!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 215729 times)

Webbo and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society
« Reply #3315 on: January 18, 2020, 08:53:15 AM »
Hi Andrew and Happy New Year to you too.

I know you're working but glad you're back posting.

Hope you had a nice break and looking forward to more of my Perthshire morning fix.

Cheers weave  :beers:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 08:54:29 AM by weave »

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3316 on: January 18, 2020, 09:24:03 AM »
Hi Mike, thank you .. and yes, been on the hunt for some for quite a while now and finally tracked some down (though the revolution train tankers are commanding eye watering prices now!)

..... also took delivery of some of the books you recommended on tanker liveries, so the research has begun on the livery to adorn the 3D prints :)

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #3317 on: January 18, 2020, 10:17:10 AM »

..... also took delivery of some of the books you recommended on tanker liveries, so the research has begun on the livery to adorn the 3D prints :)

I think Robbie Burns has some of those books too... ;)

Mike
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 10:22:48 AM by maridunian »
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3318 on: January 19, 2020, 06:25:44 AM »
Getting ready to leave the Muthill yard to enter service is ex Southern Region M7 30031 with some suburban stock in Crimson livery

as I unwrapped the various deliveries I had, there was a case of "unexpected item in the bagging area" .....  I hadn't ordered it, but all became clear when I read the lovely note that accompanied it  :beers: & thank you  (you know who you are  :thumbsup:)   it is fitting that it should be part of todays update as there is a rather big cup game this afternoon at Tannadice!   :worried:

A new loco has taken over the salt train, the diminutive J25 5650 was able to cope with the empties, but with the train fully loaded, a bit more muscle was needed - it is provided in the shape of a rather tired looking O6, WD Austerity 3085 pauses at Auchterarder to take on some water

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3319 on: January 20, 2020, 06:51:09 AM »
Was impressed with the turnaround of this order by Shapeways, when I placed the order, in mid-December, they were advising that they would be delivered 10th of Jan, which wasn't an issue, but lo & behold, when I got home on 23rd of Dec, they were sitting there waiting for me!

I get a bit of a ribbing from the couriers & Mrs Milton about these large boxes arriving, all packaging and one wee tiny thing in the middle   :censored:

Don't know what they mean, there were loads of things in the box!

Here are some of the main items, some 14T Class A & B anchor mounted tankers & wing plate tankers as well as a Peckett B3 saddle tank shunter (which will know doubt be affectionately known as "Pug" when it enters service!  There are no guarantees on when that will be though, I have purchased a suitable chassis, but other projects are taking priority at the moment 

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #3320 on: January 20, 2020, 07:02:38 AM »
That pug looks great..... one of our member's products?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3321 on: January 20, 2020, 07:14:30 AM »
Hi George,  yes indeed :)   not sure my end result will be as good as his, but the endeavour will be there  :beers:  Hope you are well and not being impacted by the terrible fires in Oz

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3322 on: January 20, 2020, 06:51:39 PM »
Happy New Year Andrew.
Looking forward to more tales of the PRPS.
And DU live to fight another day in the Cup. Good luck in the replay.

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3323 on: January 21, 2020, 07:06:47 AM »
Thanks Martin, yes, gritty performance! testing our credentials against higher league opposition was always a worry.

A visitor to Perthshire was captured by local photographer Dar Kroom as it passed by the location of the now closed station at Dunning, 6837 "Forthampton Grange" powers past with a rake of preserved chocolate & cream carriages on a railtour

I have a strange little area on the layout, bounded by two branch lines to the north & south and the mainline to the east, that I only have vague ideas about what to do with ... I have already started to plant Rusty Ryan's scrapyard in part of it, along with the old abandoned railhead of the East of Scotland & Strathearn Oil Company (ESSO) - the thought for the rest of it has been some kind of military area, as I have over the years built up quite a collction of military bits & pieces. 

The derelict house has now been fixed down, so the die is set :)

The idea that is forming is that this is a marshalling area/small training area, with a loading dock that can use to transfer heavy equipment to rail

Due to previous terra-forming, to use an exisiting bit of platform, I needed to do some surgery on it to get it to fit the terrain

In an attempt to start finishing off small outstanding jobs, I found I had a few lightbars lying around and have several Dapol LBR (Light Bar Ready) coaches that are still to receive a light bar, so I started to marry them up - though this one was a bit stubborn when it came to refitting the roof!

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3324 on: Yesterday at 08:30:18 AM »
Quiet day in Perthshire today, the loading ramp at the military site known as "Dankdown Moss" has been fixed in place, ready for blending into the surrounding terrain

otherwise, there were a couple of unusual sightings for local spotters, a recently arrived G2 in plain LMS black livery was spotted running light engine

and one of the growing fleet of preserved class 37's was spotted in a similar location, here we see 37668 in Petroleum Sector livery, though it appears to be long overdue a visit to the washing plant

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3325 on: Today at 07:11:57 AM »
I've finally made a start on one of the eyesores of the layout and also one that I had been holding back on because I know what I want it to look like, just fearful that I won't be able to translate that idea into something that looks ok .... and it will be a very prominent feature ....  but where ever the courage to start came from .... I have started building up the hill that will form Loch Osc and the valley/gorge that will flow down under the various bridges that criss-cross this part of the layout .... I had a large block of polystyrene, so with the backscene board back in place, I was able to combine them to position things along the back edge of the layout.

Once I was happy with the position, it was glued down and an assortment of props and weights deployed to make sure it dried how I wanted it

As I was starting to position the next pieces of polystyrene I wanted to make sure that I didn't inadvertently foul the running lines, but as it is a bit tight back there, I had to resort to using camera to take pictures of hard to see area's ....

Back at Dankdown Moss, some DAS has been used to blend in the platform to the surrounding area, I envisage this being a muddy area, so have formed what will hopefully become convincing muddy tracks!

I will come back and do the ends once this bit is all dry.  I will need to think about how they would actually transfer the vehicles across the gap, will need to be some kind of short retractable loading ramp/bridge ... I have an idea, will need to do a mock up to see if it will look ok

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal