!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 54992 times)

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)
« Reply #435 on: July 15, 2018, 09:15:12 AM »

Not the best of photos but this is the uncoupler at the station throat - four under-track magnets on a single hinged flap. It works, although I need to put down markers (I normally use old sleepers by the trackside) so I can position vehicles over the magnets.  I had a decent shunting session last night, the first since I relaid the track, and after chasing down another electrical fault (wire had pulled out of a terminal block) everything worked fine with no derailments. I am now trying to summon up the enthusiasm to start ballasting and painting the new track...

Richard

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #436 on: July 15, 2018, 09:29:39 AM »
@belstone
Hi Richard, Looking really good.
It sounds like you are getting total reliability from the couplers? Is that the case?
Having four magnets on one hinge: is that running down the length of the track? that is are the four magnets on the same piece of track for the same uncoupling position, or is the flap/hinge at right angles to the track, being used for different positions on the layout? If they are all on the same bit of track, why do you need to use that many magnets?
Looking forward to seeing the track reballasted.
Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #437 on: July 15, 2018, 11:28:43 AM »
@belstone
Hi Richard, Looking really good.
It sounds like you are getting total reliability from the couplers? Is that the case?
Having four magnets on one hinge: is that running down the length of the track? that is are the four magnets on the same piece of track for the same uncoupling position, or is the flap/hinge at right angles to the track, being used for different positions on the layout? If they are all on the same bit of track, why do you need to use that many magnets?
Looking forward to seeing the track reballasted.
Cheers
Kirky

Reliability on the couplers is as close to 100% as I think it will ever be, given their small size and all the various factors affecting their operation.  I would happily take the layout to an exhibition now.  The hinge is at right angles to the track, where there are four roads close together (through, loop. bay platform and goods siding): in effect I have four uncouplers powered by a single servo which is nice and economical.  The uncoupler at the "country" end covers two roads, through and loop.

Richard

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #438 on: July 15, 2018, 06:04:24 PM »
Ah, thanks Richard, I hadnt realised it was four magnets for four roads. Makes sense now, and very economic too.
Great work.
Think it would be great to see at an exhibition soon. I wonder if I can persuade you and our exhibition manager to do CMRC (Redcar) next year?
cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #439 on: July 15, 2018, 10:53:50 PM »
Ah, thanks Richard, I hadnt realised it was four magnets for four roads. Makes sense now, and very economic too.
Great work.
Think it would be great to see at an exhibition soon. I wonder if I can persuade you and our exhibition manager to do CMRC (Redcar) next year?
cheers
Kirky

I like the idea of showing it in the North-East where it belongs.  Will probably try a couple of local shows first and see how I get on, but if Redcar has space for a standard 6 x 2 table in a corner somewhere I might be persuaded.  At the moment I'm trying to work out how I can get up to Railex NE at the end of the month, lots there I want to see.  Including Northallerton of course.

Richard

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #440 on: July 16, 2018, 05:45:40 PM »
Great work.
cheers
Kirky

I like the idea of showing it in the North-East where it belongs.  Will probably try a couple of local shows first and see how I get on, but if Redcar has space for a standard 6 x 2 table in a corner somewhere I might be persuaded.  At the moment I'm trying to work out how I can get up to Railex NE at the end of the month, lots there I want to see.  Including Northallerton of course.

Richard
It would be great news if could come next year. For pencilling purposes we are always the first weekend in August. I will talk to our exhibition manager tomorrow!
If you get to Railex, please do come and say hello.

Kirky
I

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #441 on: July 22, 2018, 09:56:19 PM »
Normal Working Resumed... the new track is now ballasted and the trackbed painted (with enamels rather than emulsion this time to avoid the problems I had previously with water getting into the trackbase). I had plenty of fun freeing up my delicate little tiebar mechanisms, one of the blades became detached but I was able to solder it back with no problems.  I then had an extended running session with lots of complex shunting moves, making full use of the new crossover and the uncouplers. No derailments, no need for the "Hand of God", everything good as gold.  I still have to sort out the back to backs on a few vehicles to get a totally smooth ride through the crossovers, but overall I'm more than happy.

I can now get back to adding details. The station finally has a nameboard but I'm still not happy with the lettering - it looked OK on the computer screen but a bit weedy and widely spaced once I had printed it out. 

Richard

Offline Black Sheep

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #442 on: July 23, 2018, 09:57:38 AM »

I can now get back to adding details. The station finally has a nameboard but I'm still not happy with the lettering - it looked OK on the computer screen but a bit weedy and widely spaced once I had printed it out. 

Richard

I like the name board, was about to ask where you got it from as I'll be needing some for mine - most commercial suppliers won't do a name as long as I require

Offline Izzy

• Awards
« Reply #443 on: July 23, 2018, 10:55:29 AM »

I don't know what font you used but I have read that Trebuchet MS - particularly the bolder options - are a good match for BR fonts. I think in some apps you can adjust the letter spacing as well to suit.  It's all looking really good, but I do find it surprising how some of the smaller details like this can seem to make a real difference when you add them.

Izzy

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #444 on: July 23, 2018, 11:22:43 AM »

I don't know what font you used but I have read that Trebuchet MS - particularly the bolder options - are a good match for BR fonts. I think in some apps you can adjust the letter spacing as well to suit.  It's all looking really good, but I do find it surprising how some of the smaller details like this can seem to make a real difference when you add them.

Izzy

Gill Sans is the correct option for LNER from 1928 and the BR after nationalisation until 1964 when Rail Alphabet (a variation of Transport, as used on motorway signs, Helvetica is a close option, I've got the font somewhere!) replaced it along with the corporate re-brand, Gill Sans came back in 1994 with privatisation being displaced in recent years by Raleway, I do have Raleway which is the current signage font (with the W looking like two V V crossing over) on my computer at work.

Let me know what size you want it to fit and background colour and it'll take me two mins :D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:50:11 AM by Black Sheep »

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #445 on: July 23, 2018, 04:21:04 PM »
I have two BR fonts, heavy and normal. If anyone would like them I can send them the files.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline Izzy

• Awards
« Reply #446 on: July 23, 2018, 04:36:28 PM »

Izzy

Gill Sans is the correct option for LNER from 1928 and the BR after nationalisation until 1964 when Rail Alphabet (a variation of Transport, as used on motorway signs, Helvetica is a close option, I've got the font somewhere!) replaced it along with the corporate re-brand, Gill Sans came back in 1994 with privatisation being displaced in recent years by Raleway, I do have Raleway which is the current signage font (with the W looking like two V V crossing over) on my computer at work.

Let me know what size you want it to fit and background colour and it'll take me two mins :D

Yes, I offered the idea of Trebuchet MS because not everyone has access to Gill sans as it's not a free font. I think it matches mostly except with the lower case g.

Izzy

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #447 on: July 23, 2018, 08:15:19 PM »

Yes, I offered the idea of Trebuchet MS because not everyone has access to Gill sans as it's not a free font. I think it matches mostly except with the lower case g.

Izzy

There's a few diferences between the two, M being another one, I'd have to have a check which are the other closest options - If ayone needs anything doing in Gill Sans or Raleway etc I'm happy to do so

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #448 on: July 24, 2018, 07:45:55 AM »
Thanks for All the font tips.  I tried Gill Sans last night but it's still not quite right.  Something about the proportions of the letters.  It's a distinctive style that was used in the Borders and I'll find it eventually.

Richard

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #449 on: July 24, 2018, 08:48:34 AM »
Thanks for All the font tips.  I tried Gill Sans last night but it's still not quite right.  Something about the proportions of the letters.  It's a distinctive style that was used in the Borders and I'll find it eventually.

Richard

I agree, Richard.  The station nameboard would not (normally) have been the work of the LNER or BR.  It would have dated from NBR days (assuming the NB built the line rather than taking over an independent company).  It would probably have been made from cast iron letters screwed on to a wooden board.  I think that it looks very good as it is, although, as you say, perhaps just a tad wide on the spacing.

A lovely layout.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here