!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller  (Read 10599 times)

Offline ten0G

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2018, 10:47:30 AM »
According to the Farish list attached there were 4 SOs in choc/cream released as individual items, although how up to date the list is I'm not sure. (see pages 21/22)

I have 374-002A which is pre-Blue Riband, not as good a paintwork finish in my opinion on the earlier models.

Online Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2018, 06:42:30 PM »
Just a couple of photos taken while I was giving the layout a test run before Sutton Coldfield exhibition this weekend. Both of these are  summer 1963. I expect to run 1963 stock one day and 1968 the other.

Parcels train for Torbay

Western Champion on the milk run

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2018, 10:25:03 PM »
My second (as I have just found the first) copy of "Summer Saturdays in the West" has arrived and I'll be happy to pop it in the post to you (please, PM me) as I know that you'll find it very interesting as Martin has confirmed. I also have the 'companion' RCTS book, "Western Change: Summer Saturdays in the West 1957-1995" by Paul Chancellor, available very cheaply, which you definitely should also buy. Between them, you'll have even more info. on which rains to run on your lovely model.

The outside frame bogie Siphons lasted into the early 1960s.

I suppose you spray-painted your milk tankers in varying levels of dirty black. Something that I'm planning to try, later. D1015 "Western Champion" in its distinctive Golden Ochre livery (which it, alas, lost in mid-1965) looks almost as good as D1000 "Western Enterprise" in Desert Sand. D1000 has been requested from Plymouth Laira to haul a special train as has D1002 "Western Explorer" in Brunswick Green.

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2018, 06:04:22 PM »
Hi ,
Watched the layout at the Sutton show today - a lovely runner and despite the weather displays on the layout - thunder and lightening  along with a bright spells I kept  pretty dry. 

The operators had a hard day as the procession of trains non stop, loads of manual switching to swap trains. - thanks for your efforts a good advert for N gauge.

Brilliant show at Sutton
Robert

Online Chris Morris

• Awards
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2018, 08:32:48 AM »
More of the same only set in 1968 this time at Sutton Coldfield model railway exhibition

Next stop Exeter on 30 June/1st July. Can't help feeling exhibiting my caricature about 15 miles away from the actual Aller Junction could be interesting in maybe both good and bad ways.

Online Chris Morris

• Awards
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2018, 08:37:36 AM »
Both Dapol and Farish locos got some fair old usage over the weekend. The only problem encountered with the locos was a buffer going missing off my new blue Hymek :(
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:42:39 AM by Chris Morris »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2018, 08:42:33 AM »
Both Dapol and Farish locos got some fair usage over the weekend. The only problem encountered with the locos was a buffer going missing of my new blue Hymek :(

Sorry to read that, Chris. I hope that you can source and fit a replacement buffer. Many thanks for the latest updates.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:43:38 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated »

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2018, 08:43:02 AM »
 :thankyousign:
That's one very busy junction  :)
If it looks right, it probably is right.

Online Chris Morris

• Awards
« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2018, 08:45:37 AM »
Yes easily done. I think I have a few Dapol spare buffers somewhere but they are very hard to find because they are so small. Alternative is to buy some from N brass loco - http://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/fitbr.html#buf

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• N Gauge Society Number: 26830
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: April 30, 2018, 01:57:07 PM »
I was  particularly impressed with your new back scenes.  I don't think the photographs posted show the true sky colour - it looks even better in the flesh.

Online Chris Morris

• Awards
« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2018, 08:34:46 AM »
I've now got a chocolate and cream SO to put next to my chocolate & cream buffet car.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2018, 04:44:53 PM »
I've now got a chocolate and cream SO to put next to my chocolate & cream buffet car.

Excellent, Chris.

Online Chris Morris

• Awards
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2018, 07:45:15 PM »
Just playing with a new camera tonight but decided to share a couple of shots. I didn't do the proper things like using a tripod, additional lighting or small aperture which of course would have made things better.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #133 on: May 22, 2018, 08:40:01 AM »
Thanks for these two excellent photos., Chris, of some of my favourite locos.: D1000 in Desert Sand and the Ivatt 2-6-0s in BR WR Lined Green livery.

Online Chris Morris

• Awards
« Reply #134 on: May 24, 2018, 09:59:58 AM »
I was looking for short trains to run on the Torbay line. I recently found just what I was looking for; two interesting trains and within a gnatís whisker of being in my time frame for the summer of 1963.
The Brixham branch closed in May 1963 which is pretty nearly summer. During the last year or so of its life it was diesel operated, usually with a railcar. This railcar would have been kept at Newton Abbot overnight so I can happily run a railcar through the Junction even though it is an odd vehicle for a main line.

Iíve found a photo of a freight train at Churston that has just come off the Brixham branch.  It consisted of three vans and two open wagons with a brake van at each end hauled by a class 22. I would never have thought of putting a brake van at each end of a main line train but this is a logical thing to do for working between the goods yard at Newton Abbot and Brixham as it would have made the shunting for change of direction at Churston easier and quicker. An easy train to replicate.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £347.00
Above Goal: £292.00
Site Currency: GBP
631% 
December Donations

Advertise Here