!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 55312 times)

Offline M0NTIGNAC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (and this time I mean it) - Border country, 1963
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2016, 09:45:36 PM »
 :wonderfulmodelling:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2016, 08:15:40 PM »
Really excellent modelling. It will be well worth it once completed as it will add to the 'sense of place'.

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2016, 10:57:18 PM »
How are your eyes today? Very neat though I think I would have used strip to make them.  :beers:

I thought about that but decided it stood a better chance of ending up straight if it was cut from sheet. When my eyes stop hurting I'll do the other one.  And then the goods yard needs an entrance gate, but that would probably be a bit less substantial. I haven't found any photos of one of those yet.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: August 28, 2016, 08:41:36 PM »
Not a huge amount of progress lately as I have been feeling lazy.  Must be the hot weather.  I managed to put a roof and chimney stacks on the station building, and also shaved 1mm off the bottom of the platform and cattle dock.  The platform top surface was done with a fine layer of lizard sand, thick coat of grey emulsion, then sanded down with coarse sandpaper to give a flat but unevenly coloured surface, with a couple of slightly bald patches where I sanded too much away the top surface has worn away with use. 

Today I started by making the second level crossing gate which didn't turn out quite as neat as the first but should tidy up.  I then went out and bought 5mm plywood, glue, screws and jigsaw blades, and made and fitted the profile edges around the station area board.  I have decided for now to work on one board at a time for space reasons.  I then filled the gaps between the profile edges and the baseboard top with bits of polystyrene packing, followed by DAS modelling clay to make a start on building up the landscape around the edge of the board.  Once this has dried I want to raise the station garden area slightly and put in some road bases, after that I can start on ground covering, walls, fences etc.

It seems like a very long time since I actually ran any trains, but locos and "wet" scenic modelling don't really mix, so it might be a while before I have anything running again.  I'd quite like to have the layout finished in time for my local club's exhibition next June, but I haven't been stupid enough to commit to that one yet.  Hopefully now that I have started the landscaping things will move on a bit faster.

Richard

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #184 on: August 29, 2016, 09:01:16 AM »
Interesting as ever Richard, thanks.
How did you stick the sand to the platform? Did you spread an even layer and wet it and drip in glue as per ballasting, or some other method?

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: August 29, 2016, 10:23:07 AM »
Interesting as ever Richard, thanks.
How did you stick the sand to the platform? Did you spread an even layer and wet it and drip in glue as per ballasting, or some other method?

Cheers
Kirky

I just gave it an even coat of diluted PVA then dumped a load of sand on the top.  It came out a bit lumpy, so I gave it an initial light sanding to level it off, a thick coat of emulsion to soak in and bind the sand together, then levelled it off with sandpaper.  There are now a couple of bits needing further attention where I managed to get small bits of DAS clay onto them, that stuff sticks to any rough surface under its own weight and is impossible to clean up.  Same goes for some of the ballasting but that's an easy fix, once I have finished the "wet" work. I'm glad I haven't painted most of the rails and chairs yet.

This morning I have levelled up the station garden (corrugated card glued down and blended in with more DAS), once that has dried I will apply the top coat (casting plaster mixed with brown paint pigment, so it doesn't show white if it chips, and painted over the top of thin bandage for strength).  I have also started constructing a large  tree for the corner of the garden. Battery cable, masking tape and more clay, and hopefully it will look a bit more tree-like than my previous efforts.  While walking the dogs this morning I was looking at trees to get a feel for the shape.  Looking at mine I think I need to shorten the lower part of the trunk slightly. I might also have a go at making a few small structures - greenhouse, garden shed and maybe a pre-fab garage for the stationmaster's Ford Anglia. Also a vegetable patch which will be tricky as I hate gardening and have no idea how it works.

Richard

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: September 04, 2016, 07:20:56 PM »
I should never take any money to model railway exhibitions. But I did, and the result is that Longframlington has had a visit from the North Eastern Region top brass, in their immaculate inspection saloon drawn by a rather grubby Heaton-based K1. The directors were unimpressed, and even a drink in the Percy Arms failed to improve their mood.  The state of the station approach road and garden came in for particular criticism and the directors departed after a couple of hours, muttering darkly about unprofitable branch lines and Dr Beeching's forthcoming review of the railway network.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #187 on: September 04, 2016, 07:39:06 PM »
I haven't got an inspection saloon but am tempted.
Looks good behind the K1.

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: September 04, 2016, 08:52:51 PM »
your a bad lad I'm now thinking about the LMS one for my layout

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #189 on: September 04, 2016, 09:20:22 PM »
I haven't got an inspection saloon but am tempted.
Looks good behind the K1.

I thoroughly recommend buying one, Martin, preferably BR Lined Marron with black ends (just like mine used by the 'Fat Controller' from BR Plymouth Division HQ!).

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #190 on: September 04, 2016, 09:22:40 PM »
Very nice photos., Richard. I hope a member of the local TUCC was drinking in the "Percy Arms" at the time and overheard the negative comments!

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: September 04, 2016, 10:54:43 PM »
Very nice photos., Richard. I hope a member of the local TUCC was drinking in the "Percy Arms" at the time and overheard the negative comments!

Sadly the local TUCC were away on a day trip to Alnwick, with free transport laid on by the Rothbury and District Omnibus Company.  The timing looks suspicious.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #192 on: September 05, 2016, 07:23:42 AM »

Sadly the local TUCC were away on a day trip to Alnwick, with free transport laid on by the Rothbury and District Omnibus Company.  The timing looks suspicious.

Definitely, very suspicious.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #193 on: September 12, 2016, 10:10:29 PM »
The last few days I have managed to grab the odd spare moment for some modelling, starting with building up the station garden and approach road.  My first attempt was a disaster: I laid the bandage on the surface dry and painted plaster over it, thinking it would soak through.  It didn't, so I had to peel the whole lot off and do it properly, this time soaking each strip of bandage thoroughly in plaster before laying it over the surface and smoothing it down.  Quick work needed as the plaster sets in about ten minutes.  I then sanded it down and used ready mixed Polyfilla to fill any major imperfections.  Once it had all dried I gave the "grass" areas two coats of brown emulsion.  The road had a coat of grey, then lizard sand dumped over the top and left to dry.  This will now have two more coats of grey to seal it and take some of the roughness out of the texture.

Now the fun bit - I painted the grass areas with diluted PVA and dumped various Woodland Scenics scatter materials on top.  I am now waiting for the glue to dry, then I can turn the board upside-down and see how much scatter mixture has stuck.  Hopefully most of it, then I can start working on the finer detail and varying the colour a bit.  There is a large earth coloured rectangle in the station garden which will be a vegetable plot.  It all looks rather rough, but remember this is just the first pass, many more hours of glueing and scattering to come.  I'm also still fiddling with my tree before I finally paint it and stick on some foliage. 

I have been trying to work out what to do with the area between the platform end and the goods siding, thinking of a basic loco servicing facility (water tower and a primitive coaling stage).  I tried building a water tank and filling it with Dapol Modelling Water but the results are not good, so perhaps the tank will end up with an enclosed top. I also need to repaint the track bed and station platform - sanding the plaster has left everything covered in a fine red dust which cannot be removed.  Great if I was modelling Consett station where the haematite dust got everywhere, but not quite the effect I am looking for on Longframlington.

Richard

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #194 on: September 12, 2016, 10:28:17 PM »
Hey Ho, Richard. We all learn by experimenting. I tried Woodland Scenics 'cement' sprayed over flock materials and did it stick? Did it :censored:
I had to revert to the good ole PVA dilute to get anything to stay put. It's worth getting one of those 'misting' bottles from your local chemist as that way you don't blast away the scatter materials.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here