!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 55263 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (and this time I mean it) - Border country, 1963
« Reply #255 on: September 29, 2016, 05:51:15 AM »
Thanks for the update, Richard. A fine set of photos. I like your variety of differently weathered vans (many are kit-built, I think). I hope you're able to sort out the fiddle yard, soon, so that you can continue with the scenic work.

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #256 on: September 29, 2016, 10:07:38 AM »
Thanks for the update, Richard. A fine set of photos. I like your variety of differently weathered vans (many are kit-built, I think). I hope you're able to sort out the fiddle yard, soon, so that you can continue with the scenic work.

Yes, most of the vans are old Parkwood kits built in the bad old days when commercial N gauge was hard to get hold of.  These days we are spoilt for choice with BR rolling stock, about the only thing you can't buy RTR is a Palvan and I'm sure Farish will do one before long.  A decent plate wagon would be nice as well, the old Peco one doesn't really hack it these days but then it does date back to 1967. Next year I think is the 50th anniversary of the introduction of the Peco N gauge wagon range, I wonder if they are planning anything special?  Maybe the Lowmac that they showed at the 1966 Toy Fair and still haven't got round to making :)

This evening I am hopefully taking delivery of my new train cupboard, a pine wardrobe just big enough to store the layout, with a couple of drawers underneath for the stock, controller and other bits.  This should mean I can take out each half of the layout, work on it, then store it away so it doesn't get damaged or covered in dust.

Richard

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #257 on: September 29, 2016, 10:24:26 AM »
Love the bit about the lowmac!

However, seems like recent memories to me.....

I hate getting old!

There is no doubt in my mind that Peco championed British N Gauge.

A few mistakes along the way too, but hey, the company had long term visions, when you think about it.

Some N and 2FS enthusiasts sometimes seem to forget, or I guess, are unaware of it.

:beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #258 on: September 29, 2016, 11:03:53 AM »

I hate getting old!

A few mistakes along the way too, but hey, the company had long term visions, when you think about it.

Some N and 2FS enthusiasts sometimes seem to forget, or I guess, are unaware of it.

They showed an MGR hopper at the same fair, and it only took them about forty years to get that one into production. Incidentally this was a couple of years before I was born, I'm not that old but have a big pile of old Railway Modellers :)  You're right, Peco really threw their weight behind N gauge right at the start, I think Streamline flexi track and large radius points were 1965/66, the Minitrix Mk1 coaches started out as a Peco project, they made cast metal loco kits to fit Arnold chassis, buildings. scenic accessories etc at a time when you couldn't buy a single British outline RTR loco. I think they also set the British N standard of 1:148 on 9mm gauge track.

So yes, we all owe Peco a lot.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #259 on: September 29, 2016, 12:22:56 PM »
Just to remind myself what I'm trying to achieve here, last night I watched this again:

http://www.videoscene.co.uk/marsden-rail-34-steam-in-the-north-east.html

The last ten minutes are pure gold - passenger and freight on the Wansbeck Valley, Rothbury and Alnwick branches. Every time I watch it I spot a couple more little details that I can add to my layout. If you have any interest in North-Eastern steam (especially J27s, Q6s, K1s etc) I can't recommend this video highly enough.

Richard

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #260 on: September 29, 2016, 12:25:29 PM »
Even though it seems like yesterday to me, the period 1966-67 was an important one. N gauge started taking off in Europe, and Peco introduced a white metal Hymek kit to suit an Arnold chassis.

As Belstone suggests, it was probably the time that Peco introduced their Code 80 Streamline track (009 crazy track also) and of course, with the increased space that N allows, their long points. They had plastic frogs at the time, of course.

They also introduced a range of N buildings and plasticard building materials which are still used today.

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #261 on: September 29, 2016, 12:28:13 PM »
Sorry.... thread hijack.

Late night here in Australia and I'm off to bed.  :thumbsup:

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #262 on: September 29, 2016, 08:21:52 PM »

I hate getting old!

They showed an MGR hopper at the same fair, and it only took them about forty years to get that one into production. Incidentally this was a couple of years before I was born, I'm not that old but have a big pile of old Railway Modellers :)  You're right, Peco really threw their weight behind N gauge right at the start, I think Streamline flexi track and large radius points were 1965/66, the Minitrix Mk1 coaches started out as a Peco project, they made cast metal loco kits to fit Arnold chassis, buildings. scenic accessories etc at a time when you couldn't buy a single British outline RTR loco. I think they also set the British N standard of 1:148 on 9mm gauge track.

So yes, we all owe Peco a lot.

And here's me thinking the 142 was a bit late. It's nothing compared to the low Mac or mgr for that matter. :D :D

In all seriousness though, that is very interesting info that I was unaware of.  So thanks for that Richard.

I'm loving this thread Richard. Some really great gems of information.

Getting back to the subject of the fiddle yard, I think cassettes are definitely the way to go in this case. How long will the longest cassette need to be ? I ask because I think once they end up over about three feet they become awkward to turn. A good idea to build in some sort of drop down end stop to prevent trains falling out.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #263 on: September 29, 2016, 08:23:24 PM »
Train cupboard is here!

The fiddle yard board is a tight fit due to the bolts sticking out of one end, and I need to put some rails in to make sure the boards don't rub against each other.  But I think that was 40 well spent.  There might even be enough room for the trestles and backscenes when I get round to making them.

Richard

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #264 on: September 29, 2016, 08:35:03 PM »

Getting back to the subject of the fiddle yard, I think cassettes are definitely the way to go in this case. How long will the longest cassette need to be ? I ask because I think once they end up over about three feet they become awkward to turn. A good idea to build in some sort of drop down end stop to prevent trains falling out.

Cheers
Kirky

The first few will be 500mm (about 20 inches) which shouldn't be too awkward to handle. I've ordered four 500mm lengths of aluminium channel. The longest train that the layout will cope with is four coaches (just) which is a bit over 600mm with loco so I might make one longer cassette for special workings.  I've been thinking about some kind of pivoting flap at the ends to prevent Tay Bridge-style disasters.

Richard

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #265 on: September 29, 2016, 08:37:23 PM »
Very neat!
All that for 40 and a pair of drawers thrown in ;D ;)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #266 on: September 30, 2016, 06:35:16 AM »
That looks like a brilliant solution to a tight situation.  Well done! :bounce:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #267 on: September 30, 2016, 06:06:46 PM »
I had a wardrobe like that once, I wonder what happened to it?

I noticed you have several layouts worth of ballast left in that bag at the bottom of the wardrobe. Mustn't let that go to waste. :D

cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline gc4946

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5936
    • Awards
« Reply #268 on: September 30, 2016, 09:40:28 PM »
Train cupboard is here!

The fiddle yard board is a tight fit due to the bolts sticking out of one end, and I need to put some rails in to make sure the boards don't rub against each other.  But I think that was 40 well spent.  There might even be enough room for the trestles and backscenes when I get round to making them.

Richard

Good that you've got your models contained within your wardrobe and drawers. It keeps everything tidy, clean and ultimately free of dust.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #269 on: September 30, 2016, 09:57:12 PM »
I had a wardrobe like that once, I wonder what happened to it?

I noticed you have several layouts worth of ballast left in that bag at the bottom of the wardrobe. Mustn't let that go to waste. :D

cheers
Kirky

I wondered how long it would take for someone to spot the lizard sand.  If I keep building micro layouts there's a lifetime supply there.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
November Donations

Advertise Here