!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 153234 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1365 on: August 20, 2017, 09:27:58 PM »
Laurence - I don't have it fixed in my head where you store your locos, in the shed or in the house.
Personally I would only keep them in the house and wouldn't take them into the shed until a decent operating temperature has been reached*. I can't help feeling your running issues are inextricably linked to this and, to be honest, I wouldn't feel comfortable in running them in adverse conditions :uneasy:

*I'm quite sure by now you would know what that temperature would be.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1366 on: August 20, 2017, 09:50:42 PM »
Npn makes a good point - could some of the initial running problems be condensation related?  ???. Just a thought.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1367 on: August 20, 2017, 09:55:24 PM »
I think you might be on to something there, NPN.

I had been thinking about this as well, but my brain is slower than yours.

Laurence's shed looks to be particularly well-finished and it is meant to be August...

Laurence, why don't you try keeping your most 'slow starting' locomotives in the house overnight (if they are, at present, in the shed) as an experiment to see what happens.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1368 on: August 21, 2017, 06:54:56 AM »
Thanks for the advice both.  I'll think on it and see if I can work it out.  But the Train Shed is a domestic grade garden room, well insulated and with domestic grade windows and door, well insulated walls, floor and ceiling.  I'll try one or two options and see what happens.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1369 on: August 21, 2017, 07:28:23 AM »
Maybe because we have had such damp/humid weather recently could this be a contributor?

We have a couple of cheap mini dehumidifiers that seem to do a decent job.

It'll be interesting to learn the results of your tests.

Dave G

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1370 on: August 21, 2017, 08:28:59 PM »
There may be some substance in the condensation theory, or at least in a humidity-related problem.  I’ll explain shortly.  First, the temperature in the Train Shed was one degree colder this morning than yesterday morning.  First, I ran 45572 and 80119 in a tail chase and they both ran very well, including station stops.  I did have a problem with a piece of card kit that I had left fouling the DOWN main, which derailed 80119 and led to a coach derailment for 45572.  But that was finger trouble.  Then I ran 6417 in a forward and back sequence and it was also good.  The difference between today and yesterday morning was:

1)   Yesterday the locos had all been laid up for more than 36 hours.  In the case of 45572, for several days;
2)   I had not done any ballasting yesterday and, hence, I had not used the mist sprayer, whereas previously I had spray misted fresh ballast before locking up for the night.

So, today’s lessons are:

1)   Do not spray ballast last thing in the afternoon;
2)   Give locos a run first thing in the morning if they haven’t been run for a day or two.

Lesson 1 will, of course, cease to be necessary once I have finished all the ballasting, which might take two or three weeks more to complete.  After that, I laid ballast at the station throat at the UP end of the platforms, ready to complete the mainline through the station.

When we returned at about midday, I tested the latest ballasting using 45572 and 80119 again.  This time there was no problem.  I then went on to test the ballasting on the crossover from the branch to the UP main and, apart from a hesitation by 80119 on the first pass, which was countered by a second track cleaning, they all passed with flying colours.

After attacking the weeds on the drive and laying more pavers, I eventually returned to the train shed and began work on the platform in earnest.  It is quite complex to actually construct the platforms, although the principles are quite simple.  By the close of play, I had started to join sections together.  Here’s the builder’s (upside down) view.

This is how it looks from above, but there is only one proper join in place, so it looks a bit floppy.

Tomorrow, I will lay some more ballast and continue with the platform.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1371 on: August 21, 2017, 09:47:51 PM »
Very interesting, Laurence.

It looks like you are on top of the problem.

All best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1372 on: August 22, 2017, 07:39:20 PM »
First thing this morning, I moved things on a bit with running the operational timetable.  I ran 7a with 45572, 80119 and 6417 without issue.  Then I ran 7b with 9744, 92006 with the express freight and 6417.  I ducked out of 7c and switched straight through to 8a.  It was then I realised that I had left 9744 marooned at Platform 3.  So I had to reverse both lots of switching and run 9744 into its storage loop.  Then I switched back again to run 4915 ‘Cranmore Hall’ with 80119 and 6417.  But I had obviously made a couple of omissions the second set of switching, so 7915 shorted at the first set of points.  I put this right and then it ran into the back of the milk train at the other end.  I backed it up and corrected the points and then it was all go.  So I can use 4915 and 80019 for the next episode of ballast testing.  Here’s the result of today’s ballasting.

After that, I ballasted the next section of the mainline through the station.

I have taken the picture from the DOWN end of the station so that the gap between the two sets of ballasting is visible for comparison.  I think another couple of sessions will see the mainline completed.  After that I have the branch and milk depot to ballast, starting with the crossovers into and out of the milk depot, so that will be two sessions.  Then, I think three of four more sessions will complete the ballast laying.  After that, I pressed on with platform construction.  I was able to add another two sections of side wall to the Metcalfe platform, before it was time to go to the gym.

Later, I returned and cleaned up the loose ballast, cleaned the track and tested with 4915 and 80119.  Here they are about to pass on the new ballast section.

Then I carried on with the platform.  This is what the detail of the construction looks like.

After a cup of tea, I made more progress with the platform and, at close of play, I had almost finished the construction phase.

Tuesday is chips night.  I always cook chips from freshly sliced potatoes, cooking them in corn oil.  For nine months of the year I am able to use home grown potatoes, and the season has now begun.  I grow ‘Duke of York’, which is a second early, so it’s not until the end of July that there are any big enough to make chips.  But the flavour is absolutely incomparable.  Also, they are so crisp that it takes your breath away.  Of course, the only way to cook them is in an old-fashioned chip pan, which is perfectly safe, providing you know what you are doing and have an appreciation of the basics of fire ignition.  Unfortunately, come the spring, I will have to rely on bought potatoes, which are always soggy and don’t have the same flavour.   But enough of the off-topic news.  I will report more progress tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1373 on: August 23, 2017, 08:06:43 PM »
First thing this morning I thought I would move things on a bit with the operational timetable, so that I kept all the locos ‘fresh’ so to speak.  3846 was particularly graunchy to start with, having not been run for some time, compounded by the fact that it only runs at a very slow speed.  In the end, I wound it up a bit and that seemed to sort it.  I got my knickers in a twist with 4915 and 80119 that I had used yesterday and finished up with both them at the wrong end of the layout, so that when I got to sub-cycle 10a, two locos tried to run on the DOWN main at the same time.  So I had to go back through the switching and swap them over, then reinstate the switching again.

On a more routine front, I completed the next section of mainline ballasting, so there is only a short section of the mainline to ballast to complete the task.  Of course, I will have to cut back the ballast for the platforms, but that isn’t urgent.

In the afternoon, I tested the newly laid ballast with 45572 and 80119.  Everything went well until 45572 was half way down the straight to the DOWN loops, when it stopped suddenly.  Then the same thing happened to 80119 halfway down the straight to the UP loops.  No amount of coaxing would encourage them to run again.  I checked the DCC signal, but that was OK and 6417 was able to run without a problem.  Eventually, I managed to get them into the loops and reprogrammed the acceleration time to zero.  Then they ran OK for a couple of laps.  While they were running, I carried out some intense track cleaning and that seemed to do the job.  I was then able to reprogram the acceleration to normal for both of them and things returned to normal.  So, was it a case of some additional adhesive bonding to the wheels, sufficient to cause the existing track surface to stop them?  I’m unable to tell, but everything’s now alright again.

Then I completed the island platform structure.  Here it is in its final resting place, although the ballast had not yet been cut away.

There is a bit of a problem with the Metcalfe platforms.  The height is set for track that is laid directly onto the baseboard, whereas the Ratio kits are the right height for rails that have been elevated by laying them onto cork underlay.  You can see the difference here.

The Metcalfe platform is nearest the camera and the Ratio one further away.  However, by siting the Metcalfe kit onto a strip of cork underlay, parity is restored.

Once the kit was comlete, I added some slabs from a sheet that I had printed earlier.

Here’s another view, side on.

I need to print off some more slab sheets.  Then I added one of the Metcalfe edging strips

Since then, I have touched up the platform edge with some white watercolour paint.  Tomorrow, it’s a case of finishing the mainline ballasting and putting the finishing touches to the island platform.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1374 on: August 23, 2017, 08:13:41 PM »
Very nice work, Laurence. Thanks for the update.

Online daveg

• Awards
« Reply #1375 on: August 24, 2017, 07:17:44 AM »
Thanks for the update Laurence.

I had the same 'problem' with the Metcalfe platform kits - sorry I forgot to mention that - and used some spare track underlay material to bring them to the right height.

Using your slab print I guess you are able to hide the rather obvious joins in the platforms.

You've dashed through the ballasting and that's looking good. The layout will start really coming to life when you start on the scenics. Looking forward to seeing that.

Dave G

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1376 on: August 24, 2017, 08:05:55 PM »
My time stealing session this morning began with running 45572 and 80119 again for a couple of laps to make sure they were OK after yesterday’s incident and then finished the sub-cycle and moved on to 10b with 9744 and 92006.  The latter began with the front pony truck derailed, but after that, it worked well.  I then moved on to 11a with 61664 ‘Liverpool’ and 80119 again.  I ran them for a couple of laps to ensure they were in fine fettle for the track testing that would follow later in the afternoon.  Then I completed the ballasting of the mainline through the station, so it is now all finished and there is only the branch and milk loop to ballast.

I have just started the sixth of seven packs of ballast, but that should be enough to complete everything.  However, I still have a little of the first ballast magic left, but it will almost certainly be gone by the end of tomorrow’s ballasting.  However I bought, not one, but two additional ones when I order the additional ballast, not realising that it would go so far.  But it won’t be wasted.  I will be able to mix it with various flock products for grass, trees and the like.  Before I left the Train Shed, I added another piece of edging to the Metcalfe platform.

Later in the afternoon, I cleaned and tested the newly laid ballast, using 61664 and 80119, all to good effect.  80119 had one hiccup, but another bout of track cleaning sorted that out.  Then I cut back the ballast so that the platforms would fit back in between the tracks.  Here’s the island platform in place, although I will have to remove it again to carry out the ballasting of the branch line through the station.

It is now time to start on the scenery in earnest.  To that end, I unpacked my new toy, a hot wire cutter.

After a few trial runs, I cut a piece of EPS foam block to form the high ground on the town side of the bridge.

The ground will slope down either side of the bridge and the high street will be slightly above the level of the baseboard.  I then re-fitted the DOWN platform (Platforms 1 and 2) and the goods depot.  So now they can be seen in position after ballasting.

I may need to do little adjustments between the ballast and the platform walls, but that will be a part of scenic operations.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1377 on: August 24, 2017, 08:17:12 PM »
I had a very old hot wire cutter which I used for my scenery blocks and it worked fine. You'll soon have all the major scenery blocks in place, Laurence.

Online Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #1378 on: August 25, 2017, 12:18:56 AM »
Laurence

You'll have good time with your hot wire cutter and the EPS. I started my scenery with plywood formwork covered with cardboard strips, but quickly realised that the EPS was a far faster and easier way to go. Gaps in the sculpted EPS blocks were covered with plaster bandage in places. On top, I applied a layer of Sculptamold which could be formed to shape the scenery details such as rock faces or even just flat surfaces. Before I started I thought scenery creation would be tough, but it turned out to be one the easiest and most pleasurable steps in my layout construction.

Webbo

Online daveg

• Awards
« Reply #1379 on: August 25, 2017, 07:45:47 AM »
Have fun with the the foam cutter!

Are you planning to fit lighting to the station platforms, buildings and roads? I decided to do that a bit later than was practical but really pleased I did. The lights add so much to the atmosphere, esp when you dim the room lights.

There are some really good lighting options out there. Happy to share the ones that work for me, on request.

Being DCC you have also the option of easily fitting lights to your coaching stock too.

Dave G

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £347.00
Above Goal: £292.00
Site Currency: GBP
631% 
December Donations

Advertise Here