!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 54799 times)

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (and this time I mean it) - Border country, 1963
« Reply #135 on: July 11, 2016, 07:31:12 AM »
Great work Richard. I agree wholeheartedly about your roofs. II've built one or two card buildings, from scratch, using metcalf brick paper, which I like a lot. But the roofs must use some kind of embossed material or they just look wrong. Putting a few drain and down pipes on also makes a differene I think.
I can barely see the sleeper spacing issue to which you refer, and I guess this is just a case of once you have seen  it your eye is always drawn towards it. I would have thought some sort of sleeper spacing jig wouldnt be impossible to build, or even have one 3d printed?
Thanks Richard.

Cherers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: July 11, 2016, 07:31:58 AM »
Slow but steady progress with so many new things to learn is much better, I think. You could always try a darker wash of paint on the ballast?

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: July 11, 2016, 07:35:12 AM »
Looks good. I think adding the ration roofing certainly makes a big difference to those Metcalfe kits.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2016, 11:04:28 PM »
I'm starting to enjoy working in cardboard.

If this looks a bit familiar, that's because it is a mirror image of the one on my last layout.  North British signalboxes were built to a fairly standard design.  I wasn't quite happy with the one on "Belstone" - it was my first ever scratchbuilt structure, built in embossed Plastikard.  The windows were too small and not deeply recessed enough into the walls.  This one is looking better.  Metcalfe printed card walls, Ratio plastic slate sheets for the roof, and glazing left over from the Metcalfe houses that I built at the weekend.  Lots still to do, I have a Ratio interior kit on order and need to add the balcony, steps and chimney as well as some other details.

At the corners I scribed the cardboard on the plain white side, bent it outwards and chamfered the inner edges either side of the scribed line at 45 degrees with a scalpel.  It's not quite a crisp neat right angled corner, but better I think than scribing the printed side (as Metcalfe do) and ending up with a white gap which has to be painted. Despite my best efforts at measuring it the roof does not quite overhang the ends enough - it is quite a tricky shape to get right, but by the time I have added guttering I think it will be OK.

Station building is still baffling me - I don't have drawings for anything that might be suitable, and I've lost the drawings for Scotsgap which I might have been able to use as a basis for something.  If anyone has a copy of the May 2013 Railway Modeller please PM me.

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2016, 12:04:31 AM »
If anyone has a copy of the May 2013 Railway Modeller please PM me.
I'll have a look in our club library for you, but I cant do that till Saturday. Hope you can wait.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2016, 07:34:29 AM »
I'll have a look in our club library for you, but I cant do that till Saturday. Hope you can wait.

Cheers
Kirky

Thanks, that would be very kind of you.

Richard

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2016, 12:26:50 AM »
Station Road is starting to take shape with a couple more buildings under construction.  The Percy Arms is actually a Metcalfe "Manor Farm" kit with various bits removed or repositioned.  I need to find some old photos of pubs to get some idea of what the pub sign might have looked like in the early 1960s. The land either side of the track will be raised to trackbed level so all the buildings will sit about 3mm higher than they do at the moment. A pause for finances to recover (these kits aren't especially cheap, although to be fair the quality is very good) and then I'll tackle the row of terraced houses at the back.

I'm going to be left with quite a few unused part kits - one corner shop / pub, a small cottage, and a barn which actually looks quite like a goods shed.  Unfortunately I don't think there is enough room along the front to squeeze it in.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2016, 06:41:04 AM »
Thanks for this latest update. The buildings already look very good. I'm glad that you're going to raise the land either side of the track to trackbed level; much better than having everything at baseboard level, I think.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2016, 09:46:16 AM »
Thanks for this latest update. The buildings already look very good. I'm glad that you're going to raise the land either side of the track to trackbed level; much better than having everything at baseboard level, I think.

I'll probably sort out the height issue next, before I do the ballasting.  I have a stack of cork floor tiles about the right thickness, and enough Evostik to get the entire population of Norfolk high for a week. So that's a job I can do without having to spend any money. I've now just about run out of Ratio roofing sheets, you don't get many in a pack.  They are actually a bit thick, I'd love to find some larger, thinner sheets but haven't yet found anything which reproduces the effect of the slates overlapping each other. Don't know if Slaters do something suitable, I have some old embossed sheets from them but they are just stamped flat, no overlap. My local model shop doesn't stock Slaters so I can't have a look at one.

I'm also pondering whether to pull up the fiddle yard and replace it with cassettes to get slightly longer train lengths. A train turntable would be even nicer but that would mean re-engineering the baseboard to get the required depth, which is a bit more work than I really fancy.

Richard

Offline jrb

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Aire Valley Railway Modellers' Club
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: July 15, 2016, 10:29:14 AM »
I've now just about run out of Ratio roofing sheets, you don't get many in a pack.  They are actually a bit thick, I'd love to find some larger, thinner sheets but haven't yet found anything which reproduces the effect of the slates overlapping each other. Don't know if Slaters do something suitable, I have some old embossed sheets from them but they are just stamped flat, no overlap. My local model shop doesn't stock Slaters so I can't have a look at one.

Unfortunately none of the Slater's sheets have overlapped tiles - their roof tile sheets are exactly the same as their paving slabs! Totally useless IMO.

I asked a very similar question in this thread, and the answer appears to be Redutex sheets, though I haven't actually bought any yet!

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2016, 01:12:51 PM »
Thanks for that, have ordered a Redutex slate roof sheet.  It looks promising, being thin and self-adhesive, so I can overlay it on the existing card roof and know it will fit OK. I will post results here when I have tried it.

Richard

Offline richard9002

• N Gauge Society Number: 25843
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: July 15, 2016, 08:21:52 PM »
Thanks for that, have ordered a Redutex slate roof sheet.  It looks promising, being thin and self-adhesive, so I can overlay it on the existing card roof and know it will fit OK. I will post results here when I have tried it.

Richard

Hope the Redutex sheet works out well for you, as I'm going to be in need of some slate roofing sheets myself at some point, and i'm not keen on the non-overlapping efforts by Slaters either. This may be just the stuff required.

(Another) Richard
Any opinion expressed above is mine and mine alone. Unless you happen to agree. Then they're your's too.

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: July 16, 2016, 06:33:53 PM »

Cheers
Kirky

Thanks, that would be very kind of you.

Richard
@Belstone
Hi Richard
Having located the box for RM 2013 - we have RMs going back to the 1950's - every bloomin month but May was there. In fact I found three copies of June, but alas, no May.  Very infuriating. Sorry.
Cheers
Kirky

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: July 16, 2016, 07:24:21 PM »

Hi Richard
Having located the box for RM 2013 - we have RMs going back to the 1950's - every bloomin month but May was there. In fact I found three copies of June, but alas, no May.  Very infuriating. Sorry.
Cheers
Kirky

Thanks for trying, I'll see if Fleabay has one for sale.

Richard

Offline richard9002

• N Gauge Society Number: 25843
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2016, 07:27:26 PM »
I may be able to help here @belstone. Shall PM you shortly!
Any opinion expressed above is mine and mine alone. Unless you happen to agree. Then they're your's too.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here