!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 230899 times)

icairns and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #165 on: November 11, 2016, 07:06:43 PM »
Programming the Digikeijs

I've finished programming all the locos that I have (apart from the 64XX, which is awaiting a special chip).  The other two, an Ivatt mogul and a BR prairie, may not arrive before March.  So I have set about programming the Digikeijs accessory controllers for switching the points.  It proved much easier than I had feared.  First I used the test rack I had used for programming the locos and took a feed from each rail to the Digikeijs power input, looped to the signal input.  I then took a Seep PM1 and connected three feeds which I connected to the Digikeijs Output 1. 

The picture shows it connected to Output 2, but that was after I had checked Output 1.  I then turned on the DCC02 controller and Selected Accessory 1.  By selecting "1" and "2" I was able to switch the PM1 back and forth, confirming that the Digikeijs was working.  I then moved the PM1 connections to Output 2 to check that Accessory 2 would operate the PM1, which it did.  I then switched the DCC02 to Program on Program track.  I set it up for CV 513 and pressed the Program button on the Digikeijs.  I entered the CV513 data as 9 and held the Digikeijs program button down until the red LED went out.  I then selected Accessory 10 and, by selecting "1" and "2", verified that Output 2 was now selected as Accessory 10. I labelled this Digikeijs "09", indicating it would control Points 9 through 16.

I then disconnected Digikeijs 09 and connected a fresh one.  I checked that Accessory 2 operated the PM1 when connected to Output 2.  I labelled this Digikeijs "01", indcating it would control Points 1 through 8.  I now have to program the rest of the Digikeijs and then I can set up the routes once the track is laid.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 07:14:30 PM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: November 11, 2016, 11:07:32 PM »
Well done that man, something you need to watch using seeps. Is when you connect them to the points look at the advice on this site, you need to set the seeps up carefully to operate the switch for frog use. I tried to use Peco motors on my layout with switches but I gave up has they were not reliable in use. I now use Cobalt motors on my scenic sections, I have used the peco motors on my fiddle yard with insulfrog points but they are controlled by switches on a control panel. I might get round to buying some decoders for them in the future.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: November 12, 2016, 06:42:14 AM »
Thanks Chris

I have checked the change over action of the switches with a meter and they are OK.  The only thing is to ensure that the correct polarity is connected on both LH and RH points.  I guess I'll have to come up with a rule for that.  Incidentally, the sheet I will be using ( I think it's attached - see pages 5 and 6) indicates that the Seep motor should operate on the center of the switch blade connector, but that must be for OO.  The N gauge points need it located at one or other end, so I will have to redesign the template to allow for that.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 06:45:21 AM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline ptopo

• Awards
« Reply #168 on: November 12, 2016, 09:08:34 AM »
Quick on on seeps - they are generally fine but you need to use a system where you can make fine adjustments late on.

To this end my approach is to...

- roughly locate the motor to check clearance etc and trim the rod.
- Rather than fix with screws it's much better to use a slow drying adhesive (no more nails or cheaper generic). This allows you to make fine adjustments until the washer is making good contact in open and thrown positions.
- Once lined up right it can be kept in place by electrical tape at both ends. I usually leave the tape on permanently afterwards (motivation to keep it neat....)

Cheers

PT

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: November 12, 2016, 09:10:18 AM »
There is only a small movement of the point with n-gauge. I am certain you need to centralise the switch to get it go work both ways. Mick (newportnobby)  of this parish knows about it. I think he has his mounted loosely to allow movement of the motor.. if you have a meter it is easy to check the polarity of the switch, connect your two feed wires to the switch then check the common connection with the meter as you move the switch.you than need to translate that to the frog wires.  If your not sure let me know and I will do a diagram on my computer for you.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: November 12, 2016, 12:15:33 PM »
With N gauge points the Seep throw rod fits the hole at the end of the tie bar which, as there are 2 holes, allows a choice of placement when several points are crowded together. Before permanently fixing the motor under the board the throw rod should be centralised (there's a trick with a clothes peg for doing that) and the switch blades should also be centralised (put a small length of wire between each side to centre them). A good practice advised by forum members is to mount the Seep about 20mm below the point level so as to maximise the throw and this is what I will be doing. I have purchased some 12mm stripwood, my sundeala is 9mm and the rubber underlay is 1˝mm.
There is some great info here, along with the clothes peg trick (believe me - it works a treat!).....
http://www.cravenmodels.com/SEEP.htm

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: November 12, 2016, 01:09:05 PM »
I have finished programming all the Digikeijs accessory decoders.  There was a bit of an extended blip this morning.  The first one I tried to program repeatedly failed to program, except to address "1" and even that was erratic.  After quite a bit of frustration, I spotted that the DCC02 controller was switched to "All Walkrounds" instead of 1 - 8.  I quickly rectified this and the problem was overcome.  The description in the Digikeijs  instruction manual was not as helpful as it could have been.  Apparently, once the decoder has accepted the code, the LED goes out.  Then, when you switch back main track, it comes on again.  If you select the address it doesn't go out immediately, but only when it receives confirmation of the address.  This can take a few seconds (or in the case of all walkarouds, several minutes)

Thanks for the info about Seep points.  I actually found the post by Newport Nobby elsewhere in the forum and downloaded the relevant images.  I have attached them as a PDF.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: November 12, 2016, 01:16:16 PM »
There's a huge amount more info on that Craven Models link, Laurence.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #173 on: November 12, 2016, 01:29:56 PM »
Cheers Mick. 

Yes, that's where the diagrams came from.  I selected them because they are the two most relevant for positioning the point motors.  It's difficult to download from that site because none of the background files download when you download the page.  The only way I could do it was to save the images as JPGs.  I have printed out the two JPGs in the PDF as working documents for installing my point motors, in conjunction the the Buffers pages on creating a template.  The template has to be modified for N-gauge. I attached the buffers page to an earlier post today.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 03:02:23 PM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: November 13, 2016, 08:58:19 AM »
The right angled decoder arrived yesterday afternoon and I've managed to fit it and program it after a fashion.  It was difficult to fit because the board is longer than the available cab space in front of it, so it was a question of poking the end of the chip under the boiler and trying to fit the pins into the socket.  It took quite a bit of fiddling but I managed it in the end.  The programming appears to be a bit wonky,  I don't seem to be able to decrease the acceleration rate.  But at least its all together and I managed to get the screws back into the bottom of the cab.

So now all the locos are programmed, at least all that have arrived - the others may not arrive until March.  Also, all the accessory decoders are also programmed, so next will be packing all the trains away, back into their boxes again ready for the delivery of the first baseboards.  I'm told they will be ready for dispatch early next week.  Once the baseboards are assembled, I will be able to start wiring them.  I'll post more pictures once they materialise.

I have managed to track down a nice background sounds CD at Steamsounds (http://www.steamsounds.org.uk/cd/index.html).  It certainly brings back memories and should make the Train Shed sound like a blast from the past (literally!).
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #175 on: November 19, 2016, 09:59:33 PM »
At last, the first batch of baseboards have been delivered, except they haven't.  Unfortunately, the carrier delivered them on Wednesday, while I was away for three days.  Strangely, the driver left the package with the 4' X 2'6'' board in the potting shed, following the instructions on the front door.  However, he took the other package back to the depot.  The next attempt to deliver the second package was on Friday, before I arrived home.  Again, it was returned to the depot.  The first package was marked as signed for by a fictitious neighbour, so it all seems a bit strange.  The sad thing is that the first package contains all the braced legs but I cannot make start because there are no nuts, bolts, screws etc.  So I have unpacked it all and checked the contents, but until the second one is actually delivered, I am stuck.  I have been in touch with the carrier and it is promised for Monday morning early.  But I have to go out later so, if it doesn't arrive before I go, I might still be in the same position next week.  It's all a bit disappointing  :(
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #176 on: November 19, 2016, 10:10:34 PM »
"Marked as signed by a fictitious neighbour?"

Exactly what happened to my old passport which was returned from the UK in January.  It's now November and I've come to accept I'm never going to see it again. At least I was home when my new one arrived!

Good luck with the baseboard!   :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #177 on: November 19, 2016, 10:42:37 PM »
 :hellosign:  Fingers crossed for you Laurence.
   regards Derek.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2016, 09:32:31 AM »
That's got to be most frustrating, Laurence.
If Yodel are involved anywhere have you checked your roof?

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2016, 09:51:34 AM »
I also hope that you get your baseboards soon, Laurence.

'Lying' carriers is, alas, a common problem. I have been waiting several months for some Peco LWB wagon kits from one eBay commercial seller. There were two packages in the SAME (alleged) delivery. The carrier reported the first package delivered and signed for (but was unable to produce any evidence of this -- hardly surprising as I never received them nor did anyone else) whilst reporting that the second package was undelivered because there was no-one home. (As this carrier has NEVER used my mobile number to arrange delivery this is hardly surprising.) Seemingly endless email correspondence with eBay has yet to produce a satisfactory conclusion . . . I hope you won't have anything like the same wait as I'm really looking forward to seeing your tracklaying which I'm sure will be exemplary compared with some of my efforts.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything