!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: sl-e383f sissors crossing  (Read 188 times)

Offline ahellary

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
sl-e383f sissors crossing
« on: October 08, 2019, 08:18:51 AM »
hi all
i have 2 sissor crossings on my new layout and i was dondering how do you use point motos on it also what ones are people usinfg as the gap between of the 2 pairs of points are too narrow to get 2 seep motors side by side 

was thinking of either the surface mount peco motors but they are ugly or may be some method with servos  any idea would be appriciated
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 08:22:15 AM by ahellary »

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: sl-e383f sissors crossing
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 08:35:08 AM »
Why not use the standard Peco motors mounted underneath on mounting plates? You could even cut large holes and fit the motors directly to the underside of the points if you prefer.  Fit frog polarity accessory switches (either the Peco microswitches or the old Peco slide switches).

I tried Seeps on a layout back in the late 80s / early 90s but was never totally happy with the reliability of the changeover switches with the small throw of N points, so went back to Peco and have used those ever since.  With Peco motors I've had better success with the old black slide switches rather than the microswitches, again due to the small throw of the points and the fiddly adjustments required to get the microswitches working reliably.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 01:36:40 PM by ntpntpntp, Reason: typo »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 08:57:24 AM »
G'day from Australia, ahellary, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

An interesting post.

I introduced myself to this forum with a query about the Peco scissors formation!  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I'm of little help, because I bought the unit  9 years ago, and have since lost it!  :-[

But I wouldn't be too worried about surface mounted motors.... they can be disguised by various scenic ploys.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 09:10:19 AM »
Being a Kato Unitrack user, I can not help with your query ahellary, but what I can say is - welcome to the forum.  I would think, knowing the friendly helpful people here, you will be getting plenty of advice.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 09:55:44 AM »
Welcome to the forum, ahellary :wave:
Could you mount one Seep against the underside of the baseboard and another on small blocks of stripwood like a 2 tier arrangement?
I read somewhere mounting Seeps on blocks to increase the length of the actuating pin also improves the throw.

Online PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 09:57:36 AM »
Hi

I don't have a scissor crossing but I do have several places where my points are close together. I used the Peco PL9 mounting plate to attach the Peco motor to the underside of the board and removed one of the mounting lugs on each mounting plate so they would overlap.

https://www.track-shack.com/acatalog/PL-9-Mounting-Plates-for-use-with-PL-10-Peco-PL-9.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw5_DsBRBPEiwAIEDRW_mANVXm6IJYTGQpy1AGFu1AODN2jWtlofae0nyacGMSQxnqDvCJvRoC8PUQAvD_BwE

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Online NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 09:58:38 AM »
hi all
i have 2 sissor crossings on my new layout and i was dondering how do you use point motos on it also what ones are people usinfg as the gap between of the 2 pairs of points are too narrow to get 2 seep motors side by side 

was thinking of either the surface mount peco motors but they are ugly or may be some method with servos  any idea would be appriciated

In the past I have used Cobalt motors, and arranged them so they are facing each other, rather than regimentally side by side.

However, I have since abandoned Cobalts for mini servos and the Megapoints control system. One advantage of the servos is the small footprint.

Best

Scott
PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.

“Having anxiety and depression is like being scared and tired at the same time. It's the fear of failure, but no urge to be productive. It's wanting friends, but hate socializing. It's wanting to be alone, but not wanting to be lonely. It's feeling everything at once then feeling paralyzingly numb.”

We're not crazy, or insane, we're just people living with a condition.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 10:50:16 AM »
I used servos on mine, which worked fine. Pulled them up now though, stuff never ran nicely through them.

I'd be surprised if the Peco sub-surface mounts don't fit somehow, it has the attachment points for them.

Online jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 02:53:47 PM »
Tortoise or Cobalts mounted asymetrically would probably work.

i.e one to the top right of the tiebar of the top most point on one side, and the other to the bottom left of the tiebar of the bottom most point.

If you go for Tortoises I find it is best to remove the springs from the points.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline ahellary

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 06:18:00 PM »
thanks for the help all

i will give it some thought to which way to go

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £51.00