!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Molesworth Vale  (Read 8798 times)

willike1958 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Molesworth Vale
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2019, 07:50:34 AM »
Particularly impressive river scene under the bridge. Are you using foam, paper, filler andy and what and how are you using for the river itself please? Thanks

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2019, 08:11:01 AM »
Really good work Andy.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #152 on: November 05, 2019, 07:31:55 PM »
Are you using foam, paper, filler andy and what and how are you using for the river itself please? Thanks

I'm using wire mesh covered with plaster cloth for the main scenery (sometimes with foam as a support), filler to smooth anything too rough and to make features such as the river banks. In most places I've used card for structures, such as the bridge abutments. The water effect is still in the planning phase but I think I'm going to use 'Unreal Details - Magic Water'. Shortly I'll be making a couple of test ponds to try the water effects and to gauge the correct amount of tint to add to get the murkiness I want. I'll post details of my attempts when I'm close to the stage where I can add the water.

- Andy

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2019, 07:55:31 PM »
Thanks andy. Look forward to the next bit

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #154 on: November 18, 2019, 11:16:52 PM »
Hi Everyone,

It's been a very frustrating couple of weeks. Some home reorganisation took up a lot of my free time, followed by a trip to the hospital with a recurrence of an eye infection that left me largely blind in one eye for a week. Poor vision is really not conducive to modelling in N Gauge! Thankfully, everything is pretty much back to normal and I have been able to put in a little time on the railway.

The abutments to my bowstring bridge are made out of moulded plastic rather than the card that has been used for my other structures and I have been trying to think for a while of the best way to blend them in with the other elements. For a while I thought I would probably cover them with a layer of card, but in the end decided to try painting them first. Using some 'concrete' coloured paint, I applied it liberally over the stone work then wiped away the majority to leave a slight tint over the bricks and a mortar look between them. This was repeated a few times until the desired effect was achieved. Here is a before and after comparison. I have to be honest, this worked way better than I thought it would!

The other project I have been working on is to try to create some dry stone walls. Due to my hilly terrain, I need something that looks good, can handle uneven surfaces, and is cheap - I will require a lot of it. I've looked at and rejected a number of options, from foam coated with ballast (looks pretty bad, but at least is flexible and cheap), moulded plastic (looks good, especially after painting, but is very rigid and costly), card (cheap, quick, not so easy to hide joins, not too good with undulating runs, very uniform). In the end I have tried to develop a system using cork, paint, and OO gauge ballast. The process is still being tweaked but here are the current steps.

1 - Cut 8mm strips of 1/8 in thick cork.
2 - If any crumbling sections are needed, pick away at the cork until you have to 'gap' you desire.

3 - Spray the cork grey.
4 - Cover one side at a time with glue and sprinkle over copious amounts of ballast and leave to dry.

5 - Repeat on the other side.
6 - Finally give the top edge the same treatment.

Here is one of my first attempts placed on the layout:

Some things that I have learned are:

- I need to change the paint I use as my base coat as the current choice is too dark.
- Under no circumstances should you try to glue more than the one side or edge in a session, and do NOT touch anything until the glue has dried. Doing this only peels away clumps of ballast to reveal the cork below, which doesn't look so great.
- Cut length to size and angle the ends before adding ballast. You can still quite easily cut after ballast is added, but I find I tend to loose chunks doing it that way.

As time goes on I hope to improve on the method I'm using but I'm reasonably happy with the end result. Here is the first piece I made glued in place next to my cattle grid. This one will probably be removed and replaced as my second batch are much better.

- Andy

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #155 on: November 18, 2019, 11:51:35 PM »
Andy hope you continue to recover. Thats an excellent tutorial in working with cork in itself. Chris

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #156 on: November 19, 2019, 07:28:32 AM »
Thatís a very ingenious technique Andy and it looks pretty good. I may well give that a go myself.  :thankyousign:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: November 19, 2019, 08:27:49 AM »
Hi Andy

Hopefully you continue to recover.
I use a lot of dry stone walling so am very interested in your method.
I think Iíll give it a go.
The layout looks good by the way.

Regards
Martin

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: November 19, 2019, 08:34:45 AM »
Looking good. I particularly like the bridge abutments - very realistic looking.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+88)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: November 19, 2019, 10:10:24 AM »
Looking good. I particularly like the bridge abutments - very realistic looking.  :thumbsup:

Agreed. Neat paint job.

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: November 19, 2019, 11:11:31 AM »
Hi Andy,

That is ingenious and gives a good result which is convincing.  My only suggestion would be to use slightly finer ballast for the wall.  To my eyes the size you have would work well in OO.

Great tutorial though.

Many thanks

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbMLEwYTXc6fdwur2wOb0LA/videos

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #161 on: Yesterday at 08:07:24 PM »
My only suggestion would be to use slightly finer ballast for the wall.  To my eyes the size you have would work well in OO.

Hi Paddy,

Thanks for the feedback. I have some finer ballast on order (arriving today hopefully) and will do a side by side comparison to see which looks more accurate.

- Andy

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: Yesterday at 08:27:24 PM »
Iíve just made a test sample of a Cornish Hedge using your method.
Once itís all dry , Iíll try a photo.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here