!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 55314 times)

Offline Black Sheep

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)
« Reply #450 on: July 24, 2018, 09:54:22 AM »
Thanks for All the font tips.  I tried Gill Sans last night but it's still not quite right.  Something about the proportions of the letters.  It's a distinctive style that was used in the Borders and I'll find it eventually.

Richard

Got a photo?

Work is quiet and I have a number of graphic designers around who may recognise the font

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #451 on: July 24, 2018, 11:43:10 PM »
Thanks for All the font tips.  I tried Gill Sans last night but it's still not quite right.  Something about the proportions of the letters.  It's a distinctive style that was used in the Borders and I'll find it eventually.

Richard

Got a photo?

Work is quiet and I have a number of graphic designers around who may recognise the font

I can't find many photos of station nameboards in the region but managed to extract this from a larger photo.

Richard

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #452 on: July 25, 2018, 11:10:08 PM »
Back onto reliability testing (a.k.a. playing trains).  Every time something goes wrong, even if it is just a loco hesitating over pointwork, I stop and investigate. In two evenings of intensive operation I have had to adjust the coupler height on two wagons, regauge a couple of wheelsets, change one wobbly wagon wheelset, make a new drawbar for the J39, and clean a couple of bits of track I missed.

The latest problem is the turnout at the far end of the platform.  It is one of the originals from when I built the layout, a modified (i.e. butchered) Finetrax item and slightly narrow to gauge through the frog crossing which was OK with NEM back to back at 7.45mm, but not at all happy with NMRA wheelsets at 7.65mm.  I attacked it with a Dremel which was a bit heavy-handed in hindsight, then tidied it up with a file, but the B1 still bumps and lurches through it.  I could replace it but it is only really used for loco release and doesn't actually cause derailments so I think I will leave it for now. The B1 is seriously intolerant of even the slightest track defects.

The next job on the list is a controller.  I have a circuit diagram from MERG for a controller designed specifically for N gauge back in 1993 with switchable feedback and other nice things, but turning the diagram into a PCB with the same dimensions as my old AMR controller is a bit beyond my skills.  I'll find a way round this problem somehow, then I can get my feedback-intolerant locos (2MT, J27 and the second J39 with a weird 6-pole square can motor) back into action.  For now the BRCW Type 2 is doing most of the work: here it is shunting the daily goods and about to shunt the five wagons behind the brake van into three different sidings, all hands-off.  Most satisfying.

Richard

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #453 on: July 26, 2018, 07:49:55 AM »
Fantastic attention to detail Richard, again.
Im wondering if the heat is causing you some problems - well your railway at least. Reports today suggest you might hit the hottest spot in the UK ever today -somewhere near 38 degrees I think - phew thats hot.
Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Izzy

• Awards
« Reply #454 on: July 26, 2018, 08:29:12 AM »
When I first started using coreless in the early 1980’s the late Len Rich (of AMR) tried adjusting one of controllers I had to work with them. Sadly no manner of alteration would really work and in the end I made my own - slightly larger - handhelds from the panel kits Gaugemaster used to sell, the 100k, a simple emitter/follower circuit controller said to be suitable for use with coreless. And they have been, while also giving good control of ‘ordinary’ motor locos.

I often wonder if the current Gaugemaster basic handhelds are the same/similar. I do have a couple of the Bachmann units out of sets I have bought, which are nowhere near as good in comparison, quite poor actually.

Izzy

Offline SheldonC

• N Gauge Society Number: 24370
    • Awards
« Reply #455 on: July 27, 2018, 09:29:18 PM »
When I first started using coreless in the early 1980’s the late Len Rich (of AMR) tried adjusting one of controllers I had to work with them. Sadly no manner of alteration would really work and in the end I made my own - slightly larger - handhelds from the panel kits Gaugemaster used to sell, the 100k, a simple emitter/follower circuit controller said to be suitable for use with coreless. And they have been, while also giving good control of ‘ordinary’ motor locos.

I often wonder if the current Gaugemaster basic handhelds are the same/similar. I do have a couple of the Bachmann units out of sets I have bought, which are nowhere near as good in comparison, quite poor actually.

Izzy
Best plan would be to ask them; Gaugemaster were obligingly prompt in replying to my similar query about one of their 35-year-old simulator controllers.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #456 on: August 01, 2018, 12:02:03 AM »

After overdosing on North-Eastern modelling at Railex NE on Sunday I have been inspired to dig out my "proper" Northumbrian engine.  65789 has now been regauged to NMRA standards and fitted with couplers.  With the back to back set at 7.65mm it derailed in a couple of places and wasn't happy, so I squeezed the loco wheels inward a fraction and it is now fine.  I suspect the flanges are a bit on the thick side - the tender wheels are set at 7.65 and have given no problems. My J27 is abominably crude compared to Bob Jones' (2mm FS) J26 on Fencehouses, but at least mine has handrails and paint  :nerner:

It's still not a great runner - weedy motor and not enough weight over the driving wheels.  At some point I will rework it with a larger motor in the tender driving through a shaft and universal joints.  Ideally I would move the drive gear to the rear axle at the same time and get rid of the unsightly wormwheel under the boiler, but I think that might be pushing my luck, there's little enough left of the original Farish chassis as it is.

Looking at the picture above reminds me that I am thinking about changing the backscene.  I have never really been happy with it, too prominent and with a big join and glue smears on it.  I am going to try painting my own representation of distant hills and see what happens. Here is the real thing, the view north from the back of the village courtesy of Google Maps.

Richard

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #457 on: August 04, 2018, 11:08:55 PM »
I thought that before scrapping my backscene I would see if it could be improved slightly, so I set to work with a tester pot of matt emulsion and some watercolour blocks.  I have lopped between one and two inches off the top of the hills behind the terraced houses, touched up the join at the station end and painted over some of the more obvious glue smudges.  Still needs a little bit more work but I am pretty happy with it. This first photo was taken from almost exactly the same position as the one in my post on 25th July and I think the difference is obvious enough.

I then had another decent length operating session, two goods trains and one passenger, all running well with only the occasional hiccup.  Here a J39 stands in the yard with a typically North-Eastern coal hopper.

I finished the evening by digging out my box of unfinished locos to see what could be made to run.  At the moment I have in working order:

64843 J39
65789 J27
61184 B1
D5307 BRCW Type 2

Of the project locos:
46474 (Ivatt 2MT) needs regauging and new couplers, and doesn't really like my AMR controller although it just about copes.

The second J39 (currently anonymous) is in much the same state.

69155 (N15 tank) has a bad limp which has so far defied all efforts to correct it.

D6134 (NBL Type 2 diesel) - the surprise of the evening.  It is an old Langley body kit on an Atlas chassis from the 1980s.  I wasn't expecting much, but I tried it and it just glides along.  The reason?  It is an American chassis so the wheelsets are to NMRA standards, the same standards I am now using for my track. 

I have a second Atlas chassis but it has electrical issues.  If fixed it looks like it might provide a mechanism for a diesel of some kind.

62023 (K1) - running on a 1970s Poole Farish chassis and the flanges are actually deeper than the height of Code 40 rail.  Anyone got a late production (Poole designed) Black Five set of wheels and motion?

If I'm not careful I will end up with more locos than wagons.  Time to get back to making and fitting couplers for a few days.

Richard
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 11:33:06 PM by belstone »

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #458 on: August 05, 2018, 08:51:59 AM »
Thank you for these splendid photographs, Richard.

I think your re-worked backscene looks super.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #459 on: August 05, 2018, 04:55:48 PM »
I thought that before scrapping my backscene I would see if it could be improved slightly, so I set to work with a tester pot of matt emulsion

Looks good, especially its lower contrast than the foreground objects. Do you plan to curve the corner ?

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #460 on: August 05, 2018, 06:38:18 PM »
Much improved :thumbsup: If my memory serves me right it looks more typical of that part of the world.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #461 on: August 05, 2018, 07:44:58 PM »
Very atmospheric.
I think it looks excellent.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #462 on: August 05, 2018, 10:19:52 PM »

Looks good, especially its lower contrast than the foreground objects. Do you plan to curve the corner ?

Mike

The backscene is removable in three sections, it has to be as the backboard is in one piece and does not have a break at the join between the two baseboards.  Making a detachable backscene with curved ends would be tricky I think.

Meanwhile back in 1963... the introduction of diesels saw various types tried out in different parts of the country.  Gateshead has the dubious pleasure of a North British Type 2 (later class 29) on loan from Glasgow Eastfield, and Control has sensibly sent it to work the Longframlington branch, where it will not cause too much trouble when it breaks down...  D6134 is a deeply ancient Langley / Atlas kitbuilt relic which survived my clearout of N gauge models about fifteen years ago mainly because I didn't think anyone would want it. It has a certain period charm, and it doesn't look like we will see an RTR one any time soon. Given that this kit has been available for thirty years now I am surprised that I never see any others.

I have spent a bit of time fettling the mechanism but it still has pickup issues due to poor design and will shortly be returned to St Rollox Works for further rectification and some attention to the rather clumsy painted windowframes and handrails.  If I could get the thing to pick up from more than one axle at a time it would be a fabulous runner: the original motor was getting a little tired so it now has a skew-wound 5-pole replacement from China.

Richard

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #463 on: August 06, 2018, 06:57:43 PM »
Anyone got a late production (Poole designed) Black Five set of wheels and motion?
I think I have Richard, I'll have a look in the loft when I next get sent up there.  :hmmm:

Chers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #464 on: August 08, 2018, 11:34:44 PM »
I have spent a couple of evenings fitting couplers to vehicles (including my old Minitrix Gresley brake end) and rewarded myself with another operating session in which nothing much went wrong. I'm now getting consistently good reliability for the first time in my long involvement with N gauge, so I must be doing something right.

Richard

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here