!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 56412 times)

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (and this time I mean it) - Border country, 1963
« Reply #240 on: September 25, 2016, 08:58:25 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, the problem is a lack of space.  I have the station access road, a strip about an inch wide between the road and the backscene, and an awkward triangle of land between the road and the railway. At the moment I'm thinking of going for the third pair of cottages, another half-relief pair opposite (or possibly some other kind of building, maybe the frontage for a Methodist chapel?), and a small half-relief bicycle repair shop next door.  The area between the station and houses will anyway look a bit less bare once I have put up some fencing, telegraph poles and a signal, plus a couple of cars parked on the station approach road. And it will look a bit better with the backscene in place.

Richard

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #241 on: September 25, 2016, 09:05:42 PM »
@belstone
Trees Richard. Fill the space with trees. You cant have enough trees in my opinion.

But of course thats just my opinion.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #242 on: September 25, 2016, 09:33:56 PM »
A small Non-Conformist chapel (maybe made of corrugated iron?) sounds an excellent idea.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #243 on: September 25, 2016, 09:34:39 PM »
Maybe a bit radical but how about doing away with the level crossing and put a road over bridge in the gap...........surrounded by trees for Kirky ;D

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #244 on: September 25, 2016, 09:37:05 PM »
A road overbridge with embankments would make a nice scenic break. The embankments could have a few trees and bushes.

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #245 on: September 25, 2016, 09:50:26 PM »
Nooooo
You can't make Richard throw away his level crossing gates - they are a thing of beauty. Anyway we want to see them working ;)

cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #246 on: September 25, 2016, 11:07:12 PM »
You'd have to go a long way back in the thread to find it, but the reason I didn't use a road overbridge as a scenic break is that the layout would then have been identical to my previous one except with fewer sidings, which is why I decided to try using buildings as a scenic break instead. This chapel at Earsdon, a few miles north of Newcastle on the coast road, is the sort of thing I have in mind:

I found a small cottage in the bits left over from my farm to pub conversion, which will be ideal for the cycle repair shop.  These sort of small workshops with living area above were quite common in rural areas - there was one very similar in the village where I grew up, where an old man with a long beard repaired lawnmowers. Just needs a hand painted sign above the door and a couple of bikes propped up outside.

I might also put a platelayers' hut somewhere. As for working crossing gates - sadly I've had to bin this idea as the crossing sits between two turnouts and the point motors take up all the space under the board.

Richard

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #247 on: September 26, 2016, 09:57:42 AM »
Nooooo
You can't make Richard throw away his level crossing gates - they are a thing of beauty. Anyway we want to see them working ;)

cheers
Kirky

That's very true: they are excellent level crossing gates.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #248 on: September 26, 2016, 02:48:18 PM »
Thinking this morning about the fiddle yard.  I want to get rid of that turnout (which might give me enough room for powered crossing gates after all).  There isn't really enough room for a train turntable, and a traverser would mean some major structural alterations to clear the mechanism.  So the choice is between a pivoting sector plate or cassettes. In both cases accurate rail alignment and reliable power feed are the main issues: at least with a sector plate I can feed all the roads direct and put isolating sections at the far end, so that just leaves accurate alignment.  More thinking needed (I think).

Richard

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #249 on: September 26, 2016, 07:56:59 PM »
@belstone

Thinking this morning about the fiddle yard.  I want to get rid of that turnout (which might give me enough room for powered crossing gates after all).  There isn't really enough room for a train turntable, and a traverser would mean some major structural alterations to clear the mechanism.  So the choice is between a pivoting sector plate or cassettes. In both cases accurate rail alignment and reliable power feed are the main issues: at least with a sector plate I can feed all the roads direct and put isolating sections at the far end, so that just leaves accurate alignment.  More thinking needed (I think).

Richard

Or a traverser ?

Alignment is always difficult from something like a sector plate or traverser.
I would have thought lining up cassettes is easiest once you've set up a female receiving end, which could act as your power supply too. I think there are some good examples in the 2mmfs world.

Cheers
Kirky

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #250 on: September 26, 2016, 08:33:28 PM »
Now I have got home and looked at the layout I think it will have to be cassettes as the point control panel would get in the way of a sector plate, and the panel supports are stuck to the baseboard with Tigerseal, so it isn't going to be easy to move. Cassettes make loco turning easy - just turn the whole train round and try not to drop it on the floor :) I have just been looking at aluminium channel, 40 x 25 x 2mm in 500mm lengths which I think would do nicely with lengths of code 80 glued to it.  It's made to a consistent size which makes horizontal alignment easy, it just needs to slot between two pieces of ali angle glued to the baseboard at each end. The Finetrax rail tops are around 6.2mm above baseboard level (including the balsa trackbed), code 80 is around 4.2mm - perfect. A couple of spring steel tongues bearing on the cassette end will take care of vertical alignment which just leaves power.  Simplest solution - a pair of flying leads and small crocodile clips at the far end of the fiddle yard.  This might be easier than I thought.

Richard

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #251 on: September 26, 2016, 08:40:14 PM »
I've seen many a smallish layout at shows using cassettes made from 'L' shaped aluminium (or aluminum for our US members) with either track in them or no track at all (the edges of the aluminium are used as track) and powered via crocodile clips.
They always seem to work pretty faultlessly.

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #252 on: September 26, 2016, 10:43:28 PM »
Thats exactly what I was thinking Mick.
And I like those cassette systems where by the power is directly transfered from the female end to the aluminium angle sides - kind of a springy lip on each side. Hard to describe easy to see with a picture
Theres something here
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=11121&forum_id=21&jump_to=227801

but I just googled .model railway cassette alignment and clicked on images and there are loads - mainly from larger scales but hey ho.

Cheers
Kirky

Offline JasonBz

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #253 on: September 27, 2016, 12:59:33 AM »
I am still a keen reader on here, even if my slight modelling doings of late have been not very NGF friendly :P

To hold cassettes to the fixed entry port from the main layout I can think of nothing that works as well as Bulldog Clips.....
They give alignment and power transfer in one easy clip :)

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #254 on: September 28, 2016, 10:50:40 PM »
I'm not going to do any more scenic work on the layout until I have this fiddle yard issue sorted out. I'm messing about with odd bits including a working signal and the Methodist chapel frontage mentioned earlier, but nothing very exciting. At some point I will have to finish off the roofs on all my card buildings which is even less exciting. So to cheer myself up I took some photos of Longframlington looking a bit busier and more prosperous than usual, with a special train for Rothbury races awaiting departure, and plenty of freight traffic.

Richard

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything