!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

Which Flangeway clearance would be preferred?

Large 1mm Flangeways, most RTR locos & stock can run through unmodified
118 (53.6%)
Finer 0.8 - 0.85mm Flangeways, RTR locos & stock will need back to backs checking with a Gauge
102 (46.4%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Author Topic: 'Gauging' Interest- New fiNetrax code 40 N Gauge Track System?  (Read 253037 times)

Offline jamespetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Kittens and cake
    • Peertube videos
    • Awards
Re: 'Gauging' Interest- New fiNetrax code 40 N Gauge Track System?
« Reply #1500 on: January 04, 2020, 07:05:00 PM »
Happy New Year, everybody!!! :):):)

Happy new year to you, too! I am looking forward to having a go at building the Kickstarter kits when I get back home.
Peertube > Youtube

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Peertube videos
    • Awards
« Reply #1501 on: March 15, 2020, 02:11:15 AM »
I see that the CV 10 and EV 15 turnouts are now available on the website - excellent! I have not got around to building my kits yet, but I am trying to see how my track plan can be adapted to work with these, since I made it using SCARM and the new flatbottom turnouts are not in the latest SCARM library.

It looks as thought I might be able to get the CV 10 points to fit in place of the C9s that I had used to design my track plan with if I am able (1) to bend them slightly; and (2) to remove one or two sleepers at the toe end of the points in the case of some crossovers.

I do recall that people have managed to bend these a little by cutting into the webbing - it would be very helpful if anyone who has done this has any photographs to show the size and shape of the cut and the degree of bend that had been able to be extracted by doing this. I assume that a sharp knife was used?
Peertube > Youtube

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #1502 on: March 15, 2020, 05:59:33 AM »
Hi, two thoughts the concrete bearered turnouts in real world are fixed units and railway modified to suit- it does sometimes seem to produce non flowing track.

One perceived wisdom is that it is better to have some straight track ahead of turnouts to allow alignment of wheel sets before finding the blade ends at the toe of the point, the lack of this has sometimes been quoted as why curved turnouts cause more derailments, but your choice to experiment.

Finally yes always a sharp blade , a dull or blunt one is no use in any work model or real world !

i have got as far as loading chairs, crossing nose and check rails on mine - at which point eyes said stop ! If a few sunny days in the offing I must try to progress.
Have fun Robert     

Offline NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #1503 on: March 16, 2020, 12:57:53 PM »
Over the last couple of weekends, I've managed to grab a few hours here and there to tackle a Finetrax turnout.  It took a while, and I wrecked one of the switchblades in the process, which I had to remake, but the result is good and future builds should be simpler and faster.  The difference in the flesh between Peco code 55 and Finetrax Code 40 turnouts is stark.  Finetrax looks like the real railway.

Huge thanks to @Wayne Kinney who was very patient and helpful with my email enquiries.

image by ScottyStitch, on Flickr

image (1) by ScottyStitch, on Flickr

image (2) by ScottyStitch, on Flickr

Next step is to lay it with some plain track and a point switching servo.  I'm considering using 2mmFS society brass sleepers to supply power to the stock rails, if the rail will fit the 2mmFS chairs... 

I've drilled a hole beneath the cast crossing to supply power to it.  I'm going to leave a gap between the crossing and the v rails so I don't need to cut the rails further on, and they will get power from their respective plain rails further up. In fact the v rails will just be extensions of the plain track so no need for a join.  A little drop of paint on the outers of each v rail where they get close to each other should prevent shorts.  This the initial plan, anyway.

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Anxiety is a lot like a toddler. It never stops talking, tells you youre wrong about everything, and wakes you up at 3am.

I get nervous about just about everything. Sometimes I literally dont know why Im anxious. I just am and no-one seems to understand that.

Offline Wayne Kinney

• Advertiser
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17722
  • 2mm Association Number: 4584
    • Awards
« Reply #1504 on: March 17, 2020, 10:04:48 AM »
@jamespetts Yes bit of a soft launch as I'm still adding the website listings and the filing jigs which is why I haven't announced anything yet :) Sure you can curve the flat bottom kit the same as the bullhead ones, although as Robert mentions, I'm not sure how prototypical that is.

@NGS-PO Great work my friend! I like the way you have colour coded the sleepers.
Thanks,
Wayne.

------------

www.britishfinescale.com - Home of fiNetrax Code 40 Track System

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #1505 on: March 17, 2020, 10:50:28 AM »
Hi, two thoughts the concrete bearered turnouts in real world are fixed units and railway modified to suit- it does sometimes seem to produce non flowing track.

Not sure I agree with that. Turnouts are basically always bespoke for the location, and concrete bearer turnouts are still curved, just as wooden ones were. Look at Google satellite view of any mainline, pointwork 'flows' just as it ever has IMO.

Because they're often longer than older bullhead turnouts it's often less pronounced. I've been watching plenty of cab ride videos of Rugby lately for a future layout, and virtually all the turnouts are curved, as the whole station is on a gentle curve.

Offline Wayne Kinney

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #1506 on: March 17, 2020, 02:14:33 PM »
Hi Guys,

So it's now official :D The Flat Bottom Rail Concrete Sleeper Turnouts are now released:

Please find them here:
https://www.britishfinescale.com/category-s/1847.htm

And the Jigs here:
https://www.britishfinescale.com/category-s/1817.htm

Off now to get the bullhead 3 way up online :)

Thanks,
Wayne.

------------

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Peertube videos
    • Awards
« Reply #1507 on: March 17, 2020, 02:19:47 PM »
Hi Guys,

So it's now official :D The Flat Bottom Rail Concrete Sleeper Turnouts are now released:

Please find them here:

And the Jigs here:

This makes me happy.

Peertube > Youtube

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #1508 on: March 17, 2020, 04:33:16 PM »
Hi Guys,

Please find them here:

And the Jigs here:

:toot: :claphappy: :claphappy:
We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland, UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Wayne Kinney

• Advertiser
    • Awards
Thanks,
Wayne.

------------

Offline NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #1510 on: March 18, 2020, 01:58:57 PM »
Outstanding, sir!

Best

Scott.
(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Anxiety is a lot like a toddler. It never stops talking, tells you youre wrong about everything, and wakes you up at 3am.

I get nervous about just about everything. Sometimes I literally dont know why Im anxious. I just am and no-one seems to understand that.

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #1511 on: March 18, 2020, 10:30:35 PM »
Get in. Just in time for self-isolation  ;)
Northallerton will make its next public appearance sometime after LOCKDOWN

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Peertube videos
    • Awards
« Reply #1512 on: March 23, 2020, 09:53:47 PM »
I have just placed a large order of fiNetrax for my home layout to realise this track plan, show printed and laid on the baseboards:

Track plans on baseboards by James Petts, on Flickr

Peertube > Youtube

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #1513 on: March 24, 2020, 08:16:11 PM »
@jamespetts
One word

Impressive!

Good luck. Please keep us updated

Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance sometime after LOCKDOWN

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Peertube videos
    • Awards
« Reply #1514 on: March 24, 2020, 08:25:41 PM »
@jamespetts
One word

Impressive!

Good luck. Please keep us updated

Kirky

This layout has its own thread if you are interested. We had probably better keep this thread for the discussion of British Finescale products, which I am looking forward to using in the scenic section of the layout.

(The fiddle yard track is Peco code 55, which I find I can match in height with the British Finescale track by using 1mm cork underneath the British Finescale but not under the Peco).
Peertube > Youtube

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal