!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 54825 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)
« Reply #570 on: June 03, 2019, 08:14:41 AM »

The Model Shop Directory says Sunday 9th so maybe someone should tell them....

https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/18883-FelixstoweAreaNGaugeGroupExhibition

Oh dear. Really pleased I raised it, but do now wonder how many might turn up Sunday...... Thought it a bit strange as itís always been Saturday, and in the Methodist church.

Izzy

Just trying to help.

Cheers weave

Thanks for that, I've emailed the directory to let them know.  100% definitely Saturday:

http://www.felixstowengauge.org.uk/

Richard

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #571 on: June 03, 2019, 04:15:57 PM »

Felixstowe is Sunday isnít it, or have I got it wrong? Hate you to turn up a day early, especially with the landrover probs!

Izzy

Definitely Saturday 8th June, 11am-4pm.

:whisper:
@belstone
Richard, I just checked the Felixtowe website and it says 10 till 4.30. Dont turning up at 10.45  :uneasy:
cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #572 on: June 04, 2019, 06:58:27 AM »

Richard, I just checked the Felixtowe website and it says 10 till 4.30. Dont turning up at 10.45  :uneasy:
cheers
Kirky

Typing error on my part, or wishful thinking?  I'd prefer 11am as I won't be able to set up the night before.  Early start on Saturday.

Richard

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #573 on: June 05, 2019, 10:42:12 AM »
I have now checked with the show organiser and the hours are definitely 10am - 4.30pm.  UK Model Shop Directory still says 11-4 but at least it now has the right day.

Richard

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #574 on: June 05, 2019, 10:58:30 AM »
All the best!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline sg

• N Gauge Society Number: 20842
    • Awards
« Reply #575 on: June 06, 2019, 11:00:29 PM »
Will you be at any exhibitions in the north east? Would love to see the layout as longfram is only around the corner.

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #576 on: June 06, 2019, 11:09:20 PM »
Will you be at any exhibitions in the north east? Would love to see the layout as longfram is only around the corner.
Indeed Richard is bringing Longframlington to the Cleveland Model Railway Club exhibition in Redcar on August 3rd and 4th this year. We are really pleased to be hosting Longframlington at our exhibition. We usually have about 15 layouts but off the top of my head I cant remember what else will be present - be I know our Stockton N gauge layout will also be exhibited.
I believe the adult entry cost is £4.50. Car parking is free and plentiful and its a bout a ten minute walk from Redcar Central station. We have catering facilities provided and there will be a varied selection of traders plying their wares.
We look forward to seeing you.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #577 on: June 08, 2019, 10:22:49 PM »
Showtime!

By 9am I had unloaded the truck and was ready to start setting up - plenty of time I thought for a 10am start.  Then I managed to bash one of the MERG 3D printed servo mounts for the loco release crossover, the operating wire pinged out and vanished, and I was in all kinds of trouble.  I found the missing wire, managed to fiddle it back into place but the damage to the servo mount meant that although the servo still worked, it needed reprogramming to change the throw slightly so that the blades moved fully over.  So I plugged in the programming box and realised I had no idea which of the four turnouts controlled by the board I needed to program.  I started flapping and ended up disturbing the settings for all four turnouts and had to reprogram the lot.

9.55am and I found that two of the "buzzers" weren't working.  The cause was easy to find - a wire had come adrift in a connecting block - but the block was directly above a trestle bracing bar so I couldn't get a screwdriver to it.  I had to remove the bracing bar, cross my fingers and hope the lack of support didn't overstress the join between the two boards while I fixed the wiring fault.

In a state of blind panic (public starting to come through the door) I assembled four trains on the fiddle yard with shaking hands, turned the controller knob and everything started to come right.  In short, the layout behaved near enough perfectly for six solid hours of operating.  I don't think there was any point during the day when I didn't have something moving.  The bulk of the traffic was handled by the K1 and J35 on freight, BRCW Type 2 on the "long" (two coach plus vans) passenger train.  All three ran impeccably: I don't think any of them stalled even once.  The "short" one-coach passenger service started out with the Ivatt 2MT but I quickly gave up on it (it has never run well in the four years I have had it), so I substituted the B1 and a little later the Ivatt 4MT.  J39 and NBL Type 2 put in brief appearances: the N15 had a bad attack of stage fright and refused to perform in public.  The "Crab" and J27 never saw daylight.

All the electrics worked 100% all day.  The only derailments I had were due to vehicles not being put on the rails properly in the fiddle yard.  Coupler reliability was about as good as I am ever going to get it, with maybe half a dozen "Hand of God" interventions through the day.  The "buzzers" saw very little use.  I had a few problems with coupling and uncoupling caused by the layout not sitting level: not sure yet whether this was caused by the floor or the board supports, but there was a definite downhill gradient towards the buffer stops. Overall I couldn't be happier with how the day went. 

Some lessons learned:

1. On the next layout the baseboard frames need to be deep enough to be sure nothing sticks out below them.  Those MERG servo mounts are quite tall. I don't think I can do much about the frame depth on Longframlington without reworking the supports.

2. I need to add turnout operating wires and servo mounts to the travelling tool kit, also label the two servo control boards so I know which output controls which turnout.

3. Also to add to the toolkit - some plywood packing pieces and a spirit level.

4. The black drape across the front needs completely rethinking.  It is a piece of black cloth attached to a length of 2x2 timber.  What I didn't reckon on was people treating it like a bar top and resting their arms or elbows on it while watching the trains.  One gentleman managed to pull the whole thing off its mounts (he was very apologetic about it).

5. I have been thinking for ages about removable ends for the cassettes to stop trains running off them while being turned.  After a couple of near-misses today that job will move up the priority list.

6. If I get time, the electrical connectors between the two boards need looking at.  I have two DIN plugs, a DC adapter type plug and socket and four servo connectors.  In an ideal world I would have a single multi-pin connector for everything: the paper labels fell off a couple of the servo connectors in transit which gave me a few anxious moments trying to work out which plug went where.

7. I tried to make it easier to put vehicles on the rails by adding card strips to the track on the cassettes but it hasn't worked.  I may have to buy one of those plastic rerailer things that I remember from my childhood, if they are still available.

Two months to Longfram's next appearance (Redcar in August) - I'd better get to work.

Richard

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #578 on: June 09, 2019, 09:27:12 AM »
@belstone
Hi Richard, so glad it all went well. I can completely empathise with that pre show stress situation. We had a similar situation at Pontefract when at 0950 everything suddenly stopped, and wouldn't restart. 8 frantic minutes under the boards, sweat pouring off me in waterfall proportions, blood pressure at an all time high (and I'm on medication for high bp). We got a train moving at 0959 - talk about panic!
Anyway, great to know that in the main Longfram behaved as well as it could. When you come up for our show, I'll certainly be around on the Friday to help set up if you want to set up the evening before? I think your pack should tell when you can get in,  cant remember off the top of my head. Or if you are leaving it until Saturday, I think exhibitors can get in from 8 and I'll be there then.
Any chance you'll have any magpie coupling frets available to sell?
Cheers
Kirky

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #579 on: June 09, 2019, 09:31:03 AM »
@belstone said :
7. I tried to make it easier to put vehicles on the rails by adding card strips to the track on the cassettes but it hasn't worked.  I may have to buy one of those plastic rerailer things that I remember from my childhood, if they are still available.

Not expensive:
https://www.hattons.co.uk/35468/peco_products_sl_337_re_railer/stockdetail.aspx

cheers
Kirky

Offline Izzy

• Awards
« Reply #580 on: June 09, 2019, 09:46:41 AM »
 Was pleased to be able to see Longframlington yeaterday at Felixstowe and chat about various aspects along with others.

A really good looking layout that ran well from a visitors viewpoint. It all just seemed to blend together nicely, particularly the backscene, giving a rounded and whole feeling when looking at it.

Certainly worth all the effort involved which has been chronicled here, well I think so, I hope Richard does!

regards,

Izzy

p.s. I've got a couple of those re-railers. Mixed views..... not easy to use without a decent length of track, and doesn't always work anyway.....

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #581 on: June 09, 2019, 09:56:59 AM »
Congratulations! Success!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Albeit, not without trauma, but lots of lessons learned there.

Well done, mate, and if I was there I'd be buying you a well-deserved VB  :beers:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #582 on: June 09, 2019, 10:35:52 AM »
Glad all went well despite a few tribulations, Richard. Well done, sir.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #583 on: June 09, 2019, 10:40:31 AM »
Longframlington is now unpacked and back on in its usual home.  Only a couple of casualties from the return journey: two magnets have fallen off one of the uncoupler flaps (stronger glue needed) and the baler that was sitting at the front of the goods platform had disappeared.  I thought someone had nicked it, but found it in the bottom of the flight case.

I need to put a couple of handles on top of the flight case lid as it is a bit heavy and awkward with the trestles attached.  I'm also having fresh thoughts about the fiddle yard. The cassettes work well in themselves but being long and narrow they need very steady hands to turn them round, and sooner or later I will drop one and destroy an entire train. I'm thinking along the lines of a Denny-type removable fiddle yard (see Peco's "60 Plans for Small Railways") with drop-down flaps at each end, possibly pivoting at the far end like a sector plate, with brass bolts to provide alignment and power to the track in use.  The idea is to set up four trains on the fiddle yard (passenger, freight, passenger, freight), run them in sequence (which is what I was doing all day yesterday), then when all four trains have returned to the fiddle yard and are facing the wrong way I can drop the flaps, lift out the entire yard, turn it through 180 degrees and start again. A turntable-style fiddle yard would be even better but I don't have the width for it.

Richard

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #584 on: June 09, 2019, 11:29:07 AM »
Yep, the Denny turntable would be good, but your idea seems like a workable solution.  :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here