!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Teuchter Line a West Highland based model  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Arrowflyer

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Teuchter Line a West Highland based model
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2019, 07:41:18 PM »
Bought a new loco, a Dapol Caledonian Sleeper Class 67.
Absolutely lovely but.....

This is my second. The first, the lights did not work, the decoder was very loose in the housing and it did not run well. Quick swap out by the vendor, and all good.

I love this. Itís been on my primary list since I started this layout in January 19!

So, couple of short videos.

Sleeper first run with 5 coaches as a mix of MK 2 & 3.

Close up through the tunnels

Class 67 on its way to Corrour

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2019, 07:45:19 PM »
thanks colin

lovely short video.you pleased with your new loco ?

Offline Arrowflyer

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2019, 07:46:57 PM »
Pick your collective brains?

My new Class 67 has been enjoying a run around then just stopped. A few seconds later it carried on then stopped.  Itís done it a few times but then runs ok.  Canít be dirty track as it stops at different places.

This is on a Z21 Black Dcc with Zimo MX617n chip. 
Canít figure it out. Donít  think itís overheating.

Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 07:58:01 PM by Arrowflyer »

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2019, 07:54:21 PM »
colin

ntpntpntp is recommended. track cleaning, loco servicing, clean wheels of coaches ?

Offline Arrowflyer

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2019, 07:55:34 PM »
thanks colin

lovely short video.you pleased with your new loco ?

Thanks. Yes the detail is superb.
I do have a couple of issues. Not with the loco, but my scenery/modelling. The detail is great but it means that there are parts such as the suspension and motor housings that are quite low. Much lower than my other locos.  So itís catching on the point motor pin on 2 points and derailing, and itís catching on the ramp on my station. So will need to tweak these a bit.

Aside from than I really enjoy the full 5 coach train length running through the scenery. its even easily managed my climb up to Fort William which is running at 1:25 /  1:30 gradients with ease.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2019, 08:02:57 PM »
Please do share scenery concerns. check the platform edges, the loco / stock should run clear of any bridge sides /platform edges
obstructions
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 08:10:09 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline Arrowflyer

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2019, 09:35:23 PM »
Please do share scenery concerns. check the platform edges, the loco / stock should run clear of any bridge sides /platform edges
obstructions

So here are a couple of photos of the trouble I'm having with the Class 67.  Its definitely not a loco issue, defo more of my immaturity / inexperience of modelling.
This is on my first platform - Corrour.  I've had a few attempts at it to get it right - height, width.  This version I fully tested before gluing down.
However, with the Class 67, it's catching on the middle part indicated. 

For example, it's catching on the level crossing.  Now, this is my fault, it does sit a bit proud.  After I glued it all down, I had already thought I should have sanded the side that fits on sleepers to a 45 deg angle to level it off, but as the locos & coaches had no issues, I left it.  Class 67 catches it.  It was proud by less than 0.5mm i guess.

Similarly the platform was OK, but just a tad wide for the 67, so it rubs on the platform edge and lifts off the rails.  I realised that's because the same part is catching on the up ramp and lifting the loco up.  So again my fault as the platform is 1mm too wide.  It also made me realise the track is not dead straight, so dips by 0.5mm in the middle causing the catch.  Solution is to sand it down and redo the platform edge decal.  Not ideal, and risks me getting it wrong.

I think the issue with the points is similar.  I can see the Cobalt point bar coming through the hole in the side of the point movement; is just proud of the Peco code 55 point knobbly thing  :D and I can also see there is a slight dip between the point and the connecting part of the track.  Should be easy to lift up 0.5mm.  Again not an issue for my other locos, but the 67 is a little longer, so is spanning the dip I think.

So down to my lack of precision.  I'm learning that if track is not perfect, you get all sorts of issues.  Part of the reason why I'm still stuck on Level 1 - I've been learning so that when I get to the main track sections on the layout, I hopefully will have ironed all this out.

The Class 67 culprit part:

The fix for the level crossing

Where it's catching on the platform edge and I tried filing it a bit.  Seems to fix it.

and just to prove it me not the loco, I was building a fence around the crossing, but did not take into account the movement of the coaches as it goes round the curve, so it catches.

All part of the learning process, if a little frustrating.

So a it of trimming to do........

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2019, 09:47:12 PM »
always take into account the movement of the coaches as they travel round the curves.  if one has realised that a part is catching on the up ramp and lifting the loco up.trim the platform 1mm baclk 

if the track is not dead straight, so dips by 0.5mm in the middle causing the catch.  Solution is to sand it down and redo the platform edge decal.

see tutorials for track laying,somebody else may help with that issue - sorry am not an expert or use cobalts

Offline Arrowflyer

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2019, 10:12:31 PM »
So just to recap this weekends fun.  Apart from new loco running.
I've been continuing the Corrour Station modelling.

I'm really happy with the platform and buildings.  The detailing matches the photo I'm copying. 
Corrour station has a foot crossing over to the Station House restaurant.  You can also stay (airBnB I think) in the signal box.  I guess ideal if you want do do a spot of hill walking and like trains.

So a photo of the path...

The path is red grit.  So I've been working on that.  I found some great coloured 120 grade sandpaper at B&Q. It has a fab granite look, so thought I'd use that.

but when I painted the paper (dry brushing), it bled a lot and TBH, much of the backing paper lifted away and the result was a bit of a patchy mess.  I used it on the foot crossing and was OK, but again, when I painted the edges, white, it bled a bit.  I've left that as it looks oddly weathered.  You can see it in the photo below.

So I tried using tile grout.  This is fab and gave the slight roughness I wanted.  However, when I painted it, it blended too much with the beige grout colour and just looked pink.  The more red I added, the more pink it got!  Right scrap that.

Settled on Woodlands Scenics fine ballast Iron Ore which I bought ages ago as I though it would add a good contrast to ballast for this region.  It makes a great path though as the ballast is so fine - like sand or grout.

The fence is made from Ratio 217 fencing with the bottom rung cut off and replaced with some fine fly screen from ebay for £1.  It's a 1mm spacing so a little big, but a good match.  It came as a black colour, so I dry brushed some metallic silver then overlayed with a darker grey wash.

So Corrour coming along.  Will be a few more weeks yet as garden beckons.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2019, 10:21:47 PM »
Scenics look great

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2019, 01:29:30 AM »
Corrour station, ideal location for a bit of  train spotting
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 02:12:33 AM by themadhippy »

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2019, 03:11:29 AM »
Thank you for sharing. Very realistic scenery. Pleasant videos

Offline Arrowflyer

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2019, 06:55:08 PM »
Corrour station, ideal location for a bit of  train spotting

Now I wonder if Noch do skinhead figures!

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2019, 06:58:31 PM »
looking good colin

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP