!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 152891 times)

port perran, Invicta Alec and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2016, 05:15:36 PM »
The big order has arrived! :claphappy: I've opened the big box and emptied it but I'm still checking the contents.  However, I couldn't resist taking a picture of the first train to be assembled.  It's a Hall with two WR firsts, a WR restaurant car, a BR second and a WR full brake.  When it's up and running it will have 4 WR firsts, the WR restaurant, a BR combined restaurant/kitchen car, 5 BR seconds and the brake.

I may keep all the track and simply order another pack of wooden sleepers on the grounds that the spare track might come in handy later if and when I get round to running holiday specials or other additional trains that will require more hidden storage tracks/sidings.  At the moment, I've no idea where I would put them, but these things have a habit of springing to mind when least expected.  A pack of wooden sleepers would be more than enough for the branch and the track within the station and the mainline can be concrete, as would all the hidden loops.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2016, 08:24:52 PM »
A handsome train, indeed.  :thumbsup:

My favourite period!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2016, 08:51:44 PM »
The Hall really looks the part with those chocolate and cream carriages.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline tunneroner61

• N Gauge Society Number: 27061
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2016, 09:18:08 PM »
Just come across this thread. Mighty impressed with the shed - wish I could have one!!!

Given you are going to use DCC and seem to have a high tech approach I was a little surprised to see you are going to use SEEP solenoids for point control. These days servos are all the rage for all sort of auxiliary controls such as points, signals and level crossings and wonder why you have stayed with conventional controls.

Norman

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2016, 10:37:43 PM »
Thanks for the photo., Lawrence. BR WR Chocolate & Cream is my favourite colour scheme for BR Standard coaches (and it does go very well with BR Green locos.), followed by BR SR Green. Alas, in the early 1960s, Stanley Raymond was appointed WR General Manager with instructions to break up the WR's Chocolate and Cream named express rakes and enforce the use of regular BR Maroon stock.

Your proposed rake seems to have rather a lot of First Class coaches (however, the WR were allocated quite a lot of BR Mk1 corridor firsts) but no Composites and no brake end coaches (just a full brake).

Some BR WR Carriage Formations

BCK, BSK
BSK, CK, BSK
BSK, SK, BCK
BSK, SK, CK, SK, BSK
BSK, SK, CK, BSK
BSK, SK, CK, BCK

Plus various longer formations such as:

BCK, 6 SK, BCK
BCK, 4 SK, BCK, BG
BCK, 2 SK, 2 CK, 2 SK, BSK
BSK, 3 SK, 2 CK, 3 SK, BSK

Restaurant Cars (RFOs) were twinned with Restaurant / Kitchen (RU) coaches, as you write. If the Restaurant Car was followed by a CK, the 1st-class end was, usually, next to the Restaurant Car. Sometimes SOs were used at one end of the Restaurant Car and a FO, FK, or CK at the other.

AS an example, the standard formation of WR six-coach sets (though not all were standard) on Paddington-Birkenhead trains in the early 1960s was BSK, SK, FK, SK, SK, BSK, which changed to BSK, SK, CK, CK, SK, BSK in the September 1964 carriage workings.

The "Cambrian Coast Express" 1961 Winter rake, 7 vehicles, all Mk 1 Chocolate and Cream was: BSK, SK, FK, RU, FK, SK, BSK. I would suggest that this is a good prototype for your express. In the Summer, additional SKs would be added, maybe a CK, at one end of the rake and, maybe, a BCK (useful for carrying extra luggage) towards the centre of the rake at the end of the additional SK, SK, CK added at one end of the Winter rake. The additional coaches were very likely to be BR Maroon and could be Hawksworth, Collett, Stanier, or even Gresley design wooden-bodied ones (I have plenty of photos. of trains with one of these at the front)! Later, Hawksworth and BR Standard designs in BR Maroon were used. When the WR C&C rakes were broken up the C&C coaches were mixed in with BR Maroon ones.

Glad you've found a possible solution to having wooden sleepered track and not only concrete-sleepered.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2016, 07:13:42 AM »
Thanks for the train info, Chris.  When I became enthralled with the WR, having been a MR enthusiast to start with, BR ran much longer trains.  The 15.00 ex-Snow Hill was 24 coaches hauled by a King piloted by a Hall.  There were several first class coaches, a first class restaurant car, a kitchen car (yes, a whole car) and a second class restaurant car.  In those days, there were still plenty of rhubarb and custard (crimson and cream) coaches about, although the MR were introducing all maroon on some of its premier services, such as the Caledonian.  The LM also had very long trains, the 12.00 from Euston often being 24 coaches.  Even much later, in the blue and grey days, when I used to travel North from Bristol, often behind a Class 50, the trains were typically 15 coaches (they struggled a bit up Lickey, but always made the top). 

At the moment it appears to be impossible to buy RTR SKs in chocolate and cream, so I will be running good old rhubarb and custard SKs on the WR rakes until such time as I can either repaint them or replace them.

I have now checked all the stock delivered and everything is fine.  The task for this weekend is to connect up the DCC controller to a section of track and program all the loco chips with the basic functions, but I will put out a few more short rakes for pics.

I have chosen SEEP point motors because they are easy to use with a Digikeijs decoder, simple to install once I have made a template and have a built in switch for the frog polarity.  They are also relatively inexpensive.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2016, 07:54:31 AM »
Had you seen this, Lawrence?

http://www.hattons.co.uk/225593/Graham_Farish_374_064_LN02_Mk1_SK_second_corridor_in_chocolate_cream_Pre_owned_Like_new/StockDetail.aspx

Not looked elsewhere but you never know if the smaller retailers may be holding a few in stock.

HTH

Dave G

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2016, 08:09:37 AM »
Thanks Dave.  I had seen it, but they only have 1 and I needed 15, so I thought I would stick with rhubarb and custard for now.  However, I might order the one because I still need another 3 SKs.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2016, 08:41:14 AM »
Good morning, Lawrence, those were certainly 'Jumbo Trains'. Mixing BR Crimson & Cream, WR Chocolate & Cream and BR Maroon liveried stock all within a train would be quite prototypical for the early 1960s. I may have a spare WR Chocolate & Cream BR Standard SK, I'll have a look. I look forward to seeing your full-length trains in due course. Your short train previously shown is about as long as will ever appear at Cant Cove! For visiting trains, in addition to my "Manor", I have a BR WR Lined Green 4MT 4-6-0 and will have a SR BR Lined Black Early Crest 4MT 4-6-0 which can replace locos. at Banbury, Oxford, Reading, or Bristol. (Eventually, I will have a BR WR Lined Green "Hall" and maybe a "Grange", too.) I also have NB Type 2s, "Hymeks" and "Warships" plus D1662 "Isambard Kingdom Brunel" which can replace steam locos. en route.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2016, 09:19:20 AM »
Wow! That's a pretty impressive collection of locos.  You could almost run the direct route from Paddington to Snow Hill with that lot.  Sadly that route has now been reduced to the Chiltern line into Marylebone.  It's a very good route, particularly if you join the train at Warwick, but it somehow lacks the appeal of the big expresses from Shrewsbury and beyond.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 02:22:48 PM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2016, 01:32:49 PM »
I connected up the Gaugemaster DCC02 this morning and soldered a couple of wires to the end of a length of track.  I was able to program the Hall (Loco 11) easily using "Program on Program Track". I then switched the wires to the main output and programmed CV6 using "Program on Main."  The recall function works well but I think it might be easier to simply enter the loco number when they are all entered in the walkaround.  I tried a couple of slow test runs to check everything is OK, but just a short distance at low speed, because I haven't lubricated the gears yet (as advocated by Dapol).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 02:23:59 PM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2016, 08:04:10 AM »
I found soldering to Code 55 rail more challenging than I'd anticipated. :(  I used to teach technicians how to solder microprocessors to PCBs, but that was thirty years ago and I'm probably a little rusty. Also it seems to be more difficult now that I need to wear glasses for close work.  I guess I'll just have to practice and try different soldering iron bits.  I found the 25W Weller too hot, but I could try putting the pointed bit back in.  The 15W Antex (out of the ark) required too much time and melted the sleepers a bit.  Another possibility might be to slide the rails along so that there is a short length away from the sleepers and solder there, hoping to slide the rails back again afterwards.  I'll just have to experiment and practise until I can get it right.

The only alternative is to use Peco power feed joiners, but that still leaves me the frogs to connect.  Fortunately I will have plenty of spare track if I buy the additional wooden sleeper track, so I think I will persevere for a while and see if I can crack it.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2016, 08:15:45 AM »
Morning Lawrence.

I use an Antex 25W with a pointed tip.

I too was much out of practice so tried various methods before I got a satisfactory result. I solder droppers to the underside of the rail.

My current 'technique'  is to mount the track upside down on a bit of 2x1 wooden batten - tie it down however suits you and as a heat sink, use some damp kitchen roll each side of the dropper position. I found this reduces the risk of damaging the sleepers.

Not, I'm sure, how a pro would do it but it works for me!

Dave G

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2016, 06:20:07 PM »
I've had quite a busy day today, mainly practising soldering connectors onto the track.  I decided to sacrifice one section of track so that I could try several techniques.  I tried two different soldering irons, with different bits, soldering onto the outside of the rails and underneath.  In the end, I decided that the best technique was to completely remove one sleeper and solder to the bottom of the rails where it had been.  The idea is to save the sleeper and, after the track has been permanently laid, replace the exposed bits of the sleeper by gluing them into place.  However, I may still go for the Peco power feed joiners, which would be a lot less trouble.

I managed to program two more locos today, the 5700 and the B17.  The hand rails and brake pipes are incredibly tiny and easily detached.  I seem to have lost the rear brake pipe of the 5700.  I hope I can find it again in due course.  I had to have several attempts at programming the 5700.  Each time I test it, it was still responding to Loco address 3, with no delays and too much speed. In addition, it was temperamental in responding to the controller.  I think there must have been poor contact, so I cleaned the drivers.  Also, it responded to lubrication, so it may have been in the box a long time.  But in the end, it ran OK, although not before I had checked my systems by programming the B17.

I have now assembled three mini trains, each on a section of track.

The far one is the Express Passenger hauled by a Hall (excuse the pun), the middle one the local goods with the 5700 and the near one an intermediate passenger hauled by the B17.  I'll keep soldiering on until the baseboards arrive.  I need to program all the locos and two are on back order, yet to arrive.  There are plenty of other things to be done, including assembling the Ratio platforms, which I will need to ensure the correct line spacing in the station.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2016, 08:52:07 PM »
The only problem with soldering to the bottom of the rail is that, should a feed come adrift at a later date when the track is stuck down and, worse, ballasted, it's more of a pain to remedy than if soldered to the side of the rail.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £327.00
Above Goal: £272.00
Site Currency: GBP
595% 
December Donations

Advertise Here