!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Moorpark Junction  (Read 5896 times)

cornish yorkie, Hightower, Andy-S and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline jpendle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Re: Moorpark Junction
« Reply #210 on: June 22, 2020, 05:16:44 PM »

Out of interest are they pretty easy to build. I have read about how you make the footprint plan with the pencil on the coach, but as you’ve just completed one, how did you find it? Any ‘must do’ / ‘don’t do’ tips you’ve learned?

Cheers Derek

Hi Derek,

The Metcalfe platforms are fairly easy to build, but on a curve I find that the coach/pencil method isn't accurate enough. I put paper above the tracks and then cut right up to the sleeper base to create a template, I then cut the template back by a couple of mm (can't remember the precise number) to give clearance for the trains without getting too big a gap.

I then used the Scalemodelscenery sheets to get a (modern) prototypical finish on the platform surfaces. My only criticism of these products is that they evidently used to be available for download, but now they come as printed sheets on plain paper. They would be much easier to use if they came on self adhesive sheets or if you could download and print them yourself.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: June 22, 2020, 07:11:53 PM »
I then used the Scalemodelscenery sheets to get a (modern) prototypical finish on the platform surfaces. My only criticism of these products is that they evidently used to be available for download, but now they come as printed sheets on plain paper. They would be much easier to use if they came on self adhesive sheets or if you could download and print them yourself.
You might like to check out textures.com. You get a number of free downloads each week or month. You need to scale them yourself to suit your needs, but I've used them for sidewalks and pavement, and found them to be pretty good. Obviously you can print them on "label" sheets and you've got self-adhestive.

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: June 22, 2020, 07:32:11 PM »
Thanks Steve,

The ScalemodelScenery stuff is prototypically accurate Network Rail platform edging and visually impaired paving.

Here's what I mean.

My platform

And the real thing

Spot the difference  :bounce:

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: June 22, 2020, 07:38:31 PM »
Apologies, I did not make it clear derek. Another heavy work day.  John I'm glad you went with my idea ,was to help steve out in  LA. It's certainly made your platforms more realistic and worth investing in

Online degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #214 on: June 22, 2020, 09:11:55 PM »
Ok all,

Many thanks for your replies..

Time to hand Steve’s thread back to Moorpark Junction - apologies for the brief hijack Steve  :-[

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #215 on: June 23, 2020, 04:55:07 AM »
Time to hand Steve’s thread back to Moorpark Junction - apologies for the brief hijack Steve  :-[

No apology neccessary - if we all had to start a new thread every time a side conversation came up on a topic, I'm not sure what Tank and the mods would do!

I've actually just finished the Metcalfe footbridge for the new station - well, finished as in assembled straight from the kit, still the snagging and weathering to do. Again, I've got so much stuff left over, I think I could build King's Cross Terminus from all the bits and pieces from various Metcalfe kits. I'll say one thing again about those folks, they don't skimp on materials they provide!

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #216 on: Today at 07:42:02 PM »
So ....

Recent progress is mainly(!) with the mainline station. The platforms are constructed, the station buildings & infrastructure either retrieved from the original Moorpark or are newly-built, and the down platforms (the main and relief) are now lit with both platform lighting and interior lights for the footbridge and waiting room wired in and tested. I'll "cross the footbridge" to the up platforms next, the main and the bay, and light those. I getting a little more adept at the fiddly wiring, some of the wires to the LEDs are basically filaments, I couldn't solder those without a third-hand clamp to help out.

I'm waiting for some terminal blocks to be delivered so I can connect the buck converters (the dimmer switches) to the lighting, right now it's so bright you could probably see it from space. When those arrive I'll do the TMD lighting in the same fashion. As per previous discussions, I've now got some "modern" profile street lamps which I'll heighten with some 1.5mm brass tubing; those reference pictures of Finsbury Park depot that I posted before were really helpful. I've got enough LED's to mount on the inside of the shed for roof lighting to go with the inspection pit lighting that's already installed. When I've got everything connected up, I'll see if I want to dim the yard lighting or leave it bright, as @Hiawatha and @crewearpley40 mentioned IRL the yard and shed lights are bright, but the contrast between them could be interesting.

Anyway, that's a job for next week. I need to finish the station lighting first, and while I'm about it wire the starter signals on each platform and the signal on the down line to clear the route to the bay platform on the up side. I've got the signals and controllers "in stock", just more fiddly wiring, but hey, practice makes perfect.

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: Today at 07:54:28 PM »
Steve. Look forward to more https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56054-finsbury-park-tmd/   and https://images.app.goo.gl/2QKpEanXP8XzFPuY6    plus            https://images.app.goo.gl/tYbfCUJcwbt1RsCw7                            should keep one interested. @LASteve the contrasting lights we have commented upon could be interesting to model. Good luck with the wiring task. I would keep notes and a record of the wiring diagram sure would help trace any potential faults.        The thought of modern profile street lights extended in height with 1. 5mm brass tubing sounds like a mini project.                     Those illustrations show what could be achieved with the structure. Layout of inspection pits and platforms. And the surrounding area
« Last Edit: Today at 08:03:44 PM by crewearpley40 »

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal