!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: what track do i need to make a medium point double crossing ?  (Read 179 times)

Offline fastmoggy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Hi, slightly pulling my hair out here!
Im building a new layout based on the long newton layout but using streamline points and set track curves.
For the crossing I used 2x SL-E389 long points and SL-394 Long crossing BUT found out that firstly its too large to fit on a 5'11" x3' board so replaced the long points with 2 medium points SL-E396 which has a misalignment so the crossovers just behind that section wont fit correctly to get into the station.
My question is , can I use the SL-393 crossing with the points and get he correct geometry to keep the same spacing into the station?
I do have another question regarding the long points which is in a separate message

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: what track do i need to make a medium point double crossing ?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 11:45:06 AM »
For a double junction you need a curved crossing. Peco don't do one, so double junctions are a bit messy - you get dodgy spacing, or a kink in the track, or both. There isn't really a good way around this.

Offline fastmoggy

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 01:41:47 PM »
Hi, Thanks' for reply.
The long left points and long crossing do work out ok with no kinks and equal spacing between track after the point work which is why I went for it but that comes at a price of taking up almost 18" of board. Just a pity the locos don't like it and from past experience I know my dapol locos will throw a fit if they short out over iffy track work as the directional lights tend to stop working  :veryangry: 

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 02:19:00 PM »
In what way don't the locos like the large set up?

Are you using code 80, or 55? The problem with code 80 is the diverging angle at the frog is different on each size of turnout - so the medium turnout is a tighter angle than the large (which matches the crossing). Code 55 is a bit easier because all the turnouts use the same angle, but ideally you still need the diverging route to curve through the crossing.

IIRC the SL-393 crossing is a much 'wider' angle, closer to the set track geometry, so I don't think that'll help you here. I'm prepared to be wrong though.

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 04:20:07 PM »
I no longer have a double crossing, but when I did, I used Peco's E-396 medium radius points, but none of the Peco crossings would fit right for me, especially in the tight space that I had. I managed to pick up a (I think) Lima one, which had the correct angle. It's worth measuring sizes and angles and looking what other manufacturers have.

Offline fastmoggy

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 05:52:10 PM »
I used code 80 for the cross overs

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal