!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 54786 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)
« Reply #645 on: September 30, 2019, 12:04:21 PM »
2. Stobs, a small wayside station on the Waverley Route.  Totally different to Longfram - main line, almost no shunting, long trains.  Too big to fit in my house: scenic section will be around 8' long, but if I want to run trains I'll have to set the layout up in my workshop which is normally full of old Land Rovers.  So apart from testing the only time it will actually run is at shows.  It will also need a team of operators - three at any one time to keep things moving smoothly.
Richard
Is the idea to have actual loops at each end so that a train will run into a loop from the UP line and then be able to run out again onto the DOWN line (or vice versa) without having to manhandle it or do any shunting?
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #646 on: September 30, 2019, 12:26:19 PM »
Is the idea to have actual loops at each end so that a train will run into a loop from the UP line and then be able to run out again onto the DOWN line (or vice versa) without having to manhandle it or do any shunting?

Yes, the plan is the classic "dogbone", folded into a U shape.  It's essentially a single track oval, squashed in the middle and with storage loops on each of the curved bits.  The idea is that trains will run through the scenic section in one direction, then return some time later in the other.  Much better than just going round in circles.  There was no crossover at Stobs between Up and Down lines which makes the electrics nice and easy.

Richard

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #647 on: September 30, 2019, 12:29:32 PM »
I made a 1/12 scale mockup of the proposed layout a while back, can't remember if I posted it here before but it shows what I have in mind.

Richard

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #648 on: September 30, 2019, 12:55:34 PM »
Hi Richard

It sounds as though it's a similar plan to my layout.  If you use DCC, use digital point motors and a controller that allows you to set routes, it is possible for one person to control several trains at the same time by having a crib sheet that specifies the route for each train in turn.  Of course, you may not want to do that, but it's a suggestion.

I wish you the best of luck anyway.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #649 on: September 30, 2019, 03:53:19 PM »
Hi Richard

It sounds as though it's a similar plan to my layout.  If you use DCC, use digital point motors and a controller that allows you to set routes, it is possible for one person to control several trains at the same time by having a crib sheet that specifies the route for each train in turn.  Of course, you may not want to do that, but it's a suggestion.

I wish you the best of luck anyway.

Automation - hold that thought.  DCC is the invention of Satan himself and I'm not going down that route.  But if I had push button route setting, interlocked to stop an incoming train being routed into an occupied loop, combined with train detection to give a visual indication on a central panel of which loops were occupied, I'd looking at one man operation, no problem.  Even better would be some way to detect the identity of a particular train (express passenger, fast freight etc) and show it on the control panel. That might be more difficult though.

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #650 on: September 30, 2019, 04:03:48 PM »
Automation - hold that thought.  DCC is the invention of Satan himself and I'm not going down that route.  But if I had push button route setting, interlocked to stop an incoming train being routed into an occupied loop, combined with train detection to give a visual indication on a central panel of which loops were occupied, I'd looking at one man operation, no problem.  Even better would be some way to detect the identity of a particular train (express passenger, fast freight etc) and show it on the control panel. That might be more difficult though.

Railcomm will provide the feedback to tell you which locomotive is in which detection section. Given a computer (an Arduino or Raspberry PI)  you can do your interlocking too, and set your signals. If you've never done this it sounds complicated, but isn't, a push button to set a route can handle of the subsequent steps for you.

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #651 on: September 30, 2019, 06:49:38 PM »
Nice try @DCCDave but Richard is from the age of antiquity. He will not be using anything remotely digital. Most of his locos run as if they are DCC but that is basically because he takes a shell of some no-hoper of a toy train and re-engineers it into something resembeling a far greater model than the original manufacturer ever had in mind.
Ive told him he wouldnt need half the wiring he has on Longfram but he just looks at you as if to say 'that was the challenge I had in mind all along!' Richard wont be doing DCC.
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #652 on: September 30, 2019, 07:47:39 PM »
Hi again Richard.

I wouldn't dream of trying to convert you.  But after thirty years away from railway modelling, I returned to discover this thing called DCC and I couldn't believe how simple it made things.  There are just two wires from the controller, no auxilliary power, no switches, no isolated sections, nothing.  I don't have any automation, just a hand-held contoller and that's it.  It controlls the locos, the points and would even control the signals, if I had any (something for the future).  It would even control the lighting if I wanted it to.  I do have a carefully constructed operational timetable which tells me exactly where everything is, what to select and the settings required, etc.  Of course, I am able to watch the trains to keep tabs on them.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 06:25:50 AM by Innovationgame, Reason: Typo »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #653 on: September 30, 2019, 08:53:29 PM »
I made a 1/12 scale mockup of the proposed layout a while back, can't remember if I posted it here before but it shows what I have in mind.

Richard

That looks a very attractive model railway, Richard.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #654 on: October 06, 2019, 03:23:28 PM »
A wet Sunday spent adding a few more details.  The trackbed looked a bit bare and unfurnished to me, so I have made up some point rodding out of Plastikard strip.  From photos it looks as though all the cranks and compensators were, often as not, covered with wooden planking to protect them.  So I have done the same.  It's all a bit crude but gives the correct illusion from a distance.  I also made up a couple of drop-flap North British ground signals, which are again made up from bits of Plastikard and took about ten minutes.  Making them work would take a little longer.

Richard

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #655 on: October 06, 2019, 06:33:20 PM »
Excellent work, Richard. Your extensive attention to detail is really first-class.

Online maridunian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #656 on: October 06, 2019, 10:12:30 PM »
made up from bits of Plastikard and took about ten minutes.  Making them work would take a little longer.

:laughabovepost:
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #657 on: October 13, 2019, 06:31:30 PM »
As rail freight traffic dwindled in the 1960s, closed branch lines were sometimes used to store surplus wagons, hoping for an upturn which never came...

In reality I have been working through my wagon fleet, testing and adjusting couplings half a dozen wagons at a time. This is the end result: I have another five wagons which need one or both hooks replacing, mostly because I drilled the pivot hole through the shank oversize or off-square, but I have run out of etches so those will have to wait.  Next job is to sort out the drape at the front of the layout prior to Longfram's next public appearance.  This might be on 9th November but there was some confusion over which show I was booked for (the same chap is trying to organise two shows, brave man).  I need to confirm this asap.

Incidentally, if there are any exhibition managers out there with a gap to fill at short notice, Longframlington travels very well and I'll consider taking it pretty much anywhere.  It's not exactly James Street but it's a nice little layout, fully housetrained, no bother etc.

Richard

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #658 on: October 14, 2019, 07:09:50 PM »
Thank you for those photos., Richard. A very fine collection of goods rolling stock.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #659 on: October 15, 2019, 01:54:01 PM »
Longframlington's next appearance now confirmed as Wensum Valley on Saturday 9th November:

http://www.32amrc.co.uk/b-mrxwensum2019.htm

Provisional bookings for next year in North Norfolk, South Essex, Scottish Borders and Cheshire.  It would be nice to have a couple south and west of London at some point.

Richard

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here