!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 54847 times)

Offline JasonBz

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (and this time I mean it) - Border country, 1963
« Reply #270 on: October 01, 2016, 12:32:43 AM »
When I saw the bag with Desert Sand I thought you had a secret plan to go Western Region with a Thousand in that colour :D

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #271 on: October 01, 2016, 08:30:33 PM »
The train cupboard is an excellent solution. I wonder whether Cant Cove would fit in one? 8-)

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #272 on: October 02, 2016, 07:07:09 PM »
Today I started work on my redesigned fiddle yard.  Note that Finetrax cannot be lifted intact for reuse however carefully you try.  After a bit of messing about with knife blades etc I just took a broad chisel to the whole lot, removing all the track and trackbed up to the level crossing.  The cassettes are aluminium channel with Setrack glued in place, using spacers at the end to ensure that the track is dead central in the channel.  I cut a short piece of channel to attach to the baseboard as an alignment guide, then bridged the gap between level crossing and fiddle yard with a short piece of Setrack, with the base carefully packed to ensure it met level with the Finetrax. This section of track is partly within the scenic area but hidden behind the pub, so with plenty of ballasting it should not be too noticeable.

The cassette is held in alignment by two brass pins bearing on the inner corners, and phosphor bronze wipers on the outside transmit the current.  It all looks a bit Heath Robinson but seems to work OK so far.  I have only done the contact pads and wiring on one of the cassettes so far.  I have made up three - two at 500mm and one at 350mm.  I have enough channel section for one more cassette but have run out of track.

The 500mm cassettes will handle the length of trains I want to run.  They overhang the end of the board a little but that shouldn't be a problem.  I need to fit the removable end stops and also build in a rerailing ramp as there is not a lot of clearance for fingers within the channel.

Despite not having run since I started the scenery, the layout seems to still work.  I have started tidying up the electrics a bit, need a DIN plug and a couple of sockets for the controller so I can operate the layout from either side. Meanwhile I'll have to get on with the scenic stuff, no excuses now.

Richard 

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #273 on: October 02, 2016, 07:09:16 PM »
Glad it's going well, Richard. Thanks for the update.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #274 on: October 02, 2016, 07:58:37 PM »
It looks as though perseverance is one of your positive virtues!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #275 on: October 02, 2016, 08:57:07 PM »
 :hellosign: Thanks for the explanation & updates, looking very interesting
regards Derek.

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #276 on: October 07, 2016, 05:50:33 PM »
Thanks Richard. Neat solution that for joint my set track to code 40. Have you run a train through it yet?
Cheers
Kirky.
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #277 on: November 07, 2016, 10:20:02 PM »
No layout progress over the last month due to other commitments.  Maybe the layout cupboard is not such a good idea after all - out of sight, out of mind :(  However, I was thinking the other evening that I don't actually have any "correct" locos yet, so I dug out my half-finished J27 and had a bit of a blitz on it.  Here it is in cruel close-up, showing all its faults.  It looks a bit better in real life, and will look better still with some weathering and a bit of finishing off.  A front coupler might not be a bad thing as well, on a shunting engine.

65789, one of the first J27s built, was a North Blyth engine for almost all its life, and ended up having the longest working life of all the J27s, finally going for scrap in July 1967 at 61 years of age.  This loco worked the Wansbeck Valley line on several occasions, including some of the demolition trains when the track was being lifted after the branch closed in 1966.  So it seemed a good choice for my model.

Richard

Offline jrb

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Aire Valley Railway Modellers' Club
    • Awards
« Reply #278 on: March 13, 2017, 04:51:12 PM »
@belstone

Richard,

Have you done any more on this recently? Just re-read the entire thread as I'm thinking of doing a small end-to-end layout in Finetrax, so thought I'd bump it...  :D

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #279 on: March 22, 2017, 08:31:44 PM »
@belstone

:bump:

Are you still with us, Richard, as not only have I been following your layout construction but also your coupling designs?

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #280 on: March 22, 2017, 09:38:39 PM »
@belstone

:bump:

Are you still with us, Richard, as not only have I been following your layout construction but also your coupling designs?

I'm still alive, but for various reasons I haven't done any modelling over the last few months, apart from resurrecting a very early production Union Mills J39 which had been bodged almost beyond repair and now has one of those Chinese coreless motors in it. Sometimes I just leave the layout alone for months at a time and find other things to do, then come back full of enthusiasm.  I might dig it out of storage this weekend and see if anything still works.

Richard

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #281 on: August 20, 2017, 09:06:38 AM »
I'm back! Modelling had to take a back seat due to other commitments for a few months, and when I restarted work I ran into the Photobucket shambles and couldn't be bothered to find another host (although my old PB photos still seem to be showing up for now).  I'm now trying Smugmug so this post is just a test, using a photo of the layout as it was a couple of months ago.  61184 is a St Margarets B1 and destined for my next, massively ambitious project (Shankend station and viaduct on the Waverley route) so it is a bit out of place here.  More on Longframlington to follow when I have taken some photos of latest developments.

Richard

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #282 on: August 20, 2017, 09:27:35 AM »
I'm back! Modelling had to take a back seat due to other commitments for a few months, and when I restarted work I ran into the Photobucket shambles and couldn't be bothered to find another host (although my old PB photos still seem to be showing up for now).  I'm now trying Smugmug so this post is just a test, using a photo of the layout as it was a couple of months ago.  61184 is a St Margarets B1 and destined for my next, massively ambitious project (Shankend station and viaduct on the Waverley route) so it is a bit out of place here.  More on Longframlington to follow when I have taken some photos of latest developments.

Richard

Richard

Its great to see you back

Paul

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #283 on: August 20, 2017, 09:41:22 AM »
A few photos showing the current state of play.  Everything is temporary at this stage, none of the buildings, fences etc at the "village" end are glued down and I still have a lot of rough edges to sort out.  But it's coming on slowly.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #284 on: August 20, 2017, 10:20:33 AM »
Lovely modelling. I look forward very keenly to seeing Shankend develop!

Roy

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything