!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Revolution Trains PFA/KFA container wagons  (Read 32953 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Revolution Trains PFA/KFA container wagons
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2016, 05:30:03 PM »
All those transition era modellers are "of a certain age" and perhaps less likely to accept kickstarters as the way to go for these types of projects.

A very brave statement, Nemo :laugh:
Being a transition modeller and thus of a certain age, I bucked my 'No Rule 1' thinking and did order a Pendolino as I wanted to see RevolutioN succeed in their aims and become established in the market. That perspective has not changed for me and I still wish them all success in the world.
I guess we transition era folks are adequately supplied, although how anyone can ignore one of the largest classes and most widespread UK wise i.e. the Stanier 8F which is crying out for a retool is beyond me. Unless one can be found on Fleabay or a shop in the back of beyond, they are just not available.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 05:57:37 PM »
Wow - quite a mixed reaction! Thanks to those who are pleased but for everyone who is disappointed please bear in mind this is only our second item of stock!

The KFA is from 1987 (nearly 30 years old!) so has much more spread than just post-privatisation.

If anyone has bright ideas of transition era rolling stock then we are happy to hear them. 

Cheers

Mike

Offline jpendle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 06:03:16 PM »
Hi Guys,

Have you considered getting some Bin liner containers done? RTR or kits would work for me.

Arran Aird already does the MOD containers, perhaps he would be interested?

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 06:08:06 PM »
Oh dear - another modern image project :(
I'm disappointed and bemused that, in a recent poll I conducted, by far the majority of folks who voted were transition era modellers yet those modellers don't seem to vote for any of the transition era suggestions. For sure, maybe those suggestions weren't what they wanted, and I recognise you can't please everyone all of the time but it looks as if I will have to rely on D.J. Models to come up with anything 'different', and so far we haven't seen any models in N gauge to test.
Having said all that, don't ask me what I would like because I just don't know :-[
These wagons are not something I'll be buying either - again too modern for any era I model. But I'd certainly not describe myself as 'disappointed' though... Quite the opposite. I'm delighted that the response to the two products so far has given Revolution/Rapido confidence to start on another so quickly. Even though it may not be everyone's individual niche, it shows a future for the hobby and the scale despite what some doom merchants may say.

I suspect in the first choices there is an element of what Ben & Mike know and model themselves as well as the era that had the most response in the recent proposals. I'll say be patient and let these models prove the concept then they may get more adventurous and move outside that comfort zone...

As for waiting for DJM, at least we have tangible N gauge product from Revolution and in a much shorter timescale...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 06:38:30 PM by PLD »

ScottyStitch

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 06:26:25 PM »
Wow - quite a mixed reaction! Thanks to those who are pleased but for everyone who is disappointed please bear in mind this is only our second item of stock!

The KFA is from 1987 (nearly 30 years old!) so has much more spread than just post-privatisation.

If anyone has bright ideas of transition era rolling stock then we are happy to hear them. 

Cheers

Mike

MK1 POT. Gresley TPO. Newton Chambers Car Carriers.......

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 06:27:28 PM »

Cheers

Mike

Well Mike, no one seems to be interested in 35t Class B tanks, and they are an interesting, broad era (1957 to well into diesel era) and well-travelled option.
They fill the gap nicely between the old style 20t 10 foot wheelbase tanks and the 15 foot TTA at 45t.
A rake of 21 weathered ones with Esso logos please, to go behind my 9F and/or 33 on route to/from Fawley.

Bob

ScottyStitch

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2016, 06:30:54 PM »

Cheers

Mike

Well Mike, no one seems to be interested in 35t Class B tanks, and they are an interesting, broad era (1957 to well into diesel era) and well-travelled option.
They fill the gap nicely between the old style 20t 10 foot wheelbase tanks and the 15 foot TTA at 45t.
A rake of 21 weathered ones with Esso logos please, to go behind my 9F and/or 33 on route to/from Fawley.

Bob

Was just about to edit my post to include the 35T class B tanks......

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2016, 06:37:35 PM »
Hello all,

Thanks to those who came and chatted to us at the York show today.  Great to meet so many people.

The KFAs seem to be going down well - as Mike says they are nearly 30 years old now and we've gone further back in time with this one than any of our previous models.

The transition era question is a tricky one.  Generating the publicity material, research, social media presence, exhibition handouts and of course actually striking a deal with a manufacturer is not trivial and takes us many hours of work.

Received wisdom is that it's the most popular period and yet we tried and failed with the Class 21/9 which is slap bang in the middle.  Our research showed these locos operated from London to most of East Anglia, across Scotland and down as far as Birmingahm on occasion. 

Indeed, the locos were arguably more widespread than the Pendolino in operation, and in some ways required less of a leap of faith since we had already shown significant evidence of progress when we launched.

The Pendolino is not just selling to those modelling the WCML. Many people are buying to support the crowd-funding concept, because they feel this, as the first, is something special, or because they like iconic trains.

I accept that the 21/9 doesn't exactly fit that bill, but it was quirky, interesting, cute in a fugly kind of way and going with Dapol we felt would reassure people that the face would be right, since they've got the same face right on the 22.

And modern modellers have also stepped up for the TEA tankers, and the 320/321s, even though they are, in some ways, georgraphically or operationally limited.

And yet... Not nearly enough people stepped up for the 21/9.  Wrong location, wrong loco, wrong livery, wrong era.   Lots and lots of perfectly reasonable excuses on an individual basis, but collectively they send the message that transition era modellers are either unwilling to compromise, or take a punt on something, or simply uninterested in engaging in this production model.

And not just our model.  DJM/Karhedron Autocoach, N-tastic mermaids... All failed.

All that's perfectly fine, and I have no problem with it, but that is the basic reason why we have gone back to what we are confident will generate enough interest.

Bearing in mind that Mike and I have no gut feeling about this era - we don't model it or know it - then we just have to go with empirical experience.

Cheers

Ben A.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 07:12:15 PM by Ben A »

Offline gc4946

• N Gauge Society Number: 5936
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2016, 06:47:34 PM »

Cheers

Mike

Vanwides and their refurbishment as VEAs
Diesel brake tenders
Bogie Bolster E and their re-building as Turbots
Gresley 61' BG/pigeon vans (lasted well into the 70s)
BR continental ferry van (VIX)

"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Offline G_N_E_R

• I enjoy cigars, scotch, polo and N gauge
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2016, 07:02:08 PM »
I'm being a nonce and can't see where to order the wagon from :headbutt: can anyone help?  :bounce: Cheers!

Ps. How can I persuade you to make a 92!
Kindest Regards
Phil

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 07:04:02 PM »
Click on shop then N gauge and then KFA.

Cheers Mike

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 07:12:24 PM »

Vanwides and their refurbishment as VEAs
Diesel brake tenders
Bogie Bolster E and their re-building as Turbots
Gresley 61' BG/pigeon vans (lasted well into the 70s)
BR continental ferry van (VIX)

All good ideas unfortunately most have been done as kits (some by Parkwood now NGS) that wouldn't make too much sense to duplicate as we're trying to expand what is available (plus the issue of whether the market is big enough).

Cheers

M

Offline Smiffy

• N Gauge Society Number: 18903
  • 2mm Association Number: 4323
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2016, 07:34:26 PM »
Will probably only have a couple for a RHTT set and a couple to add to a container train, a suitable bin liner container might have had me opting for more.  But I think my funds won't stretch that far as deposits for two 321s and light bars for the Pendolinos, plus 2 new mattresses and a fridge freezer, have my wallet screaming.

Do GBRF use there's on container traffic or just for Gypsum?

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2016, 07:45:44 PM »
All good ideas unfortunately most have been done as kits (some by Parkwood now NGS) that wouldn't make too much sense to duplicate as we're trying to expand what is available (plus the issue of whether the market is big enough).

Exactly. I think we all have wish lists (an EM1, a Metropolitan line Bo-Bo, and a 4TC would all be on it) but in all honesty I can't see any of these as "must haves" for those modellers not interested in the post-privatisation railways.

We're actually quite lucky that the NGS cranks out some brilliant kits for anyone modelling from the 1920s onwards. So even the relatively obvious gaps in the RTR market are likely to be pluggable using kits.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline Thorpe Parva

• N Gauge Society Number: 21786
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2016, 08:38:40 PM »

Cheers

Mike

Bob

As a Transition Era modeller I would certainly be interested in these as I had several built from Airfix Kits in my 4mm modelling days.

A couple of other Wagons that spring to mind are the Palbrick & 20t Coke Hopper although I realise that the 2mm Society have etched kits for these.

I'm pretty well served by RTR & Kits for my era/location except for the one major missing item which is the Class 28.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here