!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Llanrumney  (Read 18507 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Llanrumney TMD
« Reply #255 on: September 16, 2018, 09:31:33 PM »
Congratulations on your excellent purchase. I'm not sure about the waste of space at one end though with both a bridge and waste ground beyond it?

Thank you, On the left hand side? It's a road at street level but the photo does make it look raised, Thinking a nice row of shops and pub on it and little car park for the pub with seating :beers:

Ah, I see that, now. Thanks. I would have extended the sidings a little more. However, a nice row of shops with a pub and a little car park for the pub with seating :beers: sounds an excellent idea.  If the beer garden has a raised terrace cut into a rear hillside, it will be ideal for trainwatchers. 8-)

Offline Drakken

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Building Llanrumney
    • Awards
« Reply #256 on: September 16, 2018, 09:39:23 PM »
Now there's an idea :beers:

Sound's good to me now to implement it

Offline Drakken

• Building Llanrumney
    • Awards
« Reply #257 on: September 19, 2018, 10:54:13 PM »
Well after purchasing a new layout thought best to actually have a locomotive to run again so this little beauty showed up (Which I thought was cheap ) Dapol Class 73 GBRf 73141 'Charlotte' for £50.

Very happy with the purchase and came with a few extra coupling I'm trying to determine what they are exactly, Think they are Dapol Magnetic Couplings but probably wrong. On the layout looking well  :beers:

Offline Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #258 on: September 20, 2018, 06:36:39 AM »
The two nearest the camera are Easy-Shunt magnetic couplings, but the others don't have the activation bar fitted, so I don't know what they are.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #259 on: September 20, 2018, 08:05:27 AM »
The top two sets are dummy knuckle couplings. They work the same as the Rapidos, in that they hinge upward for uncoupling, and manually, again like the Rapidos.
PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.

“Having anxiety and depression is like being scared and tired at the same time. It's the fear of failure, but no urge to be productive. It's wanting friends, but hate socializing. It's wanting to be alone, but not wanting to be lonely. It's feeling everything at once then feeling paralyzingly numb.”

We're not crazy, or insane, we're just people living with a condition.

SEEKING THE FOLLOWING FARISH BLUE RIBAND MK1 MAROON COACHES. PLEASE DROP ME A LINE IF YOU HAVE ANY TO SELL:

BSK x13

CK x10

FO x1

SK x7

SO x2

BG x13

CCT x12

Offline Drakken

• Building Llanrumney
    • Awards
« Reply #260 on: September 20, 2018, 12:57:29 PM »
Thank you, That clears it up :beers:

Nice little freebie  ;)

Offline Drakken

• Building Llanrumney
    • Awards
« Reply #261 on: October 08, 2018, 12:00:34 AM »
It was decided a more central placement of depot was needed & with investment the decision was taken move to a bigger location. Llanrumney is only a short distance from the Cardiff Canton Dept which unfortunately had fallen on harder times compared to it's hay day of a Steam traction which ceased on 8 September 1962 so a regeneration of the depot has taken place.

There are rumors of short lease contracts being signed with a couple of Local Steam Preservation Society's ( Possibly Ex Garw Valley ) for one siding would be available to use to store locomotives at the site & with continued support of the Llanrumney investors some of the old infrastructure has been saved and moved allow the ability of the preserved locomotives to be stabled at the location. This is continued support to not only invest in the future of the South Wales depot but help Preservation Society's rebuild & preserve some history for future generations to enjoy for years to home.

On the 02/09/77 these are the first photo's taken at the new site.

Date, Names & Times have been changed to protect the innocent lol. new to this sort of writing, Please Bear with me  :beers:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #262 on: October 08, 2018, 10:25:20 AM »
Thank you, Draken, for the atmospheric photos. and the interesting update.

A great idea, Didcot shed was still used by BR WR as a stabling point into BR Blue days, although not far from Reading depot, whilst being also used by the GWS to store and restore their preserved rolling stock (the GWS moved in in 1967). I think BR had a siding or two outside the shed for stabling diesels? (It was closed to BR Steam 05/04/1965 and as a BR shed in June 1967.)

Offline Drakken

• Building Llanrumney
    • Awards
« Reply #263 on: October 09, 2018, 12:17:22 PM »
Well the first daylight has hit over the depot & all is still. The locomotive's stored at the old depot will be arriving shortly but no set date has been set for the transfer. The fuel tankers are due to be refilled in the coming day's along with refurbishment of the two shunters mess rooms.

The small plot of land has been sold to a developer which now has planning for two semi detached houses which have been approved by the local council. As railway enthusiast it would be a lovely view for the fortunate families who purchase the houses.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #264 on: October 11, 2018, 09:50:42 PM »
Many thanks for the photo. and update. I'm sure the two new semi-detached houses will be snapped up by railway enthusiasts and, no doubt, they will son jin the railway preservation volunteers on site and in the local pub's 'snug'. 8-)

I look forward to the arrival of the first of the locomotives to be stored at the old depot.

Cant Cove can be run in the BR Blue period so an enthusiast special of BR Blue & Grey coaches behind a BR Blue Class 37 is a future possibility?

Offline Drakken

• Building Llanrumney
    • Awards
« Reply #265 on: October 11, 2018, 11:40:45 PM »
To be honest I sold all my old stock when trying to start at business so thinking which locomotive to buy first. Still in a lot of doubt possibly a Class 42 to run the first allocation of fuel into the depot tanks at the moment but probably the houses then the TTA's to be completed before the first loco arrives. Like being in a sweet shop as a kid again lol.

I would love to see some BR Blue on Cant Cove, I'll be enthusiastically waiting for the date of the special to be announced  :beers:

I'm still stuck with which houses to go with Metcalfe or Kingsway Models ones. The metcalfe ones are more detailed but the Kingsway Models are something a little different & fit into the 1970's around time frame I would like

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=42819.msg533152#msg533152 Kingsway Models Thread (Still waiting on the glue arriving)

Offline crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #266 on: October 12, 2018, 01:16:18 AM »
i started simple with a class 08, progressed added class 20, 25, 31, now have 37, 47, dmu

Offline Drakken

• Building Llanrumney
    • Awards
« Reply #267 on: October 12, 2018, 10:12:02 AM »
Class 08 didn't even cross my mind to be honest, Your giving me to many decisions :beers:

Offline crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #268 on: October 12, 2018, 02:04:57 PM »
theclass 03 worked on the  Gwendraeth Valley line, kidwelly - burry port coal but theclass 08 will do the job !!!!!!

Offline Drakken

• Building Llanrumney
    • Awards
« Reply #269 on: October 12, 2018, 04:02:04 PM »
I think I'll go with your first recommendation the 08 as not much of a fan of the look of the 03's to be honest. Plus was the second loco that was originally bought for me back in late 90's :beers:

Ever seen a Class J94 & 08 Railfreight with two BR Blue & Grey buffet cars they were the days lol. I'm going to end up Rule 1 soon lol

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £347.00
Above Goal: £292.00
Site Currency: GBP
631% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything