!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller  (Read 10534 times)

Offline Chris Morris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
Re: The Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2018, 11:12:07 PM »
1963 one day and 1968 the other would get my vote, Chris, but I'd substitute 1962 or even 1961 as there were very few WR steam locos. running in the Southwest after 1962 and not that many in 1962. (Exeter closed 10/63, whilst Plymouth Laira closed to steam 5/64). I believe the last BR Mark 1 in Chocolate and Cream vehicle was Mark I BSK W34885 in 1968. The Western Region was painting coaches in this scheme up to 1963. However, I think very few BR Crimson & Cream livery vehicles were still around after 1962, becoming ever rarer after that.

On another topic, did the "Westerns" carry a shedplate on each side?

Running 1963 allows me to run Western Enterprise in desert sand with small yellow panel and Western Champion in golden ochre. This would not be correct for prior to 1963. I do run one train double headed by a Grange and a Manor in  1963 guise. Iím building up locos for 1959 or maybe 1960 which will have just one Warship and the rest will be steam. I have just a few crimson and cream coaches to use mixed with maroon coaches for this period. Iím waiting with hope for the DJM King to have tooling kicked off. If the opportunity arises I hope to get hold of another Castle or a Hall which will give me the stock of steam locos I want for this period. I wonít run 1959/60 at exhibitions until I have at least two more steam outline locos.
Iím pretty happy that I have coaches and wagons that fit well but I hope the Revolution Esso tankers arrive soon.

The Western shedplate is located on the side near the right hand buffer.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2018, 09:10:08 AM »
If you ever decide to go back as far as Summer 1956, the July 2015 "Railway Magazine", had a very detailed article, "Holiday Heaven: A summer Saturday at Exeter St David's in 1956", which lists all the trains from Morning to Early Evening. From the lists you can work out the ratio of each type of steam loco. to the others that you would need to have a representative selection.

So the "Westerns" had two shedplates, one on each side. Presumably, so also did "Warships" at the same time.

Offline Chris Morris

• Awards
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2018, 10:22:18 AM »
If you ever decide to go back as far as Summer 1956, the July 2015 "Railway Magazine", had a very detailed article, "Holiday Heaven: A summer Saturday at Exeter St David's in 1956", which lists all the trains from Morning to Early Evening. From the lists you can work out the ratio of each type of steam loco. to the others that you would need to have a representative selection.

So the "Westerns" had two shedplates, one on each side. Presumably, so also did "Warships" at the same time.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that. From photos I have seen Halls seem to have been very common.

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2018, 11:17:48 AM »
If you are interested I have (somewhere  :confused1:) various working timetables from Exeter St Davids; although I haven't been for a while I am a member of the Exeter West group that operates the Exeter West signal box (preserved at Crewe).

Cheers Jon  :)
ďWe must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.Ē ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2018, 11:28:30 AM »
I have a bok somewhere - Summer Saturdays on the Sea Wall (or something simlar) which gives detailed timetabled workings (inc actual loco numbers).
I can dig it out and give you details if you are interested and want to buy one somewhere.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris Morris

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2018, 02:15:51 PM »
Thanks for the offers. I keep,thinking that one day I will book a day at the NRM to go through the working timetables there.

In the meantime I have been weathering my blue and great coaches plus another couple of recent additions to the fleet. My weathering is quite subtle and more to take the plastic look off stock than make it look dirty. As a yardstick, if nobody notices the weathering then it is probabaly about right.

The locos in the background have been weathered but not the DMU

DMU post weathering. The roof is dirty black and the frames/buffers are a mix of frame dirt and black while the blue remains untouched. This is based on the way trains that went through washing plants looked, and still look today. The front end could do with specks to represent dead flies but Iím happy the way it is.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 02:19:55 PM by Chris Morris »

Offline Chris Morris

• Awards
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2018, 02:24:30 PM »
Iíve also purchased one of the latest Dapol Hymeks. I donít need it but couldnít resist because it looked so cute. Again she has been gently weathered but Iíve kept the window frames clean. I had added a route code but it got pulled off with the masking tape. Never mind there are a few more in the pack. Itís a nice loco, runs well and pulls well.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2018, 04:16:28 PM »
Even though I'm a green diesel man (+ maroon + desert sand + golden ochre + Blue Pullman) I really like that blue with white window framing and small yellow panel :heart2:

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2018, 05:50:51 PM »
Even though I'm a green diesel man (+ maroon + desert sand + golden ochre + Blue Pullman) I really like that blue with white window framing and small yellow panel :heart2:
I've always been a steam man but coming across to N, I'm loving the impact that diesel has in this scale..... maybe next time :)
If it looks right, it probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2018, 12:18:37 PM »
The book is: "Summer Saturdays in the West" (1983) by David St.John Thomas and Simon Rocksburgh-Smith. I also have a copy somewhere. It's excellent and copies can be bought for less than one pound on Amazon UK. Well worth buying.

A book which I don't have but which might also be useful is: "Western Change: Summer Saturdays in the West, 1957-1995" by Paul Chancellor.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 01:45:49 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: More info. found. »

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2018, 12:13:58 AM »
"Operation Torbay" by Xpress Publishing is an excellent guide to passenger train movements and formations over the Newton Abbott-Kingswear section. Although it documents 1957 summer services I imagine it would hold good for 1959.

Some interesting takeaways are the WR's aversion to Mark 1s (only a handful to be seen in 1957, even in the named expresses), the appearance of several complete trains of LM and NE coaches, and several parcels trains booked for just a single BG.

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2018, 01:12:25 PM »
"Operation Torbay" by Xpress Publishing
the WR's aversion to Mark 1s (only a handful to be seen in 1957, even in the named expresses)

Does this suggest that non-Mk1 stock was re-liveried in chocolate & cream for named expresses at this time? 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 01:14:07 PM by ten0G »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2018, 07:08:53 PM »
Certainly some ex-GWR restaurant kitchen cars were repainted in BR WR Chocolate & Cream as no BR Standard equivalents were available; also some individual coaches, like the pair of 'Royal' Hawksworth BCKs.

When the "Cornish Riveria Express" was turned over to chocolate & cream Mk1s, a Collett-era restaurant car was painted to match - and very few ex-GW vehicles received BR Chocolate and Cream, apart from a few restaurant cars.

HAWKSWORTH BCK 7377

If anyone wants support for the case for chocolate and cream Hawksworths, let me tell you about brake composite 7377. It was built in 1948 carrying that livery and spent most of the period from then till 1957 reserved for VIP specials so only emerged from the shed at Old Oak Common on rare occasions. By the time it was finally deemed to need a repaint, in 1957, the WR had reintroduced chocolate and cream for named trains and 'Ocean Liner' boat specials so lucky old 7377 was given a fresh coat of chocolate and cream and never carried blood and custard. It continued to accompany VIPs and the saloons in which they travelled for some years afterwards. I haven't yet discovered whether or when it acquired BR Lined Maroon livery.

The two "royal" Hawksworth BCK's in BR WR Chocolate and Cream livery: W7372W and W7377W.

These two Hawksworth brake composites, 7372 and 7377, came out in 1949 in GWR chocolate and cream and were reserved straight away for special duties, i.e. Royal trains (for Royal household staff use) and VIP duties, usually working with one or more of the VIP saloons 9001-7. The 'Railway Observer' has many reports of their wanderings. They were kept in a shed at Old Oak Common out of harm's way and managed to escape blood and custard altogether. When the WR started using chocolate and cream these vehicles received it. One of the BCKs appeared in a "Blue Pullman" stand-by set in the early 1960s. 7377 survived to receive GWR livery on the South Devon Railway. 7377 is now at Buckfastleigh and 7372 at Didcot.

In Robert Hendry's 'BR Coaching Stock In Colour For The Modeller & Historian', there's an excellent photo. of W7372W still in WR Chocolate & Cream in September 1967 (possibly taken at Buckfastleigh...?).

The caption says it was put back into ordinary service but doesn't say when.

The only other Hawksworth design coaches to carry BR WR Chocolate & Cream livery -- apart from the SK that became a dynamometer car (which I think survives) and the brake composites, 7372 and 7377, kept for Royal and VIP work -- were the three BCKs 7374/5/6 converted to slip coaches in 1958 and painted in that livery. Slip working, of course, ceased in 1960 so the "new" slip coaches were redeployed to branch line work. Alas, there is no N Gauge RTR Hawksworth BCK (a surprising omission) as the conversion of a BCK to a slip coach doesn't look too difficult.

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2018, 09:52:49 PM »
Thanks Chris,

The only ex-GWR vehicle I suspected of receiving BR chocolate & cream was an as-yet unidentified catering car on "The Bristolian" which was featured in a b&w "Railway Roundabout" episode in the late fifties.  I thought it unlikely to still be in blood & custard. 

I have no further idea of what type of vehicle it was, perhaps some more-knowledgeable person knows.  There may be a momentary glimpse of the outside before the image of the speeding train changes.  Sorry I don't have the Youtube details at present. 

Tennoji

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2018, 06:07:11 PM »
For anyone interested, the episode from 1958.  The catering vehicle is briefly featured from 4'15" onwards.  Similar to the Restaurant Car on "The Cornish Riv," perhaps? 

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here