious experience, double sided tape doesn't allow any adjustment so you'd need to be bang-on to get it right! Hope you get that sorted to your satisfaction.

Dave G
Thanks, Dave

I'll do some experimentation.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Ditape

• N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #1709 on: December 01, 2017, 08:14:36 PM »
I have used wallpaper paste to good effect in the past and would use it again if I was using paper based backscenes again.
Diane Tape

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here